Author Topic: 2018 SWAP Chatter #2 (continued)  (Read 40620 times)

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
  • Fall down eight times. Get up nine times.
Re: 2018 SWAP Chatter #2 (continued)
« Reply #210 on: February 15, 2018, 09:37:07 PM »
Mary: I just loved your moment of clarity post - helpful for me to read. Thanks for sharing!

Offline marciae

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #211 on: February 15, 2018, 09:40:19 PM »
Thanks Lisa - That's another pattern I 'had' to have and have never made up.

Offline anna.wahnsinn

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #212 on: February 16, 2018, 01:43:40 AM »
Whew. After dropping out of last year's SWAP and then being somewhat weirded out by the designer collection thing in November) I just spent practically all my free time today and yesterday catching up on this year's first SWAP chatter thread and the individual threads. Lots of familiar names still here, and lots of new ones, too! I always enjoy going over the different plans and colour schemes, and it did help me realize that this year's rules and theme are (again!) perfect for me! Add to that a few hours on an ideas board too (that post mentioning keynote was perfect, thank you!) and shuffling around of shapes and priorities, now there are about 7 pages on thread #2 left to go, but I wanted to jump in now before I fall asleep on the keyboard – it's 2.30am.

Even though it is February already I really want to join again. As all my items are very simple garments that ought to come together fast once I know what I'm doing with each pattern I still ought to be able to make it by the end of April. I even made one piece already in January, a pair of black yoga pants (I'll work on finding the correct sizing though, it's turned out too big) that I'm wearing constantly.

I'll recycle my 2017 SWAP plan, I just might have to find a second print that I'd like to wear because I suddenly seem to be in need of a dark purple patterned skirt. Or a tunic. Or both! And here I was thinking the brown jersey with teal polkadots was enough of an adventure for me...
Anne

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #213 on: February 16, 2018, 07:01:26 AM »
welcome anna, lovely to have you with us.

Offline Lisanne

• Subscribed Member
  • southern England
« Reply #214 on: February 16, 2018, 09:57:54 AM »
Sure Fit Designs have just published a sewing planner for the year.
https://surefitdesigns.com/pages/sfd-sewing-design-challenge-2018-info
[you do have to give them your e-mail to get it]
Just goes to underline how different we can all be.  If I filled in forms saying what I was going to start and finish sewing and when - my sewing would come to a complete halt  ;D
I definitely need to be a ‘go where the spirit moves’ sewer (with a little discipline mixed in or nothing would get finished. . .)

Good Luck to you all for your ongoing progress, it's lovely to hear about what you are doing.  Me - needless to say I'm still working on a skirt. . .
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Offline AnnetteB

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #215 on: February 16, 2018, 10:17:30 AM »
As I understand it, the idea of the SFD challenge is to set yourself some goals (no need to share these with anyone else) for what you want to sew in the year ahead.

On registration, you get access to a PDF booklet which you can use as a planning tool and you can keep your notes there as you complete your garment/s. Once your garment is complete, you are invited to submit two photos of your completed garment to the Facebook page using your registration code as your identifier and quoting a particular hashtag. SFD will also award prizes during the duration of the challenge. I didn't really take note of the prize information; to me the prize will be to devise a plan and complete some garments using your SFD blueprints to create your own pattern or to help fit a purchased pattern and increase your wardrobe in the twelve month period.

At the moment, the SFD challenge suits my needs as I am just coming up with some TNT's and filling gaps in my wardrobe.  Once, I've lost more weight and attained my goal weight, I will be in need of a new wardrobe and hopefully, then I will participate in a SWAP.

Until then, I will happily follow everyone's progress with the current SWAP. And how much fun this is too!!
Annette
Queensland Australia

Offline treefrog

• SWAP Addict :-)
    • sew Treefrog
« Reply #216 on: February 16, 2018, 10:20:37 PM »
Sure Fit Designs have just published a sewing planner for the year.
https://surefitdesigns.com/pages/sfd-sewing-design-challenge-2018-info
[you do have to give them your e-mail to get it]
If you open the link to the PDF in a new tab/window, it goes straight to opening the PDF.  It might be quite useful for planning a SWAP.

I saw something similar to the individual project sheet on Burda's website a while ago.  Personally, the format of these are little too formal for me, but I do record a lot of similar information.  I make my sewing resolutions each year and review my progress.  And I have a notebook where I keep notes on the project.  Not everything goes in the notebook, but l'd make notes on fitting adjustments, drafting changes, sketches to check proportions or colour schemes, dye formulas, some costs etc. 

Offline treefrog

• SWAP Addict :-)
    • sew Treefrog
« Reply #217 on: February 16, 2018, 10:28:14 PM »
Yay, I've made my 2nd SWAP item - the pink pants.  I'm so far behind and still no closer to deciding which print I'll go with. 

But, I've started winding the warp for the top.  It's almost 700 warp threads.  By far the biggest number of threads I've done in a project.  Threading the heddles is really hard on my back so I might have to do a bit each day.  If I thread 100 each day, I should be weaving by this time next week.....hopefully!

Offline LillieT

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #218 on: February 18, 2018, 05:06:36 AM »
Lillie and her client are recovering from bronchopneumonia and have been out of the loop.  During the down time Lillie's client decided she wanted to come clean and admit that Lillie only exists in her head. She does, however, have these conversations with Lillie, but they will no longer be public.
I was named Lillian after my mama's mother who died of tuberculosis when she was only 17 mo. old. She always went by Lillie. After her mother died she was raised by the "wicked stepmother", a poor woman who had a hard life and probably had no idea what to do with Mama and her older brother. 
From the time Mama could remember she wanted a little girl named Lillian after her mother, who by now was a saint on a high pedastal. So, when I was born, Lillian it was. Hearing the stories of the sainted mother I began to imagine that Lillie was a super hero and when I was frightened or felt down, Lillie would step in and save the day.
My conversations with her now are more like a friend, "shall I make do with this thread that doesn't quite match, or should I go to the store?" Lillie always votes to go to the store.
Anyway, I hope this long personal post isn't inappropriate,  if it is, moderators please delete it.
I will continue to go by Lillie, it suits me at this time in my life.

Offline dementedfairy

• The Demented Fairy blog
« Reply #219 on: February 18, 2018, 08:29:49 AM »
Hope you're feeling better now Lillie!
Your story about your mum and her wicked stepmother is very similar to MY mum's tales of hers...  HER 'sainted mother' died young, mum was  about 3 I think, and her brother [who had learning difficulties] was still a  baby.  They were duly packed off to relatives so that grandad could keep his job, and then brought back when her remarried shortly afterwards.  It MUST have been more a less a business arrangement.  My nan, by all accounts, was a doting mother to the baby, not so much to my mum.  And so it goes.  She was certainly a brusque and tough woman, never showing much of a soft side to me or my siblings, but I remember her being besotted with my kids in due course.  We never see my mum and dad without stories of the evil stepmother coming out though, even now, 30 years after her death.
I find family stories fascinating!
I'm debating what to cut out with my freshly washed silk sari, so I'm doing hours of dull hand sewing on my cathedral window quilt panels instead.  DULL DULL DULL and my fingers hurt!
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
« Reply #220 on: February 18, 2018, 12:52:11 PM »
Lillie, I hope your Lillie and her client conversations continue--you write the stories so cleverly, and they're so much fun to read. I've enjoyed reading about them going head-to-head on some design detail or fabric choice. So I hope the relationship continues on in your SWAP topic.

Thanks too for your mum's story. How sad that she lost her mother at such an early age. Those fairy tale writers knew their stuff when they talked about evil stepmothers, because there certainly have been a few around. Thank heavens there are so many good stepmoms in the world too. It keeps the universe in balance.

FWIW, I had a superhero grandmother in my life and not a day goes by that I don't remember her and miss her. Superhero grandmamas are the best. ;D

I hope you're on the mend; bronchial pneumonia is no small matter, so take care of yourself.

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

Offline LillieT

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #221 on: February 18, 2018, 03:30:30 PM »
Demented Fairy - Wow! Your mum's story is very similar to my Mama's.  After her mother died, she and her brother spent some time with an Aunt and Uncle. Her daddy grew lonely for his children and made an arrangement with the "wicked stepmother", a divorced woman working in a restaurant. In the early 1900's the fact that she had been divorced was socially unacceptable. Her daddy offered this woman an honest name in exchange for caring for his children. Yep, a business arrangement. My grandparents were both dead before I was born so I have no personal memories of either if them.
Family stories are fascinating. I have intentions of writing down the stories as I remember them. Probably not entirely factual lol, but entertaining.
I did listen to Lillie and went to the store for the right shade of teal thread. I also fashioned a button from Sculpey last night while watching the Olympics - maybe I can finish this afternoon and post a pic.

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #222 on: February 19, 2018, 08:23:33 PM »
I want to comment so much more but am just stopping in briefly. Those are wonderful cardigan projects, Lillie and indigotiger. I am impressed by the detailed work and ingenuity. Beautiful.

Lillie: I have a voice in my head that is a real stickler for thread matching. :)

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #223 on: February 19, 2018, 10:24:11 PM »
IndigoTiger I just LOVE your Alabama Chanin style cardigan.
When I popped onto your thread I let out a audible whoop of delight to see it.
Looks great and will work so well with everything in your wardrobe.

Lillie your refashioned cardigan has come out beautifully. The overdying, slight felting, and crochet edging rows really transform it into something lovely.

Treefrog your jeans look great and I'm in awae of actually weaving your own fabric. It shows why handwoven fabric was such an expensive product.

CCL the zipped jacket looks great. Rememeber you are the designer and you decide what is teal :-)

Kate the high necked tops are a particular look which isn't for everyone, I hope you can decide what to do next.

I need to get back into sewing, the sewing room tidy up and sort out has rather sapping the sewing drive.

Offline M lambie

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #224 on: February 19, 2018, 10:37:42 PM »
Turquoise and Stephanie, thanks for your comments about my "moment of clarity". :) I agree, these lessons we learn are a big part of doing SWAP.

So, last Thursday I posted about going back to basics and working on TNTs... And then Friday my sewing machine died!  :'( :'( :'( It wasn't a "good" machine, it was a not great Singer from a big box store, but we were bonded and I was depressed all weekend long.  :'(

I am very fortunate that my sister gave me another sewing machine a few years ago, a Bernina 140 PE. My husband commented "that looks like a lot nicer machine" when he saw me messing with it. And yes, it is, but I miss MY machine. *heavy sigh* The Bernina is much fussier about thread type and needle size etc. and will take some adjustment. In fact I almost had a breakdown when I went to clean out the bobbin area and couldn't figure out how to reassemble everything. (Eventually I managed LOL.) In any event, it looks like my going back to basics will take me further back than I realized, as I now feel like a novice sewist starting from the beginning. Ah, and to add insult to injury, the lightbulb is burned out and I have a replacement bulb... except the new bulb is the wrong size, thanks to the dealer who sold my sister the wrong item. ::) So I can sew in the dark or wait for the new one to arrive. It's almost enough to make me want to clean the house rather than sew. ;)

So, enough of me, and back to SWAP topics...

Wow, indigotiger, your cardigan is wonderful! It fits so nicely over your other layers, too. Did you say that you traced the pattern from a knitted cardigan? I am glad it was so successful. The colors work beautifully, I love the stencil design, and your handwork is lovely. :)

Lillie, I really love your cardi as well. What a creative refashion! Your crocheted trim and rosette are so pretty. Your pieced and refashioned garments have really inspired me! Also I like your new breakdown of your SWAP colors, it looks like a great plan to me.

Treefrog, your pink jeans are great! I love the color ;D and they look very nicely made. The pictures of your weaving are fascinating as well! What a process. I suppose you might almost be at the stage where you have to choose plan A or plan B. :) I am curious to see which will win!

Towanda, how great that you've been so productive with your sewing! :) I did have to smile when I read that you were sewing garments that go with your SWAP plan, rather than your SWAP garments. But it sounds like your are now making a dent in SWAP as well! I think you must be another very efficient sewist, something I envy. :)

CCL, it's too bad that the colors of your knit jacket and the wool challis aren't really close enough to be called the same neutral. I hope you will find a way to include the jacket, but if not, at least you will have the satisfaction of wearing it. :) P.S. Ruthie just posted while I was typing, and I agree with her, you can decide if the two fabrics are just different shades of teal!

Demented Fairy, your sari fabric is awesome! So many possibilities... I wonder what you will sew! ;D

Stephanie, I read your comment about how Ruthie's "sew little, sew often" advice helped you. (Great advice, thanks, Ruthie! :D) I think I will have to try this as well as I get to know the new machine. Also I saw your blog post with all your lovely fabrics and your almost done plum skirt... I am quite excited to see how your new plan comes together. :)

Offline LillieT

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #225 on: February 19, 2018, 11:10:09 PM »
Thanks to all who commented on my cardigan, it was a really fun project, unlike the teal vest that I have finally slogged through and finished. It is a bit too big. Didn't listen to Lillie when she suggested I do a muslin first lol. I was sick, but needed to be doing something, so I just forged ahead, figuring the 12 would be a bit small, not so.
I will post a pic in my thread a bit later. I think I have a roundabout process figured out that works.

Offline crazyquilter

« Reply #226 on: February 19, 2018, 11:39:39 PM »
Indigotiger, I burst into spontaneous applause when I saw your jacket on the Alabama Chanin thread.  I don't remember ever doing that in all my years of internet.  That is such a perfect piece in general, but in particular for you and your wardrobe.  I have enjoyed being along for the ride as it came into being.

Lillie, I really like your restyled cardigan.  I love the color and your combination of sewing and crochet.  Thanks for saying what color dyes you used.  Do you mind sharing the brand?  And were they dry or liquid?  I have been wanting to dye some things just that color, or one very near it.  I like the crocheted flower broach too.  Very nicely done.  One of our grandsweeties is a Lillian.  It's a beautiful name.

Mary, I feel your pain with the demise of your sewing machine.  When my old Kenmore finally bit the dust I truly think I mourned for awhile.  I had a true love/hate relationship with that machine.  It was a needle eater and wasn't happy with just any needle either.  My grandpa bought it for me and I learned to sew on it.  He went in to get a sale model and came out with the then top of the line.  I think he secretly always wanted a sewing machine himself.  Years later he finally bought himself one.  I still haven't managed to make a buttonhole on the machine I have now.  That old Kenmore buttonholer never let me down.

Demented Fairy, I'll be looking forward to seeing what you make from your lovely sari fabric.  Coincidentally, I was just perusing eBay looking for some sari scraps to make a stuffed bead necklace similar to what Indigotiger has been discussing.  I was surprised that it doesn't seem to be very costly.

Dawn

Offline LillieT

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #227 on: February 20, 2018, 12:35:03 AM »
Crazy Quilter I used Jacquard Acid Dye in what I thought was Russet, but was just tidying up and noticed it is "Chestnut". I also used Rit liquid dye in a pumpkin color called "Harvest". My method wasn't very scientific, I'm kind of a "wing it" gal so that is about as specific as I can get.  I used the stove top method.

Offline LillieT

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #228 on: February 20, 2018, 12:43:09 AM »
indigotiger Lillie finally let me look at your thread - that cardigan is splendid! What a lot of work, but oh, the satisfaction! You will be able to wear that cardigan for almost any occasion and it will go with almost any color. Well done! Lillie didn't need to worry, I know myself, I would get one rose done and be finished. Might have to dream up something that would use just one rose hmmm........

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #229 on: February 20, 2018, 02:06:32 AM »
Mary: I feel your pain over your poor machine. I have a semi-crappy machine from which, if I go too fast or rigorously, the foot falls off (regularly!). It also makes crappy buttonholes. But somehow I am bonded to it, too. :) PS Thanks for the nice comment about my plan. I am just glad that I'm finally doing something. The plum skirt is done except for the hemming so now I need to keep the momentum going and cut something out.

CCL: I love your teal top. I absolutely think it's up to you as the designer as to what colour it is. ;)

Treefrog: I am so impressed by the whole weaving thing. I would love to learn to weave.

Demented Fairy: Yes, gorgeous sari fabric!! I have decided that red is essential to my wardrobe and happiness (even though it is not part of my SWAP), so your plan is especially exciting to me.

Offline M lambie

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #230 on: February 20, 2018, 03:55:56 AM »
Mary: I feel your pain over your poor machine. I have a semi-crappy machine from which, if I go too fast or rigorously, the foot falls off (regularly!). It also makes crappy buttonholes. But somehow I am bonded to it, too. :) PS Thanks for the nice comment about my plan. I am just glad that I'm finally doing something. The plum skirt is done except for the hemming so now I need to keep the momentum going and cut something out.

Stephanie, you made me smile. :) My machine had a similar problem where the snap on feet did not want to stay on, especially the poor zipper foot (which resulted in much swearing!). :D Also the bobbin case would randomly pop out of its location resulting in horrible thread tangles. But I have to say, it did make decent buttonholes.

Dawn, it's so nice to see you posting. ;D I understand the love/hate relationship! I hope I won't have the same problem getting nice buttonholes with the newer machine. Thanks for sharing about your grandfather, it's so cool that he finally got his own machine. :)

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #231 on: February 20, 2018, 10:21:02 AM »
Indiotiger that Alabama Chanin work is AMAZING
Lillie your recycled/upcycled cardigan is delicious- beautiful work on that edging
treefrog I'm simply in awe.  Many many years ago we lived for a while in a shared house where one tenant had a full sized loom in the attic, and it fascinated me.  Amazing machines
Stephanie I've only ever had bog-standard machines too, but my vintage Singer makes the most glorious buttonholes, and it satisfies the frustrated engineer in me to watch it convert straight stitches to zigzag!  Bonus- I've just netted a Griest buttonholer which will be winging its way to me at the weekend!
I'm currently still distracted- I MUST plough on with the tedious cathedral window panels for this year's steam punk project.  I'm almost done with panel 4 of 5.  All handsewn, whose idea WAS that?  Anyway, the sari silk is demanding to be made into that oop V8434- the pattern is several sizes too small for me, so some hamfisted grading needs to be done, plus an FBA.  Gah.  I'm too impatient for all that fiddle faddle!  And the Julian Roberts subtraction cutting is SCREAMING for me to try it...the free pattern is again too small, and I may be better off being brave and just hacking [I hate that word] it with a T&T pattern.  And then I have all those glorious silks that were gifted...too many ideas!
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

Offline embees

« Reply #232 on: February 20, 2018, 04:02:02 PM »
A belated "thank-you" for the welcomes (Morzel, Ruthie) & encouraging words about the thought process (Mlambie & stephaniecan).  I'm more "Sewing With a Purpose" than "...Plan" at the moment but the key word is SEWING! :)

Offline embees

« Reply #233 on: February 20, 2018, 04:34:01 PM »
Mary oh no, machine down! We really do bond to them; my primary is a pretty basic Kemore (approximately as old as I am) picked up for $10 at a thrift shop my senior year of college.  After my husband's grandmother passed a few years ago, I inherited her Elna (that has more stitches etc), but I could not part with the Kenmore!  Fortunately, I have a dedicated sewing room so with some shuffling around they could both stick around.

indigotiger WOW! 100 hours of hand stitching!  love the pattern match across the front - clearly some planning & forethought!
LillieT your cardigan is a tremendous example of making something truly your own, glad both Lillie & the client are happy :)
Towanda your comments about always wanting to sew new things really resonate with me; I found that indulging all my impulses results in a LOT more "hypothetical projects" (complete with fabric purchase, sigh) than I can possibly complete before the next wave kicks in, but trying to be too rigid on a plan causes my mojo to disappear.
CCL that teal sweater jacket looks like something that would get worn constantly! Hoping it works into your wardrobe, even if not quite the SWAP
dementedfairy I love the equation/geometry fabric print!

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #234 on: February 20, 2018, 05:04:13 PM »
embees How's about this take on 'forgetting about' your clothes:  When we're little kids, we whirl and twirl and stroke our clothes, because we enjoy them.  I often make things that make me pat and smooth and smile, if not twirl.  Clothes you can forget tend to be run of the mill, camouflage garments...your trousers are lovely- stick them with a solid colour slouchy top, and some fun canvas shoes, and maybe you will enjoy them more?
Definitely try them with different tops and shoes, and take pictures - even mirror selfies are better than pointing the camera down lol
Perspective is everything! [Don't forget to smile in your pics, that has an effect too]

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #235 on: February 21, 2018, 04:43:34 AM »
Mary, Demented Fairy: What I would give for lovely buttonholes! That said, I shouldn't be so unkind to my machine. It has made many a pleasing thing alongside me. On the other hand, I wish my mother had been willing to give me her old Singer when I was young; it has disappeared and I don't know who got it!

Embees: I was thinking about your trousers issue. I love the trousers (especially love the little opening at the bottoms - very chic). The print is very pretty, but I understand what it means to feel self-conscious in your clothes. Some people are great at wearing bold, and others feel a little bit less comfortable in bold. I also have an issue with pattern. I have floral patterned trousers that I wear with a tee in summertime, but the rest of the time I would say that I feel most comfortable in subtle patterns. I wear patterns all the time, but they have to be small. Today I wore jacquard pencil trousers with an interesting pattern of small circles all over. The pattern is just enough to keep me interested, but not enough for me to feel self-conscious in my pants. In any case, I think that print would be super in shorts, if you decide to go in that direction.

I went to the symphony this evening so no sewing, but I did cut out some pants (no print but a bold colour...which I'm not even sure I can fit into my collection) last night and I call that sustained progress!

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 04:45:43 AM by stephaniecan »

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #236 on: February 21, 2018, 07:34:35 AM »
Embees, I have several pairs of patterned trousers which I wear in the summer (instead of a patterned summer skirt). I put them with a plain tee, a denim jacket and a chunky necklace and am cool without any thigh chafing. I mostly wear plain dark trousers otherwise so its nice to have the option.

I have got into tidying and then into leather dyeing for shoes and haven't been sewing. The machines are still set up in brown though so I am thinking cardigans. At the end of Feb I'll probably change colours to something else. I've got a week.
After the cardigans I do actually need to face up to trousers, maybe brown (perhaps early March) and then dark teal. Or ivory and sew some ivory based print tees.
Then mid March I want to have another proper think about colour schemes and whether I'm still trying to include burgundy or not. I'm not sure what my inner designer thinkis about that colour scheme, whether its slightly forced or refreshing.

Offline M lambie

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #237 on: February 21, 2018, 06:56:13 PM »
Embees, you have made excellent progress! I'm sorry you're not feeling the floral pants... the split hem looks very nice and the fabric is nice and spring-like. :) But I know what you mean. I have often bought floral fabrics that I *think* I want to wear but then in reality maybe they are a little too busy for my comfort zone. Hopefully they grow on you, or maybe they will make nice shorts for the summer.

Turquoise, I am looking forward to seeing your coral garments! How efficient, you've got so much cutting done. I know what you mean about the dramatic and unusual pieces. Maybe do a muslin of one of the more dramatic jacket styles and see if it feels right?

Stephanie, your plum skirt is looking gorgeous and I can't wait to see you model it. :) Also the sneak peek of the plum sweater is looking great. I wish I could knit. Your knitting is beautiful.

Ruthie, it's great that the dyeing of your shoes is going so well. I never thought of trying that. I have to admit, after watching your progress with the teal and brown pieces, I am quite curious about which accent(s) you will choose for SWAP. :) Best of luck to you getting your trousers pattern(s) adjusted to your liking.

Demented Fairy, I read your reference to the Julian Roberts subtraction cutting and was like "huh?" So I did a quick search and then lost several hours to reading about and watching videos of him actually cutting. Holy crap, this is some awesome stuff! And it would fit so perfectly into your mathematical theme. ;D Definitely I would say to just use one of your own bodice patterns and go for it! Right now I am trying to think of what fabrics I have with enough yardage that I can use to try one of these dresses. So, so cool!  8) I can see how it is screaming at you LOL, I've got an earful of it myself. ;)

So, regarding my sewing machine dilemma, I've found a slightly closer Bernina dealer (18 miles vs 19 LOL). The Bernina's been sitting around unused for several years and my sister couldn't remember if she had it serviced before she sent it to me. Unfortunately the service guy only comes twice a month. :-\ And he's there today but I can't go today. ::) But I will never ever ever go to the other dealer again (even though they have a service tech full time). I only went to that store twice and they were fairly awful. Later I found a lot of very bad reviews on Yelp. Well, at least I can check out the new place on Saturday and maybe buy the lightbulb and some new bobbins (most of mine are the wrong style). Sewing will happen sooner or later! I hope.

ETC: several typos ::) (hope I found them all, sigh)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 07:05:32 PM by M lambie »

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
« Reply #238 on: February 21, 2018, 08:11:53 PM »
After finishing my floral cardigan, I immediately cut out the brown/blue/black plaid wool pinafore, and plan on stitching that one up in the next week or so. I am feeling a bit of a disconnnect between my actual wardrobe needs, the SWAP requirements, and my desire to sew from stash. What my wardrobe is in real need of are four more popover summer dresses, 4 more pairs of cropped leggings, a few tops or blouses, a fleece jacket, a handknit cardigan, and some other random things like a new nightgown, bedroom slippers, some fingerless mitts, and a sunhat. (obvously not all of these things are SWAP suitable)

My current difficulty is that the pieces of knit fabrics I have, suitable for cropped leggings, do not coordinate with my SWAP, as I have it set up currently. The rayon fabrics I have for making popover dresses are mostly not solid colors. I am debating acquiring some indigo fabric dye and using that to solve the dilemma.

It also occurred to me this morning, on the way out through the snow to the hen yard, that I could use some of the chunk of black velour on the top shelf of the "resource center" to make a pair of black leggings, with the pile on the inside they would feel delightfully cozy. Somehow our suddenly snowy cold weather has made me realise that the loose cropped leggings I made for last years uncompleted SWAP are incredibly useful, and MORE of them would be a good idea!!
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline AnnetteB

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #239 on: February 21, 2018, 09:47:02 PM »
Ruthie

Your dyed shoes look great!!
Annette
Queensland Australia

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #240 on: February 22, 2018, 01:23:30 AM »
Ruthie: You are so productive! Great idea with the shoe dyeing!

Mary: Thanks! I am just happy to be getting something done. :) You are seriously great at commenting on what everyone is doing.

Turquoise: I'm impressed by all of the cutting out that you have done. I feel accomplished because I cut one pair of pants out the other day, even though I am thinking of making a shirt first. :) Sometimes doing something you are sure of is a good way to start.

I'm going to try to hit the machine tonight, with Ruthie's "sew little, sew often" encouraging me!

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #241 on: February 22, 2018, 02:02:42 AM »
Forgot to add...

indigotiger: I am also wanting to sew from stash and meet real wardrobe needs so I am going through similar thinking processes and wondering if I can figure out a way to make the colours work. I think that's part of the fun! The extra leggings sound like a good idea. I'm fairly obsessed with staying warm. How wonderful to have a hen yard. I'm imagining what that must be like...

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #242 on: February 22, 2018, 10:53:50 AM »
stephanie  The stash busting is what's driving me...I've only bought a couple of fabrics in recent months, both specifically to boost the red/print aspects of this SWAP, but I made them both be bargain-alicious so I don't feel guilty.  One is that fab sari of course, the other a rather wonderful length of crinkly cotton/linen blend which is perfect for summerweight clothes [if we get a summer, I am very short of casual cool wear that isn't only suitable for round the house!]  Take a look at the linen/cotton, it's quite delicious
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cotton-Linen-Fabric-DIY-Material-Craft-for-Dress-T-shirt-Curtain-Cushion-Plain/332360593883?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=541363263768&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Everything else is from deep stash, and everything [var the black silky top, because it's not warm enough] is already being worn a lot, so it's a successful SWAP even at this stage
Ruthie I last dyed shoes about 30 years ago, it's soooo messy!  My missus is way more careful and meticulous than me, and she dyed an entire set of bike leathers, with wonderful results.  I like quick fixes, new shoes are more fun lol

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #243 on: February 22, 2018, 10:43:58 PM »
Demented Fairy: Lovely!

Offline AnnetteB

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #244 on: February 23, 2018, 04:07:54 AM »
Ruthie

I just read your post showing photos of the 15 tops you made from the pattern you drafted off the RTW top.

What a fabulous effort and who would know that all these tops were made from the same pattern? This certainly illustrates to me the benefit of a TNT pattern.

I have a RTW summer top that I love so perhaps I need to draft off my pattern and start sewing.....
Annette
Queensland Australia