Author Topic: The future of SG  (Read 44328 times)

Offline Petlover

• UK
Re: The future of SG
« Reply #105 on: December 22, 2017, 03:39:41 PM »
I'm planning to subscribe. This has been my favorite sewing forum since its inception.
Me too!  And yes my favorite site since  I stumbled across it!

It's my favourite, too, although it's not as good as it was in the old forum. I am retired now and living in the UK. I watch what I subscribe to very carefully because many subscriptions are not worthwhile overall. I can buy a book with much more knowledge contained in it. I am really referring to mag subscriptions although it would pertain to forum subscriptions, too.

Offline marciae

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #106 on: December 22, 2017, 04:35:17 PM »
IF memory serves me right - pattern review is $29 per year - so, yes, SG would be higher by $6 ::) ::)

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: December 22, 2017, 05:09:21 PM »
The (very loosey goosey) plan, atm, is:

Every person who contributed in 2017 will be credited for the full year of 2018.  Over this next few days, I will be going through the member list moving those names to a "Paid Member" group.  If you contributed, but don't see "Paid Member" appear under your name in the next few days, send me a message, as in some cases I don't know the member names of those who sent money.

Every advertiser who paid for an ad during 2017 will be credited -if they have a current member representative here- for the year of 2018.

The SWAP forum section will remain open to registered members, paid or not, for this current SWAP.  I'm not sure what to do yet for next year, but we'll cross that bridge later.

SG classic costs a fortune to maintain.  The current plan is to move her behind the paywall, so if she's valuable to you, please consider subscribing so she can continue to be kept in relative comfort.  If finances do not allow that, she will be zipped up and put into storage. There is even -still- a remote possibility that in the future she can be merged with this board, so it's a priority to me to keep her viable and healthy. 

Gift subscriptions will be available.  I don't think the forum software handles that, but I'm sure we can work something out.  I may be able to add it as a "product listing" at Etsy or the button shop...again, we'll cross that bridge soon enough.

So far as hardship waivers, I'll consider the notion.  I have a few members here I do not want to lose, but that I know struggle to make ends meet.  I'm more than happy to accommodate those.  However, I really don't want my email blowing up with people asking for freebies.  I know, for a fact, that the vast majority of our members buy machines, fabric, patterns and tools that cost far, far more than a subscription here.  So, like everything else in life, individuals here will have to decide for themselves if this board is important to them.

So far as a book containing more accumulated knowledge than what is available on SG, please send me a message with the title, as I'd like to add it to my personal bookshelf.

The road to our success is always under construction.
If you should have any trouble with any aspect of the forums, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

======================

Buy a Subscription Now to participate in all of our great discussions! Less than .75¢ per week for all-you-can-eat access. :)

Gift Subscriptions are available, too; just message me for assistance anytime.

======================

Check out my Etsy shop for gorgeous buttons & other craft supplies:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

Offline Petlover

• UK
« Reply #108 on: December 22, 2017, 05:18:58 PM »
Dragon lady, I didn't mean to be rude when I made my comment about buying a book. What I meant was that I think the wealth of information is in SG Classic but not so much the current forum. Nevertheless, I have been a member under another name when I was in the USA for a long time and with a new name now that I am in the UK - new beginnings with the new forum. I would hate to lose this forum but have to be practical.

What do you think about people with blogs putting a free ad on their blog to advertise the forum to try to bring more members/fees?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 05:23:09 PM by Petlover »

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: December 22, 2017, 05:34:01 PM »
I'm sorry, Petlover, I shouldn't have been so snarky.  It's hard for me to have to explain why making this move to a subscription model is important and is really the only option SG has if she wants to continue at all.

After spending almost every single day of the last decade in this chair, taking care of this forum, hearing comments about how much she isn't worth, hurts a little bit.  I know I shouldn't take it personally, but a tiny part of me does. 

So far as blogs and such, any one who wishes to provide a link to SG is certainly welcome to do so, and quite a few have. 
If you should have any trouble with any aspect of the forums, just email me: dl@artisanssquare.com

======================

Buy a Subscription Now to participate in all of our great discussions! Less than .75¢ per week for all-you-can-eat access. :)

======================

Offline Judith

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #110 on: December 22, 2017, 05:42:56 PM »
Dragon lady, I think you have worked out a good plan. Just one question - will there be a way for those of us who do not live in US and  do not have PayPal to subscribe?  Some purchases I make online to US vendors allow me to pay through PayPal, using my credit card, without having a PayPal account.

As to charitable subscriptions, I belong to the modern quilt guild. I don’t  ask them if they have charitable subscriptions, wouldn’t expect you to have them either.  Sewing is a hobby.

Judith
People are generally as happy as they allow themselves to be. Abraham Lincoln

Offline ljh

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #111 on: December 22, 2017, 05:43:57 PM »
So, to cut to the chase:
DL, would you prefer we send money now or wait until you get everything together and proceed in a more organized fashion?
Linda

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #112 on: December 22, 2017, 05:48:26 PM »
Dragon lady, I think you have worked out a good plan. Just one question - will there be a way for those of us who do not live in US and  do not have PayPal to subscribe?  Some purchases I make online to US vendors allow me to pay through PayPal, using my credit card, without having a PayPal account.

As to charitable subscriptions, I belong to the modern quilt guild. I don’t  ask them if they have charitable subscriptions, wouldn’t expect you to have them either.  Sewing is a hobby.

Judith

I'm working on a CC solution, Judith.  The SMF system isn't really designed to be behind a paywall, so the options to do that have be implemented as separate plug-ins.  There are many CC companies that provide various gateways and such, but so far I haven't found any that have a secured plug-in for SMF.  They all expect the hosting company to provide the security.

So it's gonna take some time to make it all work together, and in the meantime I'll do my best to make sure everyone can be accommodated somehow.

======================

======================

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: December 22, 2017, 05:50:02 PM »
So, to cut to the chase:
DL, would you prefer we send money now or wait until you get everything together and proceed in a more organized fashion?

It makes no real difference either way.  Honestly, if someone wants to pay now, that will be a little bit easier for me, as I expect a very busy week (or month) making sure everything works smoothly once the payment system is completely installed and on-line.

======================

======================

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: December 22, 2017, 06:12:05 PM »
The (very loosey goosey) plan, atm, is:

Every person who contributed in 2017 will be credited for the full year of 2018.  Over this next few days, I will be going through the member list moving those names to a "Paid Member" group.  If you contributed, but don't see "Paid Member" appear under your name in the next few days, send me a message, as in some cases I don't know the member names of those who sent money.

Need to clarify: sending me $5.00 now does not constitute payment for next year. My earlier post was intended for the benefit of those who contributed before I posted.

If you wish to pay me for a year NOW, you must send the whole $35.00. However, partial payments will be credited, probably in the form of a refund after the subscription is purchased (I don't think the board knows how to make change or keep a tally of partial payments).

***someday, I will learn to use the coding buttons, instead of typing them in.  someday.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 06:14:01 PM by DragonLady »

======================

======================

Offline ljh

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #115 on: December 22, 2017, 06:56:45 PM »
So, to cut to the chase:

It makes no real difference either way.  Honestly, if someone wants to pay now, that will be a little bit easier for me, as I expect a very busy week (or month) making sure everything works smoothly once the payment system is completely installed and on-line.

Done.  Happy New Year.  :)
Linda

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #116 on: December 22, 2017, 07:14:49 PM »

I just contributed. Forgot to give my forum name...  ::)
So Eva =Morzel. I have been appreciating the constant work you put into the forum for many years now. Thank you.
Eva

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: December 22, 2017, 07:17:07 PM »
So, to cut to the chase:

Received.  Thank-you! :)

======================

======================

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: December 22, 2017, 07:17:34 PM »

I just contributed. Forgot to give my forum name...  ::)
So Eva =Morzel. I have been appreciating the constant work you put into the forum for many years now. Thank you.

Received. Thank-you. :)

======================

======================

Offline vtmartha

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #119 on: December 22, 2017, 07:31:00 PM »
So, to cut to the chase:

I did the same.  Happy New Year to all!

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #120 on: December 22, 2017, 07:39:33 PM »
So, to cut to the chase:

I did the same.  Happy New Year to all!

I haven't received yours yet, but PP can be slow.  Did you send the money via the PP site, or did you try the subscription module?

======================

======================

Offline vtmartha

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #121 on: December 22, 2017, 07:43:18 PM »
I just now had my bank send a check.  You won’t receive it for awhile.  I know it’s not the best option for you but the gift should make up for that.

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: December 22, 2017, 07:47:34 PM »
I just now had my bank send a check.  You won’t receive it for awhile.  I know it’s not the best option for you but the gift should make up for that.

Okay; that's fine. I'll update your status when it arrives.  Thank-you very much. :)

======================

======================

Offline Saashka

• Subscribed Member
  • sewing in southern Maryland
« Reply #123 on: December 22, 2017, 08:15:48 PM »
Done. Through the subscription module.

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: December 22, 2017, 08:27:56 PM »
Done. Through the subscription module.

Received. Thank-you :)

======================

======================

Offline BinMI

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #125 on: December 22, 2017, 09:10:49 PM »
Where is the subscription module.

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: December 22, 2017, 09:18:56 PM »
Where is the subscription module.

When you go to your profile, there is a new tab called "actions". Clicking it will take you to the subscription module.

======================

======================

Offline AnnetteB

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #127 on: December 22, 2017, 09:40:44 PM »
Hi DL. The link under "Actions" wouldn't work for me, presumably because I'm in Australia.

However, I logged into my PayPal account and sent the $US35 to dl@artisanssquare.com from there - just now. It probably won't tell you that it's me because there was no option for inputting a message. ($36.67 was the total amount to include the US fee)

Cheers.
Annette
Annette
Queensland Australia

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: December 22, 2017, 09:42:09 PM »
Those of you who sent checks during 2017, please send me a private message with your real name, so I can look you up. You're in my account program under your real names (or the names on the checks) but not referenced via your username here.

======================

======================

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #129 on: December 22, 2017, 09:42:48 PM »
Hi DL. The link under "Actions" wouldn't work for me, presumably because I'm in Australia.

However, I logged into my PayPal account and sent the $US35 to dl@artisanssquare.com from there - just now. It probably won't tell you that it's me because there was no option for inputting a message. ($36.67 was the total amount to include the US fee)

Cheers.
Annette

Okay; I'll see what I can do to make it more user friendly.

======================

======================

Offline Bookish

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #130 on: December 22, 2017, 10:41:22 PM »
Just sent mine through the subscription module.  :).  If I want to contribute more for a fund to help I'll send it to you directly?

Thank you so much.

Connie

Offline PJSewingal

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #131 on: December 22, 2017, 10:42:58 PM »
Lots of activity since I was on here last. I see a number of people are subscribing. I had one thought about the previous comments of folks saying that they may not subscribe because some of the people they like on the site may not subscribe. That seems like a self-fulfilling prophecy to create a downfall. If you find value then you should subscribe.  The people who continue will add value because they are invested and along the way it will likely grow in some different ways. Change is hard but is a constant. 

I will be subscribing.
Paula
Sew many ideas, Sew little time

Blog: https://spoolsandyards.wordpress.com/

Offline Lee K

• Subscribed Member
  • New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #132 on: December 22, 2017, 11:18:57 PM »
Just made the payment on the subscription option, but I'm not sure it makes the connection between my username here and my actual name (PayPal calls me Elizabeth)

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
« Reply #133 on: December 22, 2017, 11:23:46 PM »
Just made the payment on the subscription option, but I'm not sure it makes the connection between my username here and my actual name (PayPal calls me Elizabeth)

It doesn't. :( I keep having to go in and manually adjust it.

So, if you've paid, but it hasn't changed your status to "paid member" and/or doesn't show you as having an active subscription, let me know so I can fix it.

======================

======================

Offline Lee K

• Subscribed Member
  • New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #134 on: December 22, 2017, 11:39:31 PM »
Thanks, DL; it shows "paid member"

Offline Debby

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #135 on: December 23, 2017, 12:49:59 AM »
DL, just made my PayPal payment.  My name here is Debby and PalPal knows me as Deborah.

Offline sewingbox

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #136 on: December 23, 2017, 01:04:12 AM »
Just paid my subscription by PayPal - please let me know if you don't receive it.  Thank you DL.:)

Offline dagmaro

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #137 on: December 23, 2017, 01:58:09 AM »
Also just made my payment via Credit Card.  Let me know if there is a problem and Good Luck with the new plan!
Dagmar

Offline boppingbeth

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #138 on: December 23, 2017, 02:01:34 AM »
I've paid what I can but with the current Canadian exchange it doesn't get up to the $35 US value. 

I'm going to be honest; sewing is my hobby and I am putting my youngest through university.  I don't have the budget flex to drop $55 Canadian with two week's notice the week before Christmas when my youngest is going to need $400 in books in two weeks, as well as money for food. I could have managed with six weeks notice, but not two.  I've given what I can.

If that isn't good enough, well I guess I will be one of the people who doesn't get to hang around.  I've already given up all but one of my magazines and subscriptions to get this child an education, along with a host of other things like eating out, seeing movies, buying books, buying clothes, etc.  What is one more thing in the scheme of her life? It will only be for a year or two.  If I had been given more than two weeks notice, I might have been able to work it out. 

Offline Judith

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #139 on: December 23, 2017, 02:38:20 AM »
Thought I would see if PayPal would let me chose credit card. But when I clicked on PayPal it immediately took me to this error message

Invalid Regular period. You must specify valid values for the A3, P3, and T3 parameters for a subscription.
People are generally as happy as they allow themselves to be. Abraham Lincoln