Author Topic: The future of SG  (Read 44311 times)

Offline Saashka

• Subscribed Member
  • sewing in southern Maryland
Re: The future of SG
« Reply #420 on: January 05, 2018, 11:45:03 PM »
Good job, Diane, that was funny!

Offline Diane in WV

« Reply #421 on: January 05, 2018, 11:48:00 PM »
How many forum members does it takes to decide whether they like or not like like/thumbs up buttons?

1 to start the conversation
14 to share similar experiences of changing from the way it is to the buttons and how the idea could have been changed differently
7 to caution about the dangers of changing to thumbs up buttons

1 to move it to the buttons up/or not section
2 to argue then move it to the buttons up/or not section
7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing the way we say we like something
5 to flame the spell checkers
3 to correct spelling/grammar flames
6 to argue over whether it's "buttons up/or not" or "buttons up or not" ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid
2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "thumbs up or down"
15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "thumbs up" is perfectly correct
19 to post that this forum is not about thumbs or complements and to please take this discussion to a I Like your stuff forum
11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use complements and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum
36 to debate which method of changing how to say complements is superior, where to get the best ideas for complements so they are not all 'me too', what type of complements work best for this forum and what types are faulty
7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different ways to complement
4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's
3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes thumbs up buttons relevant to this group
13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"
5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the thumbs up controversy
4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"
13 to say "do a Google search on thumbs up/complements before posting questions about them"
1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.
and I to post silly nonsense about thumbs up controversy.

and one to snort tomato bisque soup.
Let's talk about math

Offline Garden Girl

• Subscribed Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #422 on: January 05, 2018, 11:56:24 PM »

Darn it! Where is that blasted like button!

Offline Diane in WV

« Reply #423 on: January 06, 2018, 12:26:42 AM »

Darn it! Where is that blasted like button!
I'm going to be sent to the corner for starting trouble, arn't I?
Let's talk about math

Offline peggyjo

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #424 on: January 06, 2018, 12:42:31 AM »
How many forum members does it takes to decide whether they like or not like like/thumbs up buttons?

????????????

Offline SuziQz

« Reply #425 on: January 06, 2018, 01:12:29 AM »
Diane,

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #426 on: January 06, 2018, 01:58:12 AM »
...I'm going to be sent to the corner for starting trouble, arn't I?
Absolutely and we are going to whip you with a wet noodle for good meaaure. ;D
sdBev
sdBev.wordpress.com

Offline Debbie S

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #427 on: January 06, 2018, 02:26:14 AM »
Diane, hilarious ????????????????

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
« Reply #428 on: January 06, 2018, 05:19:19 AM »
I'm going to be sent to the corner for starting trouble, arn't I? 

Don't worry, you'll have a lot of company there!
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Offline KarenDee

• Subscribed Member
  • SIgnal Mountain, Tn.
« Reply #429 on: January 06, 2018, 05:41:15 AM »
Diane ;D ;D ;D!

celia, so glad you and others have decided to sign up.

Debby, thanks for the support.

I personality enjoy the compliments others receive.

Karendee

Offline Linda75142

• Subscribed Member
    • Seams Well - my blog
« Reply #430 on: January 06, 2018, 01:11:42 PM »

1 to start the conversation
14 to share similar experiences of changing from the way it is to the buttons and how the idea could have been changed differently
7 to caution about the dangers of changing to thumbs up buttons

1 to move it to the buttons up/or not section
2 to argue then move it to the buttons up/or not section
7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing the way we say we like something
5 to flame the spell checkers
3 to correct spelling/grammar flames
6 to argue over whether it's "buttons up/or not" or "buttons up or not" ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid
2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "thumbs up or down"
15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "thumbs up" is perfectly correct
19 to post that this forum is not about thumbs or complements and to please take this discussion to a I Like your stuff forum
11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use complements and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum
36 to debate which method of changing how to say complements is superior, where to get the best ideas for complements so they are not all 'me too', what type of complements work best for this forum and what types are faulty
7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different ways to complement
4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's
3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes thumbs up buttons relevant to this group
13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"
5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the thumbs up controversy
4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"
13 to say "do a Google search on thumbs up/complements before posting questions about them"
1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.
and I to post silly nonsense about thumbs up controversy.

;D Got to go

And

I was thinking something similar, but you said it so much better!  I'm for keeping things simple.  ;D

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #431 on: January 06, 2018, 07:54:05 PM »
I'm rather neutral regarding buttons and such. However, I admit I like a compliment when I make something since it helps me to know when something really does work for me. It was nice that someone other than Mr MC thought what I wore last night looked good since when I wear some of the more layered looser clothes I'm always aware that it can look clownish on my small frame if the proportions aren't right. It's not easy to be objective about yourself plus the mirror lies while the photograph does not.

Often compliments on sewing sites are accompanied with other helpful comments.

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #432 on: January 06, 2018, 08:01:11 PM »
.... plus the mirror lies while the photograph does not
Aint that the truth! Although I think the camera magnifies too, making a drag line look worse than it really does.  In the end I tell myself, as soon a a body moves around, the cloth has to follow and it will develop lines in the direction of travel.
sdBev
sdBev.wordpress.com

Offline Diane in WV

« Reply #433 on: January 08, 2018, 07:25:39 PM »
 I assume everybody knows, but just in case they don't... I did NOT make that up, I just searched, found one of those 'light bulb' stories, then changed everything light bulb to buttons up/or not. Well, all but the last one...

"and I to post silly nonsense about thumbs up controversy."
That was me, and the author of one other is GardenGirl Rene

"and one to snort tomato bisque soup"
  Reminds me kind of, of what I just have been reading about, you can buy reports and send them to school as your own, kind of. So, I guess I should get an F (if this was school) for plagiarizing, and maybe , stay after school for a week, only...All schools in West Virginia, are closed. DS is happy...he's a teacher (I"m sure his students are happy too, as well as all students in WV, LOL). DS is staying in a hotel, waiting for a call from a plumber to fix busted pipes due to freezing. Good thing he doesn't have any animals to take care of.
Let's talk about math

Offline Judith

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #434 on: January 08, 2018, 07:40:43 PM »
Diane, thank you for adapting that for SG. It was a good laugh. And thank you for clarifying that you were not the original author.

I find myself getting so annoyed when I read a post at SG and recognize that I read the exact same thing in the morning newspaper. It’s not that I’m opposed to sharing the article, but I’m super opposed to not fessing up that they are quoting someone else’s writing, with the impression that it’s original

Can’t tell you how many times i’ve wanted to send someone a pm about that.

But this is the new, more tolerant me ....... for now.

People are generally as happy as they allow themselves to be. Abraham Lincoln

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #435 on: January 08, 2018, 08:06:21 PM »
I find myself getting so annoyed when I read a post at SG and recognize that I read the exact same thing in the morning newspaper.

While I realize that's the nature of the internet in general, I personally would appreciate it if our members would cite the source if they're quoting someone else.

The road to our success is always under construction.
If you should have any trouble with any aspect of the forums, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

======================

Buy a Subscription Now to participate in all of our great discussions! Less than .75¢ per week for all-you-can-eat access. :)

Gift Subscriptions are available, too; just message me for assistance anytime.

======================

Check out my Etsy shop for gorgeous buttons & other craft supplies:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

Offline Diane in WV

« Reply #436 on: January 08, 2018, 08:12:11 PM »
Diane, thank you for adapting that for SG. It was a good laugh. And thank you for clarifying that you were not the original author.

I find myself getting so annoyed when I read a post at SG and recognize that I read the exact same thing in the morning newspaper. It’s not that I’m opposed to sharing the article, but I’m super opposed to not fessing up that they are quoting someone else’s writing, with the impression that it’s original

Can’t tell you how many times i’ve wanted to send someone a pm about that.

But this is the new, more tolerant me ....... for now.
  I was not aware that that was done, I do sometimes say something about the weather, that I read.
 You've never heard of the light bulb controversy?

Here read some more, they are funny

http://www.lightbulbjokes.com/directory/a.html

http://www.lightbulbjokes.com/directory/s.html

I'm sure there's more out there. if You are stuck in the house, due to weather (or inability to change light bulbs...sorry, I just had to add that for fun), then this is fun reading...there is a CAT staring at me wanting in, ugh, this weather is driving them crazy.

note: I think I got my light bulb somewhere else, those are short, just search and you can find more...how many does take to search for light bulbs? (I just HAD to add that).
  The cat is looking toward the weather (he's on the covered porch outside my window, and then looks at me...in cat language, he is saying, 'excuse me , you are in a warm house, LET ME IN" )...we will, when it gets to a certain temperature,as we will be overrun with cats, one is in (THE house cat, and the frail one is in the bathroom...three are outside...wanting in.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 08:18:20 PM by Diane in WV »
Let's talk about math

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #437 on: January 08, 2018, 08:23:15 PM »
I really wasn't referring to jokes and such -I know those are passed 'round like candy, and I doubt anyone even usually knows the original source for most of them.

I was talking about things like newspaper articles or information copied from books and such. 

If you should have any trouble with any aspect of the forums, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

======================

Buy a Subscription Now to participate in all of our great discussions! Less than .75¢ per week for all-you-can-eat access. :)

======================

Offline Diane in WV

« Reply #438 on: January 08, 2018, 09:22:53 PM »
DragonLady, if you mean me, I do try, I might forget, but I try. If you mean other people, I haven't paid attention, so it probably goes right over my head.
Let's talk about math

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #439 on: January 08, 2018, 09:32:08 PM »
DragonLady, if you mean me, I do try, I might forget, but I try. If you mean other people, I haven't paid attention, so it probably goes right over my head.

Not referring to any particular individual.

We have had a couple over the years that tended to copy-n-paste stuff without attribution, but we haven't had any real issues with it for a long time.

======================

======================

Offline Diane in WV

« Reply #440 on: January 08, 2018, 10:10:39 PM »
Probably why I don't remember.
Let's talk about math

Offline Diane in WV

« Reply #441 on: January 08, 2018, 10:11:58 PM »
Which reminds me...we haven't had any TROLLS for awhile, have we? I wonder what happened to them? Not that I miss them, I don't really.
Let's talk about math

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #442 on: January 09, 2018, 08:45:54 PM »
I have purchased a new hosting account. :)

Over the next few days I'll continue cleaning closets, and I'll be boxing us up, ready to move to our shiny new digs. 

I don't anticipate any issues, and I'll keep everyone informed as I go.

Of course, when it's time to do the actual move, SG will have to be turned "off" for a few hours, but should be back online -probably the next day- with little or no data loss.

If all goes well, a bunch of stuff that hasn't worked for a while will be back in action, and we can say "goodbye" to a whole bunch of small headaches all at once. :)

======================

======================

Offline kowgiirl.up

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #443 on: January 09, 2018, 09:55:07 PM »

Over the next few days I'll continue cleaning closets, and I'll be boxing us up, ready to move to our shiny new digs.

Yay!!
Theresa

Runs with scissors

Offline andib

• O/T Politics
« Reply #444 on: January 09, 2018, 09:56:25 PM »
Do you have a plan for how SG will be accessed?  I'm thinking specifically,  if we want to attract new members, how do they get to see what SG is all about b4 they decide to pay for membership?

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #445 on: January 09, 2018, 10:14:06 PM »
Do you have a plan for how SG will be accessed?  I'm thinking specifically,  if we want to attract new members, how do they get to see what SG is all about b4 they decide to pay for membership?

I have options, but haven't made any hard or fast decisions yet.  To me, the first priority is making sure everything works.

======================

======================

Offline Diane in WV

« Reply #446 on: January 09, 2018, 10:51:30 PM »
You are moving physically or virtually? 
Let's talk about math

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #447 on: January 10, 2018, 12:58:24 AM »

Yay!!
Thumbs up. Thumbs up.
sdBev
sdBev.wordpress.com

Offline peggyjo

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #448 on: January 10, 2018, 02:30:09 AM »

????????????

Offline Debbie S

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #449 on: January 10, 2018, 04:06:54 AM »

Progress takes time, but let’s celebrate progress!!!

Offline KarenDee

• Subscribed Member
  • SIgnal Mountain, Tn.
« Reply #450 on: January 10, 2018, 04:44:57 AM »
Fantastic, Dragon Lady!

Karendee

Offline sewsy

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #451 on: January 10, 2018, 12:26:20 PM »
Thanks for everything you do for us DL. Good luck with the move.

Offline Debby

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #452 on: January 10, 2018, 01:06:00 PM »
This is very exciting!  Thank you for persevering, DL.

Offline srna

• O/T Politics
« Reply #453 on: January 12, 2018, 03:25:49 PM »
So... when the migration is complete, is that when only paid members will have access?  I've changed my mind over and over again whether to subscribe, for a long list of reasons.  I just hadn't seen anything definitive as to when the change will actually be implemented (other than the goal of January 1, which DL had said was ambitious).

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #454 on: January 12, 2018, 03:30:47 PM »
So... when the migration is complete, is that when only paid members will have access?  I've changed my mind over and over again whether to subscribe, for a long list of reasons.  I just hadn't seen anything definitive as to when the change will actually be implemented (other than the goal of January 1, which DL had said was ambitious).

I don't have a particular milestone for when, exactly, that change will take place.  It's a matter of making small changes, making sure everything works, making backups, then making more small changes...so it's a work in progress.

That said, I sincerely do hope everyone will choose to stay with us.  This change to a subscription model is not to punish anyone, or to cause anyone hardship.  Rather, it's simply a necessary step to be able to continue. 

======================

======================