Author Topic: 2018 SWAP Chatter #2 (continued)  (Read 40626 times)

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
Re: 2018 SWAP Chatter #2 (continued)
« Reply #245 on: February 23, 2018, 06:56:59 AM »
When I went back through the blog posts counting them up I was suprised at how many it was, I thought maybe 7 or 8, but I made the pattern in mid October so it has been a while now.

It is a no brainer to me. If the cut of something is flattering to your body, why not have some more the same. Since we can sew we can then use the colours and fabrics available to us to have that shape in the fabrics of our choice.

Offline dementedfairy

• The Demented Fairy blog
« Reply #246 on: February 23, 2018, 06:21:05 PM »
I'm with you on that one Ruthie- the missus was commenting on my latest selection for cutting out yesterday, and said: 'ANOTHER asymmetrical pieced top?  Can't you make something different?'
Cheek!
They are all different, and I don't think anyone would point the finger and spot that I'm only using a couple of favoured patterns again and again...well, maybe, but who cares?
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
« Reply #247 on: February 25, 2018, 06:27:32 AM »
I need to figure out a way to keep the facing from showing through on the thinner fabrics - will probably only be a problem on the silk.
In response to CCL's query, I was remembering an article in Threads long ago, about using fabric that matched your personal skin tone as a way to create facings that were a lot less visible in sheer fabric. Not sure what issue it was in, but they had some amazing photos of different models of varying skin colors and garments with ordinary facings or skin tone facings. Might be an option that would help with your project...
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #248 on: February 25, 2018, 09:17:54 AM »
Thanks, IndigoTiger, that's a great idea!

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #249 on: February 25, 2018, 01:56:23 PM »
Piping up to say "hi" and "fabulous sewing everyone!"

I am still on hold, we are having a fun time showing our French student the area. We have gotten a foot or so of snow since she has been here, and she is loving it!

I am plotting SWAP and other sewing projects in my head for now.
Wendy

Offline treefrog

• SWAP Addict :-)
    • sew Treefrog
« Reply #250 on: February 26, 2018, 01:20:51 AM »
Another week seems to have flown by.  Thanks for the comments on my jeans and also the interest in the weaving setup.  I'm now up to the fun part of actually making cloth (yay, happy times!). Stephanie, if you want to have a try at weaving, check to see if there is a handweavers group in your area.  They are likely to run 'come and try' days ( with the warp already set up) and may have spare looms for beginners to dip their toes into the water.  Just be warned though, their enthusiasm is infectious :-)

IndigoTiger  Your AB cardigan is amazing!  I can't get over the thought of wearing four layers.  How cold does it get where you are? We have such vastly different climates as I'd only wear a jacket for 3-4 months of the year. 

Mary  I think I've decided to go with the lighter colour option.  I find that I'm wearing the geometric top a lot at the moment and I'm more drawn to the lighter colours over summer.  The fabric that I'm weaving is for this first set, so it gives me motivation to keep plucking ( or to use a weaving term, picking) away at it.  The second set would be better for winter, so I'll work on it after SWAP finishes.

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
« Reply #251 on: February 26, 2018, 02:35:46 AM »
treefrog - I am so impressed that you are starting by weaving the fabric for one of your tops! That will surely be a special component of your SWAP...

It doesn't get as cold here as it does in some parts of the USA, I live in the maritime Pacific Northwest, so we don't get the deep cold of the interior of the continent in the wintertime. That said, our winter temperatures can get down to 0ºC or lower from time to time, plus my wee cottage has almost no insulation, so I set the heat at 16ºC, and it is quite cold for me indoors in the winter. I figure it is easier to put on another layer than to pay more for heat!
※※※
Did a bit of sewing room tidying, and I have cut out another two SWAP garments, and am hoping to get those well underway in the next week... going to use Ruthies method and get some work on them done every day... The wool plaid pinafore, plus I found the indigo marble/batik rayon, which is mostly a blue/black, with a few rusty bits as accent... is cut out to make a popover dress, which can be layered between a pinafore and a turtleneck, or worn as a top under a pinafore, or by itself in the heat of the summer. Both garments can be stitched up with indigo thread, so I guess it is time to swap out my serger cones... If I do that tonight, I will be ready to go tomorrow!
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
  • Fall down eight times. Get up nine times.
« Reply #252 on: February 26, 2018, 03:45:29 AM »
Wendy: That is so nice! Enjoy your French student's stay. We had exchange students when I was a kid. We are in Canada so one was from the east coast and another from Quebec. It was great to meet people from different parts of the country and in the case of the second one, to have a francophone in the house.

Treefrog:  That's a great idea! I know there is a spinners' guild so I am sure that there are also weavers. My grandmother was a wonderful weaver and I always imagined that I would learn one day. Both spinning and weaving are on the list for sure. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Indigotiger: The nude facing is such a sensible solution but I never would have thought of it!

CCL: I didn't know what you meant by a French cheesemaker shirt and now I do. That's great and exactly how I would imagine one to be! Enjoy the me sewing. :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 03:47:40 AM by stephaniecan »

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #253 on: February 26, 2018, 09:26:29 AM »
I've sidestepped from the SWAP to have a go at the subtraction dress.  I watched some videos, did some thinking, and got it sussed in my head [the pattern instructions are minimal to the extreme] then dived in.  All worked well, until I turned it all right side out and held it up by the shoulders...and it looks like  a sock that's been eaten by a giraffe then regurgitated.  Totally mangled.  Somewhere along the line of cutting and joining pairs of enormous circular holes, I must have twisted one part of the dress through another, effectively knotting it.  At LEAST once.
And of course, I overlocked it for 'speed and neatness' so now I have to try to disassemble a totally chaotic un-geometry of loops.
Whose idea was this?

More on the blog here
https://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2018/02/26/a-subtraction-addition-but-not-yet/
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

Offline Lisanne

• Subscribed Member
  • southern England
« Reply #254 on: February 26, 2018, 12:25:38 PM »
I've sidestepped from the SWAP to have a go at the subtraction dress

Demented Fairy - that looks like an amazing challenge - only for mathematicians ?  I'm definitely only an armchair explorer, even of sewing, so I look forward to reading about your further adventures  ;D
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #255 on: February 26, 2018, 07:33:14 PM »
Apparently it's anti-mathematical.  Which makes sense, as it isn't bloody well working for me!  Progress [or lack thereof] so far:
https://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2018/02/26/sub-par-subtraction/

Offline M lambie

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #256 on: February 26, 2018, 08:45:17 PM »
Oh dear!

I don't know if this will help, but I watched this video of a woman making her version of the dress after doing his class. She does put it on at the end so she must have done something right. You may already have seen this.

ETA I think she does a simpler version than the one in the pattern.

Good luck getting it sorted! It will be so cool when it's done. Have a few drinks and carry on. ;)

Somehow, your blog rant did not put me off trying this myself, although I see much fabric wastage in my future...  ;D :D :'( ::)

ETA2 - did you download the booklet from his site?

« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 08:48:13 PM by M lambie »

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #257 on: February 26, 2018, 09:03:41 PM »
I will watch the vids [every little helps] Yes I've read the booklet, so I think I do get the idea...I'm starting to wonder if it's something that only works for smaller sizes?  The bigger the pieces you subtract, the smaller it gets I suppose...and I ain't small!

Offline Elephun

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #258 on: February 26, 2018, 10:11:52 PM »
DF, there is one review of the dress pattern on PR by DorothyK.

I made one of these dresses probably 10 years ago. It was really just a muslin, to see how it worked. I didn't cut and sew all of the circles, just a pair or two. The fabric I was using turned out to be really shoddy and would tear as soon as I looked at it, so I decided my sanity was more important than a muslin with 6 holes in it.

In response to a question you raised on your blog, I'm of the opinion that you can thread yourself through none of the pairs of circles, some of them, or all of them, but I'm not sure what Mr. Roberts or physics would tell you.

Did you lay out your bodice like it is in the instruction diagram? The back bodice ends up being partially on the front of the tube, and the back of the dress is made from the back of the tube. There is a seam across the back that was the seam that was across the top of the tube. I hope that makes sense.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 10:44:46 PM by Elephun »

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #259 on: February 26, 2018, 10:39:36 PM »
I decided [in my wisdom] to go with version A but skewed the bodice pieces like version B.  I have a horrible feeling I've made the tube too narrow, but I did follow the instructions, and the circles wouldn't have fitted in any other way.  Very confusing!

Offline Lisanne

• Subscribed Member
  • southern England
« Reply #260 on: February 26, 2018, 10:42:03 PM »
I enjoyed the photo in the PR review by Dorothy Kaplan of a Barbie doll wearing one made from 2 yards of fabric. . .
https://www.flickr.com/photos/10182123@N02/5777886417/sizes/l/in/set-72157626790998100/
I didn't know it was possible to make anything for Barbie needing 2 yards of fabric !
It’s not very helpful in understanding how the dress works, except it looks as if it might be good idea to experiment with different fabrics for front and back.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 12:20:57 PM by Lisanne »

https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Offline Elephun

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #261 on: February 26, 2018, 11:13:25 PM »
I made a miniature version when I saw Dorothy's. It was a helpful step before diving in to the full size dress.

I've always wanted to make a real dress for myself using this technique/pattern. If I do, I might piece fabric, so my tube is a bit wider than it would be if it were made from 60" fabric. I've been planning this for 10 years, so please don't anyone hold your breath awaiting the arrival of this project  :eyelashes:

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #262 on: February 27, 2018, 07:59:40 AM »
I'm going to start with the horrors of major unpicking of overlocked seams, then slow stage by stage reassembly, plus allowing myself to add random gores and gussets from the subtracted fabric.  I WILL break this!

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #263 on: February 27, 2018, 08:09:03 AM »
I'm hoping tonight to get back into sewing again.
I had a break whilst sorting and tidying.
The conservatory, sewing room and study do look better for it.

Machines are still threaded up with brown and I've started to look at what alterations I would want to New Look 6786 to make a cardigan I really would like. I will be good to have another TNT pattern.

Offline LyndaC

• Subscribed Member
Re: Sew Ruthie Style 2018 (comments on SWAP 2018 Chatter thread please)
« Reply #264 on: February 27, 2018, 04:14:01 PM »
That teal color seems to be great for you!

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #265 on: February 28, 2018, 07:09:49 AM »
Thanks Lynda, I'm back sewing and have started a cardigan in this fabric

more brown and teal. Hope to finish that today.

Offline AnnetteB

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #266 on: February 28, 2018, 08:11:54 AM »
Wow Ruthie!!! That fabric is great!! I can't wait to see your cardigan. It will be a great accessory for all your brown garments.
Annette
Queensland Australia

Offline LyndaC

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #267 on: February 28, 2018, 04:51:56 PM »
I am glad Jalie prints on heavier paper because that T-shirt (2005) cannot be beat for me!  It is the only T-shirt pattern I use.  I have tweeked it to have a little more shaping at the waist and added an extra 2” eased in at the front side seam bust area (only the front) for a DDD cup, but that is ALL it needed.  It has the narrower shoulder seam RTW uses. 

I have never used the ¾ sleeve option on the Jalie, but that is personal preference.

Offline LyndaC

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #268 on: February 28, 2018, 05:00:18 PM »
Would those of you who like using pieced tops give us some hints for things that worked well for you? 
Do you prefer straight pieces? Curved?  Combination?
I would assume keeping the colors in flattering related tones works best?
How do you control different textures in the pieces?
What were some of your most successful pieced tops?  Why?

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #269 on: February 28, 2018, 05:40:47 PM »
I've not done a multi fabric item for a while but when I did I chose
- fabrics of the same weight, fabric type and stretchiness (all jersey for example)
- one print which tied the others in to the scheme

I made the pattern by cutting up a tracing of a TNT. I had two versions, one with side panels and one with a cutabout crazy paving front.

Here are some examples.
Cutabout tee using only one fabric but in different directions

Contrast panels (only 1 print)

Side panels

Offline LyndaC

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #270 on: February 28, 2018, 06:21:07 PM »
Great work, Ruthie!  It looks like you put the seams on the outside on some of the seams to emphasize the bias fraying.  Did you?  Any other creative ideas you used?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 11:12:40 PM by LyndaC »

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #271 on: February 28, 2018, 08:16:24 PM »
Those are great pieced tops Ruthie!
I am back! Just dropped our student at the airport for her trip back home. We had a wonderful time.
During my hiatus, I have decided on the Blackwood cardigan for my purple wool double knit. I hope it is not too heavy, but I am going to just go for it. Planning on ordering the pattern today.
Also planning on sewing up the coral tank, with a few modifications to fix up the neckline and armhole for better coverage. I am at a course this weekend, so will still be slowly sewing.
Wendy

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #272 on: February 28, 2018, 09:53:10 PM »
I've done harmoniously pieced, and strong contrast pieced.  Various weights of jersey, and totally out-of-whack.  Curved and straight.  Woven plus knit a LOT [Style Arc started me on that one]
The overlocker has dealt with 95% of it without issue.  When piecing wovens,  I prefer to reinforce the overlocking with a straight machine stitch as it sometimes pulls apart.
A very few fabrics try to play up, and a narrow strip of iron on interfacing usually deals with that little game!  It's usually the hem that plays up, stitching across lots of different fabrics
Style Arc Lani, 2 wovens, 2 jerseys
Style Arc Tootsie, 2 jersey, 1 stretch woven
Butterick 6287
Another B6287

Offline Lisanne

• Subscribed Member
  • southern England
« Reply #273 on: March 01, 2018, 08:42:18 AM »
Thanks Demented Fairy, very helpful.
I've long remembered an Eileen Fisher top made from velvet and charmeuse, and wondered how they made it at commercial speeds !

Offline LillieT

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #274 on: March 02, 2018, 12:15:42 AM »
Most of my pieced garments are either all knit or all woven.  I intend to try piecing both together soon in a tee shirt.  The top that I am including in my SWAP that is pieced has gentle curves in the princess seams and the seam in the center front.  The back yoke is quite curved.  Unfortunately, I don't have a pic of the back, but do the front.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 12:18:09 AM by LillieT »

Offline treefrog

• SWAP Addict :-)
    • sew Treefrog
« Reply #275 on: March 02, 2018, 02:37:09 AM »
I'm impressed by the pieced tops.  They look so good.  I don't have the 'eye' for combining prints and tend to stick with a one print and a matching solid.

Just had my weaving yarn arrive in the mail this morning so I'm looking forward to making progress on my top this weekend.  I can't believe it is March already.  Half way though SWAP and I've only made three items for it. 

Mary  So glad you got the sewing machine going.  Don't be concerned about taking a machine to a general machine repairer if its no longer under warranty.   Our local guy is really great.  Often when he is really busy, he'll just sell me the part and tell me how to fix it myself.  Sometimes I wonder how he stays in business.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 02:47:54 AM by treefrog »

Offline embees

« Reply #276 on: March 02, 2018, 09:22:19 PM »
Oof, work kind of ate my life for two weeks in there.  But sewing will resume, oh yes!

I appreciate the thoughtful comments on my print pants; stephaniecan & sew ruthie sews - your comments really hit it on the head, for me.  Those who can/do wear bold prints all the time, or otherwise dress for joy & attention have my admiration - it's just not my comfort zone. These pants are enough that they'd be a "sometimes" item, toned down with a plain t-shirt (etc) for casual wear.  So they're still in the closet, but evicted from SWAP :)

dementedfairy - your early description of the subtraction dress ("and it looks like a sock that's been eaten by a giraffe then regurgitated") caused me to literally laugh out loud! Sorry for your frustrations, but thanks for the evocative turns of phrase.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #277 on: March 02, 2018, 09:59:54 PM »
Welcome back embees.

I have made quite a few brown cardigan jackets. I do have even more brown or brown based fabric for cardigans but it feels like that avenue has run out of steam for now.
So I am going to take advantage of this weekend to work on some trousers (pants) which needed more refinement. These will also be brown but after I've made two pairs in different styles I think I am going to change thread colour and make some ivory things.
I will have made 21 items using brown thread by that point which is an awful lot (its 19 at the moment), I must really like brown!! Some of items are other colours as well but I used brown thread on them.
In comparison I only made 8 teal things before I stopped. I do want to revisit teal as well at some point but the ivory feels like it would come first.

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
  • Fall down eight times. Get up nine times.
« Reply #278 on: March 03, 2018, 05:25:47 AM »
You are all incredible! (I just thought I'd say that.)

No sewing for me this week, unfortunately. I really need to get going! This weekend will be stay-in-my-pyjamas-hit-the-machine-running sew-a-palooza. (OK, so I put on clothes to sew, as I dread the thought of getting pins stuck in my pyjamas and then not realizing it.)

Mary: So glad to hear that you got your sewing machine up and running!

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #279 on: March 03, 2018, 09:28:01 AM »
It's been another rough week at work, battling mismanagement, but at least we had Friday as a snow day.  I didn't do any sewing, just vegged out, de-stressed, and enjoyed the batch baking I'd done.  Yum.  IS there anything nicer than looking through a window at heavy snow, while warm and snug, and eating home-baked goodies? I think not!
Sewing planned today though- I want to try again to rescue the subtraction dress, and also sew up a pair of black trousers for SWAP...and get cracking on my new outfit for interviews.  I fear this may be needed sooner than expected.