Author Topic: The future of SG  (Read 44325 times)

Offline Melinda_B

• Subscribed Member
    • Better Than I Planned
Re: The future of SG
« Reply #140 on: December 23, 2017, 02:44:01 AM »
BoppingBeth, this was not a call to pay for the subscription now, at least that's my understanding of what was said.  Some people asked if they could pay now, to help with the transition costs.

I think you're doing a great thing for your daughter, there's no end to what we'll give up for our kids!
Melinda

Perth, Australia
Personal Blog - https://melbrennan.com/

Offline AnnetteB

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #141 on: December 23, 2017, 02:47:04 AM »
Judith - that's the same message that I got too.

Annette
Annette
Queensland Australia

Offline Susan in Saint John

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #142 on: December 23, 2017, 03:20:33 AM »
The subscription button did not work for me either.  I do have a PayPal account.  I'm in Canada.

Offline andib

• O/T Politics
« Reply #143 on: December 23, 2017, 03:56:13 AM »
With the new subscription service, will moderators get paid? I hope so.

Offline Saashka

• Subscribed Member
  • sewing in southern Maryland
« Reply #144 on: December 23, 2017, 03:56:59 AM »
For the subscription button to work, you need to uncheck the recurring subscription bit. Then it goes through just fine.

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: December 23, 2017, 04:28:27 AM »
Thought I would see if PayPal would let me chose credit card. But when I clicked on PayPal it immediately took me to this error message

Invalid Regular period. You must specify valid values for the A3, P3, and T3 parameters for a subscription.

Hmmmm............................

Are you using an email address that is on file with PayPal?
The road to our success is always under construction.
If you should have any trouble with any aspect of the forums, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

======================

Buy a Subscription Now to participate in all of our great discussions! Less than .75¢ per week for all-you-can-eat access. :)

Gift Subscriptions are available, too; just message me for assistance anytime.

======================

Check out my Etsy shop for gorgeous buttons & other craft supplies:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

Offline Diane in WV

« Reply #146 on: December 23, 2017, 04:29:04 AM »
The (very loosey goosey) plan, atm, is:

Every person who contributed in 2017 will be credited for the full year of 2018.  Over this next few days, I will be going through the member list moving those names to a "Paid Member" group.  If you contributed, but don't see "Paid Member" appear under your name in the next few days, send me a message, as in some cases I don't know the member names of those who sent money.

So far as a book containing more accumulated knowledge than what is available on SG, please send me a message with the title, as I'd like to add it to my personal bookshelf.
I did NOT contribute to Artisan Square, it was a gift to you, so don't count my "contribution".

I want to know the name of that book too...or is it books?
Let's talk about math

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
« Reply #147 on: December 23, 2017, 04:29:45 AM »
I am glad to see how many people are able to readily step forward to "pre-subscribe" to SG. I understand the stated reasons that Dragon Lady, who has been not only doing the work voluntarily for years, but also carrying the site financially for years, has come to a point where that needs to change. I would be sad, were this important resource to disappear, as did the former site (Sewing World?)

I don't know if/when I will purchase a subscription or not, despite the high value I place on both the information shared here and the camaraderie of the online people from all over the world that meet here. I am not going to expound my economic woes, or my strategies to work around them, which are as boring for me to enumerate as my assorted health issues can be. If/when I find the dosh to join, I will do so. Two weeks is short notice, and there have not been "extras" in my budget to cut, or move from one column to the other, for years now. I just wanted to make sure that people here, who I greatly respect, do not think that if I stop showing up it is out of any disagreement with the financial necessity of keeping the site on a healthy even keel, or lack of appreciation for the valuable qualities of Stitchers Guild and the people who visit here and contribute content. and the time and effort of Dragon Lady and the assorted moderators. I wish everyone the very best of futures and a smooth transition to a new structure
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 04:35:40 AM by indigotiger »
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #148 on: December 23, 2017, 04:37:27 AM »
The (very loosey goosey) plan, atm, is:

Every person who contributed in 2017 will be credited for the full year of 2018.  Over this next few days, I will be going through the member list moving those names to a "Paid Member" group.  If you contributed, but don't see "Paid Member" appear under your name in the next few days, send me a message, as in some cases I don't know the member names of those who sent money.

So far as a book containing more accumulated knowledge than what is available on SG, please send me a message with the title, as I'd like to add it to my personal bookshelf.
I did NOT contribute to Artisan Square, it was a gift to you, so don't count my "contribution".

In that case, I appreciate it very much. Thank-you. :)
If you should have any trouble with any aspect of the forums, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

======================

Buy a Subscription Now to participate in all of our great discussions! Less than .75¢ per week for all-you-can-eat access. :)

======================

Offline Cheriecz

• Subscribed Member
  • aka Cheriemg
« Reply #149 on: December 23, 2017, 04:46:04 AM »
I paid through the subscription option, but it automatically said $37 and some cents? I am in Arizona, US, not Canada or anywhere else. PayPal knows me as Cheryl.
Cherie

Sewing in the Arizona desert

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #150 on: December 23, 2017, 04:50:38 AM »
Just sent mine through the subscription module.  :).  If I want to contribute more for a fund to help I'll send it to you directly?

Thank you so much.

Connie

Yes; that will be fine; but do let me know who you are and what the money is for.

======================

======================

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #151 on: December 23, 2017, 04:52:09 AM »
With the new subscription service, will moderators get paid? I hope so.

The mods and I decides this type of issue amongst ourselves.

======================

======================

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #152 on: December 23, 2017, 04:52:49 AM »
I paid through the subscription option, but it automatically said $37 and some cents? I am in Arizona, US, not Canada or anywhere else. PayPal knows me as Cheryl.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Okay; I'll go look & refund the extra.

======================

======================

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #153 on: December 23, 2017, 04:56:41 AM »
For the subscription button to work, you need to uncheck the recurring subscription bit. Then it goes through just fine.

Thank-you!  I've removed that option, at least for now.

For some reason, the module isn't working properly, and a lot of users aren't showing up on the list, despite the payments being in my PayPal account.  This makes things problematic, because I don't know very many of you by your real names.

======================

======================

Offline Diane in WV

« Reply #154 on: December 23, 2017, 04:58:01 AM »
Those of you who sent checks during 2017, please send me a private message with your real name, so I can look you up. You're in my account program under your real names (or the names on the checks) but not referenced via your username here.
Are you saying we can still send checks? Consider me a person who, while DH does it for me sometimes (ebay, amazon), I don't trust the internet for privacy. If we did, nobody would be here with fake names , etc. ( I can't have a fake name, I'd forget which name I used). In case you're wondering, I'm not on Facebook, although some would like me to be on it (local person), I don't have a smart phone, don't know how to text, tweek, twirk, etc, and proud of it. I do Artisan Square, used to do yahoo (I now periodically delete thousands of emails of all sorts instead of trying to see what's good and what's not.
  I admit cell phones would be better and cheaper, but , they can only be used at our house if we climb the rather large mountain , I've never made it to the top...DS has...in the rain to report a power outage, not easy to do with mud, etc.
Let's talk about math

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #155 on: December 23, 2017, 05:05:57 AM »
Yes; you may send me a check, and I'll credit your account when it arrives.

DL

======================

======================

Offline Diane in WV

« Reply #156 on: December 23, 2017, 05:07:50 AM »

DL
  You will have to tell me your address again, I lose everything.
Let's talk about math

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #157 on: December 23, 2017, 05:19:28 AM »

DL
  You will have to tell me your address again, I lose everything.

Make checks payable to Julie Ford
and send them to:

Julie Ford
PO Box 112
Aguila, AZ 85320-0112

and Please include your member name so I know who you are....I will have to change the way I put them into my accounting program so I can find your names there, too.

======================

======================

Offline Judith

• Subscribed Member
Re: The future of SG.
« Reply #158 on: December 23, 2017, 05:20:11 AM »
This time i was able to gt as far as the paypal link. The option to pay with a credit card shows up, but can't get any further when i choose it. The circle thing just goes round and round. I think i'll wait till after Christmas, give it some tine for kinks to be worked out.
Judith
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 05:21:43 AM by Judith »
People are generally as happy as they allow themselves to be. Abraham Lincoln

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #159 on: December 23, 2017, 05:21:13 AM »
This time i as wble o gt as far as the paypal link. The option to pay with a credit card shows up, but cant get any further when i choose it _ circle just goes round and round. I think i'll wait till after Christmas, give it some tine for kinks to be worked out.
Judith

Yeah; there are kinks, for sure.  I'm working on it.

I think I understand the issue, but need to do more investigating.

======================

======================

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #160 on: December 23, 2017, 05:28:57 AM »
(sigh)

Okay, I have payments from folks, but don't know the real names, so I can't verify the subscription worked.

I have a list of supposedly "finished' subscriptions, but no payment info.

I think this is what is happening:

You have a different email address here than what is listed at PayPal.  PayPal processes the payment and sends me the verification, then sends the information they have on file to the board...but it doesn't match, so the board doesn't know what to do with it, and just drops it into a black hole.

So, please make sure your email address here matches the primary address you have on PayPal.  If you have to change it to match, you can change it back right afterward. I'll remove the verification requirement for changing email address for now to streamline that process a bit.

======================

======================

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #161 on: December 23, 2017, 07:54:36 AM »
I *think* I have everyone who has paid me so far properly subscribed.

I will try to get all the kinks out of the system this weekend, so that the process is more automated and less error-prone.

======================

======================

Offline Lyn-J

• O/T Politics
« Reply #162 on: December 23, 2017, 08:58:17 AM »
I'm off for the Christmas break now.
I have no plans to subscribe up at present. I'm changing the way I do sewing in 2018, no stash, just sewing fresh ideas.
I don't know if I'll be allowed to lurk here next year, if I can then I'll come and see what you are all getting up to.
Happy Christmas and Best Wishes for the New Year.
x

Offline grandrivergirl

• O/T Politics
« Reply #163 on: December 23, 2017, 01:24:33 PM »
Huh!
The site is sometimes unavailable for days at a time.
The subscription link doesn't work for non Americans.
I have enjoyed my time here, but don't trust the technical aspects of this board, so will not be joining.
Best of luck to everyone and a hope that things do work out well.

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #164 on: December 23, 2017, 03:10:34 PM »
The subscription link doesn't work for non Americans.

Yes; it does.  It just requires using US currency.  I'm working on finding ways to make it less USA-centric.

======================

======================

Offline Meg

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #165 on: December 23, 2017, 03:21:18 PM »
I’m traveling now and don’t remember my paypal password.  As soon as I reach my destination and an log in I’ll send my subscription payment.  Happy new year , happy holiday. 

Offline grandrivergirl

• O/T Politics
« Reply #166 on: December 23, 2017, 03:38:52 PM »
I think the point I am trying to make, is that technical issues like this should have been worked out, before a two week deadline on membership was proposed.
Again, no disrespect intended as I am sure I couldn't do the job!

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #167 on: December 23, 2017, 03:49:52 PM »
I think the point I am trying to make, is that technical issues like this should have been worked out, before a two week deadline on membership was proposed.
Again, no disrespect intended as I am sure I couldn't do the job!

I understand that. 

I just wanted to clarify for everyone that people from outside the USA have successfully purchased subscriptions.

======================

======================

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #168 on: December 23, 2017, 03:50:18 PM »
I’m traveling now and don’t remember my paypal password.  As soon as I reach my destination and an log in I’ll send my subscription payment.  Happy new year , happy holiday.

Thank-you in advance. :)

======================

======================

Offline marie-louise

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #169 on: December 23, 2017, 04:57:32 PM »
I won't be subscribing. I spent many happy hours on this site before the crash last year, and I've missed it. I noticed on the Sewing Workshop thread that many of you have subscribed to next year's Sew Confident! So have I-I'm really excited about it-and it would have been fun to discuss it with all of you.

