• Welcome to Stitcher's Guild Reloaded. Please login or sign up.
May 20, 2019, 03:09:19 am

News:

Much of the forum is now hidden unless you are registered, subscribed and logged in. 

Private messages and verification emails

Started by DragonLady, December 30, 2017, 12:09:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonLady

Is anyone else experiencing trouble sending private messages and / or receiving verification emails after changing a password or during the registration process?

If so, either post for me here to tell me what happened, or send me an email: dl@artisanssquare.com
The road to our success is always under construction.
If you should have any trouble with any aspect of the forums, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

Buy a Subscription Now to participate in all of our great discussions! Less than .75¢ per week for all-you-can-eat access. :)  Gift Subscriptions are available, too; just message me for assistance anytime.

Visit my Etsy shop for gorgeous buttons, craft, & sewing supplies:<br />https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

sewvt

December 30, 2017, 02:36:55 pm #1 Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 02:41:14 pm by sewvt
Have sent you an email.  Tried to pm another member just now with the same issue - nothing in my sent box.

DragonLady

Quote from: sewvt on December 30, 2017, 02:36:55 pm
Have sent you an email.  Tried to pm another member just now with the same issue - nothing in my sent box.

Okay; I haven't gotten  your email yet, but sometimes it takes a while.

I'm going to open the database, and see if I can find your message there.  I promise not to read it; but it's the only way I can tell if the board is at least trying to send them, and may hold a clue to what happened.
If you should have any trouble with any aspect of the forums, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

Buy a Subscription Now to participate in all of our great discussions! Less than .75¢ per week for all-you-can-eat access. :)  Gift Subscriptions are available, too; just message me for assistance anytime.

Visit my Etsy shop for gorgeous buttons, craft, & sewing supplies:<br />https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

sewvt

So this is interesting - I just received a reply from the other member, so the email went through.  It just doesn't show in my sent folder.  Maybe there's a lag there also before it shows?

DragonLady

As far as I can tell, nearly all or all of the private messages being sent are being received.

But, we do have a few empty rows, showing that someone tried, but the server 'dropped' the information before it went through.

This is yet another server-side issue, so I'll send another support ticket to our hosts.

DragonLady

A ticket has been submitted, but as it's a holiday weekend, so I don't know who -if anyone- is there who can handle the issue.

With just a little bit of luck and a fair trade wind, we'll be on a different server soon.

/DL misses the days when a hosting company could be on fire, and still prevent data loss.

Diane in WV

December 30, 2017, 05:16:23 pm #6 Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 05:18:07 pm by Diane in WV
Quote from: DragonLady on December 30, 2017, 03:18:51 pm
A ticket has been submitted, but as it's a holiday weekend, so I don't know who -if anyone- is there who can handle the issue.

With just a little bit of luck and a fair trade wind, we'll be on a different server soon.

/DL misses the days when a hosting company could be on fire, and still prevent data loss.
And...who knows if someone can fix busted pipes (water pipes, not our's , but DS).

Off topic, but it's on our minds here, sorry. Driving us crazy, as we can't get out to his house, we are snowed in.
Let's talk about math

DragonLady

Quote from: Diane in WV on December 30, 2017, 05:16:23 pm
Quote from: DragonLady on December 30, 2017, 03:18:51 pm

And...who knows if someone can fix busted pipes (water pipes, not our's , but DS).

Off topic, but it's on our minds here, sorry. Driving us crazy, as we can't get out to his house, we are snowed in.

Oh, I understand.  I have a few tempests of that sort on my mind right now, too.

It's hard, when there's little or nothing you can really do to help.

sdBev

Dl
I retired some 10 years ago, about the time SG fired up and came on-line.  Even then some of the old hands were retiring.  Many more planned to retire a few years thereafter. We think of computers as the young mans game. In truth, the old hands are being replaced by young gamers who don't have the experience or motivation.  One of the last all nighters I pulled stunned the younger members of the staff.  They couldnt believe anyone would keep at it that long. Whereas my professional attitude is that you keep at it until the problem is solved and then you monitor it for a long while so you can leap on the first sign of recurrence.
Feeling so good, the oncologist has started me on a 2nd round of chemo. Updates on my site.  Www.sdbev.wordpress.com

DragonLady

Quote from: sdBev on January 02, 2018, 07:09:24 am
Dl
I retired some 10 years ago, about the time SG fired up and came on-line.  Even then some of the old hands were retiring.  Many more planned to retire a few years thereafter. We think of computers as the young mans game. In truth, the old hands are being replaced by young gamers who don't have the experience or motivation.  One of the last all nighters I pulled stunned the younger members of the staff.  They couldnt believe anyone would keep at it that long. Whereas my professional attitude is that you keep at it until the problem is solved and then you monitor it for a long while so you can leap on the first sign of recurrence.

Yep.  I can't count the number of all-nighters I've pulled here.  Although I've no proof, I'm pretty convinced most of the reason we have so many issues here is because the staff at our hosting company doesn't hold the "old guard" opinion of staying until the problem is solved.  I really doubt most hosting companies from here on will hold that position, just as most gas stations don't believe customers should stay in their cars while a professional pumps their gas, and most grocery stores want to switch to a "self checkout" model of some kind. 

It makes sense: the more of the work the customer does for themselves, the less overhead a company has.

Diane in WV

Quote from: DragonLady on January 02, 2018, 06:41:30 pm
Dl

Yep.  I can't count the number of all-nighters I've pulled here.  Although I've no proof, I'm pretty convinced most of the reason we have so many issues here is because the staff at our hosting company doesn't hold the "old guard" opinion of staying until the problem is solved.  I really doubt most hosting companies from here on will hold that position, just as most gas stations don't believe customers should stay in their cars while a professional pumps their gas, and most grocery stores want to switch to a "self checkout" model of some kind. 

It makes sense: the more of the work the customer does for themselves, the less overhead a company has.
And the more chance of stealing. I've read, here or somewhere, that stealing at self checkout at the grocery store is common, even with somebody there watching.
Plumbers don't believe in rushing right to your house either.
Let's talk about math

sdBev

Quote from: Diane in WV on January 02, 2018, 09:59:37 pm
Quote from: DragonLady on January 02, 2018, 06:41:30 pm
Dl

And the more chance of stealing. I've read, here or somewhere, that stealing at self checkout at the grocery store is common, even with somebody there watching.
Plumbers don't believe in rushing right to your house either.

Sigh, we seem to have lost pride in our personal workmanship. I can understand how and why, but I regret that we no longer say proudly I am ___ and do my best possible because my work prooves I am best at ____
Feeling so good, the oncologist has started me on a 2nd round of chemo. Updates on my site.  Www.sdbev.wordpress.com

Diane in WV

DS has been living in a hotel, waiting, for the plumber to say when he'll show (he hasn't), then DH will go there and babysit the house taking care of the plumber, if DS is at work.  HOPEFULLY...snow won't prevent the plumber or DH getting to the house (it's an hour from us).
Let's talk about math