Author Topic: Love to see what others are making (for the under-13 set)  (Read 154196 times)

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
Re: Love to see what others are making (for the under-13 set)
« Reply #455 on: January 01, 2009, 08:35:54 AM »
A long time ago, I read somewhere that you should spend New Year's Day doing things you really like doing, and want to do all year. I thought this was a great plan, so today, I spent the day with my family (aside from a few hours work but those don't count!), I went kayaking with my family, and I sewed this shirt for my son from BWOF September 2008. It is a cross between shirt 142 and shirt 143, which are remarkably similar.

Next I plan to make Mango mimosa, the recipe for which I found on Cidell's blog, whilst my daughters make dinner. I hope every day this year is just as good. Happy New Year to everyone.
Karen
what I am sewing  - http://kbenco.blogspot.com/

Offline Zoubida

« Reply #456 on: January 01, 2009, 03:29:12 PM »
Fantastic shirt for a young man Karen ! I'm sure he just LOVES it. The prints on the fabric are just too cool.
Because of the clothing restrictions many women had to abandon their dreams of a romantic wedding dress. Most couples, like this stylish pair married in 1940, managed for a new suit and dress that could be worn again for Sunday best, and smartened up the overall effect with a flower corsage and a fashionable hat.
From book by Patricia Baker "Fashions of a decade - The 1940s"

Offline CarolynB

« Reply #457 on: January 01, 2009, 06:33:17 PM »
What a fun shirt Karen.  Love the fabric.

Did you use real mangos or tinned pulp for your mimosa?   I remember being up in Mt. Isa when the mangos were in season and taking several boxes of them back to Sydney.  I had so many mangos I didn't know what to do with them, and the house smelled of mango for weeks on end  ;D  The mangos we get in my area of the US just don't taste the same to me. 

My father grew up in Brisbane and told stories of how he and his brother used to collect sugar bags full of mangos they used to pick up off the ground.  I still have rels living in the Brisbane area (as well as Sydney) but haven't been back to Oz for more than three years now.  Every time I think of that flight I almost break out in hives  :o

Your days sounds perfect.
Caro

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #458 on: January 01, 2009, 07:14:24 PM »
It is mango season at the moment, and in my backyard is a mango tree, so I use pulp. I am very fussy about mangoes, and only really like the Bowen type (sometimes called Kensington Pride). The different varieties of mangoes taste very different to me, for example R2 mangoes taste like turpentine IMO! and I only make chutney from the stringy common mangoes. My mum lives near a suburb of Brisbane called Mango Hill, after the street trees, these are common mangoes, and people still come to collect bags of them from the roadside. The mimosa was rather good!

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #459 on: January 01, 2009, 08:25:37 PM »
Great shirt Karen, and he looks so happy with it.  I'm interested in all the mango talk.  I've never been impressed with the mangoes and mango-flavored things I've had, but I know it's supposed to be the most popular fruit in the world, and I've always just assumed that since we only get the flown-in kind, they don't taste like they should.  Fresh off the tree is always best for any fruit.

Offline BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
« Reply #460 on: January 01, 2009, 08:31:15 PM »
Cute shirt, Karen!

I have a great Beef with Mango recipe that we love. It uses not too ripe mangoes. I actually have a vicious, serrated knife which will cut through the seed, making it easier to get somewhat uniform slices of mango. Of course, I have no idea what KIND of mango we might get here. Whatever travels well ...

Offline CarolynB

« Reply #461 on: January 02, 2009, 02:01:28 AM »
Karen, interesting to hear about the varieties of mangos.  Glad you enjoyed your mimosa  ;D 
Caro

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #462 on: January 02, 2009, 09:01:18 AM »
I made another version of BWOF 2008-9-143 today. This one is in a slightly softer quilting fabric, and I have lengthened the shirt and reduced the collar and collar stand height. I like this one better, but my son is not terribly impressed at having to model for me two days in a row.

Karen

Offline ruthc

• Talking nonsense on my blog
« Reply #463 on: January 02, 2009, 10:59:52 AM »
Great shirts Karen

Gran Canaria was bursting with mangos which were used in public spaces too but I don't think that they would do so well in the Alps.

A chef once showed me a great and easy mango sauce - basically mango reduced with some balsamic vinegar sloshed in, it goes really well with grilled chicken.

Offline Karendee

« Reply #464 on: January 02, 2009, 04:22:31 PM »

Karen,

You're amazing. A shirt a day plus some work,  water sports and activities with  the family. You certainly make the most of your 24 hrs. day. Congratulations on the darling shirt/son.

Karen

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #465 on: January 02, 2009, 04:58:11 PM »
As Karendee said, Congratulations on the darling shirt and the darling son!   :D  I like the collar height on this shirt better for an everyday shirt.  I wonder if he will find it more comfortable too?  You really are fast, and obviously much better organized than I.

Offline CarolynB

« Reply #466 on: January 02, 2009, 08:03:25 PM »
Great shirt Karen, and cute model.

Ruth, I must make a note of that mango sauce idea, sounds lovely.  It will come in handy in the summer when we throw some chicken on the barbie  ;D

Caro

Offline CarolynB

« Reply #467 on: January 06, 2009, 01:58:02 PM »
Stash, I looked in the Simplicity catalog online and couldn't see the Cinderella dress.  Do you by any chance have the number handy?  Thinking I'd like to make this for my DGD's 3rd birthday later this year. 
Thanks,
Caro

Offline MaryPat

« Reply #468 on: January 23, 2009, 07:33:31 PM »
This isn't much, but no one has been posting so I had to post something!
I am working on a few costumes for my little girl who will be three in February. My husband hasn't had much work lately, so everything will be home made and from stash. Fortunately there is quite a large stash to choose from. I knew I would need it one day.
So far I have made a cape out of the swirly Minkee fabric. She loves purple and I chose a pale pink to line it. Her big brother chose the pink sequinned trim for it. He has been a big help.
Here it is:

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #469 on: January 23, 2009, 09:23:07 PM »
Your model is too funny  ;D. Maisie's cape is sure to be a huge success, it is so pretty. Capes have been the most worn items in my children's dress up box, they are so versatile - everyone from royal personages to wizards to super heroes need capes.
Karen

Offline MaryPat

« Reply #470 on: January 23, 2009, 11:02:55 PM »
Your model is too funny  ;D. Maisie's cape is sure to be a huge success, it is so pretty. Capes have been the most worn items in my children's dress up box, they are so versatile - everyone from royal personages to wizards to super heroes need capes.
Karen
Thanks Karen.
It is good to know about the capes. She asked for a red one yesterdy and I didn't know if it made sense to make two.

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #471 on: January 24, 2009, 04:23:00 AM »
Very cute MaryPat.  I'll bet it's really cozy too in that Minky fabric.  I always have to pet that stuff in the fabric store, but I've never figured out just what I'd use it for, for me.  I don't need a cape, darn it!  ;D

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #472 on: January 24, 2009, 11:37:22 AM »
I want a Minkee swirly cape!  Just kidding.  Maybe in my next lifetime.  The cape is really cute, Mary Pat.  I bet your DD won't want to take it off.

BTW, I hope your DH gets more work soon.  It's a tough world out there right now.

Kathryn

Offline Zoubida

« Reply #473 on: January 24, 2009, 01:13:40 PM »
Lovely cape MaryPat. The pink sequin is a wonderful choice of triming.

Like Liana I always look and pet the minkee stuff at the fabric store but never find a use for ut. You gave me an idea for my nieces.

I wish you all more work for your husband.

Because of the clothing restrictions many women had to abandon their dreams of a romantic wedding dress. Most couples, like this stylish pair married in 1940, managed for a new suit and dress that could be worn again for Sunday best, and smartened up the overall effect with a flower corsage and a fashionable hat.
From book by Patricia Baker "Fashions of a decade - The 1940s"

Offline CarolynB

« Reply #474 on: January 24, 2009, 06:38:20 PM »
Mary Pat, I hope things pick up soon for your DH. 
I love the cape.  Your daughter is a little older than my DGD, so keep all those ideas coming.  I too pet the minkee everytime I come across it, but the only thing I could think to do with it was a blanket. My DGD also loves purple. Must be something to do with that age  ;D 
Caro

Offline Karendee

« Reply #475 on: January 24, 2009, 06:56:39 PM »
Mary Pat,

You are so talented! What an adorable cape for you Maisie. Keep these cute things coming, for I love to see them. Best of luck to DH; I know it's really hard for people in the workforce right now.

Karen

Offline stashpanache

• Stash's Sewing Blog
« Reply #476 on: January 26, 2009, 05:44:59 AM »
Just finished these cord short pants with cuffs and pockets for KK.  I had the hoodie shirt and needed pants to go with.  It is so nice not to have to make elastic waist pants all the way around.  These have elastic in the back and fit her really well.  Just the right amount of seat.  A TNT pattern with lots of variations.  Cord was in my stash.  Hard to see with this camera.  Someday I will get a good camera.

eta:  Changed photo per Betsy's good advice!!  Natural light.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 07:44:42 PM by stashpanache »
"All things are literally better, lovelier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."  John Ruskin 

"Do all you can with what you have, in the time you have, in the place you are"  Nikosi Johnson

http://sewstashwazzup.blogspot.com/

Offline BetsyV

« Reply #477 on: January 26, 2009, 12:51:24 PM »
Cute outfit Stash!

I often find if the light is pretty good, I turn the flash off. Since I often take photos of myself in the mirror anyway, this is a habit. It will reduce the glare and the over-exposed look.

Offline Karendee

« Reply #478 on: January 26, 2009, 04:48:29 PM »
Stash,

KK will be adorable in her new outfit! I agree that the pants are so much cuter with the elastic only in the back.

Karen

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #479 on: January 26, 2009, 05:24:05 PM »
Just darling, Stash!  She's going to be so cute in that, and I love the cuffs on the pants. :)

Offline CarolynB

« Reply #480 on: January 26, 2009, 06:15:03 PM »
Really cute Stash.  If you can make pants like this you won't have any trouble with those curtains  ;D  I also prefer little pants with the elastic in the back only - much less bulky.  What pattern did you use? 

Also, if you have a spare minute I'd much appreciate it if you could look up the number for the Cinderella dress.   I looked in the Simplicity catalogue online and couldn't find it.  I'd like to pick it up next time J's has a sale.   Thanks very much.

Caro

Offline stashpanache

• Stash's Sewing Blog
« Reply #481 on: January 26, 2009, 07:05:28 PM »
Caro,

I did post the Cinderella pattern somewhere?? ;D  I just went on the Simplicity site so I could show you a picture and they did not have it.  It must be out of print.  Anyway, it is Simplicity 2817 and has Cinderella and Snow White.  If you can't get that one, I am sure there is a McCall's Cinderella or maybe Butterick.  If you cannot find, please let me know.

The pants are Butterick 4845.  It is out of print, also.  Perhaps you could find it on Ebay?  I have had good luck there?  I cannot send you this one because I plan to use it for another year or two. :)  Photo from Butterick site.

eta: Betsy, I took another picture today and replaced the one in my post.  Good advice.  It was taken in natural light and it does show the true color better!

Stash
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 07:43:03 PM by stashpanache »
"All things are literally better, lovelier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."  John Ruskin 

"Do all you can with what you have, in the time you have, in the place you are"  Nikosi Johnson

Offline CarolynB

« Reply #482 on: January 26, 2009, 10:26:15 PM »
Stash, thank you very much for the pattern numbers.  I will try Ebay.   I just checked out your photo again and it is amazing what a difference you made.   I would like to make some pants for my DGD as she is tall for her age and to get them long enough, the waists are too big and they are constantly falling down. 
Thanks again,
Caro

Offline stashpanache

• Stash's Sewing Blog
« Reply #483 on: February 02, 2009, 06:39:29 PM »
I am posting this here instead of Knitting  because it is for an 8 year old little girl that I am teaching to knit.  This is her Valentine present.  For her BD in August, I will make her a knitting bag.  I put a few of my needles in for display purposes.  I did buy her some new needles and yarn that will be put with this in the box.  We are already working on dish cloths for her Mom and Grandmother for Mother's Day.  BTW, if anybody knows a good self-teaching knitting book appropriate for this age, I would really appreciate it.  Thank you.  As my Japanese SIL would say, "No matchy matchy".  I could not match up stripes or whatever..Double sided scraps in my stash. ;D

Stash

Offline BetsyV

« Reply #484 on: February 03, 2009, 01:15:11 AM »
Stash how cute!

And I anxiously await recommendations for the knitting book for an 8 year-old. My mom knit me a pair of socks for Christmas and when she sent the socks she included a pair of fat wooden knitting needles, leftover yarn from 3 other projects including my socks, and a scarf had been casted onto the needles.  :faintthud:

Offline stashpanache

• Stash's Sewing Blog
« Reply #485 on: February 03, 2009, 03:53:13 AM »
Betsy,

In the knitting thread, (I cross posted) Liana recommended this book shown on Amazon.  I plan to get it.  It must be OOP, but am sure you can get it on Ebay or other used book site.

http://www.amazon.com/Mary-Frances-Knitting-Crocheting-Book/dp/0875886604

Sounds like you cleaned up with the socks!!  Lucky you!! ;D

Offline Karendee

« Reply #486 on: February 03, 2009, 05:38:06 PM »
Stash,

The little knitting roll is absolutely beautiful. You do such beautiful work. The book Liana suggested looks great and quite age appropriate. I had some booklets  that I was going to recommend, but this book is much better. Your buddy  must love all the special attention you give her. Do you also tutor her? I know you eat with her, visit, etc. I just wondered how extensive your contact was. What a wonderful plan!

Karen

Offline stashpanache

• Stash's Sewing Blog
« Reply #487 on: February 03, 2009, 05:51:45 PM »
Hi Karen,

No, I don't tutor her.  I am strictly a mentor/companion.  My role is to show up and spend quality time with her.  I had a little boy for 3 years who graduated to middle school and it is fun to have a girl now.  She is a doll and seems to like this needle work thing.  If I had a small sewing machine, like a Janome Jem, I would take it to school and teach her to sew.  But, knitting is more portable and she likes it!! ;D

Stash

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #488 on: February 03, 2009, 07:18:46 PM »
Stash, I love that knitting roll.  I think any one of us would be glad to receive something as nice as that!  Glad you like the Mary Frances book, and do please report on it when you get it.  I've never actually seen it, it just always sounded so cute. :)

Offline stashpanache

• Stash's Sewing Blog
« Reply #489 on: February 03, 2009, 07:35:40 PM »
I ordered it and the charge has already gone through, so it must have been shipped.  Will let you know!!  ;D

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics