Author Topic: The future of SG  (Read 44326 times)

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
Re: The future of SG
« Reply #385 on: January 03, 2018, 05:07:43 AM »
if anybody knows how to fix it,

I use Thunderbird, and it comes with a really good spam filter.  Marking something as "junk" a few times seems to ease the problem for months at a time.
What is Thunderbird? Do you buy it in the store, or free/or buy on line?

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/
The road to our success is always under construction.
If you should have any trouble with any aspect of the forums, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

======================

Buy a Subscription Now to participate in all of our great discussions! Less than .75¢ per week for all-you-can-eat access. :)

Gift Subscriptions are available, too; just message me for assistance anytime.

======================

Check out my Etsy shop for gorgeous buttons & other craft supplies:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

Offline Syndi

• Subscribed Member
"Paid Member"
« Reply #386 on: January 03, 2018, 11:23:20 PM »
I've just noticed this on some members avatar.  What is this?

Offline Garden Girl

• Subscribed Member
  • Middle California
Re: "Paid Member"
« Reply #387 on: January 03, 2018, 11:27:43 PM »
I've just noticed this on some members avatar.  What is this?

Syndi, you'd best read this thread in Site News & Announcements. Very soon SG is changing to a subscription model. Paid Member denotes the members who are thus far subscribed.

It's all explained in that other thread.

Rene

Offline Syndi

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #388 on: January 04, 2018, 12:21:36 AM »
thanks Rene.....I did contribute this summer, but I wasn't sure what the note on the avatar meant.

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #389 on: January 04, 2018, 04:39:34 AM »
thanks Rene.....I did contribute this summer, but I wasn't sure what the note on the avatar meant.
It is confirmation that you have paid.  Dl has stated that if you made a donation in 2017 she will credit you with 2018 paid subscription.  She hasnt been able to match some donors with usernames/email.  So if you made a  donation earlier,  send DL a pm. 
sdBev
sdBev.wordpress.com

Offline SheriC

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #390 on: January 04, 2018, 03:14:59 PM »
For the last three years everyone here has had the opporunity to help prevent this turn of events, but very few did.

Now, I'm done defending my decision to move forward.

For those that are unhappy with the situation, you can always start your own forum and deal with what DL deals with on a daily basis.   If you create one, I'll subscribe and see how it goes.

I am happy to be a paying customer.  I have been donating for the past years, but those of us who did couldn't carry it for all the ones who could not or did not contribute (and I'm making no judgments about whether you did or did not).  At this point, the way I look at it, you pay your money, you take your chances.  May work well, may not.  Nothing in this life is guaranteed.

This message is why I like to use like/thumbs up buttons.  I agree with the message and feel no need to do exactly what I'm doing here. 

I never thought of the like button as a competition for the writers of a post.  I always thought it was for the content of the post.  But this shows why online posting is complicated by misunderstandings. We all see something different when reading messages.

Offline Pina

« Reply #391 on: January 04, 2018, 04:39:43 PM »
SheriC,when the "like" button started on another forum it seemed like a competion who can collect the most- "likes". I'm not kidding. Quite often I wondered why very good information received no stars or maybe 2. And I wondered why other comments received,(and still do),many "likes".I assume people are friends with the OP.  ;)

Offline sewvt

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #392 on: January 04, 2018, 05:00:47 PM »
OK, this is a genuine question.  I'm not trying to be snarky or sarcastic or anything negative.  I need to be educated...

What is the value of the "like" buttons?  I'm not on Facebook.  On Ravelry, there are agree/disagree buttons (the intent of which seems clearer to me than "like").  Either way, I find I don't look at them since I'm interested mostly in the content of the message itself.  They do start some controversies regarding someone's agreement or disagreement, sometimes totally derailing the topic itself.   ???

Offline Judith

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #393 on: January 04, 2018, 06:18:14 PM »
From my limited perspective, like buttons are an easy way to say “I agree and have nothing more to add”

I understand, though, that they can result in problems that outweigh their benefit
People are generally as happy as they allow themselves to be. Abraham Lincoln

Offline vtmartha

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #394 on: January 04, 2018, 06:26:02 PM »
As Judith said but also from the numerous specialized FB groups I follow, ‘that looks delicious, I might try that myself’, ‘what an incredible garment you’ve made’, ‘good work! You’re doing great’, or ‘thank you for sharing those knitting tips’.  Maybe this group is too small for that kind of communication.

Offline Syndi

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #395 on: January 04, 2018, 08:19:12 PM »
Hi Bev- I sent her an email, but perhaps a pm is better.  My understanding is that a paid subscription is $35- when I made my donation, I based it loosely on PR's member subscription- $30
Truthfully, as much as I love SG, I'm reluctant to pay a full member fee until the new site has been up and running for awhile, to make sure there are no bugs.  Also, there are more incentives on PR to become a member.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 09:11:48 PM by Syndi »

Offline vtmartha

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #396 on: January 04, 2018, 08:29:47 PM »
Truthfully, as much as I love SG, I'm reluctant to pay a full member fee until the new site has been up and running for awhile, to make sure there are no bugs.  Also, there are more incentives on PR to become a member.

I agree it’s a bit of a risk but, if there weren’t those willing to take that risk, there would be no risk at all.  And consequently no SG.

Offline Syndi

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #397 on: January 04, 2018, 09:07:28 PM »

I agree it’s a bit of a risk but, if there weren’t those willing to take that risk, there would be no risk at all.  And consequently no SG.
I just can't get myself to join in hopes that it will all work out. It's like asking me to buy a broken down Ferrari in hopes that the mechanic can get it to run.  He has great confidence that he can and promises that he will, but can't be sure how long it will take, and can't give any promises that you won't experiences some headaches along the way.  ::) 
Don't get me wrong....I love this site and all the members.  I have been here a long time and have received invaluable help in my sewing projects.  PR is an established site with many incentives and costs a bit less to be a member.  I've also been able to post on some threads without being a paid member.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 09:10:32 PM by Syndi »

Offline Pina

« Reply #398 on: January 04, 2018, 09:30:19 PM »
Mods,can this topic please be moved  to the existing topic in Announcements ? - The Future of SG.

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
« Reply #399 on: January 04, 2018, 10:13:33 PM »
It is confirmation that you have paid.  Dl has stated that if you made a donation in 2017 she will credit you with 2018 paid subscription.  She hasnt been able to match some donors with usernames/email.  So if you made a  donation earlier,  send DL a pm.
Hi Bev- I sent her an email, but perhaps a pm is better.  My understanding is that a paid subscription is $35- when I made my donation, I based it loosely on PR's member subscription- $30

Syndi,

See DL's post "here." 

Since you made a contribution/donation before she announced that she would credit contributions/donations made in 2017 with a subscription in 2018, your contribution--even though it was less than $35--is sufficient to get you a subscription for 2018. 

If you (or others who made donations in 2017 before the subscription system for 2018 was announced) haven't been credited with a 2018 subscription, please contact DL to get your contribution identified with your username here at SG.

HTH,

Lisa

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
« Reply #400 on: January 04, 2018, 10:14:49 PM »
Mods,can this topic please be moved  to the existing topic in Announcements ? - The Future of SG.

Yes, but I want to make sure anyone who's been following this thread understands how previous contributions (in 2017) are related to subscriptions in 2018.  We'll move this in a couple of days...

Thanks!

Lisa

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #401 on: January 04, 2018, 10:29:01 PM »
Syndi
Each person has to decide for themselves.  There are sveral people I will miss,  but they can come back anytime.
sdBev
sdBev.wordpress.com

Offline Judith

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #402 on: January 04, 2018, 11:28:42 PM »

I know this is straying off topic, but vtmartha’s post is excellent. I wish it could be programmed every time someone wonders out loud if this experience is worth $3/ month based on one significant problem in all these years

Judith

Offline Syndi

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #403 on: January 04, 2018, 11:39:55 PM »
Bev & Judith, I'm sorry.....didn't mean to upset anyone.  As Bev said, each person needs to decide for themselves, and yes, Judith, we really have had a system that has run well 90% of the time.
Please don't misunderstand....I love SG and I love all the wonderful members that I have been friends with the 10 years I have been here.  I would be sad not to have communication with my friends here....you have all been supportive and extremely helpful in many sewing and non-sewing situations.   :-*
Peace & Love
Syndi
PS- thank you Lisa for the info

Offline vtmartha

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #404 on: January 05, 2018, 12:19:33 AM »
No offense taken here and Bev is spot on but I got a laugh from your analogy.  Many years ago, when I was a poor grad student, my husband at the time and I decided to purchase two beat up Ferrari’s.  One was kinda nice until we got caught in a flash flood in a Houston underpass but the other was a smoking mess.  I’m quite certain no money was made by us on the deal but I learned a lot about car repair, like how to use a torque wrench, and had the experience of owning and driving a Ferrari (or two).

Offline KarenDee

• Subscribed Member
  • SIgnal Mountain, Tn.
« Reply #405 on: January 05, 2018, 05:08:36 AM »
Syndi, of course which or how many sewing sites is your decision, but dont expect PR to discuss a vegan menu with you for a holiday, trouble with your payment schedule at work, teaching co-hort problems, or step by step help on making a ruffle flounce or lace/velvet trim. Certainly not meant in an unkind manner, but SG is a place that you have a voice and it will be heard on a myriad of topics. PR not so much so. Anyway, this is my opinion.

Karendee

Offline Celia

« Reply #406 on: January 05, 2018, 08:24:19 AM »
I must admit I have been sitting on the fence too. I know I am not a big part of this group but I do enjoy the on line contact, it is lovely to know you are not alone in the world with such diverse hobbies etc.
I also love the invite it gives into how people live and craft in other countries.
I have recently noticed that a lot of the people I regularly enjoy reading are paid members and have now decided to join too.  I will do this as soon as I can get to my proper computer.

I think I am willing to gable this years subs to see how it goes and to say thank you for the previous years.

I have wanted to donate before but have had problems from the UK so lets hope this works better

Offline Meg

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #407 on: January 05, 2018, 10:46:34 AM »
My view is that SG/we will have a far better chance at a positive future using the subscription model than not.  I am willing to join the effort mostly because none of my IRL friends don't sew and only equate needles with blood.  You are my stitching community, so I'm in.  And I will be understanding of those who choose otherwise.

Offline Debbie S

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #408 on: January 05, 2018, 01:33:10 PM »
KarenDee, Thank you, my feelings exactly!  SG is home, where we (except for the trolls) care about and support each other.  I cannot think of another site that provides the varied wealth of information that I receive here.

Offline sewvt

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #409 on: January 05, 2018, 02:01:39 PM »
Ah - I hadn't thought about that part.  Long series of posts that all essentially say "good job" or something similar aren't as interesting to read over and over again, unless, maybe, addressed to oneself!   ;D  OK, now I understand "like" buttons better.  Thank you!

Offline Judith

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #410 on: January 05, 2018, 03:27:35 PM »
But it really isn’t a hardship to just scroll through those “attaboy” comments, so it doesn’t seem worth the bother to add the buttons

Offline Elephun

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #411 on: January 05, 2018, 06:03:04 PM »
I’m glad you’ll be staying, Celia!

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #412 on: January 05, 2018, 06:35:33 PM »
My problem with all the “me too” and atta boy posts is that I will know there will be a slew of them and so I skip reading that thread.  Later I find that I missed something important. :-X
sdBev
sdBev.wordpress.com

Offline Garden Girl

• Subscribed Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #413 on: January 05, 2018, 07:34:33 PM »
My problem with all the “me too” and atta boy posts is that I will know there will be a slew of them and so I skip reading that thread.  Later I find that I missed something important. :-X

This is such a prime example of where a "like" or "I agree" button would be useful. Sure, there can be a bit of popularity coming into play, in that your online Peeps are more likely to read your posts and since they are your Peeps there is a good chance they will agree with you, so...click.

I do like the set up at Ravelry, where you can choose agree, disagree, love, funny, interesting or educational and it's anonymous.  I don't like the way it works at The Sewing Place, where it says at the bottom of the post who clicked like. It works for them, as they are pretty much on track and don't allow political or potentially contentious topics, as best I understand it. I can see how at a site like SG, where we don't shy away from controversy, showing who liked a post could be a very bad thing.

Just one members opinion.

Offline Saashka

• Subscribed Member
  • sewing in southern Maryland
« Reply #414 on: January 05, 2018, 10:23:52 PM »
Hmm, I like reading the atta girl posts because many people here have lovely ways of complimenting others and I try to learn from them (long way to go still).

Offline Garden Girl

• Subscribed Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #415 on: January 05, 2018, 10:37:57 PM »
Hmm, I like reading the atta girl posts because many people here have lovely ways of complimenting others and I try to learn from them (long way to go still).
...and I would have "liked" this post too.  ;) There are some lovely compliments. Maybe, when I'm having a "down" day, I should post photos of something I've made. I would certainly get lifted up. First, I'll need to get a decent camera....

Offline Diane in WV

« Reply #416 on: January 05, 2018, 10:58:52 PM »
How many forum members does it takes to decide whether they like or not like like/thumbs up buttons?

1 to start the conversation
14 to share similar experiences of changing from the way it is to the buttons and how the idea could have been changed differently
7 to caution about the dangers of changing to thumbs up buttons

1 to move it to the buttons up/or not section
2 to argue then move it to the buttons up/or not section
7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing the way we say we like something
5 to flame the spell checkers
3 to correct spelling/grammar flames
6 to argue over whether it's "buttons up/or not" or "buttons up or not" ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid
2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "thumbs up or down"
15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "thumbs up" is perfectly correct
19 to post that this forum is not about thumbs or complements and to please take this discussion to a I Like your stuff forum
11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use complements and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum
36 to debate which method of changing how to say complements is superior, where to get the best ideas for complements so they are not all 'me too', what type of complements work best for this forum and what types are faulty
7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different ways to complement
4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's
3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes thumbs up buttons relevant to this group
13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"
5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the thumbs up controversy
4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"
13 to say "do a Google search on thumbs up/complements before posting questions about them"
1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.
and I to post silly nonsense about thumbs up controversy.

;D Got to go

And
Let's talk about math

Offline Lisanne

• Subscribed Member
  • southern England
« Reply #417 on: January 05, 2018, 11:15:49 PM »
Thank you Diane - you had me giggling out loud  ;D
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Offline Garden Girl

• Subscribed Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #418 on: January 05, 2018, 11:16:40 PM »
Thanks Diane. I just snorted tomato bisque soup.

That is 1) hilarious
          B) so on the money.

Offline Bookish

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #419 on: January 05, 2018, 11:25:29 PM »

Bravo Diane!  Fortunately I had put down my tea cup.  ;D ;D