To me, the value of this site-as well as other similar boards that I frequent on topics as wide-ranging as California's weather to the car I drive-is the content supplied by the users. SG users range from the occasional poster who posts just the answer you need, to people like Elizabeth and irreplacable Ann Rowley and the SWAP Coordinators, who have volunteered countless hours to making this site a success. Since people took the time to answer my questions,  I always tried to pay it forward and take the time to answer the ones that I could.

The fact that years and years of content was tucked in a unusable corner made me decide not to waste my time on any more posting until I was sure the site wasn't going to keep crashing. I suspect everything that was posted since the crash will vanish when you all move to the new site. I'm not going to risk wasting time and energy posting on a new site unless I knew it was going to be sustainable and successful, and since you will all be behind a paywall that non-members won't be able to see, I'll never know.

Best of luck to all of you.

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #170 on: December 23, 2017, 05:24:49 PM »
FYI:

I already have another fully installed version of SG's scripts running on another server.  The hosts there cannot handle our traffic, but I've been able to use their system as a "sandbox" to test things out.  There, this board doesn't suffer any of the problems we're seeing here.

That makes me much more confident in my belief that our errors are server side, beyond my control. 

There is no guarantee SG will run perfectly after she's moved.  However, there are few guarantees in any aspect of life, and I have a good amount of faith in my own abilities to make things work.

I know I screwed up when I let our hosts move the site.  But, in my defense, I had no idea such a standard operation would prove to be so problematic.  The machine we were on was too old to update, so she couldn't stay there; we had been with that company for a decade with no real issues; and I thought it would be the least disruptive choice.  Obviously, I was wrong.  I'm human.  I make mistakes, and this was a stunner.

But I cannot go back in time to prevent it happening, so that only leaves moving forward and trying to repair the damages.

======================

======================

Offline Elephun

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #171 on: December 23, 2017, 05:36:42 PM »

I will try to get all the kinks out of the system this weekend, so that the process is more automated and less error-prone.

I think you missed me  :) unless you haven’t gotten back to January yet. Thanks!

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #172 on: December 23, 2017, 05:41:05 PM »

I think you missed me  :) unless you haven’t gotten back to January yet. Thanks!

I haven't gotten everyone; I'm still waiting for the real names of some people because I don't have them matched up with their usernames.  If you want to send me a pm with yours, I'll take care of you right away.

======================

======================

Offline dagmaro

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #173 on: December 23, 2017, 06:13:22 PM »
I was able to make a payment through Paypal last night using my credit card without having to disclose any information other than my email address.  Although I am Canadian, I used a US funds credit card so may be that's why it went through without issue.  I also unchecked the recurring subscription box.  This procedure was quite different than when I went to make a voluntary contribution some months back and was informed that I needed to open a Paypal bank account or link my banking info to them, two directives that I felt compelled to walk away from.
Dagmar

Offline Judith

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #174 on: December 23, 2017, 07:49:37 PM »
I was able to make a payment through Paypal last night using my credit card without having to disclose any information other than my email address.  Although I am Canadian, I used a US funds credit card so may be that's why it went through without issue.  I also unchecked the recurring subscription box.  This procedure was quite different than when I went to make a voluntary contribution some months back and was informed that I needed to open a Paypal bank account or link my banking info to them, two directives that I felt compelled to walk away from.

Thank you so much for posting this!

I tried again, and this time it worked. Maybe I just needed to be more patient yesterday

For those who don’t live in USA, it’s good to know we can pay through paypal’s credit card option without having a PayPal account. My credit card is not a US dollar, and it worked fine. By the way,  and off topic, there are some credit cards out there (like amazon visa) that charge only the conversion rate to US$, and not an extra “conversion fee”

I’m looking forward to the next year with SG.

DG I will send you a PM with details. I don’t know how you manage to keep track of all this.

Merry Christmas

Judith
People are generally as happy as they allow themselves to be. Abraham Lincoln