Author Topic: 2018 SWAP Chatter #2 (continued)  (Read 40614 times)

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
Re: 2018 SWAP Chatter #2 (continued)
« Reply #175 on: February 10, 2018, 12:55:07 AM »
CCL, your husband/partner's outfits look amazing!  Great work on the pants especially!
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Offline dagmaro

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #176 on: February 10, 2018, 04:37:53 AM »
What fabulous creations are showing up on the individual threads.  Turquoise - your lace tops are very clever and quite lovely as are the other things you also made.  IndigoTiger, your cardigan looks amazing.  The colours are lovely as are the motifs and embroidery.  I love Demented Fairy's plaid skirt and am itching to copy that idea one day myself.  I think a love of plaid lurks within us all…..  Ruthie is like a speed demon and is producing such a well coordinated collection - I am truly jealous!  And I really like Susan's cropped widely pants - they look very stylish AND comfortable.  I still have not worked my way through all of the other threads since my return but the progress being made is infectious.

Thank you to all those who reached out to cheer me up on what I am now calling My Not SWAP  ::).  As a first timer, I have another silly question:  where would be the best place to post images for anything I am able to complete keeping in mind that I know I will not be able to submit a completed SWAP?
Dagmar

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #177 on: February 10, 2018, 08:34:54 AM »
Thank you to all those who reached out to cheer me up on what I am now calling My Not SWAP  ::).  As a first timer, I have another silly question:  where would be the best place to post images for anything I am able to complete keeping in mind that I know I will not be able to submit a completed SWAP? 

If you have started an individual SWAP thread I would keep them there.  Personally, I think it is irrelevant whether you finish or not.  It's more important that you started and that you have items to wear and love.
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #178 on: February 10, 2018, 09:58:51 AM »
I agree with Melinda_B   :) - I’m sure no one really knows if they will finish the SWAP when they start.  Life often interrupts our plans. I hope you will continue to put your progress and thoughts into your individual SWAP thread when you get a chance dagmaro.

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #179 on: February 10, 2018, 03:32:55 PM »
Thanks Garden Girl, CCL, Lisanne, and all who've continued to encourage me.  I have to admit, I am a little suprised to hear that I am a fast sewer, I think of myself as very slow!  I appreciate any comparison to Ruthie, (i am blushing!)

And, I am not quitting yet! More just trying to get a realistic handle on what needs to be done, and trying to keep the fun in it. Taking some pressure off myself, if you will. Kind of a reverse-psychology: if I allow myself permission to consider not finishing, then I am more likely to finish!

DH's coat is first, but SWAP ideas and individual project prep are always in the back of my mind.
Wendy

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #180 on: February 10, 2018, 07:59:39 PM »
  As a first timer, I have another silly question:  where would be the best place to post images for anything I am able to complete keeping in mind that I know I will not be able to submit a completed SWAP?

Dagmaro - I agree with Melinda and Turquoise - just keep posting in your thread and commenting here.  Turquoise is right: no one knows if they will finish, so it makes sense to just keep on keeping on.   For those of us who don't finish in April, we can start a new 2018 Slow Sewing SWAP thread when that time comes...and carry on there.   I am sure I will be posting to it as well.   

warpjr1965 - I have always admired your attitude!  I was so entranced by your SWAP for your daughter (was it the first one you did?) - how she picked the fabrics and the patterns and how together you guys adjusted the plan.   kudos to you.

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
  • Fall down eight times. Get up nine times.
« Reply #181 on: February 10, 2018, 11:22:05 PM »
Good luck, Lynn. Looks like a great wardrobe plan.

CCL: Thank you so much for posting about the collection you made for your better half! Wow. That is amazing. Beautiful work. It also makes me feel better about my plan as I sat down and reworked my entire plan this morning and now have one that I really love and that suits my wardrobe needs, but which is likely to require an extra month or two to complete. I'm very encouraged by your post and of course you are right. Thank you.

Turquoise: Tops are looking great!

« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 11:24:04 PM by stephaniecan »

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #182 on: February 10, 2018, 11:29:09 PM »
Stephanie - I will be joining you in the longer timeframe, I am sure.  And thank you for encouraging me.  I am reworking my plan because I really want to make things that I love and that will work together - not just things in order to be finished by the deadline.  I love Mudcat's SWAP rules and I want to take full advantage of their inspiration.   So thank you again, Mudcat!

Lynne - I hope that the "life intervening" begins to settle down and you can enjoy being in your sewing room.  I am really looking forward to your posts!

Oh, and edited to add, BH was out at a important meeting today and wore those trousers.   It does make me happy.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 11:35:09 PM by CCL »

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #183 on: February 10, 2018, 11:34:44 PM »
CCL: That's exactly how I feel. I want every garment to be something that I really love, if possible. That takes me quite a bit of time. :)

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #184 on: February 10, 2018, 11:37:35 PM »
Stephanie -- if I could knit, I would love to knit as beautifully as you do.

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #185 on: February 11, 2018, 01:29:44 AM »
CCL: That's so kind, CCL. I am no expert, but I do love to knit - it relaxes me and I am always cold so I enjoy having handknits to wear. Knitting is very learnable, if you don't already know how. I encourage anyone interested to give it a try.

Isn't it nice when our better halves wear what we make? It always gives me a little thrill when mine does.

Wendy: Love the top you posted! Keep going! Bon courage! Enjoy your exchange student.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 01:32:22 AM by stephaniecan »

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #186 on: February 11, 2018, 05:32:41 PM »
Given my reputation for speedy sewing, I thought I'd write down all the things I could think of which help me sew like that in case they were helpful for anyone else. Of course as soon as I'd finished it I've thought of some more, though maybe more wardrobe sewing tips.
They are here if anyone is interested.
http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php?topic=1418
and on my blog
https://ruthieksews1.blogspot.co.uk/2018/02/one-dozen-tips-on-how-to-sew.html

Offline Joyce P

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #187 on: February 11, 2018, 06:29:32 PM »
Thanks, Ruthie!

I added one of my own to your excellent list. I'm going to share this with my ASG neighborhood group tomorrow. Our theme is "What do you LOVE about sewing" and certainly one of my loves is the sharing that happens on SG.

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #188 on: February 12, 2018, 05:55:36 AM »
Susan I love your random dot blouse, it looks great  :)

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #189 on: February 12, 2018, 01:36:09 PM »
Susan - nice blouse. What a wonderful fabric!

Wendy - have fun with your exchange student!

Stephanie -
I am not sure I can complete the entire collection during the remaining time, but in the minimum I will have a half dozen garments or so that I really love and then can continue a "slow SWAP" to complete the items afterwards.
Well worth it!

Embees - welcome to SWAP, better late then never. The boiled wool jacket really looks comfy. And I like the high/low hem on the tshirt. Regarding the lines and FBA - well, all tshirts have lines like that, as they (usually) don't have a dart. I think its an ok look as it just IS the tshirt look.

Kate - smart looking pants!! Love the sailor style, it just doesn't work with my figure. Enjoy the boat in the season to come!

Turquoise - great way to use the lace. It looks soo much better having cut it apart (and sewing it back together) than uncut. Great tops!

Indigotiger - that plaid is made for matching the cardigan. Good thing that at least your friend knows whats inside the fabric resource center...!

Ruthie - I really like the fabric of this latest cardigan. I've used a similar fabric last year in a different colourway and love wearing that shirt in summer, its such a nice vicose knit!

dementedfairy - again, a great skirt! AND fun. What more can a girl wish for?!  :)

I finally finished a box full of charity sewing to ship off. And the costume for my daughters carneval party tomorrow. So I sat down today to finally continue SWAP sewing and finished another sweater - I am in need of more, as it turned cold here last week. Very simple lines, lovely fabric, versatile sweater. Finished an hour ago, happing wearing it right now.  ;D
Eva

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #190 on: February 13, 2018, 01:25:30 PM »
Ruthie: Your tips are so clever. Thank you for sharing them. I could stand to learn from "sew little but often." I often get stuck by not starting at all. Part of the problem is that I moved in November but haven't yet been able to set up my sewing room as it is being used for storage of things my mom was going to come and get but hasn't yet. So I'm shuttling my sewing machine around. That said, that's still an excuse!

Thanks, Morzel (Eva). I think perfectionism is also my demon as I am overthinking every piece, but I will keep going. I'm learning!

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #191 on: February 13, 2018, 05:51:41 PM »
stephaniecan your shirt looks really professional - who cares if there is *some* blue in the fabric. You are actually sewing and the results look fantastic :smiles-pom2:

Regarding the FBA comments, have you ever looked at Peggy Sagers’ methods for fit.  I have got much better results,  much more quickly using her methods and a quick muslin than the FBA methods I used to employ using all the Palmer Pleitsch books and Craftsy classes I’ve taken for bust adjustments.  I think sometimes it just takes quite a few times of watching her YouTube videos to “get it” - well it did for me anyhow.

Hope you enjoy making whatever sewing plans in whatever timescale suits you and look forward to seeing more wonderful results like your shirt  :)

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #192 on: February 13, 2018, 06:11:42 PM »
I am still sewing chocolate brown. Apparently I have sewn 14 items using 26.5 metres of various brown based fabrics (according to my stash spreadsheet) and I have another 6 garments planned. Then I shall change the thread colour, probably to cream to sew some cream and brown print tees.

As you know I do like to sew several things with the same thread colour but that is even more extreme than normal for me (the most I could find before was 9 different tees all sewn with white thread, not counting bulk projects like cot sheets when my twin nieces were born, table cloths for an entire community centre and anything involving curtains).

I should have that colourway out of my system in a few weeks (I hope). After which I probably won't want to sew anything brown for a long long time. It is a bizarre obsession right now but I'm sure it will pass.

So dark brown is definitely one of my SWAP neutrals (as well as one of my key wardrobe neutrals generally as its way better than black for me), and I will have plenty to pick from both for that bit of SWAP and also just for getting dressed!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 06:17:44 PM by Sew Ruthie Sews »

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #193 on: February 13, 2018, 08:17:30 PM »
Thank you so much, Turquoise. I need to improve my FBAs so I am eager to try new methods. I will search out Peggy Sagers for sure! Thanks! I find I do better on certain types of garments than others but I am still uncomfortable with the fit of my more fitted shirts. And thanks for the encouragement. Maybe a little bit of blue is permitted. ;)

Ruthie: You are amazing! 14 brown garments! My stash would be so happy.

Offline M lambie

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #194 on: February 13, 2018, 10:50:40 PM »
Hello, SWAPers!  :wave3:

I had written a nice long post here last night but couldn't post it (I think DL was updating the emoticons at the time & I kept getting errors) and for once I had not copied/saved the text. Sigh.

So I guess I'll try to remember most of it... I've read all the threads and am enjoying everyone's planning and sewing! I hope I will have a garment or two to show you all by early next week. :)

Ruthie, I am truly amazed at how many metres of brown/brown-based fabrics you have managed to sew! You will not be lacking things to wear when you are done, and you will have plenty of great options for your final SWAP selection.

embees, welcome to SWAP! You have already made such good progress. :) I really like the ivory jacket you showed. However, in your navel-gazing ;D section, I felt like I was reading my own thoughts! I can relate to how you feel about your collection. Your new possible options both sound good! Looking forward to seeing which way you go.

Eva
, that is a great basic navy sweater! Simple and basic is good (and wearable). :)

Susan, your dotted blouse re-do turned out wonderfully, definitely worth the extra time. It looks quite elegant with those gorgeous trousers.

Turquoise, I really, really like what you did with your lace fabrics! I especially love the coral version but both tops are great. Your polka dot top looks very nice as well. I bet it feels great to be "unstuck"! 

Indigotiger, I like the new plan and I love the check/plaid fabric that goes so perfectly with your AC cardi! I am really looking forward to seeing that plaid pinnie. ;D

Demented Fairy, oh wow, the new red tartan skirt is awesome!! 8) I want to fly across the pond and steal it right out of your wardrobe (but that wouldn't be nice and I really can't afford an overseas trip right now anyway, ahem).

Which reminds me, I really like the piecing going on in DF's, LillieT's and Turquoise's SWAPs. I think it looks great and helps tie the collections together. And you all have totally inspired me to copy! I am now inspired to make a pieced dress which will hopefully use all the colors of my plan plus incorporate an old favorite skirt. It has ripped at the seams & waistband but the fabric itself is quite sturdy and is in good shape.

Lillie, I guess I am one of the few who thought that the rust DID work as an accent with the brown LOL. But the turquoise (or is it teal, oops) that you describe should look very nice too. ;D I very much enjoyed seeing all your pieced garments and I hope you will post larger photos of the ones in your collage. ;)

Stephanie, I like the relaxed vibe of your new shirt. It looks very good on you. I've enjoyed reading about the evolution of your plan and I'm curious to see how it shapes up. :)

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #195 on: February 13, 2018, 11:26:30 PM »
Mary, you are the best commenter!

I have just realised I am not really doing SWAP properly, just sewing stuff from the fabric pile that speaks to me and relying on the likelihood that I sew fast enough to have enough pioeces to fit into the rules at the end.
I'm also posting on the 6PAC thread but not following the guidelines there porperly either.

I seem to have taken
#3 Sew multiple garments in the same colour thread
to the extreme.

Anyone want to talk me back onto plan or shall I just carry on?

Seriously though once I've got the tees and cardigans out of my system I am going to make some proper trousers (darts, pockets, waistband, zip etc) and I don't have a TNT for that at the moment so it'll need a bit more brain power. I might well morph a couple of recent patterns to create something wearable.

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #196 on: February 14, 2018, 01:32:27 AM »
Carry on Ruthie.  Embrace your joy of brown.  When you move on to your next color you can think about SWAP.

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #197 on: February 14, 2018, 01:35:37 AM »
I agree with Mudcat, Ruthie. Keep on with your brown sewing until it is out of your system. You'll have a ton of new garments to consider when you get back to "official" SWAP sewing.
Wendy

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #198 on: February 14, 2018, 02:32:09 AM »
I love that as a mantra: embrace your joy of brown!

Mary: You really are the best at commenting. I am glad that you are back into a bit of a routine. Your eyelet is gorgeous and it is great to hear that you are inspired by the idea of a pieced dress. As the say, follow your bliss!

Embees: I love your thinking process. I also have a voice telling me not to buy more fabric yet! :) I think your colours are lovely and classic and will really come together with some kind of a spring punch/accent.

Eva: Love the sweater. I often want to wear just that: a classic, well-fitting dark blue sweater.

Susan: The top looks great with the Burda culottes. I also made those culottes last year, but mine were in linen and somehow I did something completely incompetent as I was putting the front zip in and so I'm annoyed with them (the zip flaps don't stay closed, as I think I tried to centre the zip for some reason. In any case, usually the ties cover up that boo boo. :)

Back to look at more boards tomorrow!

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #199 on: February 14, 2018, 06:13:56 PM »
I haven't had a chance to catch up... and I am envious of all the SWAP sewing going on.  I am in the middle of making a cheesemaker shirt for a friend and have to finish that before I can get back to me sewing.

However, I think the new checked shirt, Stephanie, is grey.  It looks grey to me on my monitor and therefore, should you want to include it in your SWAP, it is my humble opinion that it can count as grey. ;)  (Hope you don't mind, I posted it over on the Shirtmaking thread, as it is quite the lovely sew).

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
« Reply #200 on: February 14, 2018, 06:48:55 PM »
I also am considering trying out a new to me pattern, the Sewing Workshop "Haiku Two" jacket. After reading Martha's blog post about the one she just completed, it occurred to me that it might be a good option for a loose fitting overlayer. I tried searching the site here to find out if anyone had used this pattern; the reviews on Patternreview all make note of how oversized it is. It will likely fit without my needing to do serious pattern alterations, and the half raglan sleeves mean that my eternal bugaboo, my ridiculously narrow shoulders, shouldn't be an issue. Plus, gigantic pockets!! I have some textured indigo linen, which will hopefully have enough drape to work with the pattern.

Hi Alison (IndigoTiger)!

Thought you might like to see some more Haiku Twos, as well as a few comments about them.  "Here's" a link to some blogposts of my sister that discuss her Haiku Two jackets.  She did one in fleece and one in a boucle.  If you want to see something larger, try clicking on the photos--at least some of them will show you a larger version. ;) ;D

HTH,

Lisa

eta: missing url (sorry!)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 09:14:05 PM by Lisa »

Offline marciae

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #201 on: February 14, 2018, 07:49:15 PM »
Lisa - I couldn't get the link to Liana to work??

Offline treefrog

• SWAP Addict :-)
    • sew Treefrog
« Reply #202 on: February 14, 2018, 09:38:47 PM »
You all seem to be making so much progress.  I'm lagging behind.  Still procrastinating on threading up the loom.  But I've just cut out the fabric for the dusty pink jeans, so hopefully I'll have something to show by the end of the week

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #203 on: February 14, 2018, 10:33:37 PM »
I've sewn some more brown.... I keep having to change the thread as the spools run out. Happily my 10,000m overlocker cones are still going strong.

I'm trying to decide what hem finish to use on the latest cardigan which is from a cotton lace fabric. I've used the nice selvedge as the neckband, and coverhemmed the sleeves. But if I coverhem the main hem, you'll see the back of it where the collar folds back and shows the back of the fabric.
On the previous version, which I just posted on my thread, I've used a throw which already had finished edges, that is folded over twice and sewn down so I suppose I could copy that finish, though the lace is more holes than fabric. Perhaps I'll experiment a bit on some scraps. I could always just leave it raw as this one doesn't seem to fray or ravel at all.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 10:43:20 PM by Sew Ruthie Sews »

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #204 on: February 15, 2018, 01:36:22 AM »
Ahh...CCL I am so flattered! Thank you. I have been making shirts for a while and my technique was improving gradually, but I took a class over the last few weeks to learn a few more tricks. I like making shirts for my partner and have been trying to make them look as pro as possible. If only I could get my fitting to the same level. :)  Excited to know there is a shirtmaking thread on this board!!
In person, I'll confess that it does look like sky blue to me, but maybe I will squint a little bit and call it grey! (I admit I had not thought of that. I am, I am afraid, scrupulously honest as a rule.)

Now I really need to sew something so as to not lose momentum. I need some of Ruthie's pixie dust/sew-jo. I'm starting to look at some of the brown fabrics in my stash... :)

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #205 on: February 15, 2018, 07:16:23 AM »
Now I really need to sew something so as to not lose momentum. I need some of Ruthie's pixie dust/sew-jo. I'm starting to look at some of the brown fabrics in my stash... :)
It works for any colour :-) but works best with knits and TNT patterns ....

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #206 on: February 15, 2018, 01:51:02 PM »
Ruthie: I don't think I have enough of any colour other than blue to do it. :) I did use your tip about sewing little and often and it was exactly what I needed last evening. Thanks!

Offline Towanda

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #207 on: February 15, 2018, 05:00:26 PM »
Ruthie: I don't think I have enough of any colour other than blue to do it. :) I did use your tip about sewing little and often and it was exactly what I needed last evening. Thanks!

I use to fight my tendency to sew a lot of black. Then I realized that it was a color that I was comfortable wearing so I gave myself permission to use it.  I've been sewing but all of the garments were made to coordinate with the black swap garments. I haven't cut out or sewn any swap garments yet. I'm hoping to get started before Monday rolls around again. Up first is a black ponte RAL skirt and then a top from a Lekala pattern.

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #208 on: February 15, 2018, 09:03:14 PM »
Mary your “moment of clarity” sounds great  :). To me this is what the SWAP process has been all about.  I had got bogged down into a mixture of procrastination, overthinking and indecision.  Now I am sewing up the stash, trying new patterns/ideas and seeing what works and doesn’t work for me.  It sounds like you have some pretty strong ideas of what you want and a better understanding of how you will more successfully get there.  I don’t think the timeframe matters, it’s a frame of mind and a process rather than a race.  I hope we will all continue to get closer to what we want to achieve regardless of the SWAP official timeframe -  it’s just a great impetus to push us in a more constructive direction. Whether I finish or not I have already “won” to my mind in that I am getting on with trying things, sewing up stuff in my stash and understanding what I like and what suits my lifestyle/shape more.

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
« Reply #209 on: February 15, 2018, 09:17:15 PM »
Lisa - I couldn't get the link to Liana to work??

That would be because I managed not to add the url for the link to my post. :o ::) :-[  So sorry. 

I've added it to my earlier message, "here."

Lisa