Author Topic: Demented Fairy's SWAMP [More than the Sum of its Parts]: comment in main thread  (Read 5208 times)

Offline dementedfairy

• The Demented Fairy blog
Hellooooooo!
Last year was a bust, so I'm going to try harder this time.  Keeping it all for me, mostly tried and tested patterns, and attempting to stick to using up stash as much as possible.
I've done two blog posts while thinking it over [links attached] and have got this far:

Theme- geometric shapes, with that art teacher vibe.  I'm wearing this sort of look more and more, although I mainly go for dresses, and don't tend to wear jackets or cardigans...so for this to work, it will need to be mainly separates that still are suitable for work, but comfy for my cylindrical shape.

Title: 'More than the Sum of its Parts', tagline will be SWA[M]P [Sewing With A Mathematical Plan]

Neutrals:  Black and grey.  I have plenty of fabrics and oddments in these colours, and have made several things lately using a variety of remnants, and really like the effect.  they also go well with my favourite colours and wardrobe staples of purple, blue and green.

[THat's my most recent make, Butterick 6248]

Accent colour- red.  I noticed a lack of red in my wardrobe this year, and have made a few items which cheer me up no end, especially at this time of year.

[That's Vogue 1312, Lynn Mizono, I now have three of these, very nice to wear]

Prints- not selected yet, as I need to rummage through stash some more, but I do have a length of black and white mathematical formulae print on cotton.  This may prove useful!

Patterns are from stash, mostly Vogue so far, with Betzina, Tilton and Mizono showing up strongly.

Here are the blog links
https://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2017/12/08/swap-2018/

https://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2017/12/09/more-swap-thoughts/
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 05:46:51 PM by dementedfairy »
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

Offline dementedfairy

Plans are developing.  I narrowed down the pattern pile, and have been rummaging through stash for suitable fabrics.  MOST of the fabric I want to use is in remnant form...so there will be some creative piecing and mixing going on.  I'm absolutely determined not to buy any fabric, this is going to work without if it kills me!
As it stands at the moment:
Bottoms:
StyleArc Daisy wide legged trousers in black linen
Vogue 2971 Koos van den Akker skirt in black cotton and black maths print [print #1] + red trim
Vogue 9114 Brenne skirt in black linen OR black taffeta
[+ RTW Vera Wang grey leggings]
Tops:
2 x Vogue 8793 Tilton tops, one black, one black/grey stripe [counts as print 2?]
Vogue 1415 Platt tunic  not sure of fabric yet
B6287 pieced tunic in red velvet and plisse.  Maybe.
Style Arc Daisy tunic, various grey fabrics

That's 9.  I just decided that I might copy Ruth and use a red, never-worn, Style Arc Toni dress as a coat/waistcoat with just a little change.

I need more grey, so will be rummaging some more in stash to see what happens.  the remaining patterns I may use are K4173 cut to tunic length, and Vogue 8434 a wrap tunic...so I'll be one garment over the count, giving me some leeway to change my mind again!

I've used about half of these patterns at least once.  I think  this gives a nice mix of everyday and glam, but useable items.
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

Offline dementedfairy

More fabric choices dug out of stash.  And a blog post to show them all off
https://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2017/12/12/narrowing-down-my-choices/

These are actually my black fabrics, very much lightened to show the textures

Offline dementedfairy

Lots of folk are putting inspiration pics up, so here goes...

Offline dementedfairy

Still not got much sewing mojo- and I really want to finish my raincoat before moving onto SWAP items.  Of course, that means I'm being tempted by fabric shopping- I really do need another print, and keep getting emails from the Tiltons to tempt me.  SO PRICEY!  This one is calling me today, but it is exorbitant...

For the previously sewn item, I keep coming up with more options, another contender is this one- I made it a while back for the wife, and she has only worn it once.  As it's elastic waisted, I can get some use out of it, and it fits in nicely with the plan.

I really will just have to make more than the required amount and mix and match for the final selection.  Wah!

PS I'm REALLY glad that paywall or not, the SWAP will run on as planned.  Thanks for that!

Offline dementedfairy

Brainwave!  I really, really don't want to buy more fabric for this project, gorgeous or not so I'm breaking my habit of always using new fabric and doing some refashioning/harvesting.  I have three little 'skater' dresses which I made about five years ago, rubbed off from a little RTW summer dress, and wore to death.  They have survived several culls despite not really fitting my 'look' any more.

I have a sort-of maxi dress [it ends at ankle bone, as it was itself made from a limited amount of jersey] which I like, but don't wear any more.

And then I dug out this skirt, which also survived culls despite being impossible to do up- another rub-off interestingly, and used to be a favourite.  The fabric is a lovely midweight stretch cotton, and all grey/black, very useful.

Chop chop chop time!
I think the purple and red will make a nice pieced top, with some careful chopping, there should be enough fabric in the maxi to salvage a top.  I now have NO CLUE which print to use in the SWAP- the grey/red/black maxi might suffice as a substitute for that gorgeous Marcy Tilton print, but I don't know if I should take two colours, and go for red and purple or stick with the two print idea.  Maybe that black and white number print can sneak in as just black...how naughty can I be and still get away with the rules?  Does a print fabric in my neutrals actually count as a print, or do I just count it as a neutral? We'll see.

Offline dementedfairy

No sewing yet, but I finally got down to some cutting out yesterday.  Normally I'm a demon cutter, but because I was trying to piece my Style Arc Lani top from a potential FIVE grey fabrics [ended up using four] with all of them oddly-shaped remnants, it took a while.  I did have some wondrous serendipity though- most of the pattern pieces are oddly shaped, some having a very sharply angled corner- and one of my remnants allowed for that sharp point to be perfectly accomodated in its own point.  AND two other pieces fitted neatly into the remaining areas.  It made this mathematician very happy, and works well with the mathematical/geometric theme.
I'll be blogging it with pictures later today.
I think I need to cut out a couple of simple items today, probably the Brenne skirt from the re-claimed taffeta skirt which I partially disassembled last night...maybe some trousers or a simple crew neck top or three.  We shall see!

Offline dementedfairy

A good cutting day yesterday- I managed to squeeeeeeze the Brenne V9114 out of the taffeta steampunk skirt- although I had to introduce seams at CF and CB and pay no attention to grainlines...as it's a drapey style I should get away with it [she said]
Then I allowed myself to be totally and pleasurably distracted from SWAP by cutting out the frabjous V8858 from about 5m of embroidered and sequinned purple taffeta [which I was gifted some years ago] leftover from another steampunk item from my 2016 SWAP.  It was wonderful to find that again, I had EXACTLY enough fabric.  Most pleasing.
To finish the day I went for the Tom & Linda Platt V1415 cowl neck tunic in a very odd remnant of  red stretch velvet leftover from a cosy nightshirt for my DD a year or 2 back.  Cheap as chips, so I won't mind if it plays up and won't work nicely.  It took CONSIDERABLE faff for something with only 4 pattern pieces, but eventually I managed to squeeze it out, by shortening it by a scant 1.5".  Huzzah for being parsimonious!
Today I'm eyeing some slinky black jersey for an easy Tilton V8793 [or two], some heavy black linen and some black denim for trousers.  There are several possible trousers on the table, I plan to get all the pattern pieces out and compare crotch curves [as that's the crucial bit] using my silver-foil-sausage produced 'fishbowl' template.
More on the blog later!

Offline dementedfairy

More cutting today- Style Arc Daisy trousers in black linen, V1415 trousers in black denim, V1415 tunic in black swirl-embossed silky stuff.  More set up for tomorrow, but I've been doing some very cool and economical cutting so I'm more than happy.  Some pics and more details on the blog
https://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2018/01/03/cut-to-the-quick-or-to-the-slow/
https://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2018/01/03/cut-to-the-bone-2/

And a teaser lol

Offline Debbie S

• Subscribed Member
DF, I do sooooo love your humor and style of writing on your blog!  I laugh aloud and what great stress relief therapy that is after a stressful days work!   Thanks for sharing, you are truly a gem!!!

Offline dementedfairy

I think that's all the cutting out done- B8793 Tilton T shirt in black with a  mesh collar, B6287 pieced print, red and black fabric, and Kwiksew 4173 dress made [eventually] into a  tunic.  Phew!  9 items ready to sew, Several items waiting in the wings as already-made, and probably my RTW Vera Wang leggings [a snip from TKMaxx]
Every single scrap from stash or re-fashioned from the back of the wardrobe.  I feel very virtuous!
Blog post here https://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2018/01/04/short-cut/

Teaser

Offline dementedfairy

Finally off the  starting blocks- I bloody love this, finished sewing it and washed it last night so I could wear it to work today, and got loads of compliments.  Can't beat wearing something fancy when the workday is going to be crap!
Vogue 1415 Tom & Linda Platt tunic, red stretch velvet remnant , all sewn on overlocker and hand hemmed to get a slight scalloped edge.

Blog post and more pics here
https://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2018/01/11/platt-du-jour/

Offline dementedfairy

I followed up on the red top with a Vogue 8793 Katherine Tilton T shirt.  I've made this before so had no qualms about fit.  It went together without fuss, apart from when I bagged out the wrong edge of the collar pieces.  Overlocked of course, and I couldn't see the stitching on the black fabric, so just chopped it off.
It's a slinky viscose jersey, lovely and soft but not clingy, and I used some of my cheap as chips black mesh to make the double collar.  Overlocked in multi threads as usual, and I quite like the hint of red peeking through the mesh.  No pics of me wearing it yet though!

Blog post here https://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2018/01/14/tilton-at-windmills

Then I went on to the Style Arc Daisy trousers, which didn't go so well.  They're shelved for the moment while I make something happier!

Blogged here https://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2018/01/14/daisy-wears-me-troosers

Offline dementedfairy

Top #3 successfully completed.  Butterick B6287, tried and tested.  Fabrics mostly reclaimed from two favourite dresses that no longer get worn, so I feel good about that!
Not blogged yet

Offline dementedfairy

I wore the pieced top today, and it felt great, if a tiny bit chilly when I ventured into the draughtier corridors around the building [there's a lot of non-insulated glass around the place!]  The patterned fabric is THIN, I may need a camisole under this until warmer weather comes!
Heartened, I made the Brenne skirt tonight, and will try to get some pictures soon- daylight is not playing well, and indoor pics of black garments are...black!  It's a REALLY nice pattern, and I very much like the finished skirt, elastic waist for the win!

Offline dementedfairy

Brenne skirt  was duly worn for work today [not with the red top as I wore that the previous day, and one has standards to keep up!  I teamed it with a previous incarnation of the B6287, and as I'd hoped the various points and asymmetries work well together.  I felt very Stevie Nicks lol
More pics on the blog- sorry they are poor quality, being taken indoors but I have tried fiddling a bit with the contrast and brightness to make them visible at least!

Blog post here
https://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2018/01/17/gather-ye-rosebuds/
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 06:11:50 PM by dementedfairy »

Offline dementedfairy

...and yes, that is the Xmas tree  still up, it's our anti-January-blues secret weapon!   ;D ;D

Offline dementedfairy

Finally, home in time for some daylight pics.  We dashed outside to get some evidence of the 4 items made so far and their mixy-matchiness.  Teasers here and more on the blog here https://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2018/01/19/make-hay-while-the-sun-shines/

Offline dementedfairy

Next up- two very very simple tops.  Another pleat front tunic from V1415 in a mystery swirl-embossed poly, gifted to me years ago,  and from another gifted bit of yardage, a grey/black/white striped KwikSew 4173 asymmetric dress origami-folded to tunic length...
Photos tomorrow.
So that's 6 things made, woohoo!

Now I need to tackle those trousers, and make one more top.  Anything else is icing on the cake, just more choices!

Offline dementedfairy

Right, all blogged up to date, and I'm here to share.
V8793 Tilton T shirt with mesh collar blogged here https://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2018/01/22/back-to-black/
V1415 [yet another] V1415 tunic blogged here https://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2018/01/22/sharing-platt-ers/
and Kwik Sew 4173 dress-into-tunic blogged here https://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2018/01/22/stripe-tease/

For those who just don't like to follow the links, a couple of snaps [the KS tunic is worn over the Tilton T shirt]

Offline dementedfairy

Style Arc Lani tunic in various grey remnants is taking shape...but the shape seems rather large.  I got front and back assembled and slipped it on the check progress- I love the fabric combinations, and there's a lot of textural interest, but it makes me look like a steel drum right now.  I am going to try to introduce some shaping via the CB seam and the side seams, while keeping it as a slip on.  We shall see!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 02:15:48 PM by dementedfairy »

Offline dementedfairy

It worked!  I tapered out a couple of inches at CB waist, and a little at the sides, and ta-da it fits much better.  Pics soon, maybe tomorrow.
Just trousers now, although I may make a few more things and swap them about, as so many others seem to be doing!

Offline dementedfairy

Finished last night, worn to work today!  I like this [although it wasn't very warm when we has a fire drill and all got turfed out into the January chill...

Blog post here https://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2018/01/26/life-in-the-fast-lani/

Just the trousers to do.  Blimey that was straightforward [she said, thus cursing the trousers]

Offline dementedfairy

I did  ascreen grab of the collection so far, from an IMGUR folder.   I have blogged about my thoughts at this stage, and where I need to take this.  I'd appreciate any comments, here or on te blog itself

https://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2018/01/26/swap-so-far-going-strong/

« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 08:01:52 PM by dementedfairy »

Offline dementedfairy

A little light hand sewing to stitch the rose appliqué onto the Brenne skirt.  I like it!

Offline dementedfairy

Now that I got my crazy flamenco skirt finished, I got round to cutting out the tartan Brenne skirt  [V9114]
I barely managed to squeeze it out of the yardage, and had to cut it cross-grain and fold a tiny bit of width out, but it should be fine.  I have a plan for some funky pockets, no idea if they'll work out though!

Offline dementedfairy

Skirt is made - just one evening's work, which is nice.  I haven't made the pockets yet, but will play with them after I wear the skirt to work tomorrow, to cheer myself up!  This is a VERY wearable skirt, as well as being interesting.

Offline dementedfairy

Well the skirt cheered me up no end at work, so even though it looks very creased in these pics, I don't care!

Blog post here https://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2018/02/07/not-kilty-mlud/
and the usual teaser pic

Another V9114 Kathryn Brenne skirt, in the lovely cotton tartan which I bought from the stash of a member of 'The Sewing Place'. 

Offline dementedfairy

Distracted, too many ideas, too much lovely fabric and too many patterns.  I LOVE IT!
Blogged herehttps://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2018/02/17/action-and-distraction/

Beautiful 2nd hand sari I just bought...

Offline dementedfairy

THere was a lot of faffing about [for me] before I could crack on with the latest projects:  two more Style Arc Lani tunics pieced from fun prints and remnants, Vogue 8434 [kaftan? tunic? kimono?] from the red silk sari, and V9114 Brenne trousers in linen/cotton blend.  It's not all SWAP, but any of them could make it into the final set...
I really MUST Sew up the Platt rousers and fix the linen Style Arc Daisy trousers before sewing them though!
Blog post here https://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2018/02/23/up-the-cut

Only one of these is in the most recent batch...

Offline dementedfairy

At last!  Back to work-sewing work, as the college is closed for some form of repairs hurrah!
I cut out two more Style Arc Lani tops a week or 2 ago [or more, who knows?]  and started sewing the two together last night.  The first couple of steps are faffy- mitering the hem corners, darts, pockets, but then it goes together very quickly.  Making two at once is even more efficient, I find.
I'm LOVING the fabrics and colours.  Here's a teaser, they should be done [and maybe even blogged] later today.  Probably only one will make the SWAP, or neither...but they will go with everything else, which is fine by me!  Still no further with the two pairs of black trousers, but now the machines are threaded in  black/grey, who knows?

Offline dementedfairy

The Lanis are both done, pics tomorrow.
I LOVE the black one, it's really good, the animal print one lacks something...I think  I may need to add some red trim [I meant to do piping in some of the seams, but rushed ahead, so I'' experiment with some ribbon instead.]

I stitched up the T&L Platt [V1415] denim trousers, and they were humungously wide.  Mad.  I stitched in at the side seams 1-1.5" all the way down, and they still look very baggy, plus [horror of horrors] a hug excess of vertically folding fabric at the crotch.  It looks obscene.

How do I get rid of it?

These may get binned...

Offline dementedfairy

Here we are- sorry for the creases, I got ready for pics and the missus went out on a ramble so I had to sit and wait.  And I'm a natural scruff!
Blog post here https://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2018/03/11/two-lani-traffic/

And a teaser pic here

Offline dementedfairy

2 weeks have gone by, and I've done ZERO SWAP sewing...but I do have this wedding dress on the go, so I have an excuse.  Work is also hellish, no other word for it, and by the time I come home, and have a weep, I don't feel like doing much.
Holiday time coming up though, so let's see what transpires!

Offline dementedfairy

Hallelujah!  Progress at last!
I settled down to some SWAP sewing yesterday, and knocked out a rather nice pair of summer trousers in red crinkled cotton/linen, using the now great favourite, Vogue 9114 [Kathryn Brenne]
The funky little gathered insert at the ankle is really fun to sew, a nice little jigsaw, and although the trousers are very baggy, [not my usual look] and the fabric is very loosely woven [so will not have  a very long life],  I think they'll be fun to wear, and very cool.
I don't have pics of me wearing them yet, but will be blogging later today, so hope to share then.  Meanwhile, here's a teaser

They look cherry red here, but it's actually darker