Author Topic: Love to see what others are making (for the under-13 set)  (Read 150160 times)

Offline lyra

• west 38th
Re: Love to see what others are making (for the under-13 set)
« Reply #175 on: June 27, 2008, 04:35:19 PM »
Awww, cute!   The paisley (??) print dress in the back is my favorite.   ;D

Do you have photoshop?  Have you tried using the white balance tools in it?  That's the easiest way to correct for tints.

Karen, the tops look adorable!  I'm glad the JCrew pictures helped with the project visualization.  That's one of the nice thing about people who sew, we get pretty good at thinking what something will look like all put together, but I forget sometimes that it's really a skill you have practicing at.

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #176 on: June 27, 2008, 10:35:07 PM »
Ruth the dresses look great. I like the blue and green combination, and there are not too many pintucks, although that is a lot of work for a dress you are selling, what will Miss C wear? I would save the extra work for my own baby, but then I am rather selfish about that sort of thing. The hanging on the washing line photos are a very nice presentation for your etsy items.

My SIL in Sydney just sent me a photograph of my niece in a dress I made.

Looking at her makes me want to smock something else for her.
Karen
what I am sewing  - http://kbenco.blogspot.com/

Offline Karendee

« Reply #177 on: June 27, 2008, 11:13:30 PM »
Oh, Karen. What a beautiful baby and dress. It makes my spirit soar to see such an angelic sight!

RuthC, your dresses on the line are adorable. I wish I owed a clothesline like that; what a wonderful presentation prop.

Lyra, your dresses (and doll clothes) are always beautiful. And you started such a ruffled-pink trim. I think the roses are taking the place of ruffles on your beautiful pink creation. The dress also fits you beautifully.

Keep these precious children's clothes coming. We adore them.

Karend

Offline ruthc

• Talking nonsense on my blog
« Reply #178 on: June 28, 2008, 08:44:54 AM »
Karen - your neice and her dress are just adorable.  I think smocking will remain one of those skills I admire from afar, I have far too much to keep me busy to take up learn something new. 

Lyra - I usually  use paint.net, but just downloaded gimp which has more features similar to photoshop so I am working on that.  DH says the paisly is old fashioned but I really like it, it is very pale/subtle and I think what it really needs is a contrast in the burnt orange colour or the pale minty green that is in it to bring it out.  But I am waiting to buy more fabric otherwise I will defeat the object of the project, which is to actually make some money via sewing rather than just spend it, not lots, just enough to fund a more sewing!

Don't worry my baby won't be neked she will get pretty things too, I am just waiting till after our move on Tuesday, it coincides with a divemaster trainee coming at the divecentre so I will be able to spend more time at home, mostly likely sewing, and just be able to pop to the divecentre to catch up on all the activty here.

Offline Claudine

• Photos
« Reply #179 on: June 30, 2008, 07:14:24 PM »
Beautiful smocking Karen!  She looks adorable.

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #180 on: June 30, 2008, 07:27:24 PM »
Awww, that's such a cute little one! I love the dress.

GIMP is pretty cool, although it has kind of a tricky UI (I always have to hunt for things).  However, for a free program, I forgive them.  I always find what I need in the end.   ;)

One more picture, of Kate in a birthday dress.  I make most of her dresses with much longer skirts since she grows UP and not much OUT. So when she put on this one, she told me to it was too short.   ;D  Poor kid. Her mom explained that this is a special dress she doesn't have to grow into.

Offline Karendee

« Reply #181 on: June 30, 2008, 07:34:07 PM »

Lyra,

Lovely birthday dress. What a funny story.

Karend

Offline Martha Domke

« Reply #182 on: July 05, 2008, 04:41:17 AM »
Kathryn, since we were out of town, and then had appointments to meet, I didn't get caught up on reading posts.  But then, I finally finished.

The fabric for the little yellow dress is a circus print.  Cute little animals doing human things.

I really enjoyed making these dresses.  If I an figure it out again, I want to post pictures of the hat and bolero.  That child is so tiny, and at the rate she is growing, she'll wearing these into next Spring.

Offline ruthc

« Reply #183 on: July 05, 2008, 12:12:06 PM »
We moved apartments and I only just organised DH to collect a new ironing board, so no sewing for me recently.
But yesterday I did cut out the cloth for 12 nappies - one side bamboo terry one side flannel.

Not the most inspiring sewing I guess so I just put on a DVD and set to.
Don't worry I won't be posting picutres of all 12, especially as they are only half of what I planned to make.

I did also order 3m of the softest bamboo velour - it is so cuddly, now I need some ideas of what to make.
I figured maybe two swaddling wraps - I already made two from some cotton jersey - which would take up about a metre or so.
But I'm not sure what else to do with it, apart from open the cupboard and stroke it from time to time.   ;D

Offline BeeBee

• A Million Litte Threads
    • Pastiche
« Reply #184 on: July 06, 2008, 02:51:08 AM »
Does anyone know of an online - free - download for a diaper cover pattern?  I'd like to make the diaper cover to match the dress I made my niece, but (a) don't want to go back to Hancock's (just want to make it) (2) don't want to pay for it, the dress is cute by itself and just not worth the extra (yes, I know, paper + Ink = 1 trip to Hancock at $1/pattern, NOT the point  ::))

Offline Martha Domke

« Reply #185 on: July 06, 2008, 03:56:15 AM »
BeeBee, why not use a panty pattern that is often included in baby and little girl dresses?  It would have elastic in the legs as well as the waist.  I've done this before.

Offline BeeBee

• Pastiche
« Reply #186 on: July 06, 2008, 12:22:29 PM »
Same reason, I don't have one.  I do have a shorts pattern, I could probably add a little fullness and shorten the leg.  (I nonly have 3 toddler patterns, so not much variety)

Offline GGC

« Reply #187 on: July 06, 2008, 06:07:41 PM »
I LOVE all the children clothes I see here  :D, they are just too adorable.

Ruth,
I love yours too, it's so CHIC. I adore minimalism, to me less is more. I use minimalism a lot in my design. But wait, I love ruffles too though, so once in a while I will put ruffles here and there.

Thank you ladies for all your sweet words. I love all your creations too. That's why I love sewing children clothes because not all adult can get away with super cute and fun prints and ruffles. :)

Ning

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #188 on: July 07, 2008, 12:19:57 AM »
Ok, I will spare you, no more ruffles, although I do have a sweet photo of one of my nieces actually wearing one of the ruffly dresses...
Instead, I will show you boy sewing, not a ruffle to be seen. Instead we have leopard pyjamas, worn by my son and my nephew. I also made a few more pairs for some nieces, one in pink leopard print - isn't it great what children can get away with!

Karen
PS, and this is what the tails are for, according to my nephew
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 12:23:01 AM by kbenco »

Offline BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
« Reply #189 on: July 07, 2008, 12:58:00 AM »
 :rotfl:

Karen - too funny! I would have done the same as your nephew!

Offline BeeBee

• Pastiche
« Reply #190 on: July 07, 2008, 01:35:29 AM »
Here's the dress I made my grandneice out of the same fabric I used for mine (also finished, but not photographed).  It turned out really cute, I think.  My first attempt at a child's garment, I was tantalized by how quickly it went together and how little fabric it took.

Offline BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
« Reply #191 on: July 07, 2008, 01:38:48 AM »
Really cute, Beebee - where's YOUR dress?   >:D

Offline BeeBee

• Pastiche
« Reply #192 on: July 07, 2008, 01:40:38 AM »
LOL.  Mine needs a hand hem and a little work at the zipper and a photographer.   :smug:  It's done, otherwise. Busy weekend, my son was visiting.

Offline ruthc

« Reply #193 on: July 07, 2008, 01:52:20 PM »
Cute lil leopards Karen.
I think if we had had those when we were kids my brothers would have done the same as your nephew, possibley even tied me to something.

Bee Bee. cute lil dress.
For a daiper pattern I used the free one on the Ottobre site -
http://www.ottobredesign.com/en/print/index.html

You need to scroll through the free stuff to get to the pattern, I guess it wouldn't take too much to change it to a cover.

I made one nappy yesterday, it went together easy enough but it does seem a little big for a newborn.  Ottobre is Finnish and having met lots of Finns on thier holidays here then I know they are a tall bunch and so maybe Finnish babies run a bit larger too. DH is reserving judgement on the wisdom of cloth nappies so I have agreed to an emergency stash of disposables - probably a good idea anyway.

Offline BeeBee

• Pastiche
« Reply #194 on: July 07, 2008, 01:56:42 PM »
Thanks, Ruth, I'll check it out.

A note on newborns:  you do need really small and remember to be able to fold down or cut out the spot for the umbilical cord until it falls off.   :P So it makes them even smaller.  Maybe your could use a newborn disposable for your pattern.  Or use disposables until the cord falls off and that should match up better with your energy return to do the laundry and some size increase for the baby. 

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #195 on: July 07, 2008, 08:37:15 PM »
I was sort of expecting that tail action, so they are sewn on 4x.  It amazes me that people can survive having an older brother!

I was tantalized by how quickly it went together and how little fabric it took.
Bee Bee, I think this is how sewing for little people becomes addictive and makes you keep 50 cm pieces of fabric in your stash. The dress is really cute, and I like the buttons.  I think the shorts pattern would work to wear under the dress. If you put an elastic casing in the legs they will look like bloomers.

Ruth, I think disposables are a good idea until the meuconium is through the baby's system, that stuff is truly awful to wash out. Don't ask me how I know. Are your nappies flat or shaped? I made shaped nappies with adjustable sides and a top that could be folded over for a new baby, then unfolded as the baby grew, but I still needed to make around 3 sizes to cover 18months. The flat nappies were good for the transition stages - ie, when the shaped ones were getting a bit small, and I hadn't made enough of the next size yet, but I found them so awkward and ill fitting once the baby started crawling or walking that they were a good motivator to make more shaped ones!

I am making giraffe and lion pyjamas at the moment. The giraffe is a special request, and he wants a giraffe hat with long neck as well (the pyjamas come with hoods/hats for dress ups). Sewing is good exercise for the brain.
Karen

Offline ruthc

« Reply #196 on: July 09, 2008, 08:55:10 AM »
It amazes me that people can survive having an older brother!

I survived having two older brothers.  It made me quite independent early on.  I learnt quickly that if I asked to play with them then I would usually end up tied to a tree as an injun to their cowboys.  Not fun.

Though they were very handy when I turned 16 and all my friends fancied their friends, plus they could get us booze at the off-licence, so I was a popular girl.   ;D

Thanks for the advice on the flat nappies, the ones I have made are shaped ones with leg and back elastic.  Neither DH or I are particularly tall or broad so I am not expecting Baby Girl to be a bruiser so I think flats and or disposable will be the way to go.  DH is scared of the poo!

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #197 on: July 09, 2008, 08:57:59 AM »
Lion pyjamas. They were a hit with the recipient.
( the hood is not worn to bed, so there is a mane around the neck too)

Ruth, I am glad you survived and that there is a pay off for being tied to trees or having your tail pulled. I feel very sorry for my youngest niece. On the other hand, being a younger brother means that there are family photographs of you as a 2 year old wearing a pink feather boa and a tu-tu, as your sisters regard you as a wriggly doll, so I suppose there are problems with having older sisters too - they just don't seem to be such painful problems.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 09:04:48 AM by kbenco »

Offline ruthc

« Reply #198 on: July 09, 2008, 02:59:15 PM »
That is one fine lion! I love it.
The mane is fantastic and I can see he has a fearsome growl going on.

I would not like to meet that lion in the jungle!

Offline vtmartha

« Reply #199 on: July 09, 2008, 04:02:51 PM »
Karen, the nightwear at your house is fantastic!  Dare I ask what the 'older' folk wear to bed?  ;)

Offline Judi73

• Embellishing Experiments
« Reply #200 on: July 09, 2008, 04:51:46 PM »
What a cute and ferocious lion! Love it.

Offline Karendee

« Reply #201 on: July 09, 2008, 06:17:02 PM »

Cute, cute lion,  Karen!

Karend

Offline MaryPat

« Reply #202 on: July 09, 2008, 06:41:05 PM »

I made one nappy yesterday, it went together easy enough but it does seem a little big for a newborn.  Ottobre is Finnish and having met lots of Finns on thier holidays here then I know they are a tall bunch and so maybe Finnish babies run a bit larger too. DH is reserving judgement on the wisdom of cloth nappies so I have agreed to an emergency stash of disposables - probably a good idea anyway.

My half Finn babies were both over 10 pounds, so perhaps that is right. They still seemed small in most cloth nappies at first though. We used diposables for the first few weeks.

Love the lion, Karen. The pose and look on his face are priceless. Five is a fun age.

Having an eight year older brother has it's drawbacks as well. My lovely 2 1/2 yr old sweet & pretty little girl picked up a toy banana and fired it like a machine gun at her father and I last night. Gun noises and everything. Her favourite colour is royal blue, hates dresses, etc.

I was looking forward to tea parties and ruffles, but I think that I have to pray for a girlygirl grandchild.

Offline Carla

« Reply #203 on: July 09, 2008, 09:05:22 PM »
Oh wow, such cute clothes and such adorable children!  I'm loving all the wonderful techniques you ladies have used in these clothes.  I'm afraid if I start trying to name each individually I'll miss someone, so let me just give a hearty "Well done!"

If you don't mind I will share some of the things I've made for my grandchildren, mainly the girls, although I have made one grandson some shirts which he loves.  Some of these will be from the past and some more recent.  This is the main kind of sewing I have done — simple cotton garments, easy and quick.  I think I am a little intimidated by the wonderful fashion sewing so many here at SG do. 

Dress from several years ago

Dress

Nightgown

She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands...    Proverbs 31:13

Offline vtmartha

« Reply #204 on: July 09, 2008, 09:30:01 PM »
Those are really sweet, Carla!  They look like ads from a children's clothing catalog.

Offline MaryPat

« Reply #205 on: July 10, 2008, 04:34:34 AM »
Gorgeous Carla. Nothing like green on strawberry blonde.
And what a little doll! Is it the same girl at different ages or did you luck out and get two that cute?

Offline Carla

« Reply #206 on: July 10, 2008, 12:05:08 PM »
Mary Pat, those pictures are of our oldest granddaughter.  She is 7½ now and a lovely little girl both in her appearance and her personality.  I end up sewing more for her than the others because she is constantly needing new clothes while her younger sisters get her hand-me-downs.  We saw them last week and I think her hair is turning a darker red, which thrills us, though I'm not sure it thrills her.  It's beautiful. 

Thank you for your comments, Martha and M.P.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 12:07:06 PM by Carla »
She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands...    Proverbs 31:13

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #207 on: July 10, 2008, 10:43:37 PM »
Carla, your pictures and your granddaughter are gorgeous. You say these are simple, easy and quick garments, but I can see contrast lining and? sleeve hem trim (my monitor is not the best) on the lovely little red print dress, self piping on the gingham collar and pretty lace eyelet hem and sleeve trim on the nightie, these are lovely details you would pay a fortune for in RTW. Simple clothes can be beautiful with this sort of attention to detail, and yours show that. More please!
Karen

ETA, thanks for the nice comments on the lion suit. I am having trouble getting it off the boy, and into the wash.

Martha! That is classified  ;D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 10:46:52 PM by kbenco »

Offline Carla

« Reply #208 on: July 11, 2008, 01:11:06 AM »
Thank you, Karen.  You want more?  You know not what you ask... LOL.  These will be it for a while, although I am sewing for the oldest again right now.  Give me a day or two, OK?

Tee shirt dress - these are quick and easy

Way back a long-time-ago dress with a lucky-find matching appliqué

Also several years back

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #209 on: July 11, 2008, 08:09:16 AM »
Carla, what lucky grand daughters. I particularly like the baby dress, the applique on the yoke is very sweet.

I have finished the giraffe suit, planned and commissioned by my son. He complains that the neck is not tall enough, but I told him "tough". I am a bit tired of pyjamas.

ETA the picture, as somehow it fell off.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 02:08:18 PM by kbenco »

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics