Author Topic: Decluttering 2018  (Read 16905 times)

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
Re: Decluttering 2018
« Reply #245 on: August 07, 2018, 09:44:05 AM »
Ten weeks isn't long but, if you aren't working, you'd be surprised with how much you can declutter if you have people packing for you.

Hubby and I both work full time, from early in the morning to evening.  I'm taking a few days off work this week and next, and hopefully will be able to get through most of it.  My major issue is getting rid of it, particularly since most places that I can drop things off to are only open weekdays when we're working.  Hence needing time off work. 

I do work best to a deadline, so this is a great motivator to get going!
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Offline Ann

• Subscribed Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #246 on: August 07, 2018, 09:58:35 AM »
Good luck Melinda. I know how hard it is when you work full time and try to get things to the thrift shop. Keep us posted on how you are doing.
Education is a journey not a race.

http://everythingsewing.blogspot.ca/

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #247 on: August 07, 2018, 11:19:32 AM »
Good luck Melinda. I know how hard it is when you work full time and try to get things to the thrift shop. Keep us posted on how you are doing. 

Thanks Ann, I really appreciate all the support from friends on here!
Melinda

Perth, Australia

Offline Helen M

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #248 on: August 07, 2018, 04:22:24 PM »
Good luck Melinda, what short notice though. Are you staying in the same area?
Sewing in Cheshire

[/url]

Offline JuneBug

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #249 on: August 07, 2018, 06:51:49 PM »
Best of luck with the move/packing/decluttering, Melinda.

Offline AnnetteB

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #250 on: August 07, 2018, 08:42:03 PM »
Melinda_B

Best wishes to you with your decluttering!!

Good luck with finding a new place to live!!
Annette
near Gladstone, Queensland, Australia

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #251 on: August 07, 2018, 10:13:06 PM »
Good luck Melinda, what short notice though. Are you staying in the same area?

Yes, we're looking to stay in the same area or surrounding suburbs, possibly a little closer to work
Melinda

Perth, Australia

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #252 on: August 09, 2018, 08:31:54 PM »
Oh, Melinda, I don't envy you that move. Moving is decluttering with a capital "D". It's good in the long run, boxing up only what you need at this point in your life and jettisoning off the rest, but oh so exhausting.

Hang in there--I'll be thinking of you. I still haven't recovered from our big move 10 years ago!  :))

Kathryn
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count:

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #253 on: August 09, 2018, 10:40:03 PM »
I cleared out some boxes from the garage that I had stashed for 'later', they were water damaged and mouldy so the contents almost all got binned. Mostly old training courses and ideas for kids costumes from when brother's kids were small) so no great loss.
However I do wish I'd dealt with them earlier.

Id di it the day before the wheelie bin got emptied so they were quickly gone thankfully.

Offline Susan in Saint John

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #254 on: August 10, 2018, 12:46:01 AM »
I have completed the first purge of my quilting fabric.  Two boxes are leaving tomorrow with DD and DGD.  I have 4 boxes for my sister to go through when she visits in September.  The remainder will probably go to a local quilt guild for their charity quilt projects.

Offline Helen M

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #255 on: August 10, 2018, 09:03:42 AM »
I read a blog regarding decluttering this week where they mentioned keeping a box for all 'maybe' items and then you can donate or whatever after a certain time.

I decided that it could also be a good way of dealing with fabric that you have just gone off that is still taking space and stopping you moving on. I found 2 such pieces in one box this week and I've now got to start in my sewing room, so I think I'll give it a go. At least you can see what you think would turn into garments that you will wear rather than being put off by some "what was I thinking of" pieces.
Sewing in Cheshire

[/url]

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #256 on: August 10, 2018, 11:24:36 AM »
Today I wrote up a room by room list of what needed to be done.  It's a fairly long list, however just having it written down feels a lot more doable - I don't have to declutter a whole room, I can pick just one spot.  I've already crossed off a few on the list, which feels very good!  I'm also working on what makes the most impact - what can I leave if I run out of time (and/or energy), and what do I really have to get done beforehand.
Melinda

Perth, Australia

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #257 on: August 10, 2018, 12:47:44 PM »
Sounds like a good plan, Melinda.

Kathryn

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #258 on: August 10, 2018, 01:30:21 PM »
I've also discovered our local 'Buy Nothing' group on facebook.  It's similar to Freecycle, except it's a group on FB rather than an email group.  I've put several craft items/collections up today and they've all been claimed already.  People come to pick them up, so I don't have to worry about how to dispose of them.  Loving it!

On a non-declutter note, they had a Friday Big Ask day, for when you want something big and are hesitant to post.  I asked for 4-6 dining chairs, as we have craft group here and I don't have enough.  Fold up chairs tend to be too low.  Tomorrow we're picking up four heavy wrought iron dining chairs!
Melinda

Perth, Australia

Offline Ann

• Subscribed Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #259 on: August 10, 2018, 08:23:07 PM »
Sounds like you have a good plan in place Melinda. And awesome that you had what you wanted to go gone. Sounds like your chairs are needed if you do crafts.

Ann

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #260 on: August 10, 2018, 09:22:54 PM »
Wow, that's great, Melinda!

Kathryn

Offline LynnH

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #261 on: August 11, 2018, 01:39:04 AM »
My decluttering took a twist I didn't expect.  DM must move in with us and I'm starting the plan to sort thru everything and move her north.
Lynn

Offline ljh

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #262 on: August 11, 2018, 02:35:25 AM »
Good for you Melinda!

Lynn, all the best to you with this new challenge.

I sorted through my paint this afternoon.  I've been doing some repainting to freshen things up (same colors, so it's not particularly difficult) and now I've sorted through the paint I've kept for touch ups and saved a few ounces of the fresh stuff.  The old stuff and excess from the painting is ready to go to the paint recycling.  I've still got one room (and stairwell) to paint, but it will be great to get rid of the rest of it in the meanwhile.
Linda

Offline Ann

• Subscribed Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #263 on: August 11, 2018, 09:27:10 AM »
We are trying to paint our house and I now have 5 paint sample cans. Not sure if I like any of them. This house is hard to figure out what color to paint it. It has to do with the floors and the color the walls are now. The walls really interfere with color choice. I keep thinking warm tones but I think I may have to say light and airy and hope I do the right thing. Right now what I am choosing seems to clash with the present wall color.

I cleaned up the sewing room yesterday morning. I put away items that were out and swept the floor. It looks much better and I am ready to hem pants and blazer for DGS. He starts private school this year and has a uniform wear, which he is proud of. I can sew between hand hemming.

Ann

Offline Sewshopper

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #264 on: August 11, 2018, 02:10:21 PM »
A widow up the street passed away last year.  Her children had to bring in a truck sized dumpster to ‘declutter’ the place.  My, did that get me motivated!  I still need to get serious about the sewing room but have the basement under control.  It is so easy to just move boxes down there and forget about them.

Karleene

Offline ljh

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #265 on: August 11, 2018, 09:33:26 PM »
Karleene, I've had a "real" basement only once and you're right about just putting stuff down their and forgetting about it.  It coincided with the kids being elementary school aged, so there was lots of incentive to save things we might need "later."  Then came time to move...  Let's say I've tried to keep a better eye on things since then.

I still shudder when I think about cleaning out my DFIL's basement after he died.
Linda

Offline LyndaC

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #266 on: August 12, 2018, 02:32:59 AM »
Oh, No!  Now I feel guilty about not declutering my basement!  I have stuff down there both sons left when they married.  I even have my great grandmother's gorgeous ornate trunk...I don't know why. She does not need it in Heaven!  But I do not need it!

The basement also has a kitty litter box, freezer, old empty pots, empty boxes in case we need to return the item that was in the box, lots of lumber, picture frames, many work lathes, saws, carpentry equipment, many brooms, two empty sealable extra clothing storage units I intended to sell, kids' year books and memory items, (they are now adults with mini mansions of their own, so why do I have their stuff?) ... not much of value.

I just know if I get rid of it, someone will want something...

Offline Sewshopper

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #267 on: August 12, 2018, 03:09:11 AM »
I have been trying to get both DS & DD to take their left over possessions for years. Last week DH suggested UPSing them to the respective homes. It would get it out of here but would take a lot of effort.

Karleene

Offline Ann

• Subscribed Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #268 on: August 12, 2018, 10:05:42 AM »
Our children have been gone from the house for years. We hauled their stuff through 3 moves and finally said enough. We delivered it to our children after they both looked and said what they wanted. It is gone and it lightened our load. They both took only 3 or 4 small boxes and they still have the items they took. It was a hard nose approach but we knew we couldn't keep it forever.

We had one basement that wasn't finished and it became the dropping spot for everything. When we moved out that house, we had to go through everything and take only what we wanted. We were moving from 3400 square feet to 1500 square feet. It was an okay purge but we still moved lots with us and it took 5 more years to purge the rest. I am happy that our storage space is under the stairs. We have purged it once and will have to do it again before Christmas. I'm okay with that as it sure keeps the junk at bay.

Ann

Offline ljh

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #269 on: August 12, 2018, 02:08:35 PM »
I still have a fair amount of the kids' stuff here, as they lack storage space and we don't.  However, I did tell them if it was still here when they turn 40 I'll get rid of it unless there is a really good reason for us to keep something for them.   :))  Meanwhile, it has to fit in the closets in their old bedrooms.
Linda

Offline Judith

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #270 on: August 16, 2018, 06:32:30 PM »
About those paint cans sitting around just in case:

How much touch up paint can any household really need? Paint stores sell paint it itsy little tins now. It's perfect for testing. It costs less than $10 at tin. Or we can buy the tins empty, put a cup or so of the leftover paint in them, and toss the rest, or take it to a donation place that will accept it.

When we moved, we had big tins of paint in the basement, in colours that were changed at least twice since those tins were stored. We operated on "you never know".  Well, after 35 years in that house, I know. That paint will never get used.

Now, I sort of wimped out on the new house. There were too many decisions to make (my excuse). We had two colours in the old house that I really liked, one a restful green and the other a shade of yellow that, to me, said "clean"   Yeah, okay, the paint talked to me :)

So, in the midst of too many decisions, I had to pick paint colours. I had the whole house painted in those two colours. Everything except the bathrooms are that restful green. The bathrooms are yellow. And I love it. And, our paint storage consists of two itsy bitsy tins of paint for touchups, plus a card with the paint numbers on it, plus a photo of that card.

I haven't been here for a long time. I no longer sew clothes and there don't seem to be any longarm quilters here. But I'm glad that, when I dropped by today, the level of activity seems to be increasing and things seem to be going well.

Judith

People are generally as happy as they allow themselves to be. Abraham Lincoln

Offline theresa in tucson

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #271 on: August 17, 2018, 12:11:34 AM »
Judith, we have rental property and decided to use the same paint color for everything.  It's all "cottage white".  But there's an interesting dilemma with paint; the touch up paint always seems to come out a slightly different color so you know where the wall has been touched up.

Offline ljh

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #272 on: August 17, 2018, 01:02:35 AM »
Theresa, paint fades, so it may take time to blend in.  Also, depending on the level of flat or glossiness, that can alter over time.  I'm still trying to figure out why the "eggshell" paint in the family room ended up with less gloss than the leftover paint I used for touch-ups.  The touch-up paint did not match the wall even after 3 years, or so, and yet it came from the same can.  The only thing I can think of is that the paint underneath the original coat of this paint interacted with it somehow.

I think I'd have fewer colors in the house if I had it to do over (or were younger,) but changing it all now would be more of a nuisance than just having to keep a number of little jars of paint around.  Painting over with the same paint means you don't need to be as careful-or if you have a wall with a bunch of bookshelves or something in front, you really don't have to repaint it at all.  Nothing can have happened to it, and no one sees it anyway.
Linda

Offline Remnant

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #273 on: August 17, 2018, 02:18:29 PM »
Impressive descluttering efforts, especially those who continue to sort and toss during this hot summer.

A couple of years ago we moved to an apartment in a major city for a temporary work assignment. We kept our home as we love it and will retire here in a few years. Instead of spending our moving allowance on moving our goods, we used it to bare-bones furnish an apartment on the other end. I really didn’t want my things to suffer the inevitable moving damages. Besides, since losing almost everything 5 or 6 years ago in a moldy move disaster, most of our things are relatively new and still in excellent condition and were purchased to fit into this house.

But now we are back at home, having given up the apartment in June. Our daughter took the huge TV we had at the apartment and it fits perfectly in her new home. I will miss it, as ours is much smaller but we don’t have a big enough wall in our open-concept home. The apartment was in the city where family lives, so that was such a nice bonus! We were able to get rid of much, but too much made it back here, and I’m still dealing with an extra sofa and recliner (which my son may or may not want and which I’m having difficulty selling) plus a couple pairs or lamps, which can easily be donated. The extra furniture is driving me batty!

My biggest challenge was merging two kitchens into one as we purchased some items, utensils, dishes  and small appliances which we intended to keep. When it came down to it, I had a very hard time giving up the old stuff which I had fully intended to get rid of. In the end, decisions were made and the discarded items were donated.

I also had a hip replacement somewhere in the mix, and the strain of the packing, unpacking, etc, has really had an ill affect on my healing all these months later.

One HUGE bonus of our small town is that we have MONTHLY curbside pickup! I was able to put out my old king sized mattress and it was hauled away! We had needed a new one, so we purchased a good one for the apartment. The Town takes anything and everything, except chemicals, monthly.

Speaking of chemicals... Last year, during a rare trip back here from the apartment, I got the urge to clean out the attached to the house shed. Former owners left huge amounts of paint and buckets of tar and what not. I’d come to the point that I wanted that space cleared. It’s the last remaining area of my home  that needed sorting. The plan was to clean it out Sauturday and haul it to the dump on Monday. On Monday, at the dump, we were notified that there were only specific dates, twice a year, which the town sets aside to accept chemicals, and this was not it. Who knew? I was so disappointed. But not to worry, the very next weekend was! I’m not sure why, but we were planning on being here that long, so it all worked out perfectly! If I had waited even one weekend to sort and clear it out, I would have had to hang onto all that stuff for a year or more, until we returned here permanently.

My shed was sorted and cleaned and remains so. It’s the only extra storage we have as we have no basement or large closets. This really keeps our urge to purchase things to nil. We need nothing except for maybe something for a bare wall in the bedroom. A stunning piece of art would be nice. I would like to obtain a base cabinet for the laundry room to store cleaning supplies, etc, rather than the open shelving I now have. I like things put away out of sight. Much tidier and easier to clean.

With all the back and forth between the apartment and home over the last couple of years, seasonal clothing was hauled back and forth as needed, but kept boxed into suitcases. I repeatedly purged as I packed and unpacked, but was still concerned about fitting everything back into place once I got back home. I did such a good job of purging, that my closet is quite manageable and I only have a couple of totes of seasonal things, which I tuck l away easily. My goal is to fill my wardrobe out with fun and  colorful items to wear with my preferred basics.   

Well, that was a book!

Offline ljh

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #274 on: August 17, 2018, 02:26:03 PM »
A book?  Maybe.  But a good read, nonetheless.  Congrats on getting all that sorted out (mostly.)
Linda

Offline LyndaC

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #275 on: August 17, 2018, 06:43:59 PM »
I am still decluttering my closets.  We discovered that one of the closet walls was never caulked when we built the house 40 years ago. 

Offline Ann

• Subscribed Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #276 on: August 17, 2018, 09:00:58 PM »
I am up to 9 different colors on the test wall. I like two of them; both are a creamy neutral. One is very light and the other is darker. DH is eyeing a grey that is too dark.

When we sold the house in Ashcroft, we left the paint there for the buyer as he requested it. I took several cans with us to Kamloops that were already packed and used them in the basement. When we left Kamloops, we got rid of all the useless paint and left what belonged to that house. Those buyers wanted it also. Here we got rid of the paint that was left. The people had the house painted in 2015 and put it on the market in 2016. The buckets of paint left over was waste even for the previous owners.

When we paint this house, I will keep a small container of the paint, the card with the formula on it and a picture of said card. That will be it. I am learning you need not keep a lot of paint. A friend who is a painter buys less than he needs and goes back for more. He will do a room or two and then buy more. I am thinking about doing that also so we have more control on having less paint left over.

Ann

Offline Remnant

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #277 on: August 17, 2018, 09:43:18 PM »
I’m a big fan of keeping a small jar of paint for touch up jobs. I keep it with pertinent information attached in a tote in which I store painting supplies.

Which makes me reliaze something that has made a HUGE impact on my peace of decluttered mind: tote stations.

I have these plastic tote stations set up in my shed:
- painting
- car washing
- extension cords/bungee cords (though I keep a cord attached to my leaf blower at all times to same me time and aggravation which results in frequent use)
- a tote or two of Pfalzgraff dishes which I used for years and which I want to keep. I think I’m ready to part with them.
- bbq
- Christmas decorations - just one or two as we’ve really cut back on decorating. We set up a little town which gives great joy to my husband
- gardening

Setting  up those stations has simplified my life so that I no longer cringe when I need to find something.

What are your favorite organizing hints for me?

« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 09:46:01 PM by Remnant »

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #278 on: August 18, 2018, 09:09:38 AM »
Decluttering is not my strong point, so I always hesitate to post here. But I am a big fan of bin storage...keeping stuff you use together--stored together.

I have bins for:

fast gardening--spontaneous weeding, dog mess pick up, watering, string to tie plants, and my sheers and big choppers. this lives tucked away on the terrace, so I have instant access and can attack small garden chores when I have a spare moment or the weather is good.

holidays. Christmas stuff is divided into when I unpack it...advent in one box, all tree stuff together. Easter all together, except egg dying which is considered a "kitchen mess" and goes with seldom used kitchen excess.

extension cords tend to go with the stuff I use them with... one in the cabinet with the hot plate, for example. If I need a cord for something else, I know where to look for one. And I make an effort to return it to where it lives!

I have a "big party" bin -- stuff I only haul out when lots of people are coming over.

I also sort my medicine cabinet (big cupboard) by how it gets used. You can pull out a tote and find all the stuff you need to deal with a "big cut" and lots of blood, another deals with "sunburn and bug bites", another holds my (large) selection of head ache and "pain" meds, another is "sprains and muscles". This is super efficient if you have some sort of actual medical emergency ...you're not digging through everything because the tape is one place but the guaze is another and you've got an overview of what your options are.

I have a "my tool" bin. Tools that I can use myself (not guy stuff.) I regret to say this usually lives in my sewing room as I tend to use it for craft or quick home repair projects. But if I need a hammer for setting snaps, I've got one handy!

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #279 on: August 18, 2018, 02:54:40 PM »
Bessie

My tool bin is in my sewing room too but only so my tools wont be taken and not returned.
sdBev