Author Topic: Crochet  (Read 15350 times)

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
Re: Crochet
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2011, 04:16:11 PM »
That's a nice looking overdress or beach coverup, Amanteslove. I can see it worn over a pale blue silk shift.

Your crocheting reminds me of some of the work in this Crochet So Fine book:

Kathryn
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 04:18:38 PM by fzxdoc »

Offline Amanteslove

• creating with love -amantes
    • my work shops
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2011, 04:24:10 PM »
in really i dont using any journals mostly trying combination of what i see Internet so sure were more journals and others ideas all work like suitable  clothes , only choosing ornaments colors and it is making new look were hard something very much new find
alive you can be just when given something to world.
If like and wish my works can find here for clothes http://www.zibbet.com/amanteslove and supplies http://www.zibbet.com/Kleosupplies

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2011, 04:27:13 PM »
Amanteslove, that's what is so charming about your work, its spontaneous creativity. But I thought you might want to click the link and flip through a few pages of that book. You might get an idea or two from it. :)

Kathryn

Offline Amanteslove

• my work shops
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2011, 04:59:19 PM »
yes thanks that i was and did it is amazing
If like and wish my works can find here for clothes http://www.zibbet.com/amanteslove and supplies http://www.zibbet.com/Kleosupplies

Offline Amanteslove

• my work shops
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2011, 03:25:02 PM »
oh well trying up that crochet theme with my other swim suit :)

Offline Karendee

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2011, 09:09:12 PM »
Wonderful bathing suit.

Karen

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2011, 09:25:41 PM »
Oh, Amanteslove, that bikini turned out really pretty! I like the floral embellishment with little pearl beads on the top and bottoms.

Kathryn

Offline Amanteslove

• my work shops
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2011, 03:57:39 AM »

Offline Amanteslove

• my work shops
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2011, 05:04:17 PM »
This boots my last work , what i am very happy , they did of perfect Virginie wool , just by photo inspiration and some details changes .
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 05:07:50 PM by Amanteslove »

Offline Linda 75142

• Seams Well Blog
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2011, 02:20:02 AM »
Just finished this baby afghan.  Such a simple, yet pretty pattern.  Details and source of the pattern on my blog.
If you want a simple pattern, this one is for you.  Would be a good beginning type project.

Linda T

"The past is history, tomorrow's a mystery, today is a gift; that's the reason they call it the present." --Mike Ditka

www.seamswell.blogspot.com

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2011, 07:55:48 AM »
What a sweet little baby afghan, Linda. I love the edging.

Kathryn

Offline Elona

Re: Crochet--Sophie Digard creations
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2011, 02:26:59 AM »
In Honfleur, France, one shop, the strangely named “Gris Pomme” (Grey Apple), carried the only Sophie Digard crochet scarves I have ever seen in person (her micro-crocheted things were featured in the movie, “Bright Star").  I was pretty taken with these and halfway sneaked a couple of photos through the shop window--in front of the owneress, who gave me the almighty fish-eye but I kept right on snapping those images.

These creations are something else.  The granny squares in the images I am linking to are made of teensy units:  The more earth-toned one is composed of  3/8” squares, and the closeup, somewhat unsharp, backlit one is made of  3/4” squares.  They appear to be worked with a single strand of a slightly hairy wool yarn—maybe under a magnifying glass, unless the woman has supernaturally sharp eyes!  Rather significantly, the scarves I captured had no price tags attached, but a necklace consisting of maybe ten or a dozen little crochet flowers, widely spaced, was 95 euros.

http://community.webshots.com/album/581849485ExkoaQ

Offline AnnRowley

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2011, 10:11:27 AM »
Elona - what wonderful work! No wonder they charge so much...

I'm currently working on a crochet project using lace weight wool and 1.5mm hook and am beginning to wonder if I'm completely mad! The photos have encouraged me to keep going...

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2011, 01:32:39 PM »
Elona, thank you for linking to those photos. The scarves are amazing. I can't imagine one square being 3/8 inches, with 2 rounds of crocheting. Wowza. I'm inspired to work on a knockoff of this idea, but am not sure I would have the patience. It sure a beauty, though.

Ann, persevere with your project. It's going to be wonderful, I'm sure.

Kathryn

Offline Fabricarts

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2011, 01:41:10 PM »
Elona, how inspiring to have seen her work in person. I just googled her name and see that she is also working with linen now. I had only seen wool mentioned in the past. Then I found some amazing pictures of necklaces which she made using velour and crochet at The French Needle boutique. The quality of her crochet skills is amazing but also her eye for color and her use of shapes is so appealing. 

Ann, let us see or know about your crochet project when you're ready to share. I'm glad you're encouraged to keep going. I'm silently cheering you on.

Kathryn, take a look at her embroidered wool shawl at the link above. I believe it was done only with French knots. I'd love to see what her work inspires you to do.
Miriam

Offline andib

« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2011, 02:00:19 PM »
Elona, Wow thanks for the photos. Her work id really stunning.

I have had my eye on some alpaca laceweight yarn, and not really enthused about knitting (does that ever happen that you feel like you have the coordination to crochet, and knitting feels "off"), so now I have an idea about crocheting that alpaca.

I can see an entire sweater made with those tiny squares! 

I cannot wait to see what you do with your project Ann. You are so prolific with your hand work!

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2011, 04:02:39 PM »
I can see an entire sweater made with those tiny squares! 

That is completely MAD, I tell you.

I must pick up my pretty hairpin crochet scarf in laceweight mohair again.  I've found the hook and it should stop languishing behind the chair in a bag.
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline vtmartha

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2011, 04:35:38 PM »
Such gorgeous scarves and necklaces!  Thank you for sharing.  I, too, will be looking forward to reports on your progress, Ann.

Offline joan71

« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2011, 12:42:29 AM »
Elona and Fabricarts, thank you so much for introducing me to such wonderful needle art.  I can't believe someone can crochet fast enough to make that many items.  Wow!
Ann, I will be anxious to see your handwork....you do such quality, I am always impressed.  Such a treat to see such eye candy.

Offline AnnRowley

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2011, 10:51:10 AM »
I'm absolutely amazed by the details on the French Needle site. I wonder what yarn she uses?

And this is what I'm working on; Lovely Shawl from Rowan Lace. The yarn is laceweight wool/alpaca.

I'm doing the large motifs in purple, the small in silver and joing them with pink. At least that's the idea...
It will take absolutely ages - more next year.  ;D

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2011, 12:20:26 PM »
Ann, your shawl will be beautiful; the color combination is so pretty.

Miriam (fabricarts), thank you soooooo much for the link to more Sophie Dirgard creations. They're amazing and inspiring. I keep going back to that site again and again to study the scarves. When the holidays are over I hope to be able to try my hand at one of them.

Kathryn

Offline vtmartha

« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2011, 12:47:20 PM »
Ann, your shawl will be lovely, indeed!  Especially in those colors.

Offline andib

« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2011, 02:17:46 PM »
OMG Ann, That is fabulous! The colors are perfect too!  Are the motifs done separately , then joined, or is it join as you go?

Every time I make something that the motifs are made separately, then joined later, I always lose some of the motifs and cannot finish the project.

Remember those daisy afghans from the 70's?  I lost a bunch of the daisies, only to find them when I left for college 8 years later!

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2011, 02:25:32 PM »

Remember those daisy afghans from the 70's?  I lost a bunch of the daisies, only to find them when I left for college 8 years later!

I have one of those, andi! It's on the sofa in the TV room, for a bit of kitsch.

Kathryn

Offline Weezie17

• Courage is found in unlikely places. --Tolkien
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2011, 04:18:03 PM »
Oh, wow! I didn't know so many people were still crocheting.  :) All my friend's knit, and they are SERIOUS knitters. LOLOLOL

Anyway, i picked up this book at a used book store, about a month ago, and thought that after the holidays I might try some of the patterns.

http://www.amazon.com/Vogue-Knitting-Go-Crocheted-Scarves/dp/1931543429/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1321978297&sr=1-3

Offline Elona

« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2011, 04:51:49 PM »
Ann, that will be a lovely, romantic shawl.

As to a whole Digard sweater constructed of those tiny motifs, there was a stunner in "Bright Star":

http://www.google.com/search?q=sophie+digard+bright+star&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1024&bih=644&sei=6s_LTu7dPKmysAKn47mCDw

I suspect her yarn must be custom made. The winter scarves I saw were of a yarn I have never seen before:  it looked like fine wool, not fuzzy, but not hard or smooth, either.  It appeared to have the occasional longish 'hair' coming off it at intervals.  I remember thinkiing I would hate to have to rip back using that yarn.

Offline AnnRowley

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2011, 10:28:50 AM »
  Are the motifs done separately , then joined, or is it join as you go?

Every time I make something that the motifs are made separately, then joined later, I always lose some of the motifs and cannot finish the project.

The large motifs are made separately and the joined together in rows, with another little motif inserted.

I now need five motifs for the next row - and so on...  This gives me a change of pace and, hopefully, will spur me on. There's about ten days work here.

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2011, 10:38:45 AM »
Very dramatic!  Thanks for showing us the in-progress pictures.
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline andib

« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2011, 07:14:13 PM »
 Thanks for sharing the closeup photo Ann.  It looks beautiful! I think the thing I like about crochet motifs is how they work together in a mathematical sort of way.

There's about ten days work here.
I was going to say "are you kidding", but I know you are not!  You must be the fastest crochet-er around!  That whole project would take me so long that I wouldn't even figure out how many hours go into it.  Then, I have 2 teenage distractions and my DH!

Offline Weezie17

• Courage is found in unlikely places. --Tolkien
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2011, 10:03:42 PM »
Oh Ann, your shaw is so beautiful!!!

Offline vtmartha

« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2011, 10:07:07 PM »
Your shawl is going to be very elegant, Ann!

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2011, 02:30:40 PM »
Wow. That is going to be one spectacular shawl, Ann.

Kathryn

Offline joan71

« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2011, 04:36:58 PM »
Ann, just lovely and those colors will be beautiful  for you.....or is the shawl to be a gift?

Offline Linda 75142

• Seams Well Blog
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2011, 01:16:32 AM »

If you are looking for a quick project for a gift or for yourself, I found one.  I made this in about 1.5 hours this afternoon.  Very easy and a fun project.  Blogged about it if you want a bit more info.

Pattern here:  http://blog.naturallycaron.com/2011/11/08/hour-and-a-half-cowl/
Linda T

"The past is history, tomorrow's a mystery, today is a gift; that's the reason they call it the present." --Mike Ditka

www.seamswell.blogspot.com

Offline andib

« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2011, 02:30:47 AM »
Very fun scarf/cowl, and the possibilities are endless!

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics