Author Topic: Love to see what others are making (for the under-13 set)  (Read 149774 times)

Offline ruthc

• Talking nonsense on my blog
Re: Love to see what others are making (for the under-13 set)
« Reply #245 on: August 13, 2008, 03:34:58 PM »
Due date is 26 August.
We had another scan last week and the baby is head down, which I am pleased about.
Still very wriggly, but I am dying in the heat here, meanwhile DH and I practice our nappy skills on a doggy soft toy, not very realistic as it stays still and we get confused as to what to do with the tail, though better than trying to put a nappy on the stuffed octopus we also have.   ;D

Offline Karendee

« Reply #246 on: August 13, 2008, 03:43:29 PM »

That's just a couple of weeks away. Yea! I loved your diapering story.LOL.

Karend

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #247 on: August 14, 2008, 07:07:00 AM »
Ruth your baby outfits are gorgeous. I love that curved yoke you are using.
Re baby sizes, when my sister was expecting her last baby I went to stay with her as she was confined to the couch or bed for the last 2 months  due to pregnancy complications, and this made it a bit tricky for her to look after her 2 toddlers. Dire stories were told of the tininess of her baby, and I made plenty of preemie sized outfits as the longest her Dr would let her stay pregnant was to be 32 weeks. My new niece, born at 31 weeks was 7 pounds and 55cm long, so I gave most of the preemie outfits to my older nieces to use as dolly clothes!( This niece is now 3 and a half and wears size 6 clothes).
Karen
what I am sewing  - http://kbenco.blogspot.com/

Offline BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
« Reply #248 on: August 14, 2008, 04:34:47 PM »
Ruth the outfits are adorable! She'll be the best dressed baby on Gran Can, for sure.

Sending best wishes for a safe delivery. We will be away for about 10 days (no internet! no TV! poor cell phone signal! YAY) so I might miss your announcement when she arrives.

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #249 on: August 14, 2008, 04:52:37 PM »
Aww, cute dress!

Good luck with the new baby. I hope she comes safely and soon.  :laugh:

Offline Martha Domke

« Reply #250 on: August 15, 2008, 05:03:37 AM »
I love pink baby clothes!!!  Ruth, the dress is adorable.  I like your bonnet style, too.  The dress and bonnet I made for newest DGD (Emily) was huge on her.  I used the smallest pattern size in that particular pattern.  But---she wore it home anyway, and therefore, had a dress to wear as she got older.  She was 6 lb 10 oz, is now 9 1/2 months, and only 14 pounds.  So--sewing for her is a challenge for me.  Her diapers were also huge on her.  I think DD#2 had to buy preemies for a short while. 

I am so excited for you.  I am hoping for you to have a quick delivery, so you can get back on here and tell us all about "our" new niece.  We've usually referred to ourselves as the "sewing aunties".

Offline ruthc

• Talking nonsense on my blog
« Reply #251 on: August 16, 2008, 10:10:08 AM »
So prefolds sewn and I just did an enormous changing/daiper bag yesterday.  I tried to make it manly enough for DH to use, it is dark blue and has a small outer pocket in a pattern, but he still thought it a bit girly.
I checked the octopus, it only has five legs!  Poor thing, but still no easier to put a nappy on.   ???

The bonnet and bloomers are from the Wild Ginger Childs play software.  For the dress I use the one piece dress, lengthen it a bit, take in the side seams a bit and then draft the collar detail by hand.

As for the delivery, mum says my eldest brother was 6 hours and I was 45 minutes with middle brother somewhere in between.  I've had a chat with the bump and told her she can hang about long enough for DH to come back from any diving he is doing and the hour it will take to get to the hospital then we'll be fine.  So that's that organised!  ;)

Offline Martha Domke

« Reply #252 on: August 16, 2008, 05:10:55 PM »
Ruth, I love the talk you had with daughter-to-be-born.  I'm sure she will accomodate you and DH. ;D
Our DD#2 seems to be the built-to-have-babies.  Her dr hasn't even had time to arrive for the birth of the girls.  The last, Emily, popped out about 10 minutes after the first pain.  Good thing SIL and the nurse were right there, or she would have landed on the floor. :anguish: :faintthud:

One of my favorite patterns for Emily is New Look #6692.  It is so simple, and can be embellished in many ways.  I've used a 1/2" polyester shoe lacing in bright colors (sewed on like ribbon), and also use rick-rack.  On Simplicity #3854, I used the large rick-rack.  I really liked that look.  The dress is a bodice with gathered skirt, and has gathered cap sleeves.  Ooooo, I just love baby clothes.

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #253 on: August 16, 2008, 07:11:24 PM »

They're both really sweet, Martha! (but I think I prefer the gathers in the simplicity to the A-line in the New Look...)  :D

Ruth, I love seersucker for hot weather, what a great idea for a baby dress! And I love the colorblocked collar!

Lisa
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline Martha Domke

« Reply #254 on: August 17, 2008, 04:31:29 AM »
Thank you Lisa for posting pictures of my patterns.  I would like to make a dress from the Simplicity for fall, and make the bloomers to go with it.  Maybe even make it a jumper to be worn over a long-sleeve onesie.  I also made the bolero to go with one of the New Look dresses. 

I love seersucker, too.  Made DGSon a vest and short pants form a pale green, blue, and white stripe, and make a white shirt to go with.  The shirt had his initial embroidered on the pocket.  He was quite little then, and now he's 17.  Guess he wouldn't want to be reminded.

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #255 on: August 29, 2008, 05:52:39 PM »
two things to add!

I just re-found the link that has a bunch of Sew Beautiful articles. They put up 1 article from each of the past year's issues. I love this magazine- the styles are usually a bit fussier than I do, but I learn so much about construction and techniques.  So, good read if you like to sew kids outfits.
http://www.sewbeautifulmag.com/article/index.html

And secondly, anyone thinking of entering the Patter Review kids clothing contest?  Begins this weekend!  I guess if I come up with anything decent this month I'll enter it, but I haven't really planned out anything special.
http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/sewingclasses/board.pl?t=33323

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #256 on: September 01, 2008, 07:30:44 PM »
Made on Sunday- another Oliver + S tea party sundress.  I still love this pattern to pieces.

And then made early early this morning... an Oliver + S Playdate dress, and a little jacket from the august BWOF

Can't believe I successfully bribed my niece into a modeling session, but the promise of a milkshake at the diner around the corner works wonders. She's definitely growing up to be a Jersey Girl   ;)

I still have about 6 yards of that brown microfiber from her coat left, so at some point I need to make the windbreaker from March's BWOF for myself.

Offline Karendee

« Reply #257 on: September 01, 2008, 08:39:38 PM »
Lyra,

My goodness, you're amazing! You made the 2nd dress and jacket this morning? That's unbelievable. When I read your Sept. Scramble post concerning the "2 garments" you'd make for coolish days with jeans, I though , yea. And along with that, you'd make a dozen dresses/outfits for the girls. I just admire what you make the consistency at which you sew, and your darling "girls." I know they are really your nieces. :laugh:

Karend

Offline BetsyV

« Reply #258 on: September 01, 2008, 08:45:06 PM »
Those are really adorable, Lyra! I really wish my cousin's daughter wasn't already a size 5, isn't that their largest size?

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #259 on: September 02, 2008, 12:15:42 AM »
Lyra,

My goodness, you're amazing! You made the 2nd dress and jacket this morning? That's unbelievable. When I read your Sept. Scramble post concerning the "2 garments" you'd make for coolish days with jeans, I though , yea. And along with that, you'd make a dozen dresses/outfits for the girls. I just admire what you make the consistency at which you sew, and your darling "girls." I know they are really your nieces. :laugh:

Karend

Ha, those two tops for me are still in the pattern-needs-to-be-traced stage.  I'm off most of next week, I might get to them then.  The only thing I did today was the dress & jacket.  I'm home alone, so, well, I kind of hauled  my coffee up to the sewing loft and tucked in.  Doggie just camped out on the sofa and snoozed, so I didn't have any interruptions all morning. 

My mom came over after dinner and we worked on my dress form cover a bit more- having some trouble getting it to "scoop in" on the back as much as my back does. The foam isn't compressing there really well, and I get drag lines on the cover. Gah.  That kind of sewing is so annoying, I'm going to have to make another 2 dresses for the nieces to recover.   ;D  Little dresses are like therapy for life driving me nuts.   ;)

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #260 on: September 02, 2008, 12:18:50 AM »
Those are really adorable, Lyra! I really wish my cousin's daughter wasn't already a size 5, isn't that their largest size?
Betsy, the new winter patterns run up to size 8! 
http://www.oliverands.com/patterns/winter/

A lot of people requested larger sizes for the newer patterns.  Not sure if they plan to re-issue any of the original patterns in sizes 6-8, though.

Offline BetsyV

« Reply #261 on: September 02, 2008, 02:03:33 AM »
Betsy, the new winter patterns run up to size 8! 

Hooray! Ellie is such a cutie and I showed her how to use my sewing machine when I saw her a month ago. I told her mom she was ready for her own machine. The third time she ran some fabric through I didn't have to prompt her for one step, not even "keep your fingers away from the needle"! And she "got" that the pointy snips go back in the leather sheath too.

For her birthday in a few weeks I would like to make her a Jalie top. I have to get all the excess hot pink dye out of this poly/lycra though. I am NOT going to stick her mom with a hand-wash only t-shirt for a 5 year old when there are 2 1/2 y/o twin boys at home too.

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #262 on: September 08, 2008, 12:46:01 AM »
Oops, I have not been checking this thread, and I missed commenting on Kate's gorgeous new clothes. Lyra I do not know how you do it - does Kate have anything RTW?
I have a new niece, who is almost a whole day old now, so of course I could not just send the clothes I made before she arrived. Yesterday I made her a quick and easy pinafore dress and also embroidered a bonds suit for her. I almost feel as quick as Lyra - 2 things in one day, although I suppose the bonds suit is not exactly sewing  ;)

I love sewing baby clothes
Karen

Offline BetsyV

« Reply #263 on: September 08, 2008, 12:51:53 AM »
Those are adorable arnd and how nice to have a brand new niece!

And since none of the other bonds suits sold this week have the personalized embroidery then it counts as sewing  ;D

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #264 on: September 08, 2008, 01:29:45 AM »
Karen,  Darling outfits, and I love the embroidery on the bonds suit!  Perfect, perfect for a new niece. 

Now, I must admit that bonds suit is not a term I've heard before.  Is that a brand or ??  I think that's what they call a onesie here.  That was a new one to me too!  ;D  I guess I'm a very long way out of the loop!  ;D

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #265 on: September 08, 2008, 02:58:26 AM »
Oops , sorry, regional term. Bonds  :clickhere: is a very popular Australian brand, baby clothes, t shirts, underwear, all sorts of knits. The most famous Bonds item is the Jackie How singlet, blue and worn by shearers and other hard workers (for about the last 80 years and still popular) - you may have seen it on Paul Hogan in Crocodile Dundee. This singlet vies with the Akubra hat and the Drizabone coat as Australian national dress. Bonds is now owned by Pacific Brands and apparently the underwear waist band can now be seen sticking out from the top of American boys' falling down jeans and is a "designer" name.  ;). This is sort of funny to everyone over 30 whose mother made them wear sensible bonds singlets and whose grandmothers wore "cottontails", aka granny knickers. (All my children have to wear sensible Bonds singlets and knickers......)
To get back on topic :) where I live these are called bonds suits, but where my sister lives they are called grow-suits, and my MIL and her friends call these "bunny suits" When I first visited America 14 or so years ago I did not understand the term "onesies" but now my (Australian) SIL's both use the term - but for t shirts with an extended buttoning crotch. Apparently when there are legs the term is different here.
Karen

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #266 on: September 08, 2008, 03:26:42 AM »
Thanks for the link Karen!  Very interesting.  I wonder if the Bonds name has any connection with Bond knitting machines? 

I think you're right about onesies not having any legs.  I'm really not up on the terminology.   :D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 03:31:11 AM by Liana »

Offline Martha Domke

« Reply #267 on: September 08, 2008, 05:04:18 AM »
The "Bonds" suit is what we call pajamas.  The enclosed foot keeps those little tootsies warm at night.

I love the dress and "bloomers"???  and the embroidery is beautiful.  Baby girls are so much fun to sew for.  Enjoy this new little one.

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #268 on: September 08, 2008, 07:35:14 PM »
Awww, those are too cute. The blue jumper is so sweet!

I've never heard the term Bond suit before- I love how baby things get different names all over, it's kind of funny.

Offline Karendee

« Reply #269 on: September 08, 2008, 10:08:06 PM »

Karen,

The outfits are absolutely adorable. Your embroidery is so lovely, as always, and of course I love the little outfit. That baby is so "new" and you have bestowed all that love on her, with these handmade beauties.

Lucky child.

Karend

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #270 on: September 24, 2008, 07:36:04 AM »
After weeks of sewing for myself, the children are getting restless. Here is a smocked nightie I made for my younger daughter today.

Karen

Offline BetsyV

« Reply #271 on: September 24, 2008, 03:26:03 PM »
Karen - too cute! Nighties are fast, too.

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #272 on: September 24, 2008, 09:22:21 PM »
True! and she is still happy with it. I may finally be learning.  :)

zora

« Reply #273 on: September 25, 2008, 10:01:15 AM »
Karen, that's a real cute nightie!

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #274 on: September 25, 2008, 01:12:38 PM »
very nice!  i saw the closeup of the smocking on your blog, it looks beautiful.

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #275 on: October 01, 2008, 08:08:29 AM »

I finished this jacket for my son today. Here he is with his pet hen (to match the jacket). I am quite happy with the smocking, but I think this is a very badly home-made looking pattern for a jacket, but it will keep him warm this weekend in Sydney  ;).
Karen

Offline vtmartha

« Reply #276 on: October 01, 2008, 10:56:35 AM »
What a cute jacket, Karen!  Chicken smocking would be perfect for my DGS.  You've inspired me but I'm not sure I can smock as fast as he can grow!

Offline BetsyV

« Reply #277 on: October 01, 2008, 11:48:36 AM »
Karen that is adorable! And doesn't he look like his mom! I love the hen accessory too.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #278 on: October 01, 2008, 11:49:40 AM »
How cute is that! A boy in his new jacket with his pet hen.  That photo is a real keeper, Karen.  You'll be showing it to his girlfriends in the years to come.  

I don't think the pattern looks made-at-home (in a bad way) at all.  I think it looks really great. You showed once again that smocking can be used on boys' clothing as well. And the color is perfect on your little guy.

Kathryn

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #279 on: October 01, 2008, 12:19:44 PM »
So cute.  I love the little animals!

Did you ever decide to do anything with the lamb from the original version of the jacket?  I wonder if you could fit it into a little shirt or something.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics