Author Topic: My first project with the new machine  (Read 3351 times)

Offline bluemerle

My first project with the new machine
« on: November 18, 2010, 08:57:24 PM »
So this took all day!  It was a blast though.  The embroidery was very easy since the machine did it all what was hard since I had already cut and folded the collar I couldn't get the lettering exactly where I wanted it so it is off center.  The more I played with the "layout" the more confused I got.  Now this pattern is the medium which is obviously to big for her but the small is to small so how would I adjust the pattern to be less baggy?  I could put a seam down the middle of the back but I really don't want to do that.  The cuffs I wanted tighter but couldn't figure out how to sew it without the flannel bunching, or is bunching okay?  Excuse my messy house.

Feel free to comment....BUT....NOOOOO laughing  ;D

Offline ejvc

• Machine-Knitting Cryptographer and Plan-Bot
  • Me about age 2
    • The Fabulous Dr E's Fabulous Blog
Re: My first project with the new machine
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 09:06:47 PM »
OK, you show a picture of a dog wearing pajamas and I'm not supposed to laugh? I don't think that's very fair.

Sorry I can't advise you on fit, I'm not a dog person!
My blog is at http://ejvc.wordpress.com

Sewing and machine knitting in Karlstad, Sweden!

Offline bluemerle

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 09:08:41 PM »
OK, you show a picture of a dog wearing pajamas and I'm not supposed to laugh? I don't think that's very fair.

Sorry I can't advise you on fit, I'm not a dog person!

I know I'm sorry...you can laugh at her outfit but not my lack of skillls...will that help?  ;D

Offline Doris W. in TN

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 10:12:54 PM »
I think the fit looks fine, but what do I know?  ;)   The cuffs look a little large because your dog is small-boned.   Perhaps a bit of ribbing would work on the front 'sleeves', to bring  it in like the back 'legs',  but not so tight that it fits right on her legs.  Otherwise, she has "design ease"  so plenty of room to move around.

More importantly, how does your dog like it?
iPad's auto-correct is my enema.

Offline bluemerle

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 10:24:10 PM »
I think the fit looks fine, but what do I know?  ;)   The cuffs look a little large because your dog is small-boned.   Perhaps a bit of ribbing would work on the front 'sleeves', to bring  it in like the back 'legs',  but not so tight that it fits right on her legs.  Otherwise, she has "design ease"  so plenty of room to move around.

More importantly, how does your dog like it?

Hi Doris,  The problem with leaving the legs so loose is come morning both rear legs are out lol...so I do think they need to be taken in a bit.  The material I used to bring in the snuggness on the legs (white) was a knit, do you think the ribbed would be a better choice?  She loves wearing them and being a form for me..now if I could get her son to stand still so I could do a smaller size I would be thrilled!!

I should also add that this material is just some that I purchased at a yard sale...I'm more of a cutsy pattern person but this was great and cheap practice.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 10:25:49 PM by bluemerle »

Offline Doris W. in TN

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 11:08:36 PM »
Ah, I  didn't realize they were sleeping PJs.   That would be a problem, as our dog can slip out of a harness unless it is skin tight.

Perhaps you might think about pinning, marking and making alterations to this garment, with basting stitches,  and then taking it apart in its altered form, and using that as a pattern.    Idea #2,   cut out the pattern between the two sizes.   Who would have thought sewing for the dog would be like sewing for ourselves, but they all have different frames, etc.
iPad's auto-correct is my enema.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 10:36:38 PM »
I'm loving that fabric, bluemerle.  Are those skeleton heads? Your doggie looks so stylish. She must get cold at night without jammies, huh?

I think you did a fine job, and hopefully with tweaks the pjs will fit better. Isn't it fun to learn a new machine with a project that turns out this nice?

Kathryn

Offline marciae

• Northern Colorado
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 02:51:24 AM »
I just now saw this thread - wow I love those doggie PJ's - too cute!!
If you're doing the best you can under your current circumstances... then kick up your heels and dance

Sometimes when things are falling apart they may actually be falling into place

Offline flyty9393

• Men Sew Too!
  • New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 04:30:04 PM »
This,in my opinion, is very different and unique in an innocently amusing way. You definetly will not find anyone else with this! LOL! With that being said, I love it!

Offline PugDog

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 12:49:21 AM »
Looks good to me!

Offline Jane S

• Jane Sews and Sews
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 03:21:39 AM »
I love the PJ's.  what pattern did you use?

Offline jamessm

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 03:23:20 AM »
that looks amazing. good job so far

Offline bluemerle01

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 12:55:03 PM »
Hi everyone..sorry for not posting any replies I had lost my computer for a bit and the site..as you can see I had to create a new user name etc.

Offline bluemerle01

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 12:55:43 PM »
Yes they are skelton heads...I found the fabric at a yard sale and it's flannel of course  ;D

I'm loving that fabric, bluemerle.  Are those skeleton heads? Your doggie looks so stylish. She must get cold at night without jammies, huh?

I think you did a fine job, and hopefully with tweaks the pjs will fit better. Isn't it fun to learn a new machine with a project that turns out this nice?

Kathryn

Offline bluemerle01

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 12:57:25 PM »
Simplicity 3939

I love the PJ's.  what pattern did you use?

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics