Author Topic: Love to see what others are making (for the under-13 set)  (Read 147694 times)

Offline ruthc

• Talking nonsense on my blog
Re: Love to see what others are making (for the under-13 set)
« Reply #385 on: November 30, 2008, 02:26:30 PM »
Karen,

We are off tomorrow on the 7.05 flight .  spare a thought for all the other passengers who will have to put up with a couple of overtired and frought parents with a tiny - possibly screaming - baby and a mewling cat!
We are staying with the inlaws for a couple of months until we get sorted.

Yes it has a been a bit of a demanding first three years of married life - not all smiles by a long way, but if we can survive this the rest should be easy!

Tīra for now, speak to you when I am in France!!

Offline BeeBee

• A Million Litte Threads
    • Pastiche
« Reply #386 on: November 30, 2008, 05:14:26 PM »
Bon Voyage.  Travel safe.

Online fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #387 on: November 30, 2008, 05:39:06 PM »
Traveling mercies, Ruth!

I'm just catching up on lots of older posts and have thoroughly enjoyed seeing all of the princess dresses and dresses for princesses (both in the same dress sometimes!).

You all make me long for a little one in the family once again to sew for--but not for a while.   ;D

Kathryn

Online Karendee

« Reply #388 on: November 30, 2008, 06:03:12 PM »

Ruthc,

Let us hear from you when you all get settled.  :nap:

Karen

Offline heatherbelle

« Reply #389 on: November 30, 2008, 11:43:40 PM »
Ruthc, all the best for your travelling - we moved from the UK to New Zealand when Nina was six months old and survived it! I'm sure you'll be back at the sewing machine in no time. I love the little outfit you made from your re-purposed top!

I have been sewing, a new party dress for Nina as I handed her 4th birthday dress down to her cousin Zoe. This is a much modified pretty basic New Look pattern:

The main fabric is a fabulous print cotton a friend brought back from a trip to Japan, here is a closeup:

I had a lot of fun making this and I made a matching hairband yahoo!

Happy sewing all, Heather.

Offline BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
« Reply #390 on: December 01, 2008, 12:21:29 AM »
Heather

that is really cute! I love the fabric! And Nina clearly lves her new dress, too

Online fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #391 on: December 01, 2008, 12:23:07 AM »
What a wonderful print you found, Heather.  Nina looks adorable in her new finery.  You did such a good job!

Kathryn

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #392 on: December 01, 2008, 12:38:43 AM »
Ruth, good luck with the journey! 
Heather, the dress is adorable.  Is it several fabrics pieced together, or is that the fabric design?  It looks really nice!

Online Karendee

« Reply #393 on: December 01, 2008, 06:14:31 PM »

Heather,

What a wonderful dress for your daughter! I love the fabric, the embellishment, and the DD's picture. :purple:

Karen

Offline Zoubida

« Reply #394 on: December 01, 2008, 09:14:35 PM »
Heather, this is so very cute. And Nina is adorable (and what a nice name!)
Because of the clothing restrictions many women had to abandon their dreams of a romantic wedding dress. Most couples, like this stylish pair married in 1940, managed for a new suit and dress that could be worn again for Sunday best, and smartened up the overall effect with a flower corsage and a fashionable hat.
From book by Patricia Baker "Fashions of a decade - The 1940s"

Offline heatherbelle

« Reply #395 on: December 04, 2008, 06:52:00 AM »
Thanks for all the nice comments!

Lyra, the dress is pieced together. Because Nina is skinny I made a size 4 which fits her but is too short - once it was made I just cut and added bands to the bottom until it looked right. Oh, and I pieced the bodice - I just cut the pattern horizontally (not the lining though) and added quarter-inch seams to the newly created seams.

I have also just made a simple apron for Nina's friend Sophie's birthday but I just love the fabric, most of the little girls are wearing aprons:

I got the fabric on the clearance table at my local Spotlight store, which is not a great shop but sometimes has great finds like this! The reverse is some dark blue denim with a blue floral print pocket (not seen in the photo).

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #396 on: December 04, 2008, 01:18:30 PM »
I love that fabric. Awwww.   ;D

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #397 on: December 04, 2008, 10:41:54 PM »
Heather, I love the pieced dress and the gorgeous reversible apron present. Your fabric choices are terrific. You are very good at finding treasures. Getting something like this at Spotlight shows great skill and/or dedication.  :).
what I am sewing  - http://kbenco.blogspot.com/

Online fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #398 on: December 06, 2008, 03:14:43 AM »
Cute little apron, Heather.

