Author Topic: Morzel's spring weather SWAP *comments in the main thread*  (Read 1733 times)

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
Morzel's spring weather SWAP *comments in the main thread*
« on: November 14, 2017, 10:21:56 AM »
You are the Designer. Create a cohesive seasonal collection of eleven garments of your choice.

Season: I am going to sew for spring, spring here being cool, wet, windy with an occasional 'warmish' day.

Silhouette:  My sense of fashion developed in the 80s. So my typical silhouette is jeans, tshirt, sweatshirt/pullover/cardigan/shirt layer. Depending  on the temps, jackets vary from winter to transitional wool to raincoat.

Garments: To have something that will keep me warmer than jeans, I will go for wool pants (I had two pairs a few years back and it was great. But not as easy care). Sweatshirt, Hoodie, Cardigan, Tshirt. Shirt. Jeans. And a leather jacket.

Fabric: I want to sew from stash. Only buying when absolutley neccessary.  ::)

Colours: The options are 3 colours + 2 prints OR 4 colours + 1 print. I will use burgundy/plum, navy and grey. I will start sewing those colours/fabrics up and will determine along the way which other 2 fabrics to use. No need to decide just now.

Patterns: I got TNTs for my usual silhouette which I will use as a base. I am not very creative myself, but a good copycat. So I will look for ideas and vary my TNTs accordingly.

Plan: I will not plan out my SWAP in detail - the silhouette and the colours is the essence of my plan. I will just keep the whole picture in mind, as I sew along. As I will use stash, I will have to see what the fabric can be used for, if it looks good, if I will wear it etc.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 12:35:04 PM by Morzel »
Eva

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
Re: Morzel's spring weather SWAP *comments in the main thread*
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 10:57:33 AM »
Inspirations:

a few links:
Sweatshirt
Tshirt
hoodies

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 12:35:19 PM by Morzel »
Eva

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
Re: Morzel's cold weather SWAP *comments in the main thread*
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 10:58:13 AM »
a few more links (as I can't put them all in one post):

short cardigan
longer cardigan
button-up shirt

I mostly will not use the patterns, but use my selfdrafted TNTs. I did buy two cardigan patterns, though.
Eva

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
Re: Morzel's cold weather SWAP *comments in the main thread*
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 12:34:04 PM »

I finally finished my first SWAP item. I used my button down shirt TNT, but changed the collar to a collarless style that parts in front.
Eva

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 09:37:36 AM »
I finished a tshirt and started a sweater yesterday, finished the sweater this morning. No photos yet. Starting the next sweater right away - it pays off that I made up that pattern in November, so as to have it ready to use now.
Eva

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 09:37:10 PM »

I really like this tshirt. As I said before, I am not creative at all, but a copycat. For this applique I found the inspiration here. I used my tshirt TNT.
Got second thoughts about the sweater - I really like the velour but I think it's too plain and I don't like the sleeves. I tried a cowl neck but didn't find a size/shape I liked. Maybe I'll add a hood after all... the lower sleeves need to be changed also.

Am almost finished on a grey wool sweater with exposed seams, only the neckbinding is missing. Made a major error/overlooked points I should have aligned the pattern at, which I hate, but then that just happens when drafting/creating your own patterns or versions of pattern. Fotos tomorrow.
Eva

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 04:45:08 PM »

Now, I am much more satisfied with this sweater. This one is just how I envisioned it. Got the inspiration (again, copycat) from this:

The pattern I fashioned with a yoke. When cutting up the sleeve pattern for this version, I forgot to line up those seams with the yoke seam.  ::) A visual flaw, but a lesson learned. I hope.  ;D
I used a substanstial wool knit, which had been in stash for several years now.
So, now I really want to tackle a velour version again.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 04:50:44 PM by Morzel »
Eva

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 09:17:02 AM »
Found I didn't have enough velour left and went to the fabric store. Well... no velour, but a wonderful blue wool knit came home with me. As I was standing in the store, I got second thoughts about the velour sweater. I have always loved that sort of fabric. When it was fashionable in the 70s (at least here in Germany), I would have liked one myself. Didn't get one (got the clothes from my cousins), but admired my neighbour friend who lived in blue velour sweaters. SHE doesn't like them at all nowadays ( :D), but I would still like one... but as I was thinking about buying more fabric, I considered the shinyness of the fabric. It has a wonderful sheen to it and somehow I thought that might be the reason why it is difficult to get the sweater right - any flaw stand out right away, the fabric is not forgiving at all...
As I really want to sew myself another sweater, I bought a wonderful thick blue sweaterknit, 100% wool, with a beige inside. Leftover from a Max Mara collection, so the label said. So much for sewing from stash.  ::) I just need to prewash that to get it sewn up... so I think I will  start with pants now.
Eva

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 12:52:19 PM »

Finally finished another SWAP item. It turned cold here last week, so I am really enjoying this wonderful wool sweater. I was pondering the idea of using both sides of the fabric, again having the seam finish on the outside. But then, the fabric is blue/beige, and I am not into beige at all. So I kept it completely simple - no extra seams, no decoration. Just a simple, dark blue wool sweater. Actually, just what I like wearing!  ;D
Eva

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 08:07:20 AM »

This sweater is dark blue with little metallic sparkles in it - I also used the set in sleeve pattern and wore it alot in spring weather.

I am happy to have a sweater TNT!
Eva