Stitcher's Guild Reloaded

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome! :)

If you have trouble registering or logging in, please email me.    dl@artisanssquare.com

Author Topic: Knit Top >>Dress  (Read 1066 times)

Syndi

• Shop my Etsy Shop
  • Paid Member
    • Thread Scissors Cloth- Etsy
Knit Top >>Dress
« on: December 09, 2017, 03:44:54 PM »

I have this CJ pattern that I've made before.  Overall it is a nice top but I'll need to go down a size or two because it was too big.  I do like the style of the wrap version and was wondering if I could make this into a dress.  I always muff up when I try to make a pattern into something it wasn't intended for, so I'm not sure if this would work  I have a nice lightweight drapey knit in my stash that I was thinking of using for this.
Do you think this would work?
TIA
CJTOP by Thia Marie, on Flickr

Debby

• Paid Member
Re: Knit Top >>Dress
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 09:35:27 PM »

Syndi, do you use Facebook?  Christine Jonson patterns has a private page and this is the type of question that would be answered very easily by the members.

Edited to add that Ann Siegle seems to be the guru of all things CJ Jonson.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 12:14:01 PM by Debby »

Doris W. in TN

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 04:11:00 PM »

IMHO, the wrap top would be easy to make into a dress.  Just extend the length.  You might want to check the full hip measurement to your own.   This weekend, I lengthened the Sewaholic "Renfrew" into a very long tunic/very short dress, to wear with slim fit pants.  It came out quite well, and DH really liked it (that's a win!),  but I wish I had added a bit more to the hips.  I'll re-trace it with more ease in the hips for future projects, since Renfrew is a TNT for me after all the adjustments I've made.    I think the CJ wrap top would make a great dress!

Syndi

• Shop my Etsy Shop
  • Paid Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 04:22:23 PM »

Doris- I think using your input, it may work out.  I'll check out the CJ Facebook page as Debbie suggested too.
Thank you!
ETA:  Debbie, I do use FB, but I'm not sure how to get to the private page/patterns.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 04:24:38 PM by Syndi »

Doris W. in TN

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 04:56:18 PM »

Don't the CJ patterns have "negative ease", IIRC?   With a lightweight, drapey knit, you might want some "positive ease" of an inch or more. 

sewsy

• Paid Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 05:07:44 PM »

Syndi, although this isn't the CJ pattern, here is a YouTube video posted by MimiG that does what you're looking to do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLqqt98o54o The caveat is that she makes the hem portion into a fishtail. You may not want to do that, but the part about extending the tee into a dress length is covered and pretty straightforward. hth

Debby

• Paid Member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 08:49:14 PM »

Syndi, do a FB search for Christine Jonson patterns.  Once you find that page all you need to do is request permission to join.  I think you will enjoy the ability to ask questions and see the work of others.  Ann also posts how to videos which are very helpful.

Edited to add:  I just double checked and the actual page is called Christine Jonson Sewing Circle when you search FB.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 08:51:58 PM by Debby »

Syndi

• Shop my Etsy Shop
  • Paid Member
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 10:49:26 PM »

sewsy- thank you for the link....I'll check that out
Debbie- thank you for the direction :) Where do I find the "request to join"?  Sorry....not much of a techie.  I'd like to see what others input on these patterns are.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 10:53:00 PM by Syndi »

Debby

• Paid Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 11:07:17 AM »

I'm more than glad to help, Syndi.  There's another way that might be more straight forward for you.  Go to cjpatterns.com; scroll to the bottom of the page and there is information about joining the Facebook page.  Plus you will probably enjoy reviewing the information on the actual website too.  Please let me know if this doesn't work for you...I can always message Ann Siegle to get in touch with you.  (There's more than one way to do this  :) )

Syndi

• Shop my Etsy Shop
  • Paid Member
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 09:54:45 PM »

Thank you Debbie...so nice of you to do a bit of hand holding  :)
ETA:  couldn't find anything on joining the group on FB- but I googled and found her blog....which led me to the correct FB page....it was called "Christine Jonson Sewing Circle".....joined... ;D  thanks again debbie!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 10:12:46 PM by Syndi »

Debby

• Paid Member
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 10:14:45 PM »

Syndi, wonderful!  And we've had success!

Syndi

• Shop my Etsy Shop
  • Paid Member
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 10:28:32 PM »

happy dance!  :-*

Fabric Mart Fabrics Style Arc Sewing Patterns Put Your Ad Here
Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here Put Your Ad Here