Author Topic: 2018 SWAP Chatter #2 (continued)  (Read 40743 times)

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
2018 SWAP Chatter #2 (continued)
« on: January 09, 2018, 02:00:33 PM »
I'll be locking the 2018 SWAP Chatter topic, so you can continue on here.

You can find the original topic by clicking here.

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
Re: 2018 SWAP Chatter #2 (continued)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 06:04:10 PM »
So, I finally was home for two days in a row (since christmas I was home only one day), and got started on a SWAP item right away. A navy viscose blouse... had to adjust my TNT shirt pattern for a collar-less style first and prepare the fabric yesterday, then cut and started sewing today. Viscose is so slippery and therefore difficult to cut, so I starched it a bit and now it is really nice to sew (though is smells awful - why do these companys have to use such gruesome perfume that SCREAMS ''resh laundry'? Shouting it would have been enough... :D). The finishing of the blouse has to wait until the end of week, as I am going away again tomorrow. But I feel very content now that I got started!

Ruthie - great coat pattern! This colourblocking will be great.

M lambie - get well soon!

indigotiger - I really like the pinafore outfit as is. I understand this is not your usual undergarment, but it looks great, especially with it peeking out from underneath. Great look!

boppingbeth - glad you attached pictures of your tops,as I cannot access the picture link (to flickr). Very nice details on the black top.

Eva

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 08:34:01 PM »
Wow over 21 pages of SWAP chat and its only 9th january, we are a busy chatting bunch.

The colourblocking thing with the coat is slightly doing my head in.
As its a magazine pattern the pieces are on both sides of a sheet, so I think I will just trace the whole lot, then I can start playing with whether it will actually fit on the yardage in any of the combinations discussed at great length!!!
Or I could sew more trousers...
Sometimes this is why I just make more tee shirts :-)

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 08:48:58 PM »
Ruthie how about you do all the fact finding about yardage needed and then ponder all the choices while moving on to something less complicated. 

Whatever we all think/prefer it’s your coat and maybe once you know what options are possible with your yardage you will just settle on a combination that feels right for you  :)

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 09:02:12 PM »
Thank you Turquoise.

I've just cleared off the dining table, so will get tracing the pattern pieces and then I'll have a better idea.
Find myself a nice murder mystery to have on in the background and a giant mug of tea and all will be right with the world. (well my bit of it anyway).
The coat wsan't in my original SWAP plan but I have become obsessed with it!

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 09:12:53 PM »
That sounds like just the thing Ruthie, I love putting an audiobook on while I’m sewing.  My local library has lots of them you can borrow for free using Overdrive.

Just remember some people like me  ;D haven’t even narrowed down our choices for the SWAP at all - I seem to in a cataloging everything in my sewing room phase.  Hopefully I’ll start making some choices before I’ve produced the stash documentation equivalent of War and Peace  ;D

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 09:21:55 PM »
Ruthie - sometimes the muse of inspiration strikes with something surprising, and this coat sounds like just such a thing. Good luck with the tracing! I am sure that once you have the actual pattern pieces to move around on the fabric, the way forward will look a lot clearer. Plus I can just envision how well this coat will look with your teal components!
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline Garden Girl

• Subscribed Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 09:44:18 PM »
I'm enjoying watching what you all are doing & planning. Nothing SWAP wise happening here anytime soon. No time to even think about. This is day 10 of DH being in the hospital from complications from the flu. I only saw him first time yesterday, masked up. Hospitals are full of flu patients, so they kept him in the ER for 3 days. I wasn't going anywhere near him there, then he was in isolation for a couple of days.

Usually when he is gone fishing or working out of the area I get a mini vacation and get some extra organizing or play time, but I wound up with bronchitis, ruining any plans running through my head. Three days in bed last week with a fever, felt good Friday so did a bit and, huh, then spent Saturday & half of Sunday back in bed. I've had friends getting groceries and meds for me, and I can just keep up for myself & the cats, but good grief. Then I had a team in here yesterday for some energy upgrades. Most bulbs got switched out to LED-bright, shiny- and several fixtures got changed. It was great, but yet another day with no me time. I had yet another person, a gas tech from the power company, visit this AM to check the water heater. The vent was not functioning right. He was able to fix it.

I think I'm free for a couple of days. With these lights when I do get back to my SWAP it should be lovely. These are high CRI LED bulbs and True Color technology. It's like I just filled the house with Ott lights. I can really tell what things look like. Downside is I really need to dust. It's scary bright in some of those rooms.  ::)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 09:46:20 PM by Garden Girl »

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 12:04:54 AM »
Yikes! GardenGirl and Mary get well! (and the Mr's too.)

