Author Topic: 2018 SWAP Chatter #2 (continued)  (Read 40627 times)

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
Re: 2018 SWAP Chatter #2 (continued)
« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2018, 01:46:50 PM »
Mary - how awful for your husband, and you.   Thinking healing thoughts for both of you.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2018, 02:02:27 PM »
What a frightening experience, Mary (mlambie). I hope your husband does well, recovers quickly, and that his doctors have found a way to prevent this from happening again.

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2018, 10:45:55 PM »
For those that still need inspiration. The latest collections from ...

Eileen Fischer (black, black/white stripes, white/screams, grays and a splash of yellow gold)
https://www.eileenfisher.com/shop/new-arrivals/lookbook/?lookbook_month=3867

Bryn Walker (more black, gray, white/cream, stripes, navy, floral, lemony yellow, pinks/lavenders, etc)
http://www.brynwalker.com/ss-18-2

Offline andib

• O/T Politics
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2018, 01:24:28 AM »
Turquoise, I think your first draft is pretty good!  To me it looks like you could slash from the neck to the hem and spread it open so you can make the folds deeper at the neck.  Also, it's hard to see if the original has horizontal pleats/tucks under the large vertical dart.  I look forward to seeing your progress.

Thanks for the inspiration links! I'm trying to find my mo-jo!

Offline Ohsewsimple

Turquoise I think it,s a variation on a theme that was popular a while ago.  At work at the moment but quick thought is that the right hand side (facing you) is extended up and then folded over the neckline and stitched down somehow.  The pattern would need to be slashed and spread at the top to get the extra width. 

Offline fourkid

« Reply #110 on: January 30, 2018, 10:16:41 AM »
BEST weekend in a long, long time - other than bringing home a bit of a cold (now recovered, hence my delay in reporting in.) Hot Patterns Sewing in the Sun retreat (week 1) was very fun and inspiring. Alas I did not get 2 tops completed - but I got the one T top fitted really well - and learned a lot in dealing with stripes and necklines. Also the perfect solution in fixing my sloping shoulder issue after all these years. The fix was easy, but I would never have found it on my own. I now add in about 3/4" to the inside of the neckline. I was always trying to fix it from the outside edge. While I do need to do a little finagling at the outside - it is the inside that is the key for me.  I also learned how to add width to the bicep region of my sleeves and an easy FBA that works really well for me.

With the loss of Photobucket due to their new pricing rules I am not sure where to put pictures now to upload - but I might work on that in a week or two since I should have a few pieces completed soon. I have a black and cream-ish long sleeve top. I plan to make up the other print top soon from the same pattern. ( the Plain and Simple T Redux from HP) And then a skirt.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: January 30, 2018, 02:25:13 PM »
LillieT, your SWAP commentary cracks me up. So clever!

Kathryn

Offline dementedfairy

• The Demented Fairy blog
« Reply #112 on: January 30, 2018, 06:09:35 PM »
Fourkid
Try IMGUR.  I find it very straightforward
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

Offline marciae

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #113 on: January 30, 2018, 08:11:16 PM »
For those that still need inspiration. The latest collections from ...

Eileen Fischer (black, black/white stripes, white/screams, grays and a splash of yellow gold)
https://www.eileenfisher.com/shop/new-arrivals/lookbook/?lookbook_month=3867

Bryn Walker (more black, gray, white/cream, stripes, navy, floral, lemony yellow, pinks/lavenders, etc)
http://www.brynwalker.com/ss-18-2
Thanks for the links.  While I'm not doing the SWAP I found an inspiration pant on the Walker site.  Looks like my Tessuti's but the bottom piece is a coordinated fabric!  Great idea!!

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #114 on: January 30, 2018, 08:19:41 PM »
I'm still ploughing on sewing things, but I have to say I'm finding the two neutrals, accents, prints etc components of the SWAP quite challenging, though I'm quite good at puzzles so hope I can make it work.

Maybe I need to go back and have a little re-read of rules and just get my head straight about what is required.

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2018, 08:22:01 PM »
Ruthie I hear you!  I can't decide which of my fabrics to call my print/s and I'm already bored with grey [one of my neutrals]  Things may beed to flex a bit, so in the meantime I'm having fun making a ridiculously frilly flamenco style skirt
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2018, 09:01:29 PM »
I'm already bored with grey [one of my neutrals]  Things may beed to flex a bit, so in the meantime I'm having fun making a ridiculously frilly flamenco style skirt

I love your panache, dementedfairy.

