Author Topic: Lillie's Upcycled, Recycled Designer Collection  (Read 2298 times)

Offline LillieT

• Subscribed Member
Lillie's Upcycled, Recycled Designer Collection
« on: January 08, 2018, 03:21:27 AM »
I have been a lurker for a long time, have seen many SWAPs and 6 packs, but have not shared. Something Garden Girl said in the thread re: the future of SG made me stop and think that maybe I should be sharing instead of just observing if I expect there to be a future for SG.

That said, my personal designer, Lillie, has a very uninteresting client. Her client is a retired senior citizen who leads a fairly quiet life. Three hundred mile round trips to the doctors, weekly church, occassional lunches with friends, and some shopping comprise most of her wardrobe needs.  Her at home clothes are usually jeans and a sweatshirt or tee shirt, all with paint splatters on them. So she clearly doesn't need more clothes to splatter paint on, so Lillie must concentrate on a cohesive collection that will meet her client's "nice" clothes requirements with strict orders to stay away from the paint.
After much consultation with her client, keeping in mind the SWAP guidelines, and surveying the available resources, Lillie has come up with the following plan:

Neutral #1 - Warm brown
Neutral #2 - Cream
Accent - Terra  Cotta
Print #1 - Brown with roses in shades of terra cotta and cream.
(Since this print is a thrifted sweater, options are limited)
Print #2 - crochet front on overshirt

Garments from the warm brown will include:
  1. Brown linen trousers - Peggy Sagers Sally pants
  2. Two tone brown tee shirt - CJ Patterns keyhole top, modified
     to accommodate two shades of brown, both from thrifted
     Men's polo shirts.
  3. Brown sweater skirt - self drafted pattern consisting of eight
    panels cut from thrifted tees and sweaters

Cream garments are: ( Wonder what Lillie is thinking putting cream on a client who can't get out the door without a smudge)
  4. Cream long sleeved tee shirt recycled from a too large tee.
     Self drafted pattern
  5. Cream Ponte skinny pants - Sandra Betzina pattern from "No
    Time to Sew".
  6. Cream shift dress with elbow length sleeves - Collette's Laurel

Accent terra cotta garments are:
  7.  Terra cotta sand washed rayon shirt - Cutting Lines
     Casablanca
  8. Terra cotta rayon knit - Katherine Hilton's OOP Vest V8777
  9. Terra cotta wool double knit, slightly fulled - self drafted
     overshirt with crochet front

Print garments, really accents:
  10. Print tee shirt (yoke and sleeves) with terra cotta body tee
     shirt - TNT tee shirt pattern
  3. Brown sweater skirt has two panels of the print

11. Brown slinky skinny pants (previously sewn)

Designer Lillie realizes she may be stretching the guidelines with the print, it only shows up in the paneled skirt and as a yoke and sleeves on one tee shirt. The other print is the crochet work on the overshirt.
Several of these garments have been constructed since Dec. 26, photos will follow soon.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 03:25:38 AM by LillieT »

Offline LillieT

• Subscribed Member
Re: Lillie's Upcycled, Recycled Designer Collection
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 12:40:13 AM »
Ok, we'll see if I can post pics

[/url]crochet vest by Lillian Terry, on Flickr[/img]

Offline LillieT

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 12:45:45 AM »
Photo of the sweater vest:

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 01:18:23 AM by LillieT »

Offline LillieT

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 01:01:01 AM »
And more photos - or maybe not

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 01:12:05 AM by LillieT »

Offline LillieT

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 01:16:11 AM »
The last two - hopefully

Offline LillieT

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 01:34:28 AM »
Well, that was a struggle - if Designer Lillie hadn't kept saying "You can do this!" I'd never have made it. 

First photo is of the sweater vest - crochet front worked on the diagonal with various yarns leftover from other projects.  I told Lillie those would be useful someday, and sure enough - she came up with a use for them. 

Second photo is of the sweater skirt. Consists of eight gores cut from four separate thrifted tees and sweaters. The waistband and bottom band are two other tees.  The waistband has a drawstring with elastic that makes the skirt adjustable.

Third photo - Cream (almost a winter white - photo doesn't show it well) tee upcycled from a turtleneck made about ten years ago that no longer fits. Cut new neckline and armholes, reattaching the sleeves after taking in the sides.  Pleated out extra fabric in neckline and applied bound neckband.  Lillie suggested I add the embroidery touch to the neckline - dressed it up a bit.

Fourth photo - TNT tee shirt pattern modified for two fabrics in front and a seam up center front open the last 3-4 inches with a bound neckband.  Caramel brown center front was from a man's quality polo shirt - the fabric is amazing.  The dark brown was from another turtleneck that no longer fit.  Lillie's client has a forward neck that doesn't work well with a turtleneck anymore.

The brown linen trousers were in the laundry, will photograph them when they emerge. 

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 01:36:13 AM by LillieT »

Offline LillieT

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 05:34:56 AM »
Mercy me! I'm afraid Lillie, my designer, is getting really frustrated.  Turns out the "Casablanca" shirt, already cut out (for quite some time), of the terra cotta sandwashed rayon, was not really a Casablanca or a shirt!  Near as Lillie could tell the intent was for a duster type of garment with a somewhat tailored collar, knee length.  It was apparently frankenpatterned from a Peggy Sagers shirt, and who knows what else.  After a great deal of difficulty, partly having to recut the collar, and partly because, like Ruthie, Lillie prefers to sew on knits, not slippery rayon; the shirt/duster is constructed to the point of having to decide whether to add pockets, and, if so, what type - patch or welt pockets.  Lillie gets cranky just thinking about trying to maneuver that slippery rayon into a decent looking welt so patch pockets it probably will be.  At this point her client is being pretty quiet, not wishing to upset Lillie further.

Another change of plans, as mentioned in the SWAP 2018 chat II, Lillie thought it prudent to scrap the brown skinny pants for inclusion in the SWAP and throw in another top that was tunic length and could cover the client's backside when worn with the cream skinny pants.  The available scraps didn't prove long enough to quite qualify as a tunic, but Lillie is quite pleased with the top.  And actually, since the Casablanca shirt turned out to be a layer, another top will prove useful. 

Such is Sewing With A Plan - Your final SWAP garments are what evolved while you were making other plans.  Nothing is cast in concrete. 

Offline LillieT

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 03:57:02 PM »
Wheww, the terra cotta RAYON duster is completed. Lillie is not 100% happy with it, as she expected once she pulled the cut fabric out of the envelope and realized it wasn't the Casablanca her client said it was.
The starch, suggested by several helped, as did some light-weight interfacing. Didn't keep the "welt" pockets from gapping a bit, however. Lillie was pretty sure that would happen as there wasn't a seam to hang the pockets from, but after much "loud" discussion Lillie gave in and put them in.
Lillie isn't convinced Her client will even get that much good out of the duster.  Her client insisted that it would be useful in her SWAP wardrobe, but Lillie has doubts. She is having trouble imagining her client sashaying up and down the aisles at Safeway in this duster. Oh well, the client is always right?
Will post a picture later when it is lighter. Hate these short days!
Next on the list is the cream skinny pants, also a bit impractical. Lillie's hope is that her client will behave herself while wearing them as they should be a nice addition to her client's wardrobe that she can sashay about in Safeway without looking ridiculous
(as long as she makes certain her behind is covered, teehee). Lillie will need to make a muslin first as her client has recently lost some weight. 
By the way, Lillie's client did fix dinner the other night, trying to placate Lillie. Was a good thing too - after all, the only payment Lillie is getting is room and board.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 03:59:48 PM by LillieT »

Offline LillieT

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 05:19:31 AM »
Very belatedly, the promised picture of the duster.  Lillie doesn't think it's going to make the SWAP cut though - Lillie's main objective with this collection is to make everyday wearable items that won't hang in the closet.  Her client, after a good deal of wheedling, has agreed that although the color and the fabric are lushish - she probably won't be sashaying down Safeway aisles anytime soon in it.  Lillie is planning to replace the layer with an upcycled felted sweater which will certainly be worn in Safeway, sayshaying or not. 

« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 05:23:08 AM by LillieT »

Offline LillieT

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 08:20:03 PM »
Dear SWAPpers, Lillie and her client needs some assistance settling an argument about their SWAP 2018 Designer Collection.  Lillie believes she has followed the guidelines carefully and that there is no need to replace anything.  Her client thinks the colors are boring and that they all look brown - even though Lillie insists some garments are terra cotta or, probably more correct, rust.  This collage was hastily put together so they can both see everything in one place.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 08:24:20 PM by LillieT »

Offline LillieT

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 07:22:11 PM »
After a bit of discussing, no "cussing" this time, Lillie and her client agreed that the double faced teal/dk huckleberry would work with the collection. They agreed that the "rust" draped vest and the panelled brown skirt could be eliminated. She will still wear them, just not part of SWAP.
In their place, a simple straight skirt and a vest from V8399, an old Marci Tilton pattern that is OOP.
Lillie's client has had the Tilton pattern for a long time, bought back when she was still lying to her self about her size, so will need to do a muslin. A quick measurement of the pattern pieces show there is ample room at the hips, but the upper bodice will have to be adjusted for narrow, rounded shoulders and a bit of dowager's hump.
The vest has an inset in the back seam and some trim at the front. The suggested fabric is organza which is pin tucked before the pattern pieces are laid out. As there is no organza is available Lillie is considering using the dk side of the wool and substituting decorative hand stitching for the tucks, thinking the tucks would make it too bulky.

Offline LillieT

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 05:19:23 AM »
As I posted on the chatter thread, Lillie and her client have merged into one. I am recovering from bronchopneumonia. While I was down I slowly worked on a teal vest to add some va-vooom to my collection.
I also reworked the whole plan to accommodate the two accent colors. Then, the cream pants ( Lillie knew better) met with an unfortunate accident that won't wash out leaving me with only two cream garments. So........the new plan:
Neutral #1 warm brown
Neutral #2 rust
Print - rose print, brown, cream and rust.
Accent #1 cream
Accent #2 teal
I will attempt to post revised photos tomorrow after church.

Offline LillieT

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 04:16:36 AM »
You can click on the following link to see a closeup of the upcycled merino sweater. I started with a man's XL beige merino sweater. I overdyed it with two colors, one russet, the other pumpkin.  I also dyed some merino fingering yarn at the same time which I used to crochet the first two rows and the fifth of the edging. It still needed something, Lillie tried to tell me to add a row of teal, but I didn't listen. Instead, I dyed some more of the fingering yarn with a sprinkle method that resulted in the speckled yarn I used on the edging. I am quite satisfied with it, have gotten the ultimate compliment both times I've worn it, "You look really nice!" To me, that is much better than I like your cardigan - to me it says I was successful in my designing. (Hear Lillie giggling in the background). We both know it was her influence even if I didn't listen about the row of teal.

https://flic.kr/p/21HFEcU

modified by Kathryn (fzxdoc), SG Admin Team, to insert photo
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 05:06:23 PM by fzxdoc »

Offline LillieT

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 05:09:31 PM »
I think I've come up with one way to post a pic, not ideal, but will do for now.  Lillie reminded me that I forgot to mention that I had lightly felted the sweater before dyeing and then cut the cardigan, rounding the lower front edges.

Offline LillieT

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2018, 03:16:16 PM »
As winter has slowly turned into early spring in Eastern Oregon so has my SWAP plan evolved from winter garments to lighter, brighter clothing.  The original plan yielded a very wearable winter wardrobe that saw me through the last of winter.  Some of the original garments are making the transition and some will be stored for fall.

My original plan included: New plan
Neutral #1 - Warm brown - stays the same
Neutral #2 - Cream  - change to Terra Cotta
Accent - Terra Cotta - change to Cream
Print #1 - Brown with roses in shades of terra cotta and cream.
(Since this print is a thrifted sweater, options are limited) - eliminated this print
Print #2 - crochet front on overshirt - eliminated this print
Added Accent #2 - Teal
Added one garment combining neutral and accent colors

Garments from the warm brown will include:
  1. Brown linen trousers - Peggy Sagers Sally pants - Scrapped these - was a remake from a previously sewn garment,
      just couldn't get the fit right.

2. Two tone brown tee shirt - CJ Patterns keyhole top, modified
     to accommodate two shades of brown, both from thrifted
     Men's polo shirts. - Scrapped this shirt as well - the neckline just doesn't lay right - will attempt to remedy it for fall.
  3. Brown sweater skirt - self drafted pattern consisting of eight
      panels cut from thrifted tees and sweaters

Cream garments are: ( Wonder what Lillie is thinking putting cream on a client who can't get out the door without a smudge)
  4. Cream long sleeved tee shirt recycled from a too large tee.
     Self drafted pattern - exchanged this for a thrifted cream silk pullover
  5. Cream Ponte skinny pants - Sandra Betzina pattern from "No
    Time to Sew". - these pants met with an accident, however, Lillie has come up with a remedy. They will not be
    included in my SWAP though. Also changed pattern to CJ Patterns Perfect Skinny Pant.

6. Cream shift dress with elbow length sleeves - Collette's Laurel - Stays

Accent terra cotta garments are: - Changed Terra Cotta to a neutral
  7.  Terra cotta sand washed rayon shirt - Cutting Lines
     Casablanca - This garment was eliminated
  8. Terra cotta rayon knit - Katherine Hilton's OOP Vest V8777 - Actually used CJ Patterns front draped vest. It is also
      eliminated

9. Terra cotta wool double knit, slightly fulled - self drafted
     overshirt with crochet front - loved this vest, much too warm for spring though eliminated
Neutral terra cotta garment in spring SWAP plan include:
  1. Terra Cotta ponte skinny pants - CJ Patterns Perfect skinny pants.  Overdyed a rayon/lycra ponte to achieve the terra
       cotta
  2. Terra Cotta sweater - TNT tee shirt pattern. - overdyed a gifted sweater knit
  3.  Bright Terra Cotta tunic - TNT tee shirt lengthened to tunic length, fabric from stash, unknown fibre content

Print garments, really accents: Eliminated
  10. Print tee shirt (yoke and sleeves) with terra cotta body tee
     shirt - TNT tee shirt pattern - Wore this a lot, but a bit heavy for spring - eliminated
  3. Brown sweater skirt has two panels of the print Just considering this part of the neutral brown - just considering
      this part of the brown neutrals

Added accent - Teal
   1. Teal long line cardigan - adapted from TNT Tee shirt pattern - purchased teal crumpled slinky
   2. Teal tunic with Lace back yoke and sleeves - TNT Tee shirt pattern - lengthened 4" - teal crumpled slinky, lace from
       stash
One garment using both neutral and accent colors
  1.  Teal and brown patchwork skirt. Self drafted pattern - made from upcycled tee shirts and scraps of fabric from stash.

11. Brown slinky skinny pants (previously sewn) One of the neutral brown garments

I hope this is not too confusing.  I will be posting pictures of the new garments over the next few days.  My great-granddaughter Jaedyn, who was injured, is unable to attend school for the remainder of the school year.  I am going to have her take my photos in an attempt to help keep her busy. She will have a tutor as well as some online classes to keep her up with her grade level.  She has also asked me to teach her to sew - marvelous opportunity that I am excited about.   

Offline LillieT

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2018, 08:59:47 PM »
I have come to realize why I would not be very good at writing a blog.  I am too inconsistent with posting things.  Life happens and I forget to post the things I have been doing.
In a small effort to catch up, I have pics of the ill-fated cream ponte pants that met with a small accident.  I had laid them on top of the washer in order to treat a small stain, not realizing that there were a few grains of Rit denim dye that I missed cleaning up when I spilled a bit of the dye several weeks ago.  It only got on the left left leg fairly high up.  I immediately rewashed them, but, dye is dye and there were still spots of navy on the front of the left leg. I was ready to toss them since I used CJ's Perfect Pants skinny pants pattern and there wasn't any pieces large enough to remake into something else. However, Lillie stopped me and suggested I cut some leaves from a discarded tee shirt and embroider them on the left front upper leg along with a vine to connect them.  She also suggest to add some of the same embroidery to the right lower leg to tie it together and make it looked intentional.  I was pretty satisfied with the results.  I have used a filter to enhance the design, as it is tone-on-tone it is hard to capture the detail in a photo.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 09:11:03 PM by LillieT »