No SWAPing here. Stomach flu in my house, not me just yet but I'm waiting.  I keep dreaming of things I am going to do, then someone needs something. Hoping to start with a few easy ones this weekend.
Wendy

Offline Bookish

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 12:50:55 AM »

Lillie, that is gorgeous!  Your client must be thrilled  ;D

Oh dear, Mary and Rene (and spouses)... hope health returns soon.  And hoping you can avoid the bug Warpjr...

Offline KarenDee

• Subscribed Member
  • SIgnal Mountain, Tn.
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 04:18:25 AM »
Sending good wishes to all of you with flu, bronchitis, stomach problems or a sick husband. THis  is really an awful time for illnesses. STay healthy and well plus wash your hands often.

Karendee

Offline Sizun

• Subscribed Member
  • East of France / semi continental
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 08:40:51 AM »
It seems the flu and other winter viruses are hard on stitchers and their familly this year... get well soon everyone !
Garden Girl, I'm sure having your home pimped up is well worth a few days away from your to do list. I experienced the same just yesterday when I abruptly decided it was high time I declutered and tidied our bathroom. Now I like it again and feel relaxed and happy in this room.

One Dress A Month Sew Along

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 02:35:30 PM »
Bessiecrocker, I just read that you're back in the game. Yay for you! Take care with your recovery, and enjoy your sewing-while-rehabbing journey. :)

Kathryn

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
  • Winner's Points: 1
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 03:53:38 PM »
thanks for all the good wishes. Hope everyone keeps up the good swapping and can stay or get healthy in the coming weeks. I had that nasty flu in October...the wave hit here really early according to our news reports. NOT fun.

I may be out of action for awhile...but I'm still in the action, even if it's slow.

Offline dementedfairy

• The Demented Fairy blog
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 06:38:36 PM »
Wow!  Some peeps are really blasting along with the making!  I finally got ready to sew last night, and decided to just do some fast and easy overlocking.  So the overlocker promptly went p-tooey and had to be re-threaded four times before it would co-operate.  Eventually I got a couple of things whizzed together, and tonight I'm doing some hand sewing to finish one of them, as I don't want to wreck the troublesome stretch velvet by machine hemming it on the bias!
Keep going everyone, it's all really wonderful to watch
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 06:38:52 PM »
thanks for all the good wishes. Hope everyone keeps up the good swapping and can stay or get healthy in the coming weeks. I had that nasty flu in October...the wave hit here really early according to our news reports. NOT fun.

I may be out of action for awhile...but I'm still in the action, even if it's slow.

Slow is better than stopped in your tracks, bessiecrocker. Slow and steady wins the race.  :) I don't envy you your upcoming ordeal. I wish you well.

Kathryn

Offline kowgiirl.up

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 08:37:00 PM »
Bessie, glad to see that you are pushing ahead. I read your post in your SWAP thread about your Juki having an automatic "hand" sewing feature. This reminded me that my Singer 9960 has that feature as well and like your's, the foot pedal has to be unplugged. I had always thought "why do they need a feature like this", now I know why.
Theresa

Runs with scissors

Offline LillieT

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2018, 09:59:46 PM »
Bessie, I'm glad you discovered the button on your machine to start and stop it.
My parents bought me a sewing machine for my 16th birthday. A door-to-door salesman sold mama a Morse, complete with a cabinet that had a knee control to operate the machine. I loved that machine, and loved the knee control. I now have a vintage Morse that is built in to my sewing cabinet and I figured a way to attach the foot control to the side of the cabinet so I can operate the machine with my knee.
Long-winded story to illustrate there are options for even an old machine.

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 10:13:53 PM »
Ruthie, that is exactly how I sew- an audio book and a nice  big cup of tea with milk.

Rene/ Garden Girl: I really like your sense of humor - the dust comment had me laugh! Get well, you and your husband.
Eva

Offline KarenDee

• Subscribed Member
  • SIgnal Mountain, Tn.
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2018, 03:52:31 AM »
Bessie, am so sorry you will need to have surgery soon, but ultimately, you will feel much better.  I know you have a lot on your plate but hope that they all work out without too much worry and stress. I will keep you in my thoughts during this time. Love the colors you are now using on your SWAP.

Karendee

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2018, 07:53:23 AM »
LillieT, loving the first four pieces, the colours and styles work together very well and have a very designer feel.

BessC, your fabrics all look lovely together.

I am still down the rabbit hole of the dratted coat and not feeling too well, fighting some bug I suspect. So things are inching forwards. If the next thing you see is another tee shirt then don't be suprised..... if I keep on track the next thing will be a short version of the coat in some test fabric to tweak for fitting.

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2018, 12:25:35 PM »
I've stalled a little.  I'm bogged down in study, and the house looks like a tornado has gone through.  Very hard to work when it's like this.  Hopefully I'll get it cleaned up enough to function on the weekend!

I've been following people's threads and discussions, although I haven't been posting much.
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2018, 08:46:25 PM »
dementedfairy your red velvet top looks great :)

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2018, 08:40:53 AM »
LillieT another top and a layer finished! Wow great going. Really impressed with how you are working through the problems which come up and still getting good garments.

Dementedfairy the red top looks great. I was really thrown by the Christmas tree thinking you had made it earlier and only posted it now. However read on your blog you keep the tree up during January so get it now.

I've got some sort of flu like virus thing and spent yesterday in bed so no sewing at all.
Has left me wondering if teal and brown with claret is really a sensible colour palette and whether ivory would make more sense. However I've got a great knit for a cardigan which does have brown, teal and claret in the bouclé like yarn so maybe it does. When I make that perhaps things will be clearer.

Offline Lisanne

• Subscribed Member
  • southern England
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2018, 10:41:39 AM »
Good Luck with your sleeve checking Indigotiger.
It would certainly be sad to spoil such exciting work by not bothering to check !
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2018, 02:50:06 PM »
Lillie, when sewing with slippery rayon (as I am at the moment), I use starch to stiffen the fabric a bit - that way I can control the fabric much better. Just so much you moderately stiffen the fabric works  wonders.

Indigotiger - the cardigan will look great, your applique looks soo good! I also really like that brown and blue together.

Dementedfairy - that red tunic is smashing! I thought about a top with asymmetric hemline last year, but shyed away from it until now. I would like to try one on before dedicating fabric to it, but as I don't like to go shopping and haven't accidentily stumbled across one yet I still don't know, if it suit me. But you, it does for sure! The pattern as well as the fabric, wonderful on you!

Ruthie - glad to hear you are wearing your SWAP items already! I haven't even finished the first... I like teal a lot, so naturally I like your top. Too bad the trousers are scratchy - I had that once with some linen, felt like straw woven in... after washing it twice it was gone and I have trousers made from that fabric I wear in summer. Also, teal, brown and claret together sound like the much more interesting collection.

Bessiecrocker - I just love those fabrics/colours together. All the best for your upcoming  operation and the 'Reha' afterwords.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 04:58:37 PM by Morzel »
Eva

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2018, 04:03:40 PM »
I thought I would check in on everyone's progress, since I, similar to MelindaB, am a bit stalled out.  So far, I only got about 1/4 of the way through the threads!  Sorry to see so many sick with this winter's flu!

LillieT - I am getting such a kick out of your designer/client conversation.  Your garments are also so much fun - there's a real sense of style going on, so I am hoping Lillie the client is appreciative of what Lillie the designer is doing.

IndigoTiger - your pinafore looks great - I know you were upset about the fabric, but it looks good in the photos.  As always, your skills on the AC handwork is something to behold.  Just lovely and I can't wait to see the finished garment.

DementedFairy - Smashing red top, as Morzel said.

BessieCrocker - hope the surgery goes well and that you are able to work with that start/stop button.

Susan - maybe I am not on trend either, but I like your style as demonstrated over the years here- casual, classic, with just a little impishness.  Love the red tunic.

Ruthie - Teal has always been one of my favorite colors, but your recent sews, two piece "dress," plans for the coat, and so forth are making me envious!

Elephun - Like the black and white check top -- I am not understanding what you mean by work better with tissue patterns- your work with the PDFs (Bootstrap etc.) always amaze me, but I think of them as being harder to work with than tissue -- sorry,I must have missed your explanation somewhere!

BoppinBeth - I chuckle everytime I see your SWAP - I hate that when I made two of favorite trousers, I skipped the pockets because I was hurrying to finish.  I would like those pants so much better if I had just followed your "Gotta have pockets" mantra.   The new tops loop so comfortable.

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2018, 04:30:27 PM »
Has left me wondering if teal and brown with claret is really a sensible colour palette ....
Uh oh, is your intuitive self speaking up?  I bought a claret, chocolate and tan ruana this year.  It is a really an interesting plaid.  DH liked it immediately.  Now, I wear the heck out of my ruanas.  Love them so much I have a half-dozen.  But this one sits in my closet.  I should have listened to my little voice and left it on the rack.  It is just now the right color way for me. 
sdBev
sdBev.wordpress.com

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2018, 05:16:52 PM »
Ladies, if you have yet to make your first SWAP garment there is no better time to start than this weekend.  I suggest making your easiest pattern in one of your neutrals.  ;D

I instead will be working on UFOs this weekend and cutting out my Besharl jacket. If I don't get the two planned wool jackets done soon I won't get a chance to wear them this winter.

Offline Elephun

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2018, 06:13:13 PM »
CCL
I have a small Essential Tremor. My hands don’t shake most of the time, and it doesn’t get in my way very much. You would probably never notice it, as an observer. It acts up during certain activities, though. Because of the tremor, I find it difficult to work with the delicate tissue without tearing it. I prefer to work with copier paper as it’s easy for me to control and it has a nice sharp edge for tracing.
At any rate, it’s exhausting to open up a multi-size tissue pattern to find all of the pieces, get them flattened out, and get the thing copied onto firmer tracing paper that I can more easily manipulate for my essential flat pattern adjustments. I hardly ever even want to sew a muslin by the time I’m done with all the initial pattern work.
I may be able to better utilize my pinnable mat to control the layers of paper for tracing purposes. I may resort to ironing entire patterns to crisp interfacing before cutting into them, and then working directly with the pattern as much as possible. I’m open to ideas!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 06:15:00 PM by Elephun »

Offline Susan in Saint John

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2018, 06:36:08 PM »
There are some companies that print patterns on heavier paper, if you happen to like their styles -- Loes Hinse newer patterns, Kwik Sew, Jalie, StyleArc [at least the multisize ones from Amazon].  Some of the companies that sell pdf patterns give you an option of having them printed at an architectural/engineering print shop so they'd be on heavier/copier paper.  Also some books with patterns included are printed on heavier paper.  Then there are the european pattern magazines like Burda which use more of a newsprint weight.

While these options reduce your style universe and may be more expensive, they do help you to avoid the tissue paper that is causing you problems.  I really can't imagine how frustrating it must be for you to work with tissue paper patterns and how it must make sewing less enjoyable for you.

Offline Lisanne

• Subscribed Member
  • southern England
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2018, 08:36:53 PM »
I have a small Essential Tremor.
I have a similar issue - mine used to be called 'scrivener's palsy' !
I do trace nearly everything onto swedish tracing paper.  Ruler and french curve are essential as I can't draw a non-wobbly line freehand.  I'm currently making a skirt that's so easy I thought I could use the tissue direct - but it's already well torn. . .
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 08:38:58 PM by Lisanne »
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Offline LillieT

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2018, 11:35:35 PM »
CCL - At the moment Lillie and her client aren't even speaking - has been a tense day.  Her client insists that diagonal welt pockets on the "surprise" duster made from sand washed rayon would be very "chic".  After making two samples Lillie is ready to quit for the day, maybe even the weekend.  However, Lillie may give it one more try using the starch suggested by Morzel - if it works Lillie and her client can probably get back on speaking terms, especially if her client will offer to fix dinner.

Indigotiger - Lillie has purposefully not shown her client your awesome AC cardigan.  If she sees it she will want one and Lillie has had enough of "slow sewing" for awhile.  Ordinarily Lillie enjoys slow sewing but she's out of sorts over those pockets - actually the whole garment has been a challenge. 

Dementedfairy - love the red top.  Lillie's client had suggested red as an accent color, but Lillie wisely pointed out that only certain reds look good on her client, better to stick with the rust. But you are stunning in your red top. Love the asymmetrical hem, is flattering.

Love seeing everybody's creations, have enjoyed for years, but is so much more fun chatting with the creators. 

Offline Elephun

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2018, 11:46:31 PM »
Thanks for the ideas and encouragement, Susan in Saint John and Lisanne.

I have a collection of mostly designer Vogue patterns, and some vintage big 4 patterns that I'd like to sew some day. I try not to collect too many since I don't sew them often  ;D

If I can figure out how to make tissue less fussy to deal with, I might try sewing a Silhouette pattern someday.

For the most part, I stick with patterns that I can print at home or a copy shop, or that are on heavier paper. I use my rulers and curves when I trace, too!

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2018, 11:53:33 PM »
Lillie may give it one more try using the starch suggested by Morzel - if it works Lillie and her client can probably get back on speaking terms, especially if her client will offer to fix dinner.
I second the suggested use of starch to tame troublesome fabrics... as long as said fabric can be treated with water afterwards to remove starch, it can make even obnoxious fabric behave like quilting cotton. Here is a post I wrote about using starch to tame jersey fabric that was determined to curl into little spirally cords:
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn