Author Topic: Love to see what others are making (for the under-13 set)  (Read 147652 times)

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
Re: Love to see what others are making (for the under-13 set)
« Reply #525 on: March 08, 2009, 05:47:10 AM »
Deidre, the dress for your granddaughter is beautiful.

Karen
what I am sewing  - http://kbenco.blogspot.com/

Offline Deirdre

« Reply #526 on: March 08, 2009, 06:28:25 PM »
Deidre, the dress for your granddaughter is beautiful.

Karen

Thank you Karen.  I finally did get a pleater for smocking and have a little dress pleated ready to smock, but it will have to wait until we get back from our trip.   Thanks for your help on the smocking!

Deirdre

Offline stashpanache

• Stash's Sewing Blog
« Reply #527 on: March 19, 2009, 03:04:21 PM »
Deirdre,

When I posted about the link, I see I forgot to tell you how gorgeous the dress is.  It is exquisite.  I am so sorry I did not tell you that? ;D

Cheers, Stash

"All things are literally better, lovelier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."  John Ruskin 

"Do all you can with what you have, in the time you have, in the place you are"  Nikosi Johnson

http://sewstashwazzup.blogspot.com/

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #528 on: March 19, 2009, 05:10:47 PM »
Where is Lyra these days? I haven't seen any of her amazing Auntie Creations in quite a while.

I fell off the internet for a month or so due to some crazy stuff.  Still sewing, though- I made a cute matching pink cord dress & jacket for Kate recently.  The photos are just trapped on my digital camera.

Offline Karendee

« Reply #529 on: March 19, 2009, 05:20:51 PM »
Lyra,

Well, we missed you and glad you're back!

Karen

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #530 on: March 21, 2009, 05:44:35 PM »
Here's some hanger photos of Kate's dress and a coordinating one for Ana.  I need to take the jacket to Jonathan embroidery and have buttonholes made, and Ana's dress needs to be hemmed still.

Kate's outfit.  The jacket is BWOF 01-2009-134.

Just the dress

Fancy stitching on the sleeve

Back pleat on the jacket. It was hanging weird on the hanger so it looks kind of wrinkly here

Jacket is lined with flannel

And this is ana's coordinating dress

Offline stashpanache

• Stash's Sewing Blog
« Reply #531 on: March 21, 2009, 10:30:20 PM »
Yay!!  Lyra is back!! :confettitoss:  In fine form, too I say!  Darling dress and jacket as always.  I love seeing your things.

Stash
"All things are literally better, lovelier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."  John Ruskin 

"Do all you can with what you have, in the time you have, in the place you are"  Nikosi Johnson

Offline Karendee

« Reply #532 on: March 21, 2009, 10:34:44 PM »
All's well; Lyra is back showing us the adorable clothes for the "girls." These outfits are TDF, as usual. I ditto Stash!

Karen

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #533 on: March 21, 2009, 10:46:04 PM »
Awww. I'm happy I have time for sewing again!

Kate was very excited about modeling today even though she's sick, so I got a few pictures of the pink dresses, and another quick dress I made up this afternoon.  Just put photos of that  (Butterick 4117) on my blog. There's a very nice sweetheart neckline on that pattern, so I'm sure I'll be pulling it out a lot as a bodice option.  And I traced off a smaller size for Ana as well, so I might make a coordinating blue dress for her soon.   ;D  I have some white eyelet with blue embroidery I could use for the skirt, and a bit of the blue floral print from Katie Jump Rope line by Denise Schmidt for the bodice.

Anyway, here's the pink outfits:

Offline MaryPat

« Reply #534 on: March 23, 2009, 01:34:11 PM »
Lyra-The girls look so cute and very pleased with their outfits.
I am glad you are back!
Deirdre- gorgeous little dress!

Online fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #535 on: March 23, 2009, 01:50:32 PM »
Lyra, I'm happy to see that you're back in the sewing saddle again.  Your little models look as adorable as ever in their new finery!

Kathryn

Offline Karendee

« Reply #536 on: March 23, 2009, 04:22:47 PM »
Those dolls, Anna and Kate, will always give Lyra and their public a smile. Even if they are not feeling well. They are just TOO CUTE!

Karen

Offline Claudine

• Photos
« Reply #537 on: March 27, 2009, 08:27:56 PM »
Lyra, I can't believe all the clothes you make for your neices!  You need to watch out that you don't ever walk through the door without fantastic outfits for them.  You won't be able to handle the look of disappointment on their faces.

I've just finished dresses with coordinating capes for my daughters.  They turned out well, and I hope to get the girls to wear them occasionally.

Here's a blog entry with more info:
http://couturedetails.blogspot.com/2009/03/bee-dresses.html

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #538 on: March 27, 2009, 08:34:51 PM »
Those dresses are TOO CUTE.  I love the colors -they're perfect for the girls.  ;D  Want to make one my size for me?   ;)

I have a copy of that Girly Style japanese pattern book, but so far all I've done is take it out & look at it. The pattern sheet is kind of intimidating me... I can handle something like a patrones ninos pattern sheet, but the Girly Style one has me totally baffled about what pieces go with what.

Offline Karendee

« Reply #539 on: March 27, 2009, 10:16:44 PM »
Claudine,

The girls' capes and dresses are adorable. I have enjoyed watching the girls grow up with their spring coats annually. I still love the silk coats with pink net tutus the first yr. I read your posts. The girls are lovely and are indeed growing up.

Karen

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #540 on: March 28, 2009, 12:02:16 AM »
Lyra

These are fantastic.  I'm not surprised at the happy faces and smiles of your models.  I'm glad that they appreciate your genius.

Offline stashpanache

• Stash's Sewing Blog
« Reply #541 on: March 28, 2009, 12:27:48 AM »
Claudine,

Gorgeous!!  Beautiful garments and beautiful children.  ;D

I want to read further regarding your 4 layer bias method?  Not sure exactly what you are referring to  but want to find out.

Stash

Online fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #542 on: March 28, 2009, 03:27:39 AM »
I like the way you reversed the public sides for the two dresses, Claudine, letting the girls be similar but different in fabric and style. The neckline trim on Pasquale's dress and the trim for the capes is wonderful, and so nicely done.  Is Josephine's neckline and sleeve heads gathered with elastic thread?  Nice pattern match on the pockets, too!

Is there a bee pattern on the capes' buttons, perhaps?

Thanks for sharing this project--you do such beautiful work that it is always a pleasure to see what you've been up to.

Kathryn

Offline Claudine

• Photos
« Reply #543 on: March 28, 2009, 07:44:32 AM »
Thanks, everyone, for the nice comments.  Kathryn, the smaller dress is gathered with elastic.  I don't have a zig zag machine, so I couldn't just sew over elastic thread and pull it. I sewed the elastic to the wrong side of the dress.  The buttons are sparkly, but no bees.

Lyra, I, too, have been around the block a few times as far as patterns go, and Girly Style has the most confusing pattern sheet I've ever encountered.  When I finally found the line I wanted, I ended up tracing over it right on the pattern sheet so I could see what I wanted to trace onto the tracing paper.  I made another dress with a different Japanese book, and the pattern sheet was much more simple to use.  I'm not sure which is more the norm among Japanese pattern books.

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #544 on: March 28, 2009, 09:35:51 PM »
I'm glad that I'm really not just being stupidly intimidated by the Girly Style patternsheet then!   ;D

Instead I went and traced a much easier pattern last night- the bubble skirt kids dress in Knipmode May 2008. Not that, you know, I need another bubble skirt dress pattern, but I wanted to see how poufy this would really be. The answer is- quite poufy.   8)  I also like that it's lined, so there was need for any seam finishes except the waist seam.  It was really easy to put together- I think from tracing to finishing it up was about 2.5 hours.

Here's the dress:

And on Kate, checking out the skirt pouf.  It's a sleeveless dress, she was just trying it on over her tshirt layers.

By the way, the fabric is from JoAnns.  It shrunk a ton after I washed it in hot water, but I love the wild print on it.

Online fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #545 on: March 28, 2009, 11:28:51 PM »
Love the fabric, love the style, love the model's panache wearing it, Lyra.  That pouf should be fun for Kate to dance around in.

Kathryn

Offline stashpanache

• Stash's Sewing Blog
« Reply #546 on: March 29, 2009, 04:35:05 AM »
Oh, Lyra!!!  I DO love that dress!!  WINNER DRESS and WINNER GIRL!!  And, WINNER AUNT!!  :confettitoss: Now I must look for a pouf skirt for my KK!! ;D

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #547 on: March 29, 2009, 05:32:46 AM »
Gosh!  I've missed so much! 

lyra,  Your dresses are just adorable, as are your nieces, of course.  I think that bubble skirt is the cutest one I've ever seen, or maybe Katie is the right age for bubble skirts.  :)

Claudine,  As always, you've done a gorgeous job.  Love the contrasting right sides, and the details are just darling.  Very, very cute, and I hope they'll wear them a lot.

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #548 on: March 29, 2009, 11:46:48 AM »
Oh, Lyra!!!  I DO love that dress!!  WINNER DRESS and WINNER GIRL!!  And, WINNER AUNT!!  :confettitoss: Now I must look for a pouf skirt for my KK!! ;D

Stash, "The Handmade Dress" has a really adorable bubble dress pattern. It's the ""Miss Lily" pattern here:
http://thehandmadedress.net/SewingPatterns.htm

You can make a bubble skirt out of any A-line skirt pattern though. You need an a-line shape that you'd cut on the fold for the inner front & back. It should fit well at the waist -not too tight, but not really gathered either- and go to about 2 inches above the knee.  Then make a copy of that skirt pattern for the outer bubble.  You want to make this one much wider, so it will gather at the waist and then about 3 or 4 inches longer. Same pattern piece for the front & for the back.

You sew the side seams of both pieces, then gather the bottom of the outer skirt piece and sew it to the bottom of the inner skirt piece.  Then gather the top of the outer skirt piece, baste it to the top of the inner skirt, and sew on a bodice.  Viola, bubble!

Offline jodiwell

• My Blog
« Reply #549 on: March 29, 2009, 05:02:58 PM »
Lyra,  I LOVE that bubble dress!  How fun to have a child to sew for!

Claudine, The capes and dresses for your daughters are just too wonderful!  I read your blog and really, really like Pascale's dress and your use of the reverse print.  Your method of applying bias on the cape is the same I use on necklines of smocked bishop dresses.  It definately reduces stretching the bias and practically eliminates rippling when turning.  And you don't have to turn a raw edge under.  I like that the best :-)

Both of you better be keeping photo diaries of all of these cute clothes! 

jodi

Offline Karendee

« Reply #550 on: March 29, 2009, 08:17:05 PM »
Lyra,

I think this picture "takes the cake" The middle picture of Kate with her hair pulled back practicing her ballet in her bubble dress is just too beautiful. That same look would make a wonderful "portrait." It seems that you are somehow trained in photography---am I remembering correctly. I have a new chore for you. How about a black /white or sepia toned pic. of Kate in that pose in the new dress? Is even use this same picture enlarged in black and white. Wow, that would be beautiful in the right frame. IMO.

Karen

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #551 on: March 30, 2009, 10:51:03 PM »
Here is a project that didn't quite work.  I made up the size 24 months Boy's one piece suit from Sew Beautiful Jan 2008.  Tom wears a few things in size 24m now, although he has kind of short legs so things tend to need to be hemmed for him in that size.  I didn't want this to be too little, so I figured I'd just hem up the legs.  Well... it's huge. You can't tell from the photo but the inseam is down below his knees.  ::)  Ah well, he's growing fast & it will fit at some point.

One detail photo- I did the sleeve cuff on the bias:

This is a really nice pattern, if anyone has that issue.  I left off the weird yoke/collar thing that you were supposed to embroider. After that it's just a nice basic button-back one piece boys outfit.

Offline Martha Domke

« Reply #552 on: March 31, 2009, 04:58:48 AM »
Lyra, that is an adorable outfit, and also a beautiful child.  Your nieces and nephew are such charming children, and lucky to have you to sew such wonderful clothes for them.

Offline jodiwell

• My Blog
« Reply #553 on: April 02, 2009, 03:05:04 AM »
Lyra,

Your suit for Tom (and what a doll he is!) reminded me of one I made for my son years ago.  It's called Little formalities and is really versitile for little guys.  My son wore a formal version as ring bearer in my neices wedding and I used the pattern several times as gifts for friends sons.  I changed cumberbund colors on my son's formal one from pink (wedding) to red for Christmas and it got a lot of wear.  Lots of room for applique, machine embroidery, smocking and adapts well to fun fabrics.

jodi

Offline Karendee

« Reply #554 on: April 02, 2009, 03:54:48 PM »
Lyra,

Little Tom is such a handsome young man. It killed me not to say he's beautiful. What glorious nieces and nephew!

Karen

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #555 on: April 12, 2009, 11:00:18 PM »
I keep telling my sister that I'm going to keep Tom for myself. He's a sweetie, for sure.   ;D  My brain is fried, but here's two quick pictures of easter dresses.

(I didn't make my dress, that's an Isaac Mizrahai dress from Target under the sweater ;) )

Offline BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
« Reply #556 on: April 12, 2009, 11:01:59 PM »
Really adorable, Lyra! You too  ;)

Online fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #557 on: April 13, 2009, 12:40:39 PM »
Great photo, Lyra, and cute dresses too--on all of you!

Kathryn

Offline Karendee

« Reply #558 on: April 13, 2009, 04:18:44 PM »
Lyra,

Those little blue dresses are TDF. I especially like the lush, full look of the fabric and details. You three are just lovely in your Spring attire.

Karen

Offline MaryPat

« Reply #559 on: April 15, 2009, 09:48:29 PM »
Yay- the stars must be in alignment. I have a computer that is working and lets me log in! My children are otherwise occupied. Hurray!!
This will be quick so I can post before I lose everything. Here is Maisie's Easter dress (well, jumper really) with a bunny embroidery from www.emblibrary.com
ETA: I found it to be very dense and hard to stitch out. I had planned to add some hand embroidered flowers but couldn't stitch through it at all so I added the little green ribbon bow. I also did a quick run of stem stitches in green along the bias neck binding to tie it together. The top was a lucky find on her shelf. That and the tights worked out well for a rather last minute unplanned dress. She wore it all day, but told me she didn't want to wear it again. I hitnk her dad told her she had to wear it for Easter or she couldn't eat any chocolate.

She was trying to tie a piece of plastic Easter grass onto the handle of the basket. Look at the determination on that little face!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 09:55:51 PM by MaryPat »

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics Your Button Shop