Author Topic: Love to see what others are making (for the under-13 set)  (Read 147690 times)

Offline lyra

• west 38th
Re: Love to see what others are making (for the under-13 set)
« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2008, 05:42:12 PM »
Hehe.. I had to snap a photo of this with the camera phone this morning.  Kate begged for a skirt from the scraps of the jacket I'm working on in a herringbone boucle from Gorgeous Fabrics.

I have a little flare skirt shape that I'd draped on her over the summer, so I whipped one up for her a few days ago. (Even with a lining and hand sewn hems, it took a little over an hour to make. I love teensy preschool clothes, such instant gratification!)  She had it on today, but she insists on wearing it with the side seams in the center front & center back so that it makes a chevron pattern. This isn't the greatest photo, but you can kind of see it here:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2343/2172537028_d9bc94c77e_o.jpg

Kids. ::)

Offline MaryPat

« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2008, 07:41:30 PM »
That skirt is adorable Lyra.

Offline Judi73

• Embellishing Experiments
« Reply #107 on: January 08, 2008, 01:52:49 AM »
Lyra, LOL, that is SEW cute  ;D  she did a great job of designing that nightie.  Hmmm a future Project Runway finalist???

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2008, 07:10:33 PM »
I know many of you are familiar with Pam Erny of Sew Exciting Sewing Supplies.  (NAYY, but great interfacing and notions!)  She makes the most darling things for her two nieces, and I was just looking through her Flickr site again, and thought I should post a link here for you all to enjoy too.  She uses a lot of Ottobre patterns, but also others, and on the photo captions she details the design changes she's made to the pattern for the pictured garment, and reveals her fabric sources in many cases.  Her creativity is astounding, and you can tell she's having the most fun!

Pam's Designs for Little Girls

Offline Martha Domke

« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2008, 09:09:16 PM »
Liana, that site is wonderful.  I just told DH that I have lots of ideas for our newest DGD.  Of course, she's only 3 months old, but they do grow fast. :laugh:

Offline pamela

« Reply #110 on: January 19, 2008, 03:38:13 PM »
Onesies with skirt attached.
So simple, but so cute.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline MaryPat

« Reply #111 on: January 19, 2008, 08:42:41 PM »
Pam- great litle skirted onesie. That will be so cute on her this summer.
Liana- the link you sent has some fabulous stuff. I am going to need some more time for perusing this one.

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #112 on: January 20, 2008, 01:02:43 AM »
I loved the pictures of Pam's things. I 'd seen a few of them on her blog, but it was interesting to page through all of them.  One of these days I'll get around to trying Ottobre, since people make the greatest little outfits from them.

We're starting Valentine's day  preparation over here, so this is the big sister dress:

This view has the whole dress but the color is a smidge off:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2271/2205207408_2c4d2784db_b.jpg

I used a rolled hem on the sleeves, and bias binding turned to the inside at the neck with the eyelet collar.  It has a zipper in the back, and then at the hem is some wide eyelet lace and ribbon at the joining seam. The ribbon is from A.C. Moore, in their wedding aisle.  Good source of small spools of white ribbon which is not as stiff as some cheap ribbon.   ;)

When I make Ana's version I'll probably use Simplicity 4711 again- same fabric for the main body, and the eyelet for the sailor collar.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 12:25:14 PM by lyra »

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #113 on: January 20, 2008, 03:02:39 PM »
And here's Ana's dress.  There was one ribbon rose left from the batch I bought for Kate's nutcracker dress, so it was used in the center front where the sailor collar meets.  The hem lace is the same lace at the waist of Kate's version.

Offline cmarie12

• Diary of A Sewing Fanatic
« Reply #114 on: January 20, 2008, 06:01:23 PM »
Lyra - both of those Valentine's Day dresses are just tooooo cute!  Your nieces are going to look adorable in them!

Liana - thanks for the link to Pam's outfits...they ALMOST make me long for a little girl again...almost!  ;D
Carolyn
"I've always maintained that freedom of speech does not mean freedom from responsibility. Choose your words carefully ~ Susan”
My blog:  http://sewingfantaticdiary.blogspot.com/
My Flickr Albums

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #115 on: January 21, 2008, 09:01:18 PM »
Lyra, Those are both so cute!  You are having a lot of fun, I can tell.  ;)

Glad you all enjoyed the link to Pam's things.  She is just so creative! 

Carolyn, I know what you mean!  I always have remembered a Baby card I saw once.  On the front it said: "

Congratulations on your new baby.  I'm as happy as if it were my own."

On the inside it said:

Even happier.

;D ;D ;D  I always thought that said it pretty well, at least for me!  ;D  Nothing against babies or kids in general, but I've always been very happy to be an aunt.

Offline GGC

« Reply #116 on: February 29, 2008, 06:07:57 PM »
Hi again Liana and Kathryn,

I hope you guys still remember me  ;) I am back again after taking a break to deliver my baby :). He is 3 month-old now and I finally can find just a LITTLE bit of time to sew :). Liana, I agree with you girl, I love kids but they sure are a lot of work!

Well anyway, I think I promised you guys before that I will post updates when I go into labor, but I didn't have a chance, everything just went bananas as soon as my water broke  :P, the baby was born a day before thanksgiving, so I was soooo busy with the newbaby, and then thanksgiving, and then christmas, and then new year, etc etc. And finally I have a chance to go back here, yaaaayy, I missed all of you!

Here's a few of my recent pics. The first one is my two toddlers and my newborn. And the rest are just some garments I managed to sew in 3 months, gosh I used to be able to sew 3 garments in just 2 weeks  :'(

I just sent this jumper to my model so I'm still waiting for the modeled pics to come.

Anyway, good to be back again :)

Hugs,
Ning

Offline BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2008, 02:01:41 AM »
Welcome back Ning! We're glad to "see" you again.

Your children are adorable, and your outfits just stunning. I wish I could make 3 garments that detailed in 3 months, and I have NO kids!

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2008, 04:10:52 PM »
Ning, 

It's great to have you back!  What adorable children, and I think that's quite a lot to get done considering your other committments.  They're beautiful dresses, and I especially like the pale lime with the pleated bodice.  You have such interesting details.  :)

Offline cmarie12

• Diary of A Sewing Fanatic
« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2008, 05:30:55 PM »
Ning - thanks for sharing the picture of your adorable children!  They are sooooo precious.  I really liked your first dress, its very cute!
Carolyn
"I've always maintained that freedom of speech does not mean freedom from responsibility. Choose your words carefully ~ Susan”
My blog:  http://sewingfantaticdiary.blogspot.com/
My Flickr Albums

Offline GGC

« Reply #120 on: March 03, 2008, 06:22:12 PM »
Thank you for the sweet words BetsyV, Liana, and cmarie12, I appreaciate it :)

Liana, the lime green fabric is Girogio Armani's, it's linen, and it is just the softest linen I've ever touched. The red one is made out of Michael Kors'.

I just got the pics from my model for the jumper:

I love seeing my garments modeled by real people.

Ning

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
  • The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #121 on: March 03, 2008, 06:51:41 PM »
All of your items are just adorable. :)

Looking for the perfect button?  I may have one in my new Etsy Shop, or my website: Your Button Shop :)

Offline GGC

« Reply #122 on: March 04, 2008, 04:11:10 PM »
Thank you so much DragonLady :)

Ning

Online fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #123 on: March 17, 2008, 12:58:58 PM »
Ning, I was just thinking about you not long ago, wondering how the new baby (and you) are.  I've been traveling a great deal, and it takes me a while to catch up on older posts.  So imagine how happy I was to come across yours this morning! 

Your children are absolutely adorable.  Such a sweet family.  And I STILL don't know how you have time to sew those gorgeous little girl fashions.  They are all so beautiful. 

Where do you get your fabrics, from buying trips to NYC, or do you find fabrics locally? 

I simply cannot get enough of your designs for little girls.  It makes me which my daughter was a toddler once again!  I guess I'll have to wait a few years until grandbabies become a possibility.  :)

Welcome back, Ning.  I still think you must never sleep, because there must be so little time with three small ones in the house, plus a busy designing career.  :)

Best wishes,
Kathryn

Offline GGC

« Reply #124 on: March 18, 2008, 02:17:26 PM »
Aww, thank you for the kind words Kathryn, you're so sweet. I am amazed my self at your work, they are exquisite. Do you sew all those clothes for your self, or custom orders?

I still sleep, although not mush with the newborn and all, lol. I only sew when the kids are napping. I usually can have about 1 - 2 hours top a day for sewing. But sometimes I use those hours just to relax.

One of the ladies in my other forum told me she's going to craft shows and sell her garments. Gosh I really wish I could do that. Maybe one day when the kids get bigger, the craft shows over here are very pricey though :(, I got a flyer last time to open a booth in a craft show, but they want like over $500 for a small booth, yikes! Right now, I am just have to be happy with sewing and selling from home, or maybe if people at Macy's or Nordstrom see my work and want to carry my line (wishing  :wave3: )

Anyway, to answer your questions about the fabric, I had a girl friend of mine went to nyc, so I just have to have her get me something from there, lol :).

O.K, I gotta go now, I'll talk to you again later, my son was just asking me to fix his buzz lightyear toy, lol :)

Hugs,
Ning

Offline Claudine

• Photos
« Reply #125 on: March 21, 2008, 08:55:24 AM »
Ning, I love your work, and your site looks very professional.  The photography is fabulous.  Good luck with growing your business.

I've just finished some dresses for my girls from some Liberty twill.  I just love Liberty fabrics on little girls.  Here's a pic, but some ppl have said that my pics don't show up.  If you can't see the pic, please click this link:
http://couturedetails.blogspot.com/2008/03/liberty-dresses-for-my-girls.html

I made matching dresses for their favorite toys, as well.

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #126 on: March 21, 2008, 09:41:41 AM »
Claudine your girls look so sweet. I just love sister dresses on little girls. The liberty fabric is nearly as gorgeous as your children. I bet they love the dresses for their toys as well.
Karen
what I am sewing  - http://kbenco.blogspot.com/

Online fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: March 21, 2008, 11:53:06 AM »
What a great photo to wake up to this morning, Claudine!  Those little girls look like they're having the best fun, being fashion models for their mommie's latest creations.  And what a nice boon for them to have clothes for their stuffed animals as well.  The dresses are so cute in those Liberty prints.  Great job.

Kathryn

Offline lyra

• west 38th
« Reply #128 on: March 21, 2008, 12:51:44 PM »

I saw the little pinafores on your blog last night, and I have to say they are so adorable!

I made matching dresses for their favorite toys, as well.

Awww. So sweet!

Offline ruthc

• Talking nonsense on my blog
« Reply #129 on: April 26, 2008, 11:34:27 AM »
Hi all

I just finished some bags for my neices' birthdays.  Very bad aunty because Georgia's birthday was actually at the beginning of March.
Being 5 and 8 I thought this was about the age a girl needs a bag to put "important stuff" in.

G's bag is based on my favourite purse from when I was little.  A super cute blue denim bag with red trim strap and the word "alphabet" embroidered across it.  I may still have it tucked away in storage.  As my embroidery skills are rusty I decided to applique a big butterfly on with some simple embroidery on it.

So here they are.
Flora's bag
Georgie's bag 1
Georgie's bag 2

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #130 on: April 29, 2008, 06:04:21 PM »
A discussion on little boy's clothes has been moved to its own thread (to make it easier for others to find ;D)

Enjoy that discussion there...

The only post moved that included a comment related to a post left above was from Karen ("kbenco") and is quoted in pertinent part below...

Ruth, a girl can never have too many handbags, your nieces will love them

Karen
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline Claudine

• Photos
« Reply #131 on: June 08, 2008, 04:38:46 PM »
I just finished some little Chinese-style coats for my daughters.  They seem to like them.  Have a look.

http://couturedetails.blogspot.com/2008/06/jackets-for-girls.html 

Offline vtmartha

« Reply #132 on: June 08, 2008, 04:48:13 PM »
I saw these on your blog, Claudine.  The coats are adorable!  I couldn't find the pattern on the Burda site so it was published quite awhile ago?

Offline Claudine

• Photos
« Reply #133 on: June 08, 2008, 05:28:37 PM »
It was from a Burda WOF from some time last fall.  I can't seem to locate the actual magazine now, so I can't tell you exactly which issue.

Offline BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
« Reply #134 on: June 08, 2008, 05:35:26 PM »
Adorable coats, Claudine!

Online fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #135 on: June 08, 2008, 11:32:05 PM »
Those little coats turned out so cute, Claudine!  You are going to spoil your daughters so much with such fine sewing that they won't want to settle for RTW when they get older!

Kathryn

Offline ruthc

• Talking nonsense on my blog
« Reply #136 on: June 10, 2008, 03:45:53 PM »
Cluadine those jackets are just lovely.

I've been working on a new pattern for Baby Girl, also for my new neice, she is 4 months old and French so I have to come up with something quite chic for her.  I drafted the pattern myself and am really pleased how it turned out.  The photo is a bit dark, but the collar is a chocolate brown linen and the fabric a cream eyelet cotton.

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #137 on: June 11, 2008, 05:21:40 AM »
Cluadine those jackets are just lovely.

I've been working on a new pattern for Baby Girl, also for my new neice, she is 4 months old and French so I have to come up with something quite chic for her.  I drafted the pattern myself and am really pleased how it turned out.  The photo is a bit dark, but the collar is a chocolate brown linen and the fabric a cream eyelet cotton.

That's adorable!!

Online fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #138 on: June 11, 2008, 10:19:14 AM »
Ruth, that little dress is so adorable.  It puts me in mind of some of the fashion-forward little girl wear that Ning makes.  I love the fabrics you chose for it.

Wouldn't it be fun to have a little closet full of pretty dresses to welcome Baby Girl into the world with?  She'll just need an add-a-pearl necklace and some chic shoes, and she'll be set to walk the runway...er, crawl the runway...er, have her Mom carry her down the runway!  ;D

Kathryn

Offline Zoubida

« Reply #139 on: June 11, 2008, 10:41:50 AM »
This thread is making me wish I had girls. The outfits are so adorable and seeing them modeled is a real treat.

Because of the clothing restrictions many women had to abandon their dreams of a romantic wedding dress. Most couples, like this stylish pair married in 1940, managed for a new suit and dress that could be worn again for Sunday best, and smartened up the overall effect with a flower corsage and a fashionable hat.
From book by Patricia Baker "Fashions of a decade - The 1940s"

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics Your Button Shop