Author Topic: Knitting IV  (Read 62987 times)

Offline mardel

• Restingmotion
Re: Knitting IV
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2011, 12:49:43 PM »
Oh Andib, I feel your pain as well.  I hate it when that kind of thing happens with a knitting project and understand completely about your reluctance to rip it out.

And I am sorry I didn't get back to you sooner about the FBA short-rows. What I do is actually just like what Joan McGowan Mitchell describes in her free tank pattern.    Below is a photo showing the bust dart in a dress I just finished knitting.

Offline Marji

« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2011, 01:06:21 PM »
Popped in here after months away. ;(
I read on FB that StashPanache had passed away, so had to find an internet connection to sign in here. What sad news.

Anyway, of course I had to come visit the knitting thread.
Mardel, what a beautiful scarf. And Diane, that yoked sweater for a child is precious.
LisaB, I commiserate with you on the sweater that is such a disappointment. Hate it when that happens. I agree that giving it a time out may clarify for you whether you want to rip it or donate it or just shove it in a drawer.

It's nice to see all the familiar voices here. Hi to everyone from sunny Florida. We finally made it this far south on our boat.
Destination this month is to Marathon FL.
Right now I'm knitting and working on a needlepoint Christmas stocking for my granddaughter.
I've been resurrecting unfinished projects and finishing them. I think my days of startitis are finally over!! Yay! I'm really enjoying the process of finding where I am on projects and picking them up to finish. It's my goal to spend 2011 finishing up all the sweaters that are in process and make a few smaller projects too.
While in Beaufort, SC I taught a class in stranded knitting. And I've just finished knitting a tam designed by Kate Davies, pattern called Caller Herrin.  If you're on Ravelry you can see it  :clickhere:

I'll try to check in here more often.
Cheers, Marji

Marji

Offline Carolyn

• Carolyn's Sewing Room
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2011, 02:17:07 PM »
Marji,
It's great to hear from you.  Glad your travels are continuing well.  I loved your tam.  It is gorgeous.  I especially liked the pictures from the boat. 
Carolyn

"If God had intended for us to stay one waist size, he wouldn't have invented elastic"...  Christee Gabour Atwood

Blog:  http://carolynobryan.blogspot.com/

Offline LisaB

« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2011, 04:53:51 PM »
Mardel, thanks for posting a close-up of the dart. This is definitely on my list of things to try!

Marji, it's good to see you pop in. I love the tam. What beautiful colors! Many years ago I bought a pattern book of tam designs but never got around to making one. I do enjoy looking through that book, though.

My knit-two-socks-at-a-time project was put on hold for a short while to knit up a hat and bootie set for my cousin who is expecting her first soon. I got the idea at the last minute before her baby shower and had never made booties before. I chose the Hodge pattern, because they are supposed to actually stay on the baby's feet. I hope my cousin reports back to let me know if that is true.

The hat is here on Ravelry, and the booties are here. My booties came out looking a bit odd compared to the other wonderful versions on Ravelry, and I'm hoping that's just because of the yarn I chose and not because of my technique!

Offline Ann

« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2011, 03:48:24 AM »
I got my lesson on the magic cast on and after 7 tries I realized that I had to use 2 balls of yarn vs one to get the idea in my brain. I have half of the foot done and am enjoying the process. I think I might like this way of making socks.

Ann
Lives in Ashcroft, BC Canada - Desert climate and often the hot spot in BC and Canada.

Education is a journey, not a race.

Ann's Blogs
http://everythingsewing.blogspot.com/

Offline LisaB

« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2011, 01:03:35 PM »
Ann, I'm curious. Are you making one sock or two with those two balls of yarn?

Offline Ann

« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2011, 01:01:55 AM »
I am making two socks on one needle using a ball for each sock. When I used one ball of yarn, I had such a mess going that I was going to throw the "sock" in. If all goes well, the two balls of socks should make two pairs of socks. I will photograph what I am doing tomorrow.

Ann
Lives in Ashcroft, BC Canada - Desert climate and often the hot spot in BC and Canada.

Ann's Blogs

Offline andib

« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2011, 01:22:23 PM »
Mardel, thanks for the short row info.  I am so far from actually getting that project designed...but I like to learn things and then think about them for a while.  I will have to re-visit the magic loop thing.  I got the book, and I just don't "see" it. Then it would mean I would need to buy more needles ;).  My son's baseball season is in full swing even tho we have 3 feet of snow on the ground, and will for some time.  I think getting the socks that I have on needles finished might be a good goal, and then learn the magic loop for the next pair.

Thanks also for the condolences on the sweater.  I rarely have a knitting/crochet wadder.  I guess I have been lucky so far.  I think sewing and understanding the characteristics of knit/crochet fabric really helps to make the knitting projects fir well;or they make us pickier.

I crocheted a Lilly Chin vest from this pattern.

It is from knitandcrochetnow.com, free patterns, season 2

This photo makes it look kind of icky, but I did it in a medium denim cotton(that cheap stuff from Joannes) and it looks pretty good.  Sorry no camera/computer communication right now.  It is fast, interesting, and put together in a clever way.  I made the armholes deeper, and thus the front neckline deeper B/C I don't like tight armholes.  It looks good over a blouse.  This top needs something that is weighty for it to hang nicely.  I say a few versions on Ravelry that were done with acrylics, and I don't think that is the best for this top.  It would be nice in a more expensive yarn, but I kept w/in my budget!  I could see this in a silvery silk ;)

eta: img tags for name of link and page url to make image clickable  :)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 04:47:22 PM by andib »

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2011, 03:17:37 PM »
Lisa, I like your baby hat and booties.  Never seen booties like that before.  They look so much more sturdy than most.  Yesterday I wasn't able to see any photos on this computer and wondered if there something wrong with what I was reading, just no photos here.  Figured out that my computer was still listed as a student computer and not a staff one, so there were all sorts of firewalls and blocks on it.  That was fixed this morning, so I get to see your projects so much easier!

I have a very old pattern for baby booties that I think used to stay on pretty well.  I haven't made them in years because it seems that the newer socks stay on better.  I'll find out soon if that's really true.  My DD is having her baby at the end of March and if he kicks off the socks he gets, I'll whip up a couple of pairs of booties for him.  If I remember right, those booties worked up very quickly.  'Course, I wasn't working at the time I was making them, so it did pass the time nicely when I was babysitting or waiting for kids to wake from naps.

Mardel, that's a beautifully done dart.  I'm really impressed that it's almost invisible, yet it would make all the difference in how the dress fit.
Laurie H

http://my.inbox.com/photos/missjean/index.aspx   password is 'photos'

Offline LisaB

« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2011, 03:20:07 PM »
Ann, that's what I expected your answer to be! I look forward to seeing your socks.

andib, I also like to think ahead and learn about things before I'm actually ready to try them. If the Magic Loop booklet isn't helping you, how about a video? Ambimom posted a link to one here. Most of the video demonstrates one sock at a time, but I used the end of the video to understand how to knit two at a time.

I bought one 40" circular needle in the size I use for socks. It works well for one sock at a time and is pretty good for two at a time. I might prefer a 47" needle for two at a time, but I'm making do with the 40" for now.

Thanks, Laurie. Not having children myself, I didn't realize that there are "good" booties and "bad" booties until I started looking for a pattern.  :)

Offline Ann

« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2011, 07:35:23 PM »
Here is the picture of the socks. Sorry it took so long but we spent two full days installing cabinets in the kitchen and I was too tired to do a think when we got done at the end of each day.

I keep the yarn in a tub so it isn't all over the place thanks to the cat we have. And I can put the lid on it to transport it around if necessary.

Ann

Ann's Blogs

Offline LisaB

« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2011, 05:40:41 PM »
Your socks are looking good, Ann.

Offline mardel

• Restingmotion
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2011, 01:28:59 PM »
Andib, you are welcome.  That crochet top looks like it could be very pretty.  It seems to me that knit and crochet patterns are often photographed in unattractive ways and that it takes a fair amount of knowledge and imagination to see the potential in something (and sometimes to see the problems in a design that is very artfully photographed as well).  My experiences with Lily Chin's patterns has been good and the garments I have made have been well designed.

Ann, cute socks, and I love the tub.  I have to keep my projects out of the reach of an eager kitty as well.  I think your tub is perfect.

Offline Marji

« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2011, 10:21:24 PM »

Working on finishing up old WIP's.
This one was cast on March 2009. Seems more than ridiculous that I finally finished sewing the second sleeve in this AM.
AnnR made this when the Interweave Issue first came out. Ann, you've probably worn yours out already.
I do love it. Love the shaping, love the weight of it.

Yarn: Rowan cashsoft 4ply in Cream
Needles - size 3.25 mm. I knit the body in the round, then knit the sleeves flat and seamed together.

Marji

Offline LisaB

« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2011, 03:08:09 AM »
Marji, that is a really pretty sweater. I think I have sweater envy!

Offline AnnRowley

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2011, 09:59:30 AM »
Very nice Marji!

And no, mine's not yet worn out!  It's a summer-only garment for me - much too chilly here to wear it any other time...

Offline Ann

« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2011, 01:07:48 PM »
Beautiful sweater Marj.

Ann's Blogs

Offline sewsy

« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2011, 01:19:23 PM »
Beautiful sweater, Marji. Wherebouts are you two? It looks sunny and warm in the background.

Offline mardel

• Restingmotion
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2011, 05:12:45 PM »
Gorgeous sweater Marji!

Offline Saashka

• My (mostly) sewing blog
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2011, 05:43:14 PM »
Marji, beautiful sweater! 

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2011, 05:56:52 PM »
That really is a very pretty sweater. 
Laurie H

http://my.inbox.com/photos/missjean/index.aspx   password is 'photos'

Offline kbenco

• Queensland, Australia
    • kbenco's projects
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2011, 09:59:11 PM »
andib, how disappointing  :(. I looked up that yarn, and the colours are all beautiful.
If you can't bear to frog it, which I perfectly understand, would you have any use for it fulled/felted (I saw it is 100% wool)? If it doesn't fit after that you would at least have some interesting wool fabric to play with.  I have a hand spun man's aran pullover (my mother spun the wool - far beyond my skill set) that I am waiting to full in the washing machine, after I leave it in the pile of shame/despair for a bit longer.
what I am sewing  - http://kbenco.blogspot.com/

Offline mamasneedles

« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2011, 01:34:27 PM »
Saashka:

Good to see you posting!  Are you settled in your new home?

Cynthia

Offline Saashka

• My (mostly) sewing blog
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2011, 01:58:07 AM »
Are you settled in your new home?

As settled as one can be in an empty house with an aerobed and paper plates  ;D  Most of our household goods should be here on Monday and then this house will finally turn into a home. I've been learning my way around Cheyenne and I'm ready to venture out to Colorado.

Offline NotKateHepburn

« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2011, 09:06:46 AM »
I love that sweater Marji.

I finished my first ever pair of mittens. I've never even owned a pair. I've only got to wear them once, I finished just in time for 70 degree weather lol

I found a random skein of Noro yarn in my stash and found a pattern with an open stitch that should allow this to be worn as a light stole nicely. I have plans to wear it while on the lake or at the beach. It gets chilly at night near the water.

Offline mardel

• Restingmotion
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2011, 11:31:01 AM »
NotKate, your mittens are really cheerful and nice.  They would make me happy, warming both hands and spirits. At least you know it will always get cold again eventually.  The lacy silk garden stole is already gorgeous.

Saashka, it is nice to see you post and I am happy to know your things will be arriving tomorrow and you can really settle down.

Offline mamasneedles

« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2011, 04:01:12 PM »
Saashka:

Happy House Settling!  I hope all you household goods arrived safely and you're able to settle in quickly!

Let me know when you're ready to "cross state lines"!

Cynthia

Offline DeniseM

« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2011, 01:02:42 PM »
Notkate, it's snowing here so feel free to send your mittens North.

Marji, gorgeous sweater. You are so talented. There is a new knitting store right up the street from me and I need to take advantage to finish off my Einstein coat that's been moldering in the closet. I love knitting but I'm too antsy to sit still long enough to finish anything.

Offline andib

« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2011, 03:04:23 PM »
Marji, Beautiful sweater!  IT looks a bit like the stitch pattern on the most recent cover sweater on Interweave knits.

Not kate, the mittens are really nice.  I have to laugh about never wearing mittens!  We are getting a big storm, and I don't ever wear anything but ski gloves(most days), or leather gloves (rare dress up opportunity)!  Now that you have them you will need to find an opportunity to wear them.

I like the open stitch on the throw you are making.  I love that kind of throw, but I cannot imagine I would ever use it.  It will look really nice with a lot of things.  Gotta love Noro yarns and their colorways!

I hope I didn't miss anyone's projects. 

I took my sweater out of time out, and I figured if I could snug up the shoulder seam, I may be able to make it wearable.  I am going to try to crochet a stabilizing stitch along the shoulder seam.  I figure I can take one slip stitch every other stitch, and see if I can ease in some of the seam.

I also figured I can run some elastic thread in the cuffs to give that a bit more definition.  Does anyone know where to get brown or burgundy elastic thread?  I have light grey, but the stitch is so open it is a bit noticeable.

Also, I need to make a correction, the crochet piece I finished is Doris Chan, not Lilly Chin.  My big angora/silk kimono sweater/jacket is a Lilly Chin design.  Both have really interesting design/construction methods.

I am off to tidy up for visitors, thanks to all of you for keeping me motivated!

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2011, 03:10:10 PM »
NotKate, which Noro yard are you using for your stole? The colors are beautiful. You chose the perfect pattern for it. And your mittens are so nice!

Marji, your sweater is so perfect for your sailing lifestyle. You look like your new direction in life, no pun intended, is suiting you well, again no pun intended. What I mean to say is you look great! And you did a marvelous job on your sweater.

Kathryn

Offline NotKateHepburn

« Reply #100 on: February 26, 2011, 07:25:45 AM »
Kathryn, it's Noro silk garden. I'll have to find the tag, I don't remember the color way off hand.

Thanks y'all.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 07:27:18 AM by NotKateHepburn »

Offline BetsyV

• Trillium Undulatum; Painted Trillium
« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2011, 04:32:03 PM »
I think everyone here knows I can't knit a stitch to save my life. However, I can dream. My mother sent me this link today - and the pattern book is only ₤10! I wonder if I could actually justify buying it - I can put it on the shelf next to my Royal Wedding book from 1981 ...

Knit a Royal Wedding

KarenT - that corgi pattern is crying out for you to make a few ...

Offline DeniseM

« Reply #102 on: March 19, 2011, 11:07:06 AM »
Betsy, that's hilarious. Who could resist?

I just finished a scarf for the sale at the Barbara Pym Society conference. I'm dropping it off today and we'll see if it gets much enthusiasm. I'm not the greatest knitter but I think it came out nice.

Offline tumblina

• Beginner's Sewing Mentor
    • Knits and Wovens
« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2011, 02:20:21 PM »
Drive by posting... aaaallllmost done the term (last one with courses!). I'm hoping to have time at the beginning of May to do a huge blog post. I didn't have any time to sew, except mending, but did get a few knitwear pieces done!

Based off of Ysolda's Snow White, I removed a lot of the ribs, because I knew I wouldn't like how they emphasize the tummy ;). Had to play with the numbers, because I had DK weight instead of heavy worsted, but I really like how it turned out. Only got to wear it twice before it got too warm for angora!

A double-thick cabled hat I made up after swiping an angora/silk mix yarn from my mom's stash. She's going to have to knit faster if she wants to keep the good stuff!

Opera-length, or nearly, gloves - this time my mom gave me the yarn, honest! The jacket I crocheted about 3 years ago from a vintage pattern.

Alright, back to studying.

Offline LisaB

« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2011, 03:42:59 PM »
Jenna, these are really lovely items, but the hat especially appeals to me. I am always drawn to cables. Best wishes with your studies!

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics