Author Topic: Love to see what others are making (for the under-13 set)  (Read 153549 times)

Offline BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
Re: Love to see what others are making (for the under-13 set)
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2007, 01:44:58 AM »
How shocking, Lyra, $149 for a child's simple dress! Aren't they lucky you sew for them, and I am glad for you they enjoy their handmade outfits.

That is really why we sew - it's not that we can't afford to buy ANY clothes, usually it's just not the ones we WANT.

Offline Martha Domke

« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2007, 04:48:19 AM »
Yes, Lyra, the dress is from that Simplicity pattern 4711.  I sort of goofed when attaching the collar, and placed it too far forward on the neckline.  Didn't notice until I was fastening the front point together.  But I figure, Emily won't know it, and my DD won't either. ;D

Offline GGC

« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2007, 12:24:08 AM »
Hi everyone, I am new here and am I glad to find this site. This is just such a wonderful forum.

I LOVE sewing for children, especially little girls. Here are just some of my designs:

The first black and white dress was going to be a part of my 2008 collections, but it's sold out just few days ago, a boutique in MD will be the one who carry this dress, so I guess just have to do more fabric shopping (woohoo!) for next year's collection.

Ning

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2007, 01:22:12 PM »
Ning, welcome to SG!  All I can say about your children's clothing collection is WOWZA!  The outfits are so cute!  And so stylish.  It's no wonder they have sold out so quickly.  Do you make all of the styles yourself, or do you do the designing and have commercial sewists make them up for you?  They're really great.

Here is some info we like to share with our new posters, just in case you want to get around the site a bit more easily:

1. Visit the “Are You New?” topic by clicking here:  Are you new? 

2. Learn about the forum rules by clicking here: Forum decorum...FAQs

3. Play in the Sandbox by clicking here : Sandbox .  There you can play around with a lot of the features of the site to your heart's delight in the Sandbox topic without affecting any of the other active topics.  It’s truly a “no worries” place to play and learn:

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask one of us four site administrators or the site moderator.  One or the other of us is almost always around.  On the opening page, at the bottom, where it lists who is online, our names show up in bright red or bright blue.  You can always send us a private message at any time if you need help.

Again, thank you for posting the wonderful photos.  The designs are quite a treat for the eyes. 

Kathryn

Offline GGC

« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2007, 03:10:43 PM »
Kathryn,

Thanks for all the links, I read them and learned a lot :). I really love this forum.

Thank you too for all the kind words. Well, I am a one woman show,lol  ;D. From shopping for fabric, designing, pattern making, cutting, sewing, and just everything, I do it on my own. Wished I have enough money to pay a sewing contractor to help  :P. Maybe in the future.

Well, talking about sewing, I have to go and finish some orders. Thank you so much for the warm welcome, I will try to visit here as much as I can. :)

Ning

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2007, 01:18:18 PM »
Ning, I went to your 'blog and really enjoyed reading about the design of your children's garments.  I can't believe how much you do with your one-woman business, plus raising a young family and now starting to homeschool your DD.  When do you ever sleep? 

You really do superb work, Ning.  I'm so glad you found us here at SG and shared your amazing talent with us!  :)

Kathryn

Offline GGC

« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2007, 09:44:39 PM »
Thanks for your kind words Kathryn :). It helps to have an understanding and helpful DH. Especially now that I have a new baby due in about 2 weeks, as if raising 2 toddlers is not enough, lol  ;D. DH does a lot of house chores like the laundry, dishes, and he cooks a lot on the weekend, and he never complains.

I do have a daily schedules or planner I try to follow. It keeps me from being overwhelmed.

I saw your sites too, and I really admire and love your garments and what you do. I think that's why I love sewing children's garments. They are not too difficult. I sew adult size garments too once in a while, but it is waaaay more complicating and overwhelming, using darts, princess seams, etc. So I truly admire people who sew adult size garments.

I know I still have A LOT to learn in sewing, that's why I joined this forum, and so far I do learn a lot from you guys :). Thank you so much too for sharing all your talents and knowledge :).

Ning

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2007, 10:28:41 PM »
Ning,

How nice to have you here, and what fun to see your lovely work!  It's obvious you have a great time designing such cute pieces.  Do you sew them all yourself?  That is a lot of work, but of course you do get the fun of doing it, and as long as you're enjoying it, that's great. 

Again, welcome to Stitcher's Guild!  :)

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2007, 09:11:33 AM »
Ning, now that I know you're due any time now with your third child, I'm truly amazed at all you do!  I'd be too exhausted to even think of sewing, much less sew such fine things as you do!  And to think you do it all, from the design to the sewing to the selling and shipping. You must work 15 hours a day.

Best of luck with the upcoming labor and delivery.  I hope it goes smoothly and as painlessly as possible.  Maybe you'll be adding new baby clothing to your design line before long! :)

Best wishes,
Kathryn

Offline GGC

« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2007, 03:34:18 PM »
Thanks a bunch Liana and Kathryn :).

Yes Liana, I sew them all my self.

Sewing to me is a way to relax, so I am soooo looking forward to doing it everytime I have a chance. And since I do this only part time, I only sew about 3 - 4 hours a day. One hour in the morning before my DD start her homeschool, 2 hours in the afternoon when the munchkins take naps, and one hour at night around 8 p.m after all kids go to sleep. And I only take orders one at a time to keep me from being overwhelmed.

Yes Kathryn, what a good idea, I might try to add soem baby's clothing to my line :). I will let you guys know when I go into labor :).

Thank you so much once again for the warm welcome, you ladies are the best :)

Ning

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2007, 10:41:11 PM »
At last, I captured Kate coming home from preschool in one of her jumpers!   :laugh: 

I've made her a ton of these for school, but she's hard to photograph when she comes home because she has too much energy!   So here she is, visiting my sewing loft, in a wool jumper I made and a thrift store shirt- I think her mom found it for $2 or something really cheap, but it goes nicely with the jumpers.

(But don't look at the mess on the floor, my loft is a zoo right now.  :-[ )

Offline BetsyV

« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2007, 02:37:10 AM »
Lyra you are so good to your nieces!

And I am envious of your sewing loft ! I have a corner of the finished basement in the path from the stairs to the laundry area - boo hoo, but it works for now. Thus can't leave too much on the floor, "someone" (that would be ME) will trip on it!

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2007, 03:09:28 AM »
That's not a mess, Lyra, that creativity in action!  That looks like a comfy little jumper for an active child.  Nice job!

Kathryn

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2007, 01:54:21 PM »
Martha, I finally made up Simplicity 4711.  Ana wore it for her 2nd birthday party the other day. Her birthday isn't really until Dec 23, but we held the party early so that it wouldn't get lost in Christmas. Anyway, I had a hard time trying to get a picture of her in it, there was so much going on.

The collar directions were a little weird- I read through the instructions, then just kind of winged it my own way. It sort of came out ok in the end.

Of course Ana is so small that she's celebrating her 2nd birthday but I made the dress in 12 month size.   :o  And her 6 month old brother is so big that I'm making the boy's version right now for him in 12 month size as well.  I guess pattern sizes are just a guideline sometimes.   ;)

Offline BetsyV

« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2007, 05:01:48 PM »
Lyra that dress is so adorable! The collar looks fine from this angle  ;D

Makes me wonder what my mom is making for my cousin's little ones for the holidays. Ellie is 4 now, and the boys will be 2 at the end of February. I really have to get her to post her creations here - she does beautiful work too.

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2007, 11:19:58 PM »
Oooh, yeah- you should get some photos of her projects! 

I've been burying myself in christmas presents today.  I've got the outer part of a Burda coat done (I had the crazy idea to insert piping at the waistline, which is cute, but took a long time to get right) and a quilt.  I'm actually hand quilting it, the first time I've ever tried that. It's so cold here, though, and it's comfy and warm to sit with it on my lap & stitch around the blocks.   :D

Offline Martha Domke

« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2007, 07:20:51 AM »
Lyra, I never did go back and read the directions for putting the collar on that dress.  But, I think what I missed was that there were circles or dots that should have been matched at the shoulder seams.  So---in the back, there is a wide area with no collar.  But, since babies have no necks, it worked out well for now.  I will be more careful next time I make that pattern.

By the way, I love that red/white check.  Is it gingham?  Or a winter weight fabric? 

I would really like to make the little boy pattern.  Our SGD (step-grand) has a baby boy who is 4 months old now.  I thought it would be a good pattern for him when the weather gets warmer next spring.

Isn't it so much fun sewing for children????  I sewed all of our kids' clothes when they were in elementary school.  DD#2 got too picky as she got older, and I didn't make much for her until she was pregnant the first time.  DD#1 let me sew for her even when she was in the Navy.  I also sewed some really nice t-shirts for DS, and made him pull-on pants for dress and school, and then found a zip-front style that he looked nice in.  But---when he needed plus size I gave up sewing pants for him.

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2007, 04:02:19 PM »
The sailor dress is a stretch cotton red & white check gingham.  There were indeed marks on the collar that matched the shoulder seams, and a mark on the front bodice where the front tips of the collar ended.  I sometimes slip up & miss those things too, but you had posted about the collar here, so I paid attention.   ;) 

Then the back had some space between the collar pieces where it buttons. I used big red polka dot  buttons there since they were so visible.  You can kind of see the gap in this picture

I wish I could freeze the girls this size. It's too much fun sewing all these teensy dresses.

Offline neefer

• Acorns to Oaktrees
« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2007, 10:24:26 PM »
Some of my more recent efforts.

I was so sure that I had the alterations correct that I didn't leave anything to let out.

Live and learn.

Latest cheongsam t-shirt

Twist Top
Neefer

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2007, 11:05:23 PM »
Hi Neefer,

I enjoy seeing your latest projects!  That pink cheongsam top is especially eye-catching.  I like the color and style.

I am going to copy your post and put it in another topic, since this topic is about sewing children's clothing.  Here's the link to the new topic:

http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php/topic,4166.msg64178.html#msg64178

I hope you don't mind, Neefer.  I thought other sewists who don't often visit this children's sewing area might enjoy seeing your photos.   :)

Kathryn

Offline MaryPat

« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2008, 07:05:30 PM »

This is Maisie's Christmas dress. It is made from a silk plaid my mother gave me. The colours scream Christmas to me and there wasn't much, so the project kind of chose itself. I used a pattern I took from ready to wear for the bodice, then made the skirt pattern myself. I cut it on the bias to avoid dealing with the uneven-ness of the plaid. The picture was taken before the hem was done. Unfortunately I didn't get any other pictures. It was cute with a cream blouse under it and matching tights.

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2008, 07:15:49 PM »
Great job matching the plaid in the front!  It looks cute :)

Offline MaryPat

« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2008, 07:22:34 PM »
Tyanks Lyra. I love having someone with similar interests to share this with. The bodice is self lined with a really easy method. I know you like bindings, but do you ever self line them? If you do, I will can put some pictures up. The technique was from a book I bought when I only had nieces to sew for. Hmm, now who does that sound like?

Offline Sew-4-Fun (Ann)

• Sew 4 Fun (Ann)
    • Ann's Fashion Studio
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2008, 08:02:20 PM »
A Christmas dress was the perfect choice for this fabric. It looks great and very nice work on the plaid  :)

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2008, 09:44:40 AM »
What a cute little dress, Mary Pat!  I really like the bias layout of the skirt, too.  It adds a lot of visual interest.  I bet your DD will be sad to outgrow this pretty dress!

Kathryn

Offline nanners

« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2008, 10:25:57 AM »
Everything is so cute! I especially love the Christmas dress!

I am so kicking myself for nottaking pictures of the corderouy skirts and pants I mad me grand daughters. My mommade them all cardigans and I matched the corderouy to the sweaters. I will try posting a pic of the grandkids with my mom
Don't ride faster than your guardian angel!
                        Susan

Offline nanners

Susan

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2008, 02:32:50 PM »
Nanners, this link just gets us to the sign in page for Walmart photos.  Can you link us to the actual page that has the photos on it?  I'd love to see your outfits for your granddaughters!  :)

Kathryn

Offline nanners

« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2008, 05:39:39 PM »
I do not understand...it openswith a photo for me. They have the sweaters my mom made on but not the outfits. They did not have the yet.
                        Susan

Offline LindaF

• My Knitting Notebook
« Reply #99 on: January 05, 2008, 06:04:25 PM »
Nanners -
That maybe because you are probably logged into the website and it is reading a cookie.

Check the options or settings to make it public and it should work from there.

I am not totally familiar with this site, but most of the other sites work like this.
Linda
New granddaughter! - Ava Leigh at 7 months featured in my profile pic
My Knitting Notebook - My Knitting Blog
LMF Designs - StitchnCount applications for Blackberry and Apple

Offline cmarie12

• Diary of A Sewing Fanatic
« Reply #100 on: January 05, 2008, 06:30:54 PM »
Mary Pat ~ your daughter's dress is sooooo cute! And the fabric does seem Christmas...I am sure that she looked angelic in it!  I miss being able to sew for my DDs at that age...it was a good time in their lives!  Enjoy your daughter.

Nanners - I hope you get the photo straightened out...I would love to see the cardigans!
Carolyn
"I've always maintained that freedom of speech does not mean freedom from responsibility. Choose your words carefully ~ Susan”
My blog:  http://sewingfantaticdiary.blogspot.com/
My Flickr Albums

Offline MaryPat

« Reply #101 on: January 05, 2008, 07:32:06 PM »
Mary Pat ~ your daughter's dress is sooooo cute! And the fabric does seem Christmas...I am sure that she looked angelic in it! 

Carolyn, I am afraid that this kid does not look angelic in anything. She is a little monkey.
Kathyrn, I had to wrestle with her to get it on her. I don't think she will mind if she never wears it again. Sad, isn't it? I am so inspired by Lyra's lovely little nieces' loving the clothes she makes and then I get such rejection!
Nanners I would love to see your GD's outfits if you ever can show the pictures.
Thanks to everyone for your comments.
MP

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2008, 09:31:21 PM »
I had to laugh at that reply, my nieces are usually sweethearts and mostly love the stuff I make but they can be obnoxious little punks sometimes.   ;D  My main strategy to deal with that is the sticker stash in my sewing loft- when they don't want to try things on, I bribe them with elmo stickers which works like a charm. It helps that both nieces are sticker fanatics.   

Also, I take Kate fabric shopping me a lot to let her pick out projects to make for her so that she feels involved.  Her favorite thing EVER is the lace wall at MJ Trim in the city, and her second favorite is the baby fabric area at JoAnns.  In fact, I just spent the afternoon on a special request from her, a Disney princess flannel nightgown to match the Dora one from last week.  The main part is flannel from JoAnn's, the arms are a white jersey knit, and there's a little piece of white lace on the front and white piping between the front bodice & skirt part. Clearly designed by a 4 year old.

Offline BetsyV

« Reply #103 on: January 06, 2008, 01:52:01 AM »
That is really cute, Lyra! She has pretty good design sense for a 4 year-old, too. It's perfect.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: January 06, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »
That is really a great approach, Lyra, letting little Katie design her own nightgown.  You'll have a budding fashion designer on your hands before long, if you don't already.  Just think, when she's your age, she'll talk about going with her aunt to MJ Trims to choose embellishments from a very young age.  You're giving her such a wonderful start in fashion!

Kathryn
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 02:19:05 PM by fzxdoc »

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics