For those of you using Flickr to host your images, Flickr has again
changed the look/feel of their photo-hosting site. Previously, they disabled the right-click, "properties" method we all still use to post pictures from anywhere else on the web.
They want you to post "clickable" images so that your viewers will have the option to click back to Flickr and see your pictures there.
From one of their FAQs:
The direct link to a photo file is no longer shown on the page. Per the Flickr Community Guidelines "pages on other websites that display content hosted on flickr.com must provide a link from each photo or video back to its page on Flickr." Linking directly to the photo file doesn't do this.
(The quote is underlined, as it is a link, so that you can click it and link back to the FAQ quoted--which also includes a link to their community guidelines.)
However, when they took away the ability to "right-click", etc., they also provided a method to easily get the BBCode you need to post photos here
. However their latest change is to revise how you get to that BBCode.
Here's what you need to know.
First, see if you can see the "More ways to share" icon under the image on the right (looks like this:
). If not, you need to go to the image's page (where you will find that icon). Put put your cursor on the image. If you see a transparent banner at the bottom of the image, you'll find five links in the banner. The one at the top-left of the banner (the name of the image on Flickr) will take you to the image's page. When you get there:
1. Click the "More ways to share" icon---hover over the icon and the browser should ID it for you,
2. If the "Grab the HTML/BBCode" link is black, proceed to the next step, if it's blue, click the link which will open a pop-up window.
3. Click the radio button next to "BBCode" near the bottom of the pop-up window (otherwise you'll get the Flickr default, HTML, which this board doesn't use).
4. Choose the size you want from the drop down menu. (If you need to preview sizes, go back to the image page, then click the three dots icon to the right of the More ways to share icon, and choose "View all sizes." You'll be able to take a look at the various sizes that are on the drop-down menu, then back to the More ways to share/Grab the HTML/BBCode and choose the size you want.)
5. Copy the code from the window and bring it back to your reply window here and paste it where you want the image. Don't use any of the buttons over the reply window to add img tags--Flickr has helpfully include those in the code they provide for you!
So if I do all of that with one of my images, the code I post looks like this:
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/30567563@N03/3819024184/]One White Peony[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/30567563@N03/]lisaalissa[/url], on Flickr
You may wonder why there are two lines of code. The second line provides a caption (the name of the image on Flickr), a link to your profile on Flickr, as well as a note that the image is hosted on Flickr. It looks like this:One White Peony
, on Flickr
You'll note that there are three links. The first is the image itself. The second is the image's caption (which takes you to the same page as the image). The third is to the poster's profile (mine won't tell you much, since I never filled it out
) As I read the FAQ/Community guidelines from Flickr, you can delete the second line of code if you like (since the image itself links back to Flickr). When I do that, I get the image without the captions, which looks like this:
Please try out posting your images hosted on Flickr in the "Sandbox
"! We keep an eye on it, and are always glad to help. (If you have trouble, please leave whatever you got there, so that we can see what happened.) Hope to see you posting images from your Flickr-hosted photos soon!etc
:info for new Flickr scheme to get to BBCode