Kathryn

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2018, 09:34:18 PM »
I don't know about panache, I just give myself permission to be crazy these days.  Having steampunk events to go to works as a good excuse!

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
  • Fall down eight times. Get up nine times.
« Reply #118 on: January 31, 2018, 01:48:53 AM »
Mary: So sorry to hear about your husband, but I am glad to hear that he is OK. Definitely treat yourself to a fabric or two that you love! My boss is currently in hospital having had a couple of heart attacks - also a fit, healthy guy, but with a family history. All the best.

I have been sewing a little bit but not for SWAP, exactly. :) Can't wait to be back at it in a week and to catch up... Happy sewing everyone!

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #119 on: January 31, 2018, 08:47:38 AM »
several things have come together in my brain recently, and in case they help others I am sharing here:-

- ooh Alison's alabama chanin is pretty
- SWAP needs prints which have multiple colours (must read rules again to see what exactly)
- heck I have a LOT of fabric I really must sew from existing resources and not keep buying more
- hmm somewhere in the craft supplies I have fabric paint, stamps, foam, stencils etc
- I also have lots of those tiny Gutermann beads in the bead supplies

And I'm thinking about having a piece which brings all the colours together but is done by adding fabric paint to a plain fabric, maybe only on the front of a tee and that way if I do want burgundy and teal and brown on a piece I can do it.

Option 2

That's too hard let's have a simply colour scheme of brown, teal, turquoise and ivory and not try to add that burgundy in as well :-)

Hope plans are going well for you all.

Offline fourkid

« Reply #120 on: January 31, 2018, 12:15:43 PM »
Fourkid
Try IMGUR.  I find it very straightforward

Thank you. I will definitely look into it.

Offline M lambie

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #121 on: February 01, 2018, 06:34:49 PM »
Thanks so much to everyone for your kind and supportive comments! I really appreciate it.  :-* :-* :-* (wish we had that group hug emoticon here :) )

I've made a pretty good effort to catch up on everyone's progress. ;D (Sorry this will be long LOL!)

Towanda, I really like the photo of your fabrics, everything looks great together. Too bad  you're unsure about the black & white tunic you made - it looks very cool in the photo. :) Good luck figuring out how to use your striped fabric, the dress you describe sounds intriguing.

I'm still ploughing on sewing things, but I have to say I'm finding the two neutrals, accents, prints etc components of the SWAP quite challenging, though I'm quite good at puzzles so hope I can make it work.

Maybe I need to go back and have a little re-read of rules and just get my head straight about what is required.

Ruthie, I'm glad I'm not the only one finding this challenging! ;D I'm really interested to see where you choose to go with your plan as both the ivory and burgundy options sound good to me. At least you will have plenty of great neutral pieces to choose from, no matter which way you go.

Melinda, it's fun when inspiration strikes like that. I like the Jade skirt in your plan, but a linen skirt with fab pockets would be great as well. :D

dementedfairy, I really enjoyed your photoshoot and the collage of photos is a great tool to see how it all works together. My fave is the striped sleeveless top with optional cat accessory. ;)  Well, also the black Brenne skirt with the floral applique is awesome too! I seriously love the idea of that skirt sewn up in your red tartan. As far as which fabrics to count as solids, I'm no help whatsoever. I'm still struggling with the same thing in my own plan. Good luck deciding though. ;D

fabrickated, I actually like the longer length skirt (though maybe I'm in the minority) but maybe with a raw edge hem instead. It looks great with your striped sweater, a very cozy winter look. :)

Turquoise, your grey knit pieces look very nice! Relaxed but stylish. :) The combo Ann's top/4-way cardi turned out great. Very unique & interesting! I think your first effort copying the Next top is quite promising. Can't wait to see the final version.

Wendy, good job almost finishing your two floral tops. I'm looking forward to seeing pics when you have time, but it sounds like you'll be quite busy with the addition of your exchange student. :D

Indigotiger, what amazing progress you've made on your labor-intensive AC style cardi! I really love the blue sleeves and I can picture the blue binding as well. What a fun topper this will be over all your neutral pinafores. :)

Lillie, too bad the duster won't suit sashaying through Safeway as it's lovely. ;D I'm quite interested to see the felted sweater replacement though!

Susan, I'm glad you are finding a way to fix your random dot top. :) And I just love the outfit you posted! The shapes, colors, proportions, everything works well together. Well done.

My "official" SWAP sewing start date is Monday... I'll be aiming for one garment a week, more or less. I did order one new fabric, a navy cotton eyelet that will allow me to keep navy as my 2nd neutral. So I'm feeling a bit happier about the neutral portion of the plan. Still up in the air about prints, though. I may use a pieced fabric as my second print but will decide further along in the process.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #122 on: February 03, 2018, 09:08:24 AM »
I've updated my thread with my recent makes, though not all of them are going to make it into SWAP. To get the mix and match ability the rules require (and a further level that I would prefer) I need to stick with some of the plain fabrics. Every time I go off and use coloured stripes or prints it really limits the combinations those garments can be worn in, which I find interesting.
Of course one could do this exercise on paper or with the fabrics in unsewn format, but even though these items don't get to be in SWAP they do go with enough other things in my wardrobe that I am happy I have sewn them.

I've got a particular Burda trouser pattern on the brain at the moment so I'm letting that run for a few pairs and then I'm going to try a new pattern for a cardigan, and then see what I'd like to do next (more trousers this time more tailored?). Who knows as it is at least a week away.

I have a lot of fabric, and this year I've decided to try things and not worry too much about using the fabric. I have several local resources where I can buy more so using what I have isn't going to cause me a shortage in future.

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #123 on: February 03, 2018, 09:26:37 AM »
I have a lot of fabric, and this year I've decided to try things and not worry too much about using the fabric. I have several local resources where I can buy more so using what I have isn't going to cause me a shortage in future. 

I'm working on not being so precious about my good fabric, and using it.  If it's 'wasted' because the garment doesn't work then at least it was used.  It's currently being wasted by sitting in a box.
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #124 on: February 03, 2018, 09:46:23 AM »
I'm with you on that one Melinda- trying hard to resist buying all the pretties, and plough through my excellent stash.  I only have one piece of fabric so fabulous that I'm dithering.  It's an exquisite drapey silk satin in ivory, bought for the missus, but may well end up being for me.  Well, she is taking too long to make her mind up, and if you snooze, you lose!
I've almost finished my outrageously frilly non-SWAP skirt, and have a whole heap of new ideas burgeoning, so I need to settle down to something.
However, today I'm off out looking at wedding dresses, as I've offered to make one for an old friend's daughter.  Fun!

Offline Helen M

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #125 on: February 03, 2018, 11:02:31 AM »

I'm working on not being so precious about my good fabric, and using it.  If it's 'wasted' because the garment doesn't work then at least it was used.  It's currently being wasted by sitting in a box.

I'm starting to think this way as well!

Not in Swap but like to follow all the progress being made.
Sewing in Cheshire

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #126 on: February 03, 2018, 02:33:47 PM »
Helen, DF, Melinda, I am with you all as well.

Every year with SWAP i try something a little different to focus on.  This year I am diving in and working with a few fabrics that have been taking up space in the closet.

I am very much stalled, however.  I can't seem to get myself motivated. Here it is February and I have not completed one garment!  I'm going to really have to make use of the 15 minutes a day idea going forward. I'll also have to keep the sewing area clean, as it is hard to sew when you can't even get to the machine!

Hoping to hem one of my tops, and figure out how to finish off the armholes of the other.
Wendy

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #127 on: February 03, 2018, 09:16:24 PM »
LillieT I'm with your client I'm afrais- the terracotta is reading as brown, and an alternative accent would inject some vavavoom!  They're all looking lovely and very very wearable though

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2018, 09:34:49 PM »
Wendy, do you want to force that level of discipline on yourself or is this the year to watch and enjoy and sew to your own timeframe?
I think SWAP should be fun and not a slog.

I've decided to sew broadly within the colour themes and within that give myself free reign which is producing a few dead ends but exploring those avenues is creatively interesting.
I parked the teal coat when it got too hard, not because I'm a quitter but because I care about balance in my life. I'm sure I will come back to it again in future but continuing further ( I made a test coat ) was sucking the joy out of it.

I've been wearing several of my new tops though I am always slightly nervous of spoiling them before I can get photos for SWAP. However I have made so much I've decided not to stress about that.

Happy sewing!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 10:45:27 PM by Sew Ruthie Sews »

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2018, 10:11:57 PM »

Wendy, do you want to force that level of discipline on yourself or is this the year to watch and enjoy and sew to your own timeframe?
I think SWAP should be fun and not a slog.

I do agree Ruthie. It doesn't feel like a slog yet, though if it does I will certainly stop. I did finish one top today, and Will be able to get the second complete by the end of the day. I am just going to take it one garment at a time, and see how far I get!
Wendy

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2018, 10:56:31 PM »
Ooh a completed garment, what fun.

DBF and I went out for a meal today (the first time for a while due to me being ill) and I wore one of my tops

with gold earrings and a long necklace. I really liked it.

I'm having fun sewing volume of simple pieces, which lessens the blow when one is a miss, and multiplies the fun when a style is a hit.
Since 23rd December I've managed to sew up 31 metres of fabric ( across 21 items ) which has to be helping to Shrink the Stash.
It would be nice to sew 100 metres during the year. I'm not doing an inventory, just trying to sew more than I buy.

I suspect my sewing rate might well drop off a little as my health continues to improve as I'll be able to do a wider range of activities which will probably mean less time sewing as I will be able to go to choir, visit friends, take walks, do the garden and etc...

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #131 on: February 04, 2018, 08:41:37 AM »
Way to go Wendy, modelling a finished garment !

Also just wanted to share this.
http://www.annewhalley.com/blog/2017/10/9/releasing-the-tension-on-a-slow-sew
Which I thought was an interesting perspective on quick sews versus more complex pieces.

Offline AnnetteB

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2018, 11:54:18 AM »
Ruthie
Thanks for sharing the blog post from Anne Whalley - what wonderful advice and she is just so true in what she says!!
Annette
Queensland Australia

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2018, 02:47:19 PM »
LillieT I'm with your client I'm afraid- the terracotta is reading as brown, and an alternative accent would inject some vavavoom!  They're all looking lovely and very very wearable though

LillieT, I'm also with the client on this one. Hold up some fabrics with complementary colors against your SWAP garments and see what you think. It might firm up your original decision for a tone-on-tone wardrobe. Or not. :)

Kathryn

Offline LillieT

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2018, 03:09:10 PM »
Thanks Dementedfairy, and Kathryn. In her heart Lillie knew that would be the answer. Now, the dilemma is - what should she replace?  The two garments that she considers "terra cotta" or  "rust" are both layers important to the cohesiveness of the collection. Lillie's client is jumping up and down saying " I told you so, I told you so!", but isn't offering any solutions. Lillie googled brown, cream, rust palette and found most of the images included some teal. Lillie's client has a lovely piece of double-faced wool, purchased on the internet, that is teal on one side and supposed to be grape on the other. The reality is, the grape looks more like a very dark huckleberry.  Lillie's client's thinking has been that it would be a shame to not utilize both sides in any garment constructed from this - but Lillie has been unable to come up with a design worthy of this fabric. But, if she only used the teal side maybe she will be more motivated.
Clearly, Lillie and her client have a lot of discussing to do. Interesting that the word cussing is in discussing - never noticed that before, could be prophetic.

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #135 on: February 04, 2018, 03:15:34 PM »
Well Lillie, remember you can have TWO accents and a print?  Call the 'rust' items brown, and all is good.  After all, you're the designer that other woman is the designer.  Or something.  Sigh

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: February 04, 2018, 05:02:11 PM »
Never underestimate the role of good accessories--scarves, necklaces, pashmina shawls, LillieT. I'll bet the designer could whip out some of those or the client has some in her collection already.

If you happen to be a shawl person, we're having a fun discussion about them over on this topic.

I agree that it's too tempting not to showcase the "two-sidedness" of a fabric like that. Even if it's the inside of a hood like this one peeking out, and sleeves cut a bit longer so as to fold up to show the other side, the fabric would feel happy that its two colors were celebrated. (Vogue 9244)

How does the huckleberry play with your rust and brown palette?

Kathryn

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
  • Winner's Points: 1
« Reply #137 on: February 04, 2018, 06:30:10 PM »
Call the 'rust' items brown, and all is good.  After all, you're the designer

that's my story too... and I'm sticking to it. Rust is brown! Go look at some rusted metal. Don't stress over this.

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #138 on: February 04, 2018, 06:57:24 PM »
I'm so happy to see so many of you embracing "you're the designer" and a self made optional accessory could very well bring things together.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #139 on: February 04, 2018, 09:03:50 PM »
Ooh yes the accessories! Ummmm, maybe a scarf? I have nothing properly planned yet.