Author Topic: Love to see what others are making (for the under-13 set)  (Read 153788 times)

Offline LauraS.

Re: Love to see what others are making (for the under-13 set)
« Reply #315 on: October 28, 2008, 01:00:08 PM »
Karen, this is gorgeous.

laura

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #316 on: October 28, 2008, 03:19:16 PM »
It's so much fun to come to this thread and look at all the darling little things you're all making!

Ruth, Darling baby and darling things you're making for her.  Somehow I see a large wardrobe in her future..... ;D

Lyra,  Very cute Halloween dresses, and I remember putting off bedtime too.  I think I still do that.  ;) 

Karen,  Your smocking is always so nice, and this little top looks like such fun, both to make and for your niece to wear!  Our local Sewing Guild's program next month is a smocking trunk show and mini-class for us.  We all are to bring a #8 crewel needle, floss and shears, and I think everyone's very excited.  I am anyway.  :)

Offline Karendee

« Reply #317 on: October 28, 2008, 05:39:27 PM »

Karen,

The smocked dress for your niece is beautiful. I love the color, and of course your handwork is TDF. I was reading a catalogue last night and thought of you. There were three upscale silk blouses with smocking on the neckline, and one had cuffs and a waistband on the sheer silk smocked. It was so smart looking, quite sophisticated. These were all abstract, looking  printed sheer silks with quite a bit of metallic in them. Gorgeous.

Karen

Offline GGC

« Reply #318 on: October 28, 2008, 11:44:33 PM »
OMG I LOVE everyone's items! Too cute! The Halloween, the smockings, gosh I LOVE them all! :) And Lyra, I think you should try to sell your garments, they are so cute and chic :).

Here's my latest, I have one more but still waiting for the pics from my model.

And one lame attempt on graphic tee lol :)

Ning

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #319 on: October 29, 2008, 12:26:52 AM »
Really darling, Ning!  You come up with the most unusual and appealing ideas.  :)

Offline Karendee

« Reply #320 on: October 29, 2008, 03:32:02 PM »
Wonderful garments, Ning! Your work is just beautiful.

Karend

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #321 on: October 29, 2008, 04:27:22 PM »
that green dress has such embellishment.  is that an applique or painted?

thank you for the comments on ana's little dress.  can't wait until she can wear it to our halloween brunch.  pumpkin waffles!!!  ;D

Offline GGC

« Reply #322 on: October 29, 2008, 04:40:45 PM »
Thanks everyone :). The fern on the green dress is applique.

Ning

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #323 on: October 29, 2008, 08:40:07 PM »
Ning, the children's clothes are really interesting, and beautiful. The photography is terrific too!
what I am sewing  - http://kbenco.blogspot.com/

Offline stashpanache

• Stash's Sewing Blog
« Reply #324 on: October 31, 2008, 10:07:42 PM »
I am reading the rolled hem thread before I tackle the hem but Cinderella dress all done except for final press and hem.

It is a little big so she can wear it a couple of years I hope.  She is 3 & .

The first photo taken last night and the second in the daylight to see the color better.  The sleeves and poufy thing on the hips are sparkly but you can't see the sparkles in the photos.

This is for Christmas.  Not Holloween.

eta Christmas comment

Stash

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 10:25:48 PM by stashpanache »
"All things are literally better, lovelier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."  John Ruskin 

"Do all you can with what you have, in the time you have, in the place you are"  Nikosi Johnson

http://sewstashwazzup.blogspot.com/

Offline Karendee

« Reply #325 on: October 31, 2008, 10:38:47 PM »
Stash,

The dress is lovely. Thanks for sharing it with us. I'd love to see your DGD in it.

Karen

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #326 on: October 31, 2008, 10:44:31 PM »
Awwww. Such a great sparkly cinderella outfit!

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #327 on: October 31, 2008, 11:07:31 PM »
Ooh Stash, she will not want to take it off!

I am in the throes of planning a princess dress for my niece as a 4th birthday present. Your dress looks just the thing! I love the extra puffy bits on the sides of the skirt. I am sure there is a technical name for these, but it escapes me. :)
I have some pink and yellow chiffon (sort of blending stripes) and some glossy pink rose printed mystery synthetic that I think would just appeal to a 4 year old glamour girl. Yesterday I was incredibly lucky, and found a poufy dress pattern in the second hand book shop for 10c - I hope my dress turns out as pretty as the one for your granddaughter!
Karen

Offline stashpanache

• Stash's Sewing Blog
« Reply #328 on: November 01, 2008, 03:43:29 AM »
I found some glass (sort of) slippers today.

Stash

"All things are literally better, lovelier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."  John Ruskin 

"Do all you can with what you have, in the time you have, in the place you are"  Nikosi Johnson

http://sewstashwazzup.blogspot.com/

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #329 on: November 01, 2008, 10:34:58 PM »
Aww, glass slippers!

I tried getting some photos of Ana's little princess dress, but she didn't have her leg braces on today so it was a bit tricky.  Her dress is made up from a bunch of scraps I had floating around, and I just invented a bit of a pattern as I went.  I wanted a high yoke, and it had to be only just below knee length or she wouldn't be able to use her walker.  I liked the tulle in the hem of her jumper so much that I did that again.  The bodice trim is a ribbon scrap and the last piece of gold braid left from Kate's dress. 

And another one of my two nieces. Much sadness over something, but they were ok 5 minutes later. Kids. 

Offline Karendee

« Reply #330 on: November 01, 2008, 11:10:14 PM »
Adorable outfits and kids. I love the little pout on Ana's face. I'm sure the problem was short lived, but it's funny watching from this side of the computer. I know how much you enjoy the girls (and boy) and they are so lucky to have your Auntie devotion.

Karen

Offline BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
« Reply #331 on: November 02, 2008, 01:03:44 AM »
They're adorable, Lyra. It really looks like Kate takes her job as big sister very seriously!

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #332 on: November 03, 2008, 12:37:07 AM »
She does indeed. Poor kid. Ana takes so much attention from everyone because of her health problems, and Kate kind of gets the short end of the stick.  She's very protective of her little sister most of the time.

So has anyone made a kids drindl outfit?  I bough a vintage Vogue pattern for a size 6 drindl style dress, with the little pinafore type overpiece. (It's vogue 1825 and seems to be from about the 1970s or early 1980s.)  It looks adorable, but I'm not sure how to make the eyelet openings for the front lacing. I wonder if I should just sew on a ribbon and not worry about making it really lace up. Hmmm...

Offline BeeBee

• A Million Litte Threads
    • Pastiche
« Reply #333 on: November 03, 2008, 12:41:02 AM »
For a child, I'd likely just pretend lace it.  Does your machine have an eyelet stitch?  Just a round button hole.  You could use that, make it twice to be sturdy.  How cute!  What colors are you thinking of? 

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #334 on: November 03, 2008, 01:53:07 AM »
Darling as always, Lyra.  :)  If you don't have an eyelet stitch, you can just use a very small buttonhole.  I'd put it horizontally, but I don't think it makes much difference, as it won't really have much stress on it anyway, for a child.  I found a photo of a child's dirndl costume here.  Looks like they're using a zipper instead of laces, but laces would be cuter.

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #335 on: November 07, 2008, 04:16:45 AM »
I am sure Lyra will turn out a fabulous dirndl.

I wanted to practice slanted feather stitch today - not having done it for ages, and somehow it turned into this baby top. I also practiced using my stitch in ditch foot, an embroidery stitch, the rolled hemmer on my overlocker. It is rather sloppy, but better than a sample to put in the bin IMO. The Christmas parcel is getting rather big! It matches the size 3 month  July BWOF pants, I needed a new top for these, as I gave the supposed size 3month dress to my 16 month old niece to use as a top.
Karen

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #336 on: November 07, 2008, 01:10:34 PM »
That doesn't looks sloppy at all, it looks fabulous. :) 

Do you get Sew Beautiful? They had an article on feather stitching in the last few months, with lots of samples of baby outfits with it.  I'd never really noticed that type of embroidery before, but after reading the article I really like it.  Such a nice airy look to it.  :)

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #337 on: November 07, 2008, 04:12:19 PM »
Karen, That is so cute, and how much more fun to practice various stitches on real items rather than just samples.  Your niece is going to have quite the wardrobe!   :)

Offline Karendee

« Reply #338 on: November 07, 2008, 04:26:21 PM »

Karen,

Adorable top.

Karen

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #339 on: November 07, 2008, 10:10:13 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments. It is sloppy. I tend to be a perfectionist, so sometimes just making something quick is good for me - no one in the family this goes to will notice it is any different from the other outfits! (Notice I have not shown you a close up- the stitch in ditch foot is very good, but the learning curve is a little steep for curved seams)

Lyra I don't get Sew Beautiful regularly. It is very expensive here. However, when I go to a big town, and it is in the newsagent, I always have a good look, and usually end up buying one! I love featherstitching, and used a lot of it on my son's clothes when he was a baby, because bullion roses just did not look right on a boy   ;). I used it so much that my Mum said to me - the featherstitch on your machine is very good, much better than mine, which was really funny, and a bit dispiriting, because it was all done by hand. Imperfection is a good thing! However, not having done any for a few years, I have lost the knack. I will have to look out for the current issue of Sew Beautiful for a few tips.
Karen

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #340 on: November 10, 2008, 04:31:38 AM »

Here is the princess costume for my niece. It is her birthday in about 10 days. I cannot wait to see her in it, I have gone so over the top with shine, glitz and poufiness that she is sure to be pleased. I almost fancy it myself, but I think 6 might be the upper age limit for gorgeousness in this dress  ;D
 Karen

Offline BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
« Reply #341 on: November 10, 2008, 01:04:56 PM »
Karen that is FABULOUS! She is a lucky lucky girl!

(I fancy it too, but am many times removed from being 6 - <sigh>)

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #342 on: November 10, 2008, 01:12:03 PM »
Oh, that's awesome.  Those pinks & greens are fantastic!

How did you do the upper skirt poufs? Are they tacked to the underskirt?

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #343 on: November 10, 2008, 03:20:19 PM »
Oh Karen,  I want to be six again, and have you for an aunt! Fabulous princess dress.  Your niece is going to be in heaven when she sees that.  8) Great job!  Very, very princessy!  ;D

Offline Karendee

« Reply #344 on: November 10, 2008, 04:46:50 PM »

Karen,

Beautiful dress for your niece. You do such lovely work for all your "girls."

Karend

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #345 on: November 10, 2008, 09:18:37 PM »
Thanks ladies. I am now wondering how I will post this - a stuff sack maybe? It is so poufy!

Lyra, the side poufs are each an almost circular piece, gathered along the top half, and sewn to the bodice before the skirt. The pattern called for two layers, sewn together at the bottom, but I found this too heavy looking. Instead I overlocker rolled a lettuce edge hem on a single layer of the poly organza. This seemed to help it to sit in more of a pouf at the front and back, as the hem has some body. The pouf is then gathered at the side to form the bottom double curve, this is held together with the hand sewn bias strip rose embellishment. (The pattern also used a machine stitched stay, but this seemed overkill for organza, and would have shown through). There is no attachment to the skirt other than at the waist seam. There is a back picture on this post at my blog
Are you making one for Kate? Stash's granddaughter dress certainly spurred me on with this one! Kate and Ana's costume dresses are so beautiful and luxurious, but any spare silk in my stash will only be worn by me  ;).
Karen
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 09:20:52 PM by kbenco »

Offline lessalt

« Reply #346 on: November 11, 2008, 12:49:23 AM »
Lyra, She is so cute in her dress - love the fabric.
Leslie

Offline MaryPat

« Reply #347 on: November 11, 2008, 05:38:59 PM »

Oh teh princesses arround here! Karen and Stash- I am sure they will love their dresses.

Lyra- your nieces look great in their princess costumes. That sad picture is really moving. Such heartbreak.
I always get a twinge of envy at your niece's pictures. They love what you make. They have hair. Things are very different in my house!

Offline heatherbelle

« Reply #348 on: November 12, 2008, 11:20:06 PM »
Oh, I love all these princess dresses! I think I have to go and find a pattern and give one a try - I am a bit intimidated by them but my daughter and nieces would just love them.

I have made the "Swing Swing Smock" from Amy Karol's book "Bend-The-Rules Sewing", it is a very simple pattern as you can see but I think it will be great for presents. The original is not reversible and all the edges are bound with bias binding but I like to make things reversible so I did, I think the photos are self-explanatory:

I also think little smocks like these are pretty handy to have around!

I am supposed to be sewing trousers for Peter but they are too tedious. I want instant gratification like these!

Heather.

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #349 on: November 13, 2008, 12:13:55 AM »
Very cute Heather, and I think the reversability is just great.  I would vote for sewing these over boring trousers too.  ;)  Sometimes instant gratification is just what we need!  ;D

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics