Author Topic: The future of SG  (Read 44309 times)

Offline Elephun

• Subscribed Member
Re: The future of SG
« Reply #175 on: December 23, 2017, 08:40:03 PM »
Thanks, DL!

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #176 on: December 23, 2017, 09:10:30 PM »
Just a general FYI regarding PayPal ... it requires an account if you initiate the payment directly but if you are doing a checkout when buying something online (which is what the "order" is when clicking on the link from here) it will let you pay without an account.  In the past they allowed you to initiate a payment without an account but somewhere along the line they stopped ... I don't recall why.

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #177 on: December 23, 2017, 09:47:51 PM »
By the way....

I want to take a moment to say a big "Thank-you" to Kathryn and Lisa, and to Mudcat for her efforts as SWAP Coordinator.

Whatever successes SG has along the way -big or small, the moderators and the members are the very core of this community.

I know I don't say it often enough, but I'm extremely proud of our moderation team, and do want everyone to know it!

The road to our success is always under construction.
If you should have any trouble with any aspect of the forums, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

======================

Buy a Subscription Now to participate in all of our great discussions! Less than .75¢ per week for all-you-can-eat access. :)

Gift Subscriptions are available, too; just message me for assistance anytime.

======================

Check out my Etsy shop for gorgeous buttons & other craft supplies:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #178 on: December 24, 2017, 12:52:07 AM »
Thought I would see if PayPal would let me chose credit card. But when I clicked on PayPal it immediately took me to this error message

Invalid Regular period. You must specify valid values for the A3, P3, and T3 parameters for a subscription.
I get the same error.
sdBev
sdBev.wordpress.com

Offline tazzie

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #179 on: December 24, 2017, 01:50:39 AM »
If you uncheck the box for automatic renewal,  you won't get this message.  DL said earlier that she was working on this bug but until it's fixed, just unchecking that box seems to work.

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #180 on: December 24, 2017, 02:06:30 AM »
Thought I would see if PayPal would let me chose credit card. But when I clicked on PayPal it immediately took me to this error message

Invalid Regular period. You must specify valid values for the A3, P3, and T3 parameters for a subscription.
I get the same error.

Hmmmm....I thought taking that "recurring payment" option off would work, but I guess it's better if I leave mine on, but you (members in general) turn it off....

Tomorrow is Christmas eve, and I'm going to spend as much of it and Christmas day with my family as I can.  When I return after that bug will be the first thing I'll tackle.
If you should have any trouble with any aspect of the forums, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

======================

Buy a Subscription Now to participate in all of our great discussions! Less than .75¢ per week for all-you-can-eat access. :)

======================

Offline Diane in WV

« Reply #181 on: December 24, 2017, 04:46:38 AM »
Yes; you may send me a check, and I'll credit your account when it arrives.

DL
  You will have to tell me your address again, I lose everything.

Make checks payable to Julie Ford
and send them to:

Julie Ford
PO Box 112
Aguila, AZ 85320-0112

and Please include your member name so I know who you are....I will have to change the way I put them into my accounting program so I can find your names there, too.
got it, thanks
Let's talk about math

Offline Diane in WV

« Reply #182 on: December 24, 2017, 04:53:46 AM »
I am glad to see how many people are able to readily step forward to "pre-subscribe" to SG. I understand the stated reasons that Dragon Lady, who has been not only doing the work voluntarily for years, but also carrying the site financially for years, has come to a point where that needs to change. I would be sad, were this important resource to disappear, as did the former site (Sewing World?)

I don't know if/when I will purchase a subscription or not, despite the high value I place on both the information shared here and the camaraderie of the online people from all over the world that meet here. I am not going to expound my economic woes, or my strategies to work around them, which are as boring for me to enumerate as my assorted health issues can be. If/when I find the dosh to join, I will do so. Two weeks is short notice, and there have not been "extras" in my budget to cut, or move from one column to the other, for years now. I just wanted to make sure that people here, who I greatly respect, do not think that if I stop showing up it is out of any disagreement with the financial necessity of keeping the site on a healthy even keel, or lack of appreciation for the valuable qualities of Stitchers Guild and the people who visit here and contribute content. and the time and effort of Dragon Lady and the assorted moderators. I wish everyone the very best of futures and a smooth transition to a new structure
Dragon Lady, no problem for some to join in the future, when it's right for them, right? I have your site in bookmarks if you don't join...or do.
Let's talk about math

Offline Diane in WV

« Reply #183 on: December 24, 2017, 04:58:42 AM »
Huh!
The site is sometimes unavailable for days at a time.
The subscription link doesn't work for non Americans.
I have enjoyed my time here, but don't trust the technical aspects of this board, so will not be joining.
Best of luck to everyone and a hope that things do work out well.
Do you have a website? I don't go to patternreview, so are you anywhere else?
Let's talk about math

Offline Debbie S

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #184 on: December 24, 2017, 05:11:57 AM »
Indigotiger, I have not only enjoyed your posts, but also the brief views of you lovely jewelry creations. I wish there was a site where I could possibly purchase a piece or two. From the few pieces I have seen, you are very talented, and I would like to see more.

Offline Debbie S

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #185 on: December 24, 2017, 05:19:08 AM »
grandrivergirl, I am sure DL did everything possible to keep SG a free site, which included using  the most cost effective hosting site.  Hopefully funding SG will allow DL to obtain a more reliable hosting site, which would eliminate the eruption in services.

Offline KarenDee

• Subscribed Member
  • SIgnal Mountain, Tn.
« Reply #186 on: December 24, 2017, 06:18:54 AM »
I will be putting my subscription check in the mail over the weekend.

A special thanks to Lisa and Kathryn , as well as DL. Without those ladies, our conversations couldnt flow as smoothly. They are more than essential for the site to flourish.

Karendee
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 06:03:22 AM by KarenDee »

Offline DeniseMW

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #187 on: December 24, 2017, 02:27:32 PM »
Is there somewhere in this thread a link to subscribe, or do we just use the "keep SG free" paypal link? Sorry I didn't even know the site was going to subscription until a friend and fellow SG-er mentioned it.

Offline Ann C

• Subscribed Member
  • Sewing in Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
« Reply #188 on: December 24, 2017, 02:41:46 PM »
DL,  I just sent my subscription - hope I did it right.  Let me know if it isn't.

I am not contributing as much as I have before.  DH has dementia now - it has been a slow process - and it has gotten difficult to sew as he gets upset if he is by himself and my sewing room is downstairs.  I do read quite a bit, but don't contribute much.  Maybe one day that will change - but for now, I keep my sanity by at least reading about sewing.  Here's hoping most everyone is able to continue with the contribution model.  I look forward to a more stable site - and by the way - thank you so very much for all you and your moderators do - I'm afraid I take all of you for granted!

Offline BinMI

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #189 on: December 24, 2017, 03:26:22 PM »
Denise,

Go into your profile, there is an Actions tab, you subscribe there.

Offline DeniseMW

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #190 on: December 24, 2017, 03:27:51 PM »
It's showing me that PayPal error message.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 03:32:05 PM by DeniseMW »

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #191 on: December 24, 2017, 03:32:51 PM »
DL,  I just sent my subscription - hope I did it right.  Let me know if it isn't.

I am not contributing as much as I have before.  DH has dementia now - it has been a slow process - and it has gotten difficult to sew as he gets upset if he is by himself and my sewing room is downstairs.  I do read quite a bit, but don't contribute much.  Maybe one day that will change - but for now, I keep my sanity by at least reading about sewing.  Here's hoping most everyone is able to continue with the contribution model.  I look forward to a more stable site - and by the way - thank you so very much for all you and your moderators do - I'm afraid I take all of you for granted!

You're all ready to go.

Happy Christmas eve, everyone. :)

======================

======================

Offline DeniseMW

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #192 on: December 24, 2017, 03:48:21 PM »
Same to you, DL. May you enjoy the gift of loved ones, good health, and happiness.

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #193 on: December 24, 2017, 04:23:25 PM »
It workes!   I unchecked the recurring payment and it went through!   One problem though for DL:

DL my usedr id here (and nearly everywhere) sdBev email merrowb but Paypal addy is fibertales.  Please do yiur magic to see I am a paid member. 
sdBev
sdBev.wordpress.com

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #194 on: December 24, 2017, 04:55:15 PM »
I need to hold off till after the Christmas frenzy to subscribe, But I plan on doing it shortly after. Happy holidays and New year to all!
Wendy

Offline Ann

• Subscribed Member
    • Everything Sewing
« Reply #195 on: December 24, 2017, 05:23:08 PM »
I, too, am waiting until after the Christmas frenzy. Need to do a budget and a few other things also but DS has been sick with the flu/cold, had inflammation in his eye (on anti-inflamitory drugs) and has been sleeping most days. The other parents are here visiting and they have the cold also. Everyone is napping to get better.

Ann
Education is a journey not a race.

http://everythingsewing.blogspot.ca/

Offline DeniseMW

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #196 on: December 24, 2017, 05:50:49 PM »
Great. Did it.

Offline Susan in Saint John

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #197 on: December 26, 2017, 01:05:08 PM »
By unchecking recurring payment, I was able to pay from Canada.

Offline LisaB

« Reply #198 on: December 26, 2017, 01:47:28 PM »
As you can see by my post count, I haven't been active in this latest version of Stitcher's Guild. In years past I was more active in the Sewing Shirts, Irons, Knitting and Industrial Machines threads.

Because of my lack of activity, I do not plan to subscribe and so wanted to say good-bye and thank you to those who have made this a lovely place, especially the moderators. Best wishes to you all!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 05:41:23 PM by LisaB »

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #199 on: December 26, 2017, 04:00:32 PM »
Lisa
We are sorry to see you go and totally understand.
sdBev
sdBev.wordpress.com

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #200 on: December 26, 2017, 10:37:10 PM »
LisaB, as SDBev says, I totally understand, but I will miss you.  I hope you keep posting your lovely projects and knitting on Flickr.

Offline LisaB

« Reply #201 on: December 26, 2017, 10:44:12 PM »
Thanks, Bev and CCL. I sometimes forget to post things to Flickr, but you can find my knitting projects on Ravelry. My username there is lisab399. I'd love to connect!

Offline Pipsy

« Reply #202 on: December 26, 2017, 11:08:26 PM »
Since Artisan Square moved site / carrier I have not visited as often as I used to as I also moved and had a major life change. So I seem to be labelled as a newcomer, where I really am not. As such I don't always get caught up on news flashes. Now in my life it takes me longer to read all messages, especially forums / discussions that are very active. In regards to this discussion it has taken me by surprise and I need time to digest all as well as be concerned that as now listed as a new member I would never have known.

Would you please insert the reason for the discussion in the heading of the discussion - something eye catching - so others such as myself can quickly read the beginning reason?

Thanks. I love Stitchers Guild as I have in my list of frequent visits and while not sewing or contributing as much as in past, I would like to continue to read ....after I reassess my finances for the new year.

Hope you all had a Merry Christmas and send wishes to all for satisfying and peaceful 2018!

Nancy, aka Pipsy, in Vancouver BC, Canada, formerly in Prince George BC.

Offline Helen M

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #203 on: December 26, 2017, 11:42:13 PM »
Reading posts from Pipsy and LisaB makes me wonder if it would have been possible for a mass email or something similar to have gone out to all members advising of the change to the site?

I fear we are going to lose an awful lot of people in this transition.

Sewing in Cheshire

Offline Pipsy

« Reply #204 on: December 27, 2017, 01:04:50 AM »
Reading posts from Pipsy and LisaB makes me wonder if it would have been possible for a mass email or something similar to have gone out to all members advising of the change to the site?

I fear we are going to lose an awful lot of people in this transition.

I think probably already have lost a lot of helpful and friendly people with the transfer to Reloaded status.  As the site was down for quite awhile it took me a long time to find it again. Some may have given up as I miss a lot of names I used to see here.  Is there some way of getting the old membership/mailing list. I think it may bring many back and increase donations. Perhaps a member would have made a file of old names. I know I live in fear of losing old email addresses just in case I need to contact someone not on my current contact lists.

Another approach is to ask members who personally keep in contact with people they found on here but no longer see them contact them again to tell of changes.

With respect to the young ones here -Tip - time, such as long and short time. recent etc, is  different as one gets older but experience usually increases, health and fixed incomes change lifestyles. 
 Thanks to all the mods who have been so busy keeping this a super and professional site for so long. Happy New Year to all.

Offline Karen

« Reply #205 on: December 27, 2017, 02:00:44 PM »
I think Pipsy’s idea of an email blast is a very good one, particularly if those from past members who couldn’t find/didn’t know about or get into the new site (I have several friends in those situations) are available.

Though I reserve the right to change my mind  ;D I likely will not subscribe for a myriad of reasons. I am in touch with/friends in person, on Facebook, IG, a little blog reading, with many friends I met here or further back when Sewing World was still intact, and have surveyed their thought. Out of maybe a couple dozen so far one will subscribe despite sharing some of the reasons why I may not, another is likely going to but as yet uncommitted. Most of these friends are incredibly accomplished sewers who haven’t contributed/participated in awhile, or have done so very minimally.
I’m wondering if perhaps, if an email blast is done or even on the site (if it could be done anonymously), if a survey of why those who may not subscribe, giving reasons why, would be helpful in SG’s evolution not just technically, but content wise?

Many thanks to DL and the admins who’ve voluntarily given so much time to keep SG happening for so long!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 02:27:11 PM by Karen »
Karen

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #206 on: December 27, 2017, 02:07:50 PM »
Sending an email to every current member would not be allowed by our current hosting. 

Sending that many emails out might crash the system, and they would see that as spamming, and would probably shut down the account.  When we move, I'll find out how much extra it will cost for a mass mailing, and then see what I can do.

======================

======================

Offline Susan in Saint John

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #207 on: December 27, 2017, 04:49:05 PM »
I do not know much about blogs except that I do read some and many of them are those of people who are active here.

I wonder if there is a way for bloggers to display a link (not sure this is the correct word) to stitchers guild reloaded to inform people that we are a going concern and if some of our member bloggers would consider this.

Offline Petlover

• UK
« Reply #208 on: December 27, 2017, 06:06:49 PM »
What is the cut-off date for those who are not subscribing?

Offline Magimum

• Subscribed Member
    • I blog at Poor Mother
« Reply #209 on: December 27, 2017, 06:27:49 PM »
I've subscribed. I'm in the UK. I'm an erratic visitor and participant on the boards, but I love to know that my sewing friends are here when I need them or simply want to drop in. $35 seems to me to be excellent value for 365 days of expertise, inspiration, support and friendship. I've paid a lot more for books containing a lot less!

My flickr feed https://flic.kr/ps/28QUmm

My blog: poormother.co.uk
and flowerdogdesigns.co.uk - where my machine embroidery will live, eventually.