Author Topic: CCL's Whatever Was I Thinking? SWAP (Comments in the main thread, please)  (Read 8970 times)

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
  • Fall down eight times. Get up nine times.
Re: CCL's Whatever Was I Thinking? SWAP (Comments in the main thread, please)
« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2018, 02:10:29 PM »
Hi CCL:

Thanks. Yes, it is the dress I'm wearing in my avatar. I love it except for the finish on that curved front seam, which is imperfect! The back seam is fine as there was no FBA there. I may post it here to see if people can help me to come up with FBA ideas other than what I did before I make another version. Otherwise, I love the skirt part as with the slight gathering at the hips I get plenty of ease without the dress shape being too wide for me.

Good point about the collar and inability to wear a jacket with that Vogue pattern. It's always the case that there are things that I don't notice before starting a pattern. Good to consider. It's still a lovely look. Not sure why but I have always liked a wide or boat-style neck.

PS If I may ask, how do you get such great pictures for showing what you want to show. Tripod?

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2018, 06:41:42 PM »
Hi CCL:
/snip/

Good point about the collar and inability to wear a jacket with that Vogue pattern. It's always the case that there are things that I don't notice before starting a pattern. Good to consider. It's still a lovely look. Not sure why but I have always liked a wide or boat-style neck.

PS If I may ask, how do you get such great pictures for showing what you want to show. Tripod?

I think it was Bessie who spotted the collar issue...I still struggle with visualizing proportions and everyone here is such great help!

Re photos:  Somewhere on the classic SG there's a thread about taking good photos... I couldn't find it quickly.

In respect to mine, most of the recent shots are with my Samsung Galaxy Edge 8. Sometimes I do a selfie in the mirror and sometimes BH is my camera man with the Samsung.  But the really good shots are ones he takes with some of his cameras - I will ask him what camera and lens set up he likes best for these.

Some of the really older shots are with my canon video camera, set to photograph, put on the counter and controlled via remote.

I think the trick to better shots is to find a white wall and stand about 3 feet away from it.  Oh, and try to use natural light as much as possible. My landing gets soft light through a window, so there's no direct light causing a lot of shadows or distortions of colors because of bright light.

Not sure that is much help.

PS.  He just reminded me that all the camera information for each photo is on its flicker page to the right of the comments.  So that might be useful as well.

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
  • Fall down eight times. Get up nine times.
« Reply #107 on: November 21, 2018, 02:40:05 AM »
Thanks, CCL. That is actually very helpful. I have a DSLR that I should be able to set up to take decent photos against a white wall. I do (sort of) have one of those! I think I need a tripod given that I don't have a great spot for balancing the camera.

Your posts are very helpful and I appreciate you taking the time to respond in such detail! I hope your husband is having a good day.