Author Topic: Love to see what others are making (for the under-13 set)  (Read 151891 times)

cassi27

Love to see what others are making (for the under-13 set)
« on: November 20, 2006, 09:08:24 PM »
I sew right now just for my DD (3yrs) and would love to see what others are making.
See my signature to see what I have been working on.

Tonight I am finishing an applique on a bandana skirt t-shirt dress and then starting a twirl tutu skirt and matching corest top.
My favorite item I have made so far is the pink fur corset vest (idea from my angel sophie designs) but the one I get the most compliments on is the green floral skirt with white under skirt. My DH laughs at both of them (to wild for his tastes) but beams when our dd gets compliments.

Anybody else out there sew boutique style clothes for their kids boy or girl??

Offline Claudine

• Photos
Re: Love to see what others are making (for the under-13 set)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 01:24:08 AM »
Cassie, I love the green skirt and pink ruffle outfit!  I rarely sew for my kids (2.5 yo and 9 mo), but I did recently make them outfits for a family photo.  Here is a pic that I took (the photographer does not allow me to post her pics to my Yahoo site, so I took these and they're not all that great). 
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ccelebuski/photo/294928803133346827/7

cassi27

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 05:54:55 PM »
Those outifits are so cute.. Are the pants white satin?

Offline Claudine

• Photos
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 01:34:46 AM »
Thanks!  They're actually grey silk satin.  Not the most appropriate fabric for childrenswear, but I had it in my stash, so I figured I might as well use it.  DD is not real crazy about the outfit, though, so she only wore it for the photo.

cassi27

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 01:32:57 PM »
My DD is the same, the pink fur vest I made her she never wants to wear it. I am hoping to update the pictures, I have I have made one new outfit (skirt and corest top) and my Grandmother has made a beautiful dress and jacket for her. She is going to wear it for Christmas.

cassi27

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 09:37:52 PM »
I just update my photos with a few more outfits I finished. And one outfit my Grandmother made. It is beautiful!

domesticdiva

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 04:07:22 PM »
Hi Girls!

Currently I'm sewing boys' clothing...right now I'm working on some skateboard sets...knit shirts, button down shirts and colorful denim pants.

With friendship,
Lisa

cassi27

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 05:28:56 PM »
Lisa, I would love to see picture of the colorful denim pants.

domesticdiva

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 01:56:45 AM »
whoops...I posted photos too big...will have to resize and limit my photos to one per post (sorry Moderators)...

hopefully later.

With friendship,
Lisa

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 02:13:37 AM »
whoops...I posted photos too big...will have to resize and limit my photos to one per post (sorry Moderators)...

Hi Lisa,

While that will certainly work, do you have a photo-hosting site?  If not, you should probably have one.  While you may ultimately choose to pay for one with features you like, there are several which are free and which will offer you the ability to hot-link (show the photo in your post here) your photos here!  You may want to check out www.photobucket.com, www.flickr.com or www.webshots.com.  Last time I checked, each of them will give you a place that you can up-load pictures and then link to them here.  Note that it will also give you a "back-up" for your actual photos or those you keep on your own computer, so that if anything ever happened to your computer and/or your photos, you would have some of your memories!

Please note also that there are a number of photo-hosting sites which will not let you put your pictures in your post.  You will only be able to put links (but not the actual images) in your posts.  An example of these is yahoo photos, which I therefore do not recommend.

Please let me know if you need more information or help!

Lisa
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

domesticdiva

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 05:13:18 PM »
Thanks Lisa!  I do use Inkfrog.  So I guess my question is: which is preferable:  actual posted pics or a link to the pic on one's photo host?

I read the FAQs but don't think it was mentioned.

Thanks for your help!  I've so enjoyed reading all your posts!

With friendship,
Lisa

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 05:36:23 PM »
Thanks Lisa!  I do use Inkfrog.  So I guess my question is: which is preferable:  actual posted pics or a link to the pic on one's photo host?

I read the FAQs but don't think it was mentioned.

Hi Lisa!

I think you'll find what you're looking for here, but to be entirely clear, here are three examples of ways to add the same picture to SG!

Here's a "hot-link" or "direct-link," which is the preferred method:

Here's a link (but not a "direct link" or "hot link"), which is fine, but is not the preferred method (this is all you can do if your photo-hosting site won't permit direct linking, which is why all of the people using Yahoo Photos show their pictures as links:

peony

and finally, you'll see an uploaded image below the line, which should be considered the "last resort" method, since it's a "band-width hog."  As a result, uploaded images are size limited, may not last longer than 30 days (or at least are subject to deletion after 30 days), and are limited to one image per post.

Please let me know if you have more questions!

Lisa

ETA: clarification that uploaded images are "subject to deletion" after 30 days, but since deletion has to be initiated manually, may not actually be deleted exactly at the end of 30 days.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 03:45:11 AM by Lisa »
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

domesticdiva

cassi27

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 01:49:08 PM »
OH Lisa I love them. The added bug charm (don't tell the boys I called it a charm :) is such a great touch! That is what I need to work on add those finishing touches.

domesticdiva

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 01:58:10 PM »
thanks...that's my "signature" thing...all my boys' pants have something hanging from them...

here's another:
http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/domesticdiva/ATOMIC1.jpg
this one actually has a little xray where you can see the Astro Boy's heart, bones, etc.  The little boys get a kick out of them.

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 11:46:53 PM »
Lisa Diva,

I love your children's clothing!  What great details, and yes, the signature "danglies" are adorable, and I would imagine very popular. :)

cassi27

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2007, 01:41:56 PM »
Do they come off then before you wash them?
I am finishing up a pair of gauchos. I used a pair of pink jeans she had grew out of and then added gored strips of paisey, cream and stripped fabic to them to make the gauchos. She really likes them, but they still seem unfinished to me. I have to take another look at them and see how I can make them pop! But right now I am on so much cold medicine that I would probably sew my finger to the fabric if I even touched the sewing machine. At least them weather here is so bad that I don't want to go outside.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2007, 02:52:06 PM »
DomesticDiva, can we order that little "atomic boy" dangle retail, or is it only available wholesale?  I'd love to buy a few.  Thanks!

Kathryn

domesticdiva

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2007, 04:10:56 PM »
Cassi...hope you're feeling better soon!  Yes, all my "danglies" come off prior to washing.  They are usually put on with a keychain clip or something similar for easy removal.

Kathryn...the Astro boy keychain is vintage...I was able to get them by searching the internet...I think I'm down to about 5 (I originally had 36).  I'm sure if you Google "astro boy keychain," you'll find a few.

HTH

cassi27

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2007, 01:30:08 PM »
Thanks, I think my cold is finally starting to get better.
I checked out your about me site on ebay... What great girl clothes to. They are beautiful. I love the fabric combination used.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2007, 02:44:43 PM »
Yes, all my "danglies" come off prior to washing.  They are usually put on with a keychain clip or something similar for easy removal.

Kathryn...the Astro boy keychain is vintage...I was able to get them by searching the internet...I think I'm down to about 5 (I originally had 36).  I'm sure if you Google "astro boy keychain," you'll find a few.

HTH

Thanks, DDiva!

Offline LindaE

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2007, 01:01:47 PM »
kathryn,
I found some at this link  http://www.playthingspast.com/bf-1055.html
Linda E.
"Creative minds have always been known to survive any kind of bad training."
Anna Freud

"Inspiration will always sing; inspiration will never explain" Kahlil Gibran

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2007, 02:16:25 PM »
Thanks, Linda!  :huggle:

SewDisturbed

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2007, 04:11:08 PM »
Here's what I've been making!!  Everything from leotards to summer clothes:-)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90459054@N00/

Offline cmarie12

• Diary of A Sewing Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2007, 06:37:01 PM »
Rena ~ the outfits you've made for your daughters are just adorable...it made me sad for a minute!  I remember spending lots of quality time making outfits for my DD's who are long past that stage now!  Great job!  And I love the Maja pattern you referenced in another post, it will make a great suit for Easter!  Oh, and your banners!  I remember sewing sessions at the church trying to get banners made up for processionals!  Great job!  Thanks for sharing your wonderful photo album!
Carolyn
"I've always maintained that freedom of speech does not mean freedom from responsibility. Choose your words carefully ~ Susan”
My blog:  http://sewingfantaticdiary.blogspot.com/
My Flickr Albums

cassi27

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2007, 03:08:48 PM »
Rena
Great job, I love the Gymboree Knock-off, it is so cute!
How hard are the Ottobre Designs? I really like some of the one you made, but before I invest in the subscription, I want know if I can do it. (Still pretty new)

I am in the processes of finishing a new outfit for the DD, pants and matching tank. And I will be trying my hand at making a matching hat.  :o

Offline Claudine

• Photos
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2007, 11:53:57 PM »
Hey, I actually made some things for my kids!  They are cute little jackets from an oriental silk brocade that's been languishing in my stash for a while.  Here is the link to my blog entry about them:
http://couturedetails.blogspot.com/2007/04/arent-they-cute.html

If you click on the photo, you can see a bigger photo and see some detail on the jackets.  They are from an old Burda WOF pattern that I slashed and spread to get a sort of bell-shaped jacket.  New Jersey had nice weather today, so I got out to take some photos.

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2007, 01:16:24 AM »
Darling jackets, Claudine, and what a great place for a photo!  Beautiful fabric.  I can see why you've been saving it for just the right time.  :)

Offline BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2007, 01:42:42 AM »
Aren't they adorable! Pretty pretty jackets and girls, Claudine! Well done!   :applause2:

cassi27

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2007, 02:15:23 AM »
Those coats are cute. And I love the dress from the blog. I have added a few more outfits to my photos page. My dd's favorite is her new tutu skirt and embellished jeans jacket

Offline Claudine

• Photos
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2007, 02:41:35 PM »
Thanks everyone for the nice comments.  When my sister looked at that photo, she said it was a little strange to have them dressed in Oriental jackets and tutus.  But I did not think that was strange at all.  Then when I was thinking about this conversation later, I realized that the current Comme des Garcons collection, which I have studied in great detail, has lots of oriental jackets and tutus.  So apparantly, I'm dressing my children based on what avant garde Japanese designers are putting on the runway this season. 

Anna@zigzagfoot.com

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2007, 04:07:32 AM »
Hi,
I just recently discovered Stitcher's Guild and was very happy to find a discussion on children's sewing projects. How fun! I've been doing a lot of children's projects and have also started a sewing blog.

Recently I made a groovy daisy summer dress for my 4 and 7 years old daughters and also a pair of knit pants for my 4 year old. I'm currently playing with my serger and realized how quickly you can make kids clothes using the serger.  My next project will be a yellow knit T-shirt for my daughter's Sports Day. I'll have it up on the blog in few days.

Take care,
Anna

Anna, I've edited this to remove the reference and link to your blog.  Even though you aren't selling stuff, it starts looking like spam.  The link in your signature is sufficient.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 06:04:28 PM by DragonLady »

Anna@zigzagfoot.com

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2007, 05:42:45 AM »
Thanks for editing the post!
Cheers,
Anna

ZigZagFoot

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2007, 06:55:42 AM »
Hi again,
I just finished a yellow T-shirt for DD  :).
http://www.zigzagfoot.com/index.php/2007/06/17/yellow-mellow-mango-jello-t-shirt/. It was for her sports day. It was very easy and quick to make. I mainly used the serger except for the sleeve and bodice hem. How do you guys go about hemming knits on the serger?
Happy sewing,
Anna

Online sewsy

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2007, 07:46:30 PM »
I have three DGDs ages one, three and seven. I made a pair of cutoffs from some old white jeans of my youngest DD for the seven year old. That same DD gave me the idea to use the cut leg fabric for 'something', so I'm making a jeans skirt for the three year old. I don't have a digital camera right now, and my middle DDs camera isn't in a cooperative mood of late.  The skirt is really cute. I didn't use a pattern, just sorta fooled around with the fabric and pressed out what looked like decent edges and pockets and the like. I must say, it was fun, especially since some of the sewing was already done for me. I used the side seams as the center front and center back seams for the skirt. There was a hole at the bottom of one of the pant legs from wear, so I used some old childrens print fabric I had and cutout and appliqued a 'monster' to cover up the hole. When I get this camera thing straightened around, I promise I will post pics of my recent projects. :) I'm off to finish up her skirt!

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics