Author Topic: Marcy Tilton Fabrics  (Read 7104 times)

Online andib

Marcy Tilton Fabrics
« on: November 27, 2010, 02:41:08 PM »
I know I shouldn't even be looking, but I am curious what you have purchased, and what the fabrics are like.  They are a bit more expensive, and , as usual, it is easy to lust after fabric on line.  If I knew it was fab, I might have to buy it and stop all this lusting!! >:D

If you don't mind sharing your experiences, I would appreciate it. TIA!

Offline blue mooney

Re: Marcy Tilton Fabrics
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 03:24:46 PM »
I haven't bought any of Marcy's fabric yet, because I was a little put off by the high shipping costs. But I recall in one of Marcy saying in one of her newsletters that the shipping $ given on the website ran high, and that actual charges would generally be less. She said you could do something like a pre-order online, saving your shopping cart, and then call to complete the order and get the actual shipping charges. This is a little more involved than normal, but would be worth it for nice goods.

I have to say, I like just about everything on her site....

Offline Towanda

• Baltimore , Maryland
    • Life is sew sew good
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 03:25:17 PM »
Great fabric, great service. I have several pieces waiting for me to work out fitting and design issues. The fabrics are more expensive and worth it. I love the weight and drape of her knits. I use great restraint when I check out her fabrics. I have seen several of her fabrics at other sites with a lower cost. So I check other sites before I place the order. This is one of the sites, where I don't mind the cost because the fabric is worth it. The shipping cost come out high but I have got a refund check with my order.
http://lifeissewsewgood.blogspot.com/
Happiness is an endless fabric budget

Offline Priceana

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 03:28:58 PM »
I have purchased from Marcy from her booth at the ASG conference as well as online.  I think the quality is very high.  You can sign up for a free newsletter - which I enjoy.  You will get advanced notifications of sales.  I purchased several pieces from her last sale and was very happy.  The computer calculates postage which can be high but I received a check for most of the difference since the final amount was lower.

Offline izzie

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 05:58:26 PM »
Marcy still has the fabric that I used for this top, and on sale too!  I bought mine from Emma One Sock, but it is the same stuff.  Very soft and lovely to wear, but with good stretch recovery. 

BTW this is the Hot Patterns Sunshine top that I frankenpatterned with an Ottobre tee sleeve and armhole.

Offline Elona

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 06:04:55 PM »
I have never been disappointed by any of Marcy's beautiful fabrics.  The shipping might seem a little high, but I think the difference between hers and that of other vendors really isn't that great anymore, and it's hard to imagine it getting any cheaper in our lifetimes.   :P

Offline margyh

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 06:14:17 PM »
I buy A LOT of fabrics from Marcy and I have NEVER been disappointed. She and Shelley are also wonderful at helping you find just the right fabric for a particular need. And I often get a refund check for postage. Yea, Marcy!

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 09:19:54 PM »
Yes, love Marcy's fabrics.  I've never been disappointed in anything I've purchased from her.  And Shelley is very helpful in finding fabrics that work together, etc.  Marcy usually sends a refund check for part of the shipping cost, so shipping is not has high as it looks on the website.  This is one of those "you get what you pay for" sites.  The only complaint I have about the site is that Marcy doesn't always tell you the fabric content.  She sometimes makes a guess at the content.  I guess I don't understand why she doesn't know the content, but then I'm not in her business. :-\
"This is emphatically not a quick project, just savour the process..."  Ann Rowley

My Blog
http://janssewingroom.wordpress.com

Offline cmarie12

• Diary of A Sewing Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 11:19:06 PM »
Me too!  I haven't bought alot from her but love what I've gotten!  I'm always lurking on that site because I love her choices!
Carolyn
"I've always maintained that freedom of speech does not mean freedom from responsibility. Choose your words carefully ~ Susan”
My blog:  http://sewingfantaticdiary.blogspot.com/
My Flickr Albums

Offline shams

• Communing With Fabric
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 01:10:17 AM »
I agree.  She chooses wonderful fabrics (often unique) of nice quality, and does not post the fiber content.  I'm used to shopping for fabric where the fiber content is not specified, so I don't mind.  :) 

Offline kaaren

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 04:28:56 AM »
Since Marcy often gets her fabric while she is in Paris, she often really doesn't know the actual content. ( I was there with Marcy and the beautifully labeled signs didn't always give helpful info!)  And I know that Marcy is one of those vendors that would not say the content unless  she knew.  I recently bought "wool" from a very respected vendor, but I have never seen wool flannel with cross grain stretch.  I am almost happier  knowing than to be told it is 100% and realize that  pressing and pretreating that it must not be as advertised.  I also think that if it were really important to you, either Marcy or Shelly would do a flame test for you.  Now if Marcy would just join those vendors having a period of free shipping!  Kaaren
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 04:22:32 AM by kaaren »

Offline drsue

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 04:19:35 AM »
Ditto!  I've bought from her are the fabrics are really quite nice. 

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 01:59:32 PM »
I just place a BIG order - when I called in the PO Marcy answered - had a nice visit with her!!  She said she was an early riser and was just fixing tea!!  This is my first order - was fun to visit with her!!
I refuse to tip toe cautiously thru life only to arrive safely at deaths door.
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...  'Oh darn ........ she's awake!!'
Age may wrinkle the face, but lack of enthusiasm wrinkles the soul

Offline shams

• Communing With Fabric
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 04:15:11 PM »
Nice, Marcia!  I called at midnight, Pacific time, with my CC info.  I got the machine.  ;)

Since she is filling the orders in the order they are received, I wouldn't wait if you want something.  She tends to sell out of fabrics when she offers free shipping.

I really like Marcy.  She is fun to talk to and a very interesting person.

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 06:45:02 PM »
I "might" go back and get some more knit!! :o :o :o  The thing I really wanted was the pant fabric.  Most of hers can be washed and will make great slacks.  For my casual lifestyle I was thinking I'd better cash in while I had the chance.  I ordered several pieces of denim!  (imagine that!!) and some ponte knit and some heavy knit!  I loved visiting with her.  She said - please don't let the shipping scare you - we talked about correcting it - but since she does most everything it probably is what it is.
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...  'Oh darn ........ she's awake!!'

Offline shams

• Communing With Fabric
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 06:55:53 PM »
I mostly bought off her sale page, though I did get a couple special pieces off her other pages, including her tencel denim.  I have a jacket planned for that one.  :D

Offline blue mooney

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 07:17:59 PM »
I bought several denims. I included the tencel one in my order, but when I called with the cc info (I actually talked to Marcy!) she said that one was running short and it might be gone.

Marcy explained that the shipping on the website is often wrong because the site software wasn't "tailor made" for fabrics, but it works well for her in other respects. I can certainly understand that as I am stuck with a website that I can't update all by myself. Some day I need to change that!

My order was all pants fabrics because I want to have complete outfits to go with all the jackets I'm going to make!

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 07:21:47 PM »
What about fabric for tops to go with the slacks and under the jackets!!  - - atleast that was my excuse for a couple pieces of knit!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline blue mooney

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 07:25:46 PM »
Far be it from me to diss anyone's excuse for buying fabric! It's easier to find material for tops (or I could just look in the stash), but nice denim is hard to find! This is my first order with Marcy; I'm hoping for good things!

Offline LynnH

• Me at 10
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 08:28:06 PM »
You guys are definitely enablers.  I'm heading to Hancock's for a mauve plaid and then returning home to find & purchase a coordinating pants fabric from Marcy's.  I thought about matching the jacket & pants and decided nah - not my style any more.
Lynn

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 05:20:35 AM »
Sigh....I was sorely tempted.  But, I just reorganized my stash and decided I need to buy less and sew more.  I don't have the space for one more plastic container!.  I'll be living vicariously through y'all, though.  Happy buying!
"This is emphatically not a quick project, just savour the process..."  Ann Rowley

My Blog
http://janssewingroom.wordpress.com

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 02:03:10 PM »
Sigh....I was sorely tempted.  But, I just reorganized my stash and decided I need to buy less and sew more.  I don't have the space for one more plastic container!.  I'll be living vicariously through y'all, though.  Happy buying!

Now, what makes you think that I'M going to buy less and sew more!! ;D ;D  But it is a wonderful concept!!  Today I'm going to clean both sewing rooms and do some flip-flop of furniture, etc.  After being here for 2 years I "think" I now know how I want my sewing machines set up!! ::) ::)

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 01:32:56 AM »
I received my fabric this afternoon.  VERY nice pant fabric - all washable.  Three pieces I ordered were sold out - and - I placed my order at 6:00am mst on Sunday morning.  I think Shams stayed up late the night before and got my denim tencel!! ::) ::)  However, I did save $150!! ;D ;D

Offline shams

• Communing With Fabric
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 01:52:42 AM »
Sorry about that, Marcia.  I called at midnight and, even so, got only 2.5 yards - I'd ordered more.  :)

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2011, 03:00:57 AM »
Sounds like they were low to start with!!  I'm happy with what I received and lord knows I've got more then I'll probably make up this year - but who know!  I LOVE to sew pants!!

Offline blue mooney

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2011, 03:47:00 AM »
Shams must have gotten the last of the Tencel. Maybe my order will come tomorrow - I only ordered 3 cuts, one of them was the tencel denim....and I KNOW I'm not getting that.

Offline kaaren

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2011, 04:02:52 AM »
Well, I didn't get some of the sale crinkled brown, heard it went to this coast!  But did get some of the rust sweater knit that it now on sale.  It is great but much more orange and green than I had expected.  I did get lots of the teal ponte, but it is dark.  Fine by me, but not a light teal.  Amazing how many yards can be stuffed into a fixed price mail pkg.  Thank you Marcy.  Kaaren

Offline shams

• Communing With Fabric
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2011, 04:10:33 AM »
My order came  yesterday but I just opened it.  They really managed to cram it into a flat rate box.  There is some real yumminess in this box!!  (And no, I didn't buy any ponte knits this time.  I have plenty of those.  ;) )

Offline joan71

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2011, 04:32:35 AM »
Kaaren, are your swtr. knits the Bloomsbury and Pompeii???  I have had my eye on them even before the sale.....but when you say that they are brighter than you expected, I 'm feeling like backing off.......I definitely prefer muted/grayed colors.  I do like vendors who use Pantone for identifying colors.

Offline kaaren

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2011, 04:56:56 AM »
Joan, I got the Pompeii, expecting a sl different look.  To me it is a more pumpkin look.  Not bad, but I should know better than to order without swatches.  It is just too autumn for me.  But....at the new sale price.... I feel like I  succumbed to the free shipping and should have just asked for a swatch.  Really, I am a solid color sewist.  I have to remember that my best option is to get up and over to Stonemountain and then to Piedmont and be home before two.  I loved it when Piedmont opened at 10 on Sundays.  Traffic was a dream.  My sort of goal this year, besides to learn the coverstitch on my Evolve is to use stash bulky fabrics.  I know it is only  46 degrees here but I am so cold and I know I should not complain, but I am soon to go under my electric blanket!  Wimpy, Kaaren

Online andib

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2011, 08:09:55 PM »
off topic:
My sort of goal this year, besides to learn the coverstitch on my Evolve

Don't wait, it it Sooo easy to do! I really like my Evolve, hope you do too.

Offline marie-louise

• Oakland, California, USA
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2011, 10:04:10 PM »
I got the boulder-colored Tencel/ cotton.What a wonderful fabric; thick like denim, but w/ a fabulous drape. I'm going to make V8489-the one w/ pockets-and use it as a slightly dressier pair of jeans. 

The color is different than I expected, but I like it better. It is almost the color of milk chocolate.

Offline blue mooney

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2011, 02:03:51 AM »
Mine arrived today! I got the finesse blue andd the black wrangler denims. Haven't washed them yet, but they are both very,very nice. The finesse deserves its name.
Marie-Louise, that Boulder stuff was on my list, too, but I decided to show a little restraint. Nice to know how it looks from someone that got some.

Offline marie-louise

• Oakland, California, USA
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2011, 04:45:24 AM »
Mine arrived today! I got the finesse blue andd the black wrangler denims. Haven't washed them yet, but they are both very,very nice. The finesse deserves its name...

We must have the same taste-I had my eye on that finesse. Does it have enough drape to make a pair of her loose-fitting pants?

Offline blue mooney

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2011, 02:37:37 PM »
Yes, I think so....when I was unpacking it, I thought how un-bulky a gathered waist would be in that fabric and that it would hang nicely. Will have to wash and see if that changes anything  before making a final decision, though. What about the Boulder? Drapey?

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics