Author Topic: 2018 SWAP Chatter #2 (continued)  (Read 40624 times)

Offline dementedfairy

• The Demented Fairy blog
Re: 2018 SWAP Chatter #2 (continued)
« Reply #140 on: February 04, 2018, 09:05:32 PM »
I don't do accessories
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #141 on: February 05, 2018, 10:45:01 AM »
Neither do I DementedFairy!  At the moment I'm not even wearing my wedding rings, let alone an intended accessory!
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #142 on: February 05, 2018, 11:22:58 AM »
I have to wear my ring on a chain as my gnarly arthritic knuckles got too uncomfortable :'(
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #143 on: February 05, 2018, 04:05:21 PM »
I do accessories, but some more than others.
The most practical to sew would probably be an infinity scarf. I've made a few in the past and I do wear them.
I also make necklaces and earrings and wear those but I can't quite see how that relates to sewing.

I have also made bags, though just soft tote bags (and I have plenty of proper bags). I wouldn't make shoes (though I altered some boots). And I have made hats, though of the practical winter fleece variety, and anyway I only wear them in cold weather.

There are a couple of fabrics which might want to be scarves, we'll see what happens once I've got the current chocolate obsession out of my system.

I wear earrings every day, and usually a scarf or a necklace. I don't wear rings hardly at all, and bracelets/bangles occasionally.

Another scarf it is then!

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #144 on: February 05, 2018, 04:10:33 PM »
I did like that cape/poncho with the zip that was posted recently, and I have a random piece of lacy knit which would be perfect for it...but I'm not sure if I would actually wear it.  I rarely even keep a cardigan on for long.  I consider scarves to be a winter outdoor garment, used to wear ear rings, but no longer bother, and have a few pendants that I wear in rotation.  I had a lot of costume jewellery that I wore a lot, but my taste has changed.
I don't even wear a lot of my shoes any more because I can't cope with the heels for as long [well, I can, but my arthritis doesn't agree!]
Maybe this is why I wear so many more prints and bright colours these days, to make up for it!

Offline LillieT

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #145 on: February 05, 2018, 06:48:15 PM »
Most of Lillie's client's accessories are scarves.  Shawls tend to make her look like a little old lady and she just doesn't buy metal jewelry. As she was dressing for church yesterday she noticed that all of her clothes are either brown or grey. A few royal blue layers, but basically boring!  She has more bright colors in her summer clothes, but doesn't have much for winter. She and Lillie have been studying her options to add some va-voom (as Demented fairy suggested).

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #146 on: February 05, 2018, 09:12:38 PM »
I've made some trousers (over on my thread) they may or may not be in SWAP. They are less bonkers than the last pair (a bit).

Just wanted to pop in and share this Peggy Sagers video.

part way through she turns round and you see that the back of her top is a knit, but the front a sheer woven, and yet it works.
(I'm ignoring the really strange way of saying embroidery!)

I'm thinking of making a top with a woven front and knit back, that way I can have the comfort of a knit, but still get to use some of those pretty woven fabrics I've bought over the years. If it comes off and I actually do it I will of course share :-)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 09:38:01 PM by Sew Ruthie Sews »

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #147 on: February 05, 2018, 09:22:57 PM »
Ruthie go for it - I have several RTW tops with a woven front and knit back, they are really comfy to wear.  I am going to make some too, much cheaper than buying them from White Stuff or Mint Velvet and a great way of using up odd bits of nice woven fabrics.  I have a couple of really nice viscose prints that I’m thinking of making up with a knit back.

Peggy has loads of good ideas on her videos  :)

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
« Reply #148 on: February 06, 2018, 01:17:06 AM »
I have been sicker than a dog since the middle of last week, (and still sick though gradually recovering).  The only upside has been that in the time I have been not asleep, doing running stitch around the sleeve motifs on the Alabama Chanin cardigan was about as much coherence as I could manage... wouldn't dare to try cutting out fabric, or running the sewing machines. Hence the other sleeve is close to being ready. I couldn't resist also trying to baste together the body and the one sleeve into a partial cardi, and when trying it on (over my nightgown) it looked very much like an actual layering garment! I will admit I am relieved. (It is rather on the loose side, even for me, but intended to be so)
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline AnnetteB

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #149 on: February 06, 2018, 01:33:49 AM »
Indigotiger
Sorry to hear you have been unwell and best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Annette
Queensland Australia

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #150 on: February 06, 2018, 03:15:42 AM »
thanks AnnetteB...

I've been thinking about the Optional Accessory concept that seems to be coming up in conversation here. As a professional metalsmith/enamelist, it feels still somehow incorrect for me to decide to make something of such different material than my planned SWAP. I have been considering instead making a necklace of large fabric beads. A few years ago I made these for a friend, from some vintage Guatemalan ikat:
The technique used to make medieval spherical cloth buttons also lends itself (in a somewhat larger scale) to making cloth spheres that can be then pierced and strung as beads, and I am feeling like this might be an additional way to create a textile accessory that I would actually wear, and maybe use some of the smaller more precious pieces in my Fabric Resource Center

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #151 on: February 06, 2018, 03:24:02 AM »
I know many of you are multi-talented and the idea of the accessory was to add something extra to your collection. But it's optional of course.  I don't do much in the way of accessories myself outside of shoes and earrings.  Sometimes I add a bracelet or necklace.  I have about 3 dozen silk scarves mostly hand dyed by me.  They are all so pretty but I can't seem to wear them in a way that is pleasing to me.

accessory: an object that is not essential in itself but adds to the beauty, convenience or effectiveness of something else: scarf, jewelry, footwear, wrap, bag, belt, etc

My point is that we allow knitted and woven items so there is no reason your accessory needs to be from fiber.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #152 on: February 06, 2018, 07:59:11 AM »
My point is that we allow knitted and woven items so there is no reason your accessory needs to be from fiber.

OK I might string some beads in my SWAP colours then (especially when I have decided what they are since I am havering between

brown, teal, burgundy (which feels slightly forced but does use that lovely tweed)
brown, teal, tuquoise, ivory (which is much more harmonious and easy to do, but doesn't use the tweed).

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
  • Winner's Points: 1
« Reply #153 on: February 06, 2018, 09:35:33 AM »
I must be the exception here. I am the queen of scarves. I could wear a grey tee shirt and the same grey pants everyday of the year, and just switch out the scarf...and feel pretty well dressed. Add earrings and lipstick, and I'd be ready for a gala!

I started my swap accessory even before I had planned out the swap. Just to get me moving. Maybe the wrong way to go about this, but it was a good motivator. Now I need actual clothing to go with the accessory.   :)

Really interesting to see how differently sewers go about this.

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #154 on: February 06, 2018, 09:45:16 AM »
bessiecrocker I love accessories too  :)

The first thing I made for this SWAP and my Spring 6-PAC were capes/scarves  :)

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
« Reply #155 on: February 06, 2018, 02:20:36 PM »
I must be the exception here. I am the queen of scarves. I could wear a grey tee shirt and the same grey pants everyday of the year, and just switch out the scarf...and feel pretty well dressed. Add earrings and lipstick, and I'd be ready for a gala!

Well, if you're the Queen of Scarves, bessiecrocker,  can I be the Princess? ;D

I've always liked the funny saying that "what separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize". ;D ;D ;D

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #156 on: February 06, 2018, 03:43:41 PM »
So, I have been away on work and before, inbetween and after I am finishing some charity sewing work to get it off the table to sew. Also, I made a costume for my daughter (its carneval here next week) and she wants to go as an indian girl. So I sewed a skirt that mimics a sari. So - no more SWAP sewing done, but will continue in the near future.

Indigotiger, I wish you speedy recovery.

Ruthie, that tshirt (combo of woven and stretch) sounds intriguing. Thanks for the link. Clever cutting of that trousers!

Turquoise, I really like those combination photos.

bessiecrocker, glad to hear everything went well and you are recovering well. Carry on!

Susan, wonderful shawl! Great colour matching to your SWAP.

Kate, beautiful sweater! Such a quick knitter. Envious.  ;)

Melinda, thick linen sounds good.

Eva

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #157 on: February 06, 2018, 05:26:08 PM »
Ruthie- lots of StyleArc patterns mix knit and woven, and I used the same idea to dodge the FBA for the Lani top, by using the knit for the front and sleeves.  Very comfy, very wearable.

Offline Diane in WV

« Reply #158 on: February 08, 2018, 03:33:35 AM »
Melinda, you said, "Also bought an airbrush today, to help with my AC jacket for the SWAP, and also because the idea of painting on fabric is fun!  "
Question, how will that work in the wash,as in not washing out?
Let's talk about math

Offline Diane in WV

« Reply #159 on: February 08, 2018, 03:37:08 AM »

Indigotiger said, "finally got back to my SWAP sewing, and patterned, cut out, and stenciled the sleeves for my Alabama Chanin cardigan. It will probably take me at least few weeks to do all the stitching for the reverse applique... I am trying out both a new type of fabric paint, Jacquard Textile Color, instead of Jacquard Neopaque. The texture of the paint is much thinner, and that, combined with my finding my long lost stencil brush, meant that applying the paint went a LOT faster this time. Truly, an actual stencil brush is eversomuch nicer than using a piece of sponge, I didn't get paint all over my fingertips and have to keep stopping to wash them, and it was a LOT easier to get an even application of paint" Same question, paint, washing, how to keep it from washing out?
Let's talk about math

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
  • Fall down eight times. Get up nine times.
« Reply #160 on: February 08, 2018, 03:54:11 AM »
Indigotiger: I love that necklace sample. Very cool

Dagmaro: I completely understand. Travel and other commitments and realizing I need to rest, too, has somewhat taken the wind out of my sails. That said, I don't have as full a plate as you do. Take care and enjoy what you do get to sew, on your own terms.

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #161 on: February 08, 2018, 04:40:04 AM »
paint, washing, how to keep it from washing out?
I cannot speak to how to deal with airbrushed paint, since I have never used an airbrush, but I can share my successful experience with applying paint to fabric with stamps and stencils. I have only used textile paint specifically made for use on wearable fabrics (I have no experience with using craft store acrylic, or even house paint, as some on the Facebook group I am in swear by) I have used Jacquard Neopaque, Jacquard Textile Colors, and Jacquard Lumiere. There are many other paints available, but those are what I have been able to easily access.

The basic way that I treat the fabric I am decorating so that it will retain the painted decoration involves several steps. First, I make sure that whatever fabric I am using is well pre-washed, so that there are no sizings or other treatments on the surface already. I do not use any fabric softeners when washing and drying fabric.

I apply the paint. This can be via stencil patterns, or by using various sorts of carved block printing, or freehand with a brush. Then...I let the painted surface dry for at least 24 hours.

I next "heat treat" the decorated fabric. This usually involves pressing the surface either directly or from the back, for whatever length of time is specified on the jar of paint, often 30 seconds or one minute. Because I use non petroleum fibers, usually cotton, linen, or rayon, I set the iron at a very high temperature. The instructions usually say to use the highest temperature that the fabric will tolerate. This pressing is basically my setting the iron down in a spot for that amount of time, then when the time is up, moving  it over to the next unpressed spot and resetting the timer, over and over again, to make sure that all the painted areas are heat treated. Heat-treatment is a boring and time consuming process, but I suspect it is vital in getting good results. By doing this process, I have had great success in having my painted decorations last through everyday washing. I do wash all my laundry in cold water, and often hang to dry, but the painted parts stay bright and clearly delineated.

If I needed to dilute the color or make the paint thinner, it would be important to thin with whatever specific textile medium is used for that paint, rather than with just plain water, since it is the textile medium base that allows the paint to adhere to the fabric, and diluting that with water would not allow the paint to "stick" as well or as long.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 04:42:35 AM by indigotiger »

Offline LynnH

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #162 on: February 08, 2018, 04:45:35 AM »
I made a shirt with the fabric paint airbrushed on. Like indigotiger, I let it dry for 24 hours before I started stitching.  Since it took several months to finish the top, it had plenty of time to completely dry before it got near a washing machine.

I use the gentle cycle in the washing machine - mostly because it is hand sewn and I don't want it to be agitated apart.

It has survived about 4 rounds thru the washer.
Lynn

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #163 on: February 08, 2018, 01:22:57 PM »
Melinda, you said, "Also bought an airbrush today, to help with my AC jacket for the SWAP, and also because the idea of painting on fabric is fun!  "
Question, how will that work in the wash,as in not washing out? 

I'm using fabric paint, the Createx airbrush brand, which is the same as AC uses.  Here's a link, if you want to see and read up on them - this is an Australian site, but I'm sure they're sold in the US and other countries.   http://www.airbrushmegastore.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=1641&Itemid=88

Once the paint has dried you iron, or use a heat press if you have one, over the paint.  It is then permanent and washable.  My brown tshirt that I stenciled a rose onto has gone through the wash at least once a week since Christmas, and even the drier a couple of times if I forgot to take it out, and the paint is still perfect.  The createx has a soft hand and doesn't have that stiff paint feel that most fabric paints do.

Createx is specifically designed for airbrushes.
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #164 on: February 08, 2018, 10:49:54 PM »
I'm a bit behind on commenting, so just want to say, please keep sewing those who can, and we understand those who can't for whatever reason.

I guess I will need to pick a colourway pretty soon but I have a bunch more brown things planned still.
The 10,000 metre cones on the overlocker seem to last forever but the looper spool ran out on the coverhem, and the bobbin on the sewing machine runs out repeatedly but the pile of brown fabric possibilities is still large!

Offline Garden Girl

• Subscribed Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #165 on: February 09, 2018, 05:19:14 AM »
Dagmar, I think it was wise in your case to realize that time is simply not on your side to do your fabrics or your love of sewing justice. You have a great plan and skills to match, better to take your time, enjoy the process and be happy with the results.

Wendy
, too soon to quit Sweetie! I've seen you do some pretty amazing rapid sewing in the past. Maybe just put it all in time out for a week or so? Do other fun things? Granted, you've got the exchange student coming. How long will they be with you? If you don't finish, remember, we can "blame" it on that fleece jacket for your Hubby.  ;D

Although this is a fun challenge, remember everybody that it should be fun. Not torture, not an ordeal, not something that ruins your health or makes you grumpy. And it isn't right for everybody in any given year. Remember, life has a way of happening when we least expect it.

My SWAP? Hilarious laughter- do you hear it? I still expect to do it and finish it, as near as I can tell. At this point I haven't even printed off the 2 PDF patterns needed for the collection. Worried? Not at all. Delusional about getting done? No more than any other year.

If I, or any of you, start next Monday and do one item per week it's all done, easy peasy. So we still have lots of time, if we are choosing patterns we already know or aren't terribly complicated. If we sew multiples of some of our patterns, especially the TNT ones. It is still doable. But you need to take an honest look at your calendar too. If it looks like Dagmar's, well, maybe a completed SWAP isn't in the cards for you this year.

Rene

Offline Lisanne

• Subscribed Member
  • southern England
« Reply #166 on: February 09, 2018, 09:57:01 AM »
Although this is a fun challenge, remember everybody that it should be fun. Not torture, not an ordeal, not something that ruins your health or makes you grumpy. And it isn't right for everybody in any given year. Remember, life has a way of happening when we least expect it.

Yes, it is supposed to be source of joy, both the sewing and the clothes made.
How many people finish after getting as far as posting a plan ? perhaps 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 of us.
The rest of us have fun thinking about it all, and learning a great deal about our sewing and clothing and wardrobing preferences.
And with luck making a few lovable and wearable garments.

And enjoying reading about what everyone else is doing  ;D
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #167 on: February 09, 2018, 11:53:25 AM »
This SWAP is really helping me get some concentrated sewing done.  I'm not sure how close I'm going to get to fulfilling the "rules" but I'm doing well at tackling the stash and filling some holes in my wardrobe.  I've made a lace top that is a copy of a RTW top I like.  I cut the lace fabric apart and sewed the parts back together into bands of colour to create the fabric.  I really like it and will make one from a coral version of the same lace fabric.  The colours fit with my SWAP plan but obviously these seem more like a print.  I will wear it a lot though, regardless of SWAP rules.

Offline Pina

« Reply #168 on: February 09, 2018, 12:39:33 PM »
Sewing information.   ;)  A free "Sewing Life Magazine" can ge found on SG here Child Boards: Magazines.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
« Reply #169 on: February 09, 2018, 01:30:25 PM »
Turquoise, your lace top is wonderful! It's a great way to pull in some of the colors of your SWAP. Nice job.

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #170 on: February 09, 2018, 03:18:14 PM »
Just an idle thought for those who feel pressured by the deadline - if you really like your plan, you can keep going even if you don't think you will finish by the deadline.  One of my accomplishments sewing wise of which I am most proud is my Slow Sewing SWAP for Better Half.  I worked on it when I felt like it and sewed other (many other) things in between.  But I liked the plan.  It took me two years to complete, but I am still pretty proud of the work and I enjoyed making all the items.   I am reposting a photo of a few of the pieces just because it makes me happy to remember that I was able to accomplish this. (and hopefully, it will encourage those of you who like your plan, but are dispirited by the fleeting of time, to take heart).

SWAP for Better Half -4 by CCL photos, on Flickr

Dagmar, it sounds as if, with all your muslins completed, your plan is pretty solid.  I'd love to see you continue to post your progress.  Stephanie, the same for you.  I love seeing everyone's work, even if they don't think they will be done in April.  Turquoise, what a gorgeous top!   You are definitely the designer here.  And WarpJr1965, I totally agree with GG, you do some amazing fast sewing - almost as fast as Ruthie, and if you enjoy doing it, why not?   I find deadlines only help me stay on track with work stuff, for my hobby, I like to sew when I enjoy it, not when pressured.

HTH

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #171 on: February 09, 2018, 03:32:33 PM »
CCL I really like your points about the SWAP.  I think that's what's inspiring about the SWAP - it has got me really thinking about what I want and trying to find ways of fitting more sewing time in and to keep exploring what I want and what works for me.  It doesn't really matter if I finish in the timeframe or not because the greater goal is to achieve sewing that I like and works for me and to enjoy the process.  I hope everyone will keep on posting their progress and thought processes  :)

Thank you CCL and Kathryn for your lovely comments about the lace top.

Offline LynnH

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #172 on: February 09, 2018, 07:11:22 PM »
Then you get me - when I actually commit to doing the SWAP life intervenes!! I did plan out my SWAP using Vivienne's 4x4 grid.  So I know that I'm over achieving, but I did prioritize the sequence and I'm already two weeks behind.  Remember my comment about life intervening?  Two weeks at DMs helping with chores and problems and no access to my sewing room.

Here is my plan (which could well take longer to complete, but I still win because I get usable clothes out of it!)
Neutral 1 - denim
- denim jean jacket - my prior make
- denim knit t-shirt
- blue jeans
Neutral 2 - still sitting on the fence between Navy & Gray
- navy/gray duster vest (it is two sided fabric - once I decide which is the outer color will drive my second neutral)
- navy/gray t-shirt
- navy/gray pants
Accent
- green t-shirt
- raspberry tank
- brown leather jean jacket
Print
- gray/white abstract cowl
Not sure where to put this - could be an accent or it could be part of the Navy/Gray neutral if I declare Navy as the color
- navy tank sheath dress

And the rest of the 4x4 to be completed as I can
- second pair of denim jeans
- second pair of navy/gray pants
- blue sweater knit vest
- green jeans
- pink plaid blouse

Did I mention - I'm now a full time telecommuter and no longer need dress up clothes for the office?  Now watch - I'll get summoned to show at headquarters for making that remark!

Hoping to get into the sewing room this weekend since I'm back at my house.
Lynn

Offline Lisanne

• Subscribed Member
  • southern England
« Reply #173 on: February 09, 2018, 07:47:38 PM »
Turquoise - your lace tops are stunning  ;D
And I love your inspiration board !
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #174 on: February 09, 2018, 10:03:14 PM »
Embees, welcome, lovely to have you with us!

Turquoise, your two lace tops are lovely. The graduated coolourways are very beautiful and flattering and the clever cutting of the fabric inspired.

IndigoTiger the Cardigan is looking fan and that check fabric works so well with it.

I have nothing new to report but will make another tee or start on cardigans next week hopefully.