Kathryn

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #399 on: December 07, 2008, 12:32:22 AM »
This isn't a cute dress, but here's what Kate and I spent 6 hours on today:

It's a "last 3 weeks of advent" calendar, since the one from last year has gone missing.  I don't have it, my mom doesn't have it, my sister swears she doesn't have it (I'm sure she does, but I can't very well tear her house apart on her  ;) ).  So anyway, we dug through  my scrap bin and made up 20 new stockings to put ornaments and little treats in.  Kate had lots of fun with it, she was the official tracker of how many stockings we had made, and she kept them nicely organized all afternoon.  So nice to have a small helper to sort things out.   ;D There are a few more photos on my blog, but the picture above has all the stockings lined up.

I didn't use any patterns, just sort of drew them freehand with chalk on the material and straightened out a few curves with my french curves. It kind of looks more interesting with lots of different stocking shapes, although a few of them ended up kind of weird shaped- we just buried those behind the better looking ones.

Offline Robin

• a little sewing blog
« Reply #400 on: December 07, 2008, 01:21:14 AM »
lyra, that is amazingly cute and I am impressed that Kate can hang in for 6 hours of focused work.  Clearly, she is a budding genius.

Offline ruthc

« Reply #401 on: December 07, 2008, 08:36:50 AM »
hello

I was just showing DH this thread, his comments are:

Heatherbelles lil dude in the avatar - "cute"
Heatherbelles dude trousers - "I want some"
Izzy looks like me (if you look at the post in her blue jacket and pants and my new avi - me aged 1)
Kbencos orange smocking dress and pants - "nice!"

hes getting quite well trained.

Online Karendee

« Reply #402 on: December 07, 2008, 06:47:26 PM »
Ruth,

:rotfl: for DH's comments.

Lyra,

Absolutely darling stockings/advent calendar. Yes, you have  quite a helper.

Karen

Offline BeeBee

• Pastiche
« Reply #403 on: December 09, 2008, 02:52:13 AM »
So, finally, after all these many month's I have a picture of my niece in the dress I made for her.  It's been so long, that I made it for summer as sleeveless and she's wearing it as a jumper.   ;D  She's quite the ham.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 02:59:24 AM by BeeBee »

Offline Zoubida

« Reply #404 on: December 09, 2008, 05:04:13 AM »
She's adorable ! And the dress is perfect as a jumper. I love that the fabric you chose isn't baby-style or toddler-style. It is a grown-up fabric but it looks good on your little niece too. It's a refreshing twist on the cuteness (I should go to sleep, I can't even understand myself).

To make it short, it's a lovely dress and it looks fab on your adorable niece.
Because of the clothing restrictions many women had to abandon their dreams of a romantic wedding dress. Most couples, like this stylish pair married in 1940, managed for a new suit and dress that could be worn again for Sunday best, and smartened up the overall effect with a flower corsage and a fashionable hat.

Offline BeeBee

• Pastiche
« Reply #405 on: December 09, 2008, 11:43:53 AM »
I made it from the scraps of a dress I made for me.  It may be a quilting cotton, though I didn't get it out of the quilting section.  It's really soft, not stiff.  For my dress, I could have used more body.  For her it was perfect.  She was cute, kept pulling at it saying 'Beeee may'  "Beeee may".  I translated that into "beth made" ;D  don't know for sure, but it worked for me. ;)

Online Karendee

« Reply #406 on: December 09, 2008, 05:18:04 PM »

BB,

What a doll in her new dress! Your niece is beautiful and the jumper/dress is adorable on her. You must make her a gorgeous Christmas dress in velvet. Don't you love how I give you projects to do while you are out searching for a new home in a different location? LOL. Anyway, job well done on the jumper.

Karen

Offline stashpanache

• Stash's Sewing Blog
« Reply #407 on: December 10, 2008, 03:58:56 AM »
I hope one of these days I can catch a picture of my KK actually wearing what I make for her.  In the meantime, here is a simple pair of knit jammies.  She calls this her ballerina (which she cannot pronounce very well) fabric.  It was a mill end at a local fabric store.  This is to show off the fabric, which is so cute IMHO.  Don't you adore little girls??  eta: They are for Christmas.  She snooped and saw the fabric (What's this?) before I hid it but she has not seen the jammies.

Stash

« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 04:04:35 AM by stashpanache »
"All things are literally better, lovelier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."  John Ruskin 

"Do all you can with what you have, in the time you have, in the place you are"  Nikosi Johnson

http://sewstashwazzup.blogspot.com/

Offline ruthc

« Reply #408 on: December 10, 2008, 08:30:47 AM »
Stash those are lovely jammies I am sure your KK will adore them and they will keep her toasty warm too.

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #409 on: December 10, 2008, 01:43:09 PM »
Awww... cute!  Where did you get the fabric from?  It's a very cute little print.

Offline BetsyV

« Reply #410 on: December 10, 2008, 01:57:17 PM »
These kids clothes etc are just so much fun to look at!

Heatherbelle - really cute apron
BeeBee your neice is adorable. How nice she already recognizes the value of a "Beeee may" outfit!
Lyra I love the stocking/advent calendar idea. And what a great way to occupy Kate for hours.
Stash such cute jammies for your KK

Online Karendee

« Reply #411 on: December 10, 2008, 06:04:02 PM »
Stash,

I love KK's precious pjs. They are beautifully made and I love the soft looking fabric with the ballerina print. Yes, I love little girl clothes and have said before that I'd love grandchildren to sew for. My son (26 ) has not found the right woman to share his life with, so I'll have to wait. This is certainly my problem not my sons, and I'm careful to not mention this. I just want to be able to walk and get around when I have a grandchild. LOL!

Karen

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #412 on: December 10, 2008, 08:05:44 PM »
Lyra, I like your 3 last weeks of advent calendar, I was planning an advent calender this year too, but it has not happened - do you think a "last week of advent" calendar would go down well? I suppose the children would prefer it to "no advent calendar" which is their other option. We owned one that my Mum made but ours seems to have vanished too. Perhaps it is the sewing gremlins, or maybe I threw it out last year because it had holes in it, and have forgotten  ;D.

Bee Bee, the dress looks great as a winter pinafore. Your niece sounds suitably appreciative, a very good move on her part.

Stash the pjs are very sweet. I like the lettuce hems, and the fabric is just right for warm, yet girlie pjs.

I am making another version of Sunshine. It is very slow again, but the arm bands look better because I have interfaced them to almost cardboard status, and clipped the seams to within a mm of their life. I guess I was not happy with the previous armbands.

Karen

Offline stashpanache

• Stash's Sewing Blog
« Reply #413 on: December 10, 2008, 09:30:37 PM »
Karendee,

KK is my only grandchild.  She was born when I was almost 63.  Her mother was 41.  I do not know why, but my children are marrying VERY late.  No doubt, you will have one sooner!  If not, I can still get around and get down on the floor and play with her so there is hope for you!!!  ;D
"All things are literally better, lovelier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."  John Ruskin 

"Do all you can with what you have, in the time you have, in the place you are"  Nikosi Johnson

Offline MaryPat

« Reply #414 on: December 10, 2008, 10:36:37 PM »
So much cute stuff here!
Heather, I love the dress and apron.
Stash- those are adorable jammies for KK. I must remember that edge finish next time I make some. I am glad you are close to your DGD.
I was 40 when my daughter was born and at first my mother wanted nothing to do with her. She claimed there was no point, since my daughter would not remember her. She is better about it now though.
Lyra, the advent calendar is so cute and it must have been fun with your niece (or at least for your niece!).
BeeBee- that is another cute niece in another cute creation. I am glad you finally got a picture.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 10:38:44 PM by MaryPat »

Offline Zoubida

« Reply #415 on: December 10, 2008, 11:39:27 PM »
So comfortable and cute jammies Stash. I'm sure she'll love them. The ballerina theme is so girly-girl and at that age, they love girly-girl things.

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #416 on: December 11, 2008, 02:30:29 AM »
My first daughter was born when my mother was 50, and I was 23. My mother did not want much to do with my daughters when they were little, as she claimed she was too young to be a grandmother. I guess you can't win either way! My mother has much more to do with my son, who came along 7 and 1/2 years later, and with my brother's children, who are presently 3 and under. She has so much fun with them that I think she regrets not making more time for my daughters as small girls.

Here is my next niece Christmas present (I am the only Auntie on this side, so I go a bit over the top with girlie things). It is another version of "Sunshine" from Australian Smocking and Embroidery. I have made knit shorts rather than bloomers, as more suitable for a 2 and a bit year old. The ruffle at the bottom of the shorts is the same shade as the armhole fabric, but for some reason it looks different in the photo.

Edited to fix link

Karen

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 02:32:29 AM by kbenco »

Offline Zoubida

« Reply #417 on: December 11, 2008, 02:39:44 AM »
Karen, this is sooooo adorable !!! :D The details are admirable. That's just perfect.

Offline BetsyV

« Reply #418 on: December 11, 2008, 02:54:27 AM »
Really cute Karen! You are very fast with your smocking!

Offline stashpanache

• Stash's Sewing Blog
« Reply #419 on: December 11, 2008, 03:42:40 AM »
So adorable, Karen!!

Does smocking go pretty fast?  I have never done it.

Stash

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics Your Button Shop