Author Topic: Maxi-Lock Stretch Serger Thread  (Read 7333 times)

Offline reanns

• Re's Home on the Road
Maxi-Lock Stretch Serger Thread
« on: December 11, 2010, 12:22:32 PM »
I read a short snippet about this new thread and then found it on Atlanta Thread & Supply Co's website for $3.75 a spool (Much, much cheaper than any other sewing website).  Couldn't resit the urge to purchase spools in basic colors and see how and what it does when sewing knits and other stretchy fabrics.  The label says 'great stretch and recovery, makes soft, smooth seams, ideal for swimwear, lingerie, fitness wear, undergarments."  I just purchased some yummy bamboo knits and thought I would give it a try on that 4-way stretchy fabric.  Wondering if anyone out there in Sewing Wonderland has tried it yet? 

ReAnn

Offline Gigi Louis

• Sewing is my passion!
    • BehindTheSeams.wordpress.com
Re: Maxi-Lock Stretch Serger Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 02:08:00 PM »
Sounds similar to Woolly Nylon.  If it is, I have found that it runs about two numbers tighter in the machine so you need to loosen the tensions. 
Gigi (who's going broke saving money sewing)

http://behindtheseams.wordpress.com

Offline reanns

• Re's Home on the Road
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 02:17:40 PM »
Gigi - I thought that too, but it's not 'fuzzy' or wooly, just stretchy thread.  Will certainly play with it and let you all know what I think.  It's like being the in the General Mills test kitchen - only this time a 'sew-test kitchen'  :laugh:

Offline Gigi Louis

• Sewing is my passion!
    • BehindTheSeams.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 03:16:19 PM »
I'd love to hear about it as I haven't seen that thread locally - and probably won't.
Gigi (who's going broke saving money sewing)

http://behindtheseams.wordpress.com

Offline andib

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 03:49:38 PM »
I saw it there too, and couldn't justify spending the money, since I really don't know how/why this is better.  I can't wait for you to give us the scoop!

Offline reanns

• Re's Home on the Road
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 04:00:44 PM »
Our ASG Chapter has Sew Camp for 4 days seaside in Myrtle Beach the 3rd week of January and that's when I plan to experiment with this new 'find.'  Will be sure to keep you all posted on the results.

Happy Holidays everyone!

ReAnn

Offline judith

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 09:57:16 PM »
Reann, I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of the thread. But where did you find the yummy bamboo? I used to get mine from wazoodle, but she has just about no stock of anything any more, so I'm looking for new supplier.
Most people are as happy as they allow themselves to be. (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline reanns

• Re's Home on the Road
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 01:49:21 AM »
Judith, I got my bamboo knit from Frabric Mart.  They have the most marvelous colors at great prices - $12 a yard.  Here's the link
http://www.fabricmartfabrics.com/xcart/Bamboo-Knits/

Enjoy - give yourself a Christmas present!  And be sure to read Shams blog on how to work with these stretchy darlings.

ReAnn

Offline judith

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 11:03:46 PM »
Thanks ReAnn, I will get some bamboo from fabric mart but will probably wait until after Christmas. The local ford dealer had a deal I couldn't refuse and I found myself buying an (unplanned) new car today. I'm excited, of course - this car has all the bells and whistles - but prudence demands that I at least wait until next year to indulge in fabric. Durned good thing next year is just a couple of weeks away!
Most people are as happy as they allow themselves to be. (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 06:03:16 PM »
The local ford dealer had a deal I couldn't refuse and I found myself buying an (unplanned) new car today. ..

ooooooooh a new car for christmas.  Santa was very good to himself this year.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
Reann, I'm very interested in how this thread performs. So please come back after your sewing retreat and give us an update! BTW, your retreat sounds heavenly. You go on the best trips!

Kathryn

Offline Ann C

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 11:14:03 AM »
Sounds like it may be similar to Mettler Metrolene.  It says that it is nylon and that is what Metrolene is.  Metrolene was recommended to me several years ago for working on lingerie, etc.  It's a very fine, soft, stretchy thread.  I'm anxious to hear about your experience also, Reann.  I hadn't noticed it until now. 

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 01:59:47 PM »
Ann, I've never heard of Mettler Metrolene either. Does Hancock Fabrics or Joanns carry it, or do you have to order it from a place like Atlanta Threads?

Have you used it for anything besides lingerie?

Kathryn

Offline bessiecrocker

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 10:49:16 AM »
I'm trying to find some way to confirm this but I think Mettler recently got bought out by someone else (or something similar.) Anyway, they seem to be changing the names of all their thread lines. The Metrolene overlock thread seems to be renamed as Serelene, for example. I still find the old thread in the stores...so it will take awhile before this change hits, perhaps. Look for Mettler in places that have Bernina products. (At least for the present...I think a German company took over Mettler, which is Swiss.)

Offline LynnH

• Me at 10
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 04:03:18 PM »
Once you mentioned that, I was able to find a cached press release.  Because of how I Googled it, my attempt to insert the url did not bring back the cached results.  So I'm copying in the old text from the Mettler site.  If you want to Google it yourself, search on 'mettler merging the two thread' and select the cached version.  For me it was the first hit.

NEW ALL-ROUND SEWING THREAD RANGE SERALON WITH 430 COLOURS
From 1 January 2010, Amann Group Mettler will be merging the two all-round sewing thread ranges Metrosene (formerly with 238 colours under the Mettler brand) and Seralon (formerly with 350 colours under the Amann brand) to form the new brand Amann Group Mettler SERALON. The merging will facilitate a pooling of know-how – a gratifying result of this is a substantial extension to the colours. The all-round sewing thread SERALON is available in 430 colours and in the lengths 100 m and 200 m with immediate effect. The all-round sewing thread, however, also shows considerable colour ranges in the traditional areas of usage– The new all-round sewing thread SERALON is available in the lengths 30m (no. 30), 50m (no. 100) and 500m (no. 100).

Lynn

Offline Ann C

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 06:16:04 AM »
Kathryn,

I was wrong about Metrolene being nylon - it is poly!  It doesn't have an awful lot of stretch, but does have some.  What I originally bought it for was the 3rd thread in doing a rolled hem.  It helps to wrap the upper looper thread around the edge of the item being hemmed but is such a find thread, it almost becomes invisible.  It was recommended by my sewing machine dealer in Beckley and they really new what they were talking about.  It helped make the prettiest rolled hem I'd ever made, using wooly nylon as the wrap thread.  It is available from several on-line sources.

I hadn't heard about Mettler merging with the other company.  I wonder what that is going to mean to my favorite thread?  Mettler is so hard to find - at least for me - and I usually purchase online from Uncommon Thread.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 08:11:55 AM »
Thanks for the info, Ann. I'm going to try to find some. Rolled hemming on my serger could use a little more prettiness. I like what it does, but would appreciate an improvement.

Kathryn

Offline sliderule

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 03:12:36 PM »
The Hancock's in my area carries Metrosene.  If I remember correctly, Hobby Lobby also has a limited selection of colors.
Anne C.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 03:17:17 PM »
Anne, our Hancock's does as well, but I don't recall seeing that type of Metrosene, Metrolene, that AnnC described. I'm going to call them to see if they carry it.

I'm still waiting for Reeann's report. I bet she does something totally kewl with it.

Kathryn

Offline reanns

• Re's Home on the Road
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 06:16:22 PM »
Our ASG Chapter Stitch Camp is next week and my stretch thread is already packed with at least 1/2 of my sewing room going along!  Will report on how this works when I return - promise.

ReAnn

Offline bessiecrocker

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2011, 09:14:56 AM »
I just saw the new Mettler thread in the store this week. There was a hand lettered sign taped up over the old one. Only the serger thread was changed. The rest of the Mettler display was the same, except that they had a sign featuring "Now in more colors".

So far it looks as if Metrosene, the normal thread, still has the same name. Seracor is the new name for regular overlock thread. Seralene is the fine overlock thread (that's the one I saw.) Seraflock is the overlock thread with high stretch for lingerie, etc.

Offline reanns

• Re's Home on the Road
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 05:56:44 PM »
Sorry I haven't replied to this post for so long.  I did take the Maxi Stretch thread with me to Sew Camp and found that it was very close to wooley nylon.  The problem I had with it, using it only in the loopers, was that it first tended to want to fall off the spools and wrap itself around the thread pins.  Second, it wanted to 'fall off' the edge of the knit fabric I was sewing on.  Does that make any sense?

Like wooley nylon, it 'filled in' the spaces nicely and when I used it for a rolled-lettuce edge, it looked wonderful, but continued to fall off the rounded edges of what I was sewing.  So what would I suggest about purchasing some of this?  Guess I would say nice to have in your thread stash, but not a must-have or easy to work with.

ReAnn

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 06:08:53 PM »
..  Second, it wanted to 'fall off' the edge of the knit fabric I was sewing on.  Does that make any sense? ..
  Yes but for the life of me I can't remember what it's called.  It's occurs (1) when a fabric too loosely woven and won't support the weight of the thread (2) when the stitch is placed to close to the edge - there is a better explanation - an (3) one of the tensions is too tight but I don't remember which one.  You correct #1 by adding a stabilizer to the edge such as Seams Great, interfacing or an embroidery stabilizer.  #2 make sure your cutting blade is taking at least a 1/8" bite of the fabric and (3) playing with the tensions or adding the stabilizers as in #1  Course, it could just be a crappy thread.  Did you try any of the fixes?

Offline reanns

• Re's Home on the Road
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2011, 01:09:10 PM »
No, sdBev, didn't think to try any 'fixes' as I was thrilled I had gotten my serger to do a rolled edge.  And since the majority of the shirt did just fine, I just went back over the areas where it had fallen off.  You can see the results on the Sewing Workshop Patterns topic - it's my 'opps.'

ReAnn

Offline andib

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2011, 01:19:04 PM »
When that happens on my Babylock Evolve I flip my lever(differential ?) up a notch or two.  I think that means I move it in the direction of more gathering, or feeding more fabric per second.  OMG, I am so tired that I cannot even think straight! :-[ Or wright straight!

Offline reanns

• Re's Home on the Road
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2011, 09:36:06 PM »
andlib - I have the same serger so I will give your suggestion a try the next time.  Thanks!

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2011, 04:36:48 PM »
Sorry I haven't replied to this post for so long.  I did take the Maxi Stretch thread with me to Sew Camp and found that it was very close to wooley nylon.  The problem I had with it, using it only in the loopers, was that it first tended to want to fall off the spools and wrap itself around the thread pins.  Second, it wanted to 'fall off' the edge of the knit fabric I was sewing on.  Does that make any sense?

Like wooley nylon, it 'filled in' the spaces nicely and when I used it for a rolled-lettuce edge, it looked wonderful, but continued to fall off the rounded edges of what I was sewing.  So what would I suggest about purchasing some of this?  Guess I would say nice to have in your thread stash, but not a must-have or easy to work with.

ReAnn

Thanks for the info ReAnn. I may set about finding some Maxi Stretch thread. I wonder if Hancock's carries it now. Anyway, I've been waiting for your report on its use, and am happy to hear that you recommend it, even with reservations. It may have a wider color palette than some of the wooly hoze do. I'm going to investigate that.

Kathryn

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics