Author Topic: Narrowing Pants From A Wide Leg to A Narrow Leg  (Read 10170 times)

Offline LauraS.

Narrowing Pants From A Wide Leg to A Narrow Leg
« on: May 02, 2011, 04:37:30 AM »
I have a pair of rtw in a nautical stripe that has a straight wide leg.  I want to narrow it down.  I'm thinking I just need to take in the same amounts on both the inside and outside seams.  How far up on the inseam should I go?  On the outside seam?  Any other tips I don't know that might help?  Thanks in advance!

Offline karent

• ACorgiHouse
Re: Narrowing Pants From A Wide Leg to A Narrow Leg
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 01:29:16 PM »
It depends on the grain/hang, and how narrow you want.  The quickest, easiest way in my mind - do you have a pair that is the size leg you want?  You can lay that on top of the pant you want narrowed, match up the grainlines, crotch, hip points, and chalk in some tentative stitching lines.  Pin or baste and see if they hang the way you want (won't be perfect, as you'll have that extra in the seam allowances, but you'll get an idea), and can do a bit of adjusting from there to get it just right.  K

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 01:58:44 PM »
I narrowed a pair of jeans, and basically what I did was take in the side seam and inseam in equal amounts.  That way, you will keep the grain line intact.  I drew the new seam lines with chalk and the just followed the line using my serger.  It worked perfectly.
"This is emphatically not a quick project, just savour the process..."  Ann Rowley

My Blog
http://janssewingroom.wordpress.com

Offline LauraS.

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 01:06:26 AM »
Thanks, Karen and Janis, I was basically going to do what both of you have suggested.  I just need to watch my grainline.  The pants have a narrow stripe and I want to keep it straight, of course.  Had hoped to get it done tonight, but I'm pooped!

Offline Pipsy

• Ulysses July 2 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 08:11:18 AM »
I am sorry I cannot retrieve the article but Threads had a tutorial on how to do this.  It was on the Threads site, referenced in one of their newsletter.  Try searching for Threads site then do a search there.  Many, if not most of their how to articles are very good.  I actually cut and paste the info to a Word Document so could send it to you if you want.  The into to the article by Karen Howland notes "If you simply taper the seams on an existing pants pattern or on ready-to-wear pants, you'll typically find that there's still more fabric below the seat and under the belly than you want. Here's how to take out part of the width from the side and inseams and part from within the pattern, in both front and back......"
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 08:15:05 AM by Pipsy »
If I stitch fast enough does it count as an aerobic exercise?
My soul is fed by my needle and thread.

Online Pina

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 10:07:30 AM »
I am sorry I cannot retrieve the article but Threads had a tutorial on how to do this.  It was on the Threads site, referenced in one of their newsletter.
Pipsy,here is the Threads article on tapering or widening pants.  ;)

Offline Pipsy

• Ulysses July 2 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 11:34:29 PM »
Thanks, Pina.  I had downloaded it and do have the information. I keep a file on articles that I think I will use.  As web sites don't always download well or shut down I cut and paste into a Word document and I now insert the web site in case I want to go back to the original.  Unfortunately, I just started to do this, after losing some wanted info, so didn't have that address :(.  I hope others will find the article as interesting as I did.
If I stitch fast enough does it count as an aerobic exercise?
My soul is fed by my needle and thread.

Offline LauraS.

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 01:39:39 AM »
Thanks, Pina and Pipsy, I'll read this article tomorrow.  I started working on the pants tonight.  Basted one leg down and then family called out.... What I did seemed to fit well. 

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics