Author Topic: The future of SG  (Read 44318 times)

Offline sewvt

• Subscribed Member
Re: The future of SG
« Reply #315 on: December 30, 2017, 02:29:59 PM »
Saw your message this morning DL and have replied.  Thank you!

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #316 on: December 30, 2017, 03:44:02 PM »
DL, sorry to put this here.  I've tried to PM you several times.  No messages to you show up in my sent file, although pms to others are there.  Did any of them get through to you?

thanks!

I have the same problem, and will also email you.

I've received your email, and you're ready to go.

I'll have to investigate the issue of lost messages, though.
The road to our success is always under construction.
If you should have any trouble with any aspect of the forums, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

======================

Buy a Subscription Now to participate in all of our great discussions! Less than .75¢ per week for all-you-can-eat access. :)

Gift Subscriptions are available, too; just message me for assistance anytime.

======================

Check out my Etsy shop for gorgeous buttons & other craft supplies:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

Offline Terri B

• O/T Politics
« Reply #317 on: December 30, 2017, 07:12:53 PM »
I joined Sewing World back in the mid 90's as a new quilter looking for information on sewing machines. The quilting forum there was very active, and I learned a lot from the more experienced folks. I joined a group called the Blockheads, and we did block exchanges and challenges. When Sewing World went MIA I eventually found my way here. None of my Blockhead buddies did. There were other people here that I met on Sewing World through the political topics and I became a participant in the "Porch". I had hoped that the quilting forum here would be as active as the one on Sewing World, but that never came to pass. When SG crashed it took me months to find my way back. I suspect that a lot of other people gave up trying to find it and never came back. I don't participate in the quilting forum anymore because there just isn't anything new or interesting to me at my current level of expertise. I have offered lots of advise and answered many questions there over the years, but honestly after awhile I felt like I was repeating myself over and over again. The "Porch" is really the only thing I follow semi regularly. That leaves me undecided on whether or not the subscription fee is worth following one thread.

DL you have done an amazing job keeping this site running with no resources. I supported paid subscriptions when the topic came up several years ago, and the board was still humming with activity. Unfortunately the majority did not agree. Obviously the honor system of contributions has not worked. I have always felt it was unfair to expect you to run this board on nothing but atta boys.  ::) Anyway, you have my thanks for keeping this going for as long as you have. I'll have to think about being a subscribing member. If I choose not to subscribe for now I hope you will leave a light on for me so I can find my way back if I change my mind. Best of luck to you!

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #318 on: December 30, 2017, 07:31:37 PM »
I fully understand, Terri B.

I promise to do my absolute best to make sure SG is still here for everyone. 

Change is inevitable, but we can all do our part to make it wonderful, too. :)
If you should have any trouble with any aspect of the forums, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

======================

Buy a Subscription Now to participate in all of our great discussions! Less than .75¢ per week for all-you-can-eat access. :)

======================

Offline daisy

« Reply #319 on: December 30, 2017, 09:24:27 PM »
DragonLady, I am glad to see that you have decided to go to a subscription model.  I don't know for sure, but I can imagine, the work that you have put in to keeping this forum running.  You should get paid for that.  I have always had that opinion.  I never liked the voluntary contribution model because I didn't think it was fair to you and I was pretty sure it wouldn't work.  I have not contributed much in money or content but I thought the subscription fee was the way to go.  I wish you and this forum the best of luck.  I will not become a subscriber, however.  For me, there is just not enough content to warrant the fee.  I know many others participate much more than me and enjoy the SWAP and other discussions.  I'm sure this forum will go on and be successful and be worth the time and energy you put into it.  I've enjoyed my time here and I thank you for all your work in keeping it going.  For what it's worth, I think you are making the right decision and I support you, even though I won't be participating.  In my opinion, the voluntary contribution route was never going to be successful.  If it's worth it to someone, they will pay for it.  And if they don't see value in it, they won't.  And I'm sure it will be worth it to many here.  Best wishes for great success of this forum in the future!

Offline jlsewsew

• Subscribed Member
  • New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #320 on: December 31, 2017, 01:58:06 PM »
I just sent my $35 payment and feel I am getting a GREAT VALUE for a reasonable fee. Now, all I need to do is actually SEW SOMETHING after all this inspiration :-)
Jeannine in Iowa

Offline Judith

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #321 on: December 31, 2017, 02:34:29 PM »
Hmmm people comment that they won’t be subscribing because there isn’t enough “content” for $35/year. But that “content” can only cone from participation. It’s not as if the sewing fairies are going to sprinkle the site with tutorials and words of wisdom. Kind of a conundrum isn’t it?

As a garment sewer turned quilter, I also wish the quilting topic was more active. That will happen, I think, when photos are easier to post and apparently that’s something that will come in the future. Similarly, other topics will I’m sure cone forward and I’m looking forward

Judith
People are generally as happy as they allow themselves to be. Abraham Lincoln

Offline Debbie S

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #322 on: December 31, 2017, 03:06:16 PM »
jlsewsew, welcome to SG!  I have been a member for several years and have certainly benefited from the wonderful SG participants. 

I live in NW Missouri, so we are both enjoying the frigid weather.

Offline Casharp

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #323 on: December 31, 2017, 03:32:03 PM »
It’s not as if the sewing fairies are going to sprinkle the site with tutorials and words of wisdom. Kind of a conundrum isn’t it?

Judith

Wait, no sewing fairies?!? Can we add a premium subscription level that has those? They would really come in handy for me!  ;)

Just a joke, Happy New Year everyone!

Cheryl

Offline Debbie S

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #324 on: December 31, 2017, 03:37:05 PM »
Judith, well said and thank you! 

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #325 on: December 31, 2017, 04:47:26 PM »
Someone asked me if there's still a chance to merge this database & the information in it to the SG Classic version.  Here's my response:

I don't know.  There are people who are able to merge huge databases, but it's usually done when the data sets are more similar.  Say: adding financial transactions from one branch of a company to the transactions of a different branch, to end up with one full set of numbers.

When I "reloaded" the site, I intended it to be temporary -just to get us back online, and working.  I asked everyone to re-register using the same name and other information they'd used before, so once we had the bugs out of this one we could merge the two -add all of Sharky's new posts to her old list of posts, and have one data set.  But...it didn't work that way.   Lots of people chose new names, several people opened multiple accounts, etc, so the data won't match up.  Computers can't even match "sue" with "Sue", so it's not a simple process.  The more new people we get, the more people change email addresses and passwords and such, the more disparate the data becomes.

But, there are people who do it.  If I ever have the $$$ to seriously pursue it, I might be able to at least try.  Nothing would make me happier than having everything  back in one piece!

======================

======================

Offline vtmartha

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #326 on: December 31, 2017, 05:30:55 PM »
If this helps at all, or doesn’t make it more complicated, we probably don’t care so much whether ‘sue’ or ‘Sue’ wrote the post as we do about the content.  It may be that if the threads were more accessible, people would begin to recognize who posted and it could slowly be pieced back together.

Offline Mfedna

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #327 on: December 31, 2017, 05:52:29 PM »
I am in favor of subscription. What we have in SG is access to information, by hundreds of knowledgeable people, to help our skills grow, and maximize our time and enjoyment of sewing. MIne have grown. My knowledge of textile 'behavior' has grown.  And, paying a nominal amount yearly is happening all over; expected, and fair. The work to maintain (restore, anticipate and prevent issues) in any database is 24-7. Not to mention the time in communication we ask of DL. IF you subscribe to a newspaper...will it sometimes have info you don't read? If you get the digital Washington Post is the site sometimes sluggish? This year was the first I was able to pay for what I always knew should require a fee. I 'back paid' for two years and am glad to do so. The content is invaluable. I have a lot to learn. Thank you DL, and Happy New Year.

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #328 on: December 31, 2017, 06:07:58 PM »
If this helps at all, or doesn’t make it more complicated, we probably don’t care so much whether ‘sue’ or ‘Sue’ wrote the post as we do about the content.  It may be that if the threads were more accessible, people would begin to recognize who posted and it could slowly be pieced back together.

I don't think it does help, as the data in the database has to be put in in very specific ways.

I'll give some thought, though, to whether some of it could be lumped under a single "proxy" member name.

======================

======================

Offline peggyjo

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #329 on: December 31, 2017, 06:44:39 PM »
From DragonLady

Someone asked me if there's still a chance to merge this database & the information in it to the SG Classic version.  Here's my response:

I for one am not as concerned that SG Classic be *merged* -- I'm much more interested in having it remain *accessible*. 

The way it is currently, with a special link on the home page to access the classic site, I'm finding it plenty easy to search and find content that way.  Of course it might be nice to search both places at once, but I'm not finding it a hardship at all to either search for specifics or read through an old and loved thread by linking over to the classic site separately.

Offline Mfedna

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #330 on: December 31, 2017, 06:47:17 PM »
Agreed Peggyjo!  DL - did you receive my recent p.m.? The "to" box (with the recipient's name) is sometimes confusing to me, and creates uncertainty.

Offline marciae

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #331 on: December 31, 2017, 06:49:58 PM »
I agree with Peggyjo.  In fact I 'just' bit the bullet and paid for the year as there are a lot of threads that I do access in the old data base.  I will be doing a copy and paste of some of the topics and info that I am interested in.

Offline peggyjo

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #332 on: December 31, 2017, 07:01:19 PM »
I agree with Peggyjo.  In fact I 'just' bit the bullet and paid for the year as there are a lot of threads that I do access in the old data base.  I will be doing a copy and paste of some of the topics and info that I am interested in.

Yay, marciae!  I'm glad to see that you're "in."  Yours are some of the posts on the old site that I like to revisit.  All those pants-fitting adventures...  ;D

Offline Pina

« Reply #333 on: December 31, 2017, 07:31:33 PM »

When I "reloaded" the site................

I never saw anything wrong with clicking on “Home,Sweet Home” !

"Home, Sweet Home....
You may visit the "Classic SG" site here. The boards should all be read-only. You may login to your account if you have one, for the purposes of checking and/or printing your private messages if you wish. However, even if discover you are able to do more, please just don't. No posts. No messages or profile changes. No email updates -pretty much no interaction. You may read the threads, and you may post links from there to here to facilitate the changeover to this board. Any changes -even small ones- to that database will hurt our chances of being able to merge it with this one, so please behave there. http://artisanssquare.com/sg_classic/index.php"

Then looking for an old topic in Classic SG,whether I started the topic or not.  ;)   ;)
Then linking to the Classic SG topic when someone asked questions,or I decided to start a new same or similar topic on Stitcher’s Guild Reloaded.

To show what I’m talking about,(and no one thinks I lost a few more marbles  ;D)........Here in the first post everyone can read......."Classic SG" Fix – It and .......forget-it slow cooker recipes,(8 pages).

In Critique : do I need to make a flat seat adjustment ? Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 02:39:51 PM

I wish everyone a very healthy and happy New Year !
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 07:40:08 PM by Pina »

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #334 on: December 31, 2017, 07:34:13 PM »
If your initials are RM, and you sent me a check recently, please send me a private message so I can add your subscription to your name here.

======================

======================

Offline Garden Girl

• Subscribed Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #335 on: December 31, 2017, 07:46:59 PM »
A quick 2 cents worth, then I gotta go.

First, of course we all see value here, or none of us doing any posting would be here today after the hoops we've all been going through after the site meltdown. And people should be paid for their work.

All we actually have here is community, camaraderie, and content. That's you, and me, and all of us together and individually. Some of you have mentioned not coming here as much due to not much to read of interest, not like in "the good old days", but that's on each of us. If you want scintillating, engaging content that you can sink your teeth into, you need to bring it yourself. Help with some of the heavy lifting around here. Ask yourself what have you contributed in the way of content. Basic truth is if you aren't posting, you're not really part of the community, you're an observer, or a judge, and also you're cheating the rest of us out of getting to know you and what you can bring to the party.

Posting is easy, adding links and photos is very easy to learn and gets easier the more you do them. Start small if you need to. Just post that you like something, or the color is good on someone, or thanks for that link. When your computer doesn't melt go and do another one. Did you know that of our current membership of just under 1100 only a few more than 200 people has posted 12 or more times since the reload in January. When you get into higher posting numbers it declines rapidly and truthfully just a smattering of people are creating the content available. If you want SG to thrive and grow you've simply got to start participating. If not, it doesn't matter how zippy and snazzy DL makes the site itself. A beautiful bowl, left empty, won't feed you. This is a potluck here; did you bring something to share?

Also, there have been quite a few posts that show anger, antagonism or frustration, I'm not totally sure, but it feels like some members are holding on to old grudges or disappointments. Many of these are related to the if and where of the political threads. Granted, they got buried pretty deep, a surprise to everyone. But it is what it is. I implore all of you to let it go. Let go of any rancor you are clinging to, move on and be in the present. If that ugly stuff comes along to the new place it won't be healthy for SG in the long run.

Thanks for considering all of this. Do with it what you will.

Now, for me. I have to take a pass. Don't know if or when that will change in the future. Life throws lemons, I whip up some lemonade. We had am ambulance here at 3 AM. DH is in the ER undergoing tests. In that light, everything here is trivial.

Loved my time here, tried to add substance, ticked a few of you off along the way, it happens,and am proud to have been our first volunteer SWAP Coordinator in 2017.

Rene
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 06:54:49 AM by Garden Girl »

Offline Helen M

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #336 on: December 31, 2017, 07:49:24 PM »
I'll just add my vote to not necessarily having the old SG merged with the current.
Sewing in Cheshire

Offline MaryAnn

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #337 on: December 31, 2017, 07:50:58 PM »
Dear Dragon Lady,
I have sent you a contribution most, if not every, year that that I have been here, including one in April of 2017, but I am not marked as a "paid Member". Please help me understand.
Thank you very much for all you are doing.
MaryAnn

Offline Elephun

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #338 on: December 31, 2017, 08:15:16 PM »
Garden Girl- thank you for your post. You have said some things I've been thinking. I hope things get sorted out quickly for DH and that you are both healthy. I'll miss you around here, I'll see you if you return. And I'll see you around, I'm sure  :)

Offline CarolynB

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #339 on: December 31, 2017, 10:30:18 PM »
DL
I just sent you my subscription via paypal.
Wishing you, the mods and all at SG a happy and healthy New Year
Carolyn B

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #340 on: December 31, 2017, 10:41:42 PM »
DL
I just sent you my subscription via paypal.
Wishing you, the mods and all at SG a happy and healthy New Year
Carolyn B

Yup.  You're all ready to go.

A happy and healthy new year to you, too. :)

Thank-you! :)

======================

======================

Online sewsy

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #341 on: December 31, 2017, 11:40:05 PM »
Rene, I'm so sorry to see that I won't be enjoying your wonderful posts! I'll be praying for you and DH, please know that I'm sending positive thoughts to you both. I'm gonna miss you something terrible dear lady. Be well. Hope that things will get better and better for DH.

Offline Pina

« Reply #342 on: January 01, 2018, 01:14:15 AM »
I posted comments in the "segregated" The Seventh Circle - O/T Politics.

Offline Shannonfax

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #343 on: January 01, 2018, 05:05:15 AM »
Is there any way you can pin your PayPal info somewhere? I just looked through the first page to find it and didn't, and there are now tons of messages to search through.

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #344 on: January 01, 2018, 05:38:20 AM »
Is there any way you can pin your PayPal info somewhere? I just looked through the first page to find it and didn't, and there are now tons of messages to search through.

Sure; I'll add it to the news ticker.  But...if you open your profile, and click the "actions" tab, it will take you to the subscription module.  From there, just follow the prompts, but be sure to leave the box that says "recurring payments" empty -it returns a weird error if you check that.

======================

======================

Offline Linda75142

• Subscribed Member
    • Seams Well - my blog
« Reply #345 on: January 01, 2018, 03:51:25 PM »

Any reason this post is in this thread?

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #346 on: January 01, 2018, 04:32:00 PM »

Pina was talking to GG.

======================

======================

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #347 on: January 01, 2018, 05:34:08 PM »
Weighing in on the content from the old site...

I’d like to access only a few of the old threads and would be happy to have a limited set imported here.  Like Ann’s Pearls of Wisdom
sdBev
sdBev.wordpress.com

Offline Linda75142

• Subscribed Member
    • Seams Well - my blog
« Reply #348 on: January 01, 2018, 05:53:03 PM »

Pina was talking to GG.

Ahh, thank you!  I was confused.  :P

Offline Pina

« Reply #349 on: January 01, 2018, 05:59:54 PM »

Pina was talking to GG.
Julie,thank you very much ! !