Author Topic: Knitting IV  (Read 54506 times)

Offline andib

Re: Knitting IV
« Reply #210 on: October 05, 2011, 09:36:41 PM »
Ann, I really like that finish.  It looks almost like a crochet slip stitch.  Is it pretty stretchy?  Does it work well to pull in loose edges?   I am going to try that on something I hope to finish soon.

Offline AnnRowley

• Global Moderator
« Reply #211 on: October 06, 2011, 08:59:53 AM »
This edge finish was part of the Rowan pattern - it's not original... :)  And I've only used it once, but I shall almost certainly use it again.

I think it would work well to pull in edges if a small needle was used to work it and it was cast off firmly.

Offline sewsy

« Reply #212 on: October 12, 2011, 05:23:28 PM »
I'm having a good time with this AV pattern. The yarn shop hasn't been able to get the yarn in as yet, so I decided to check out JoAnns, since there's a sale on certain yarns right now. Originally, I wanted to use acrylic, in beige. (I'm a beige girl  ;D) I stopped in JA's, picked out what I'd hoped would work, it's a Lion's Brand yarn called "Vanna's Choice". It didn't come in beige, more a cinnamon color, but still very pretty. I only got one skein, just to try and see if I'd like it. I started a gauge sample, and while it handles well, I decided that I'd do better by getting the Paton's 100% wool that's on sale now.

I didn't want to get it, the wool. The store didn't have it in the color I wanted, the beige. Tried a different JA's, found some interesting acrylic ...it had a nice feel and look, but there wasn't enough of it, and it was black, not beige. I'm gonna keep it mind for another project, though.

So, after giving it some thought, I decided on the off white wool. It's on sale right now, and at $4.50 per a 210 yd. skein, it seemed a better buy than the similarly priced yarn shop acrylic. It is the same color as in the picture of the AV jacket. I really wanted beige, but, I've begun working on the gauge swatch, and am so pleasantly surprised!

I have worked with Paton's wool from JA's before, so I had an idea about how the yarn handles. I've gotten yarn from JA's before, not so good stuff, but the Paton's does handle well, and bounces back if unravelled and re-knitted.

I really like working with this yarn. And, the more I look at it, the more I like the color. It's a soft, creamy off white, very elegant. So, I'm out of my comfort zone a little bit with this color. And, it smells so good. The lanolin perfumes the yarn a slight bit, (feels nice in hand) it's a very nice fragrant scent. A nice bonus.

The pattern calls for cable stitches, and I've done those before, but it also has one do a twisted knit stitch. I figured I'd have the yarn shop owner give me a quick lesson, but since the sale didn't pan out, I'm on my own. It isn't at all a difficult stitch, just knit in the back of the stitch, and when done in the creamy wool, it looks even better than the acrylic.

I really like this project. So far, so good.  :)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 11:37:03 PM by sewsy »

Offline sewsy

« Reply #213 on: October 13, 2011, 06:32:28 PM »
I just wanted to state a little more about the yarn I'm using. At first, I didn't want it (wool) because I thought that it would be too hot and scratchy. It's not at all. It's soft, looks wonderful and smells good.

I was thinking about a VHS tape I have that was produced by Philosopher's Wool co. in Canada. One of the owners stated that the reason why wool is scratchy is that all of the natural lanolin is sometimes washed out of the wool, leaving it scratchy to the touch. Being that I can smell the lanolin in the skeins, he must be correct.

I'm still marvelling over the fact that I got this at JA's! It's (so far) really pretty good. If I didn't know any better, I'd wager that the skeins had come from an independent yarn shop, they're that good. Not all the yarns I've purchased from JA's have performed so well, but Patons seems to be one of the better manufacturers.

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #214 on: October 27, 2011, 07:14:47 PM »
I keep forgetting to come here and check out what you ladies have been doing.  I just checked the last page and what pretty sweaters and fingerless gloves you posted photos of.  Such great work.  I've been doing more knitting lately.  I just can't seem to find the time or the energy to get upstairs to do a lot of sewing, but I've been able to get in a little knitting here and there and since I've been knitting for my grandson, it doesn't take long to make neat things for him.  I made a couple of quick hats and sent them out to them, cold weather is already here first thing in the morning and he needs a hat for when he heads off to the baby sitter. 

I also made him a really funky hat for Christmas.  It's not my style at all, but DD loves this sort of thing, so I thought I'd make it anyway.  I figure if she likes it, she'll put it on him a lot.  It only took a couple of evenings after work to make, too.

Laurie H

http://my.inbox.com/photos/missjean/index.aspx   password is 'photos'

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #215 on: October 27, 2011, 07:15:26 PM »
BTW, thank you for reminding of Ravelry.  I had forgotten about that site.  Fantastic patterns and photos of others' work.
Laurie H

Offline pfk206

« Reply #216 on: October 27, 2011, 08:36:05 PM »
Laurie,
What a cute hat!  I'm sure your DD will love it for your grandson  :)

Pearl
Pearl in Vancouver

Offline LisaB

« Reply #217 on: October 28, 2011, 02:19:15 AM »
Laurie, that hat is really cute! I've never seen anything like it before. Your grandson will look adorable in it.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #218 on: October 29, 2011, 01:00:37 PM »
Laurie, what an adorable hat. It looks like it was great fun to knit as well.

Kathryn

Offline Laurie H

• My Quilts
« Reply #219 on: October 29, 2011, 01:28:26 PM »
Thanks, ladies.  It was a lot of fun, except for the one error in the pattern for the crown.  I had to unknit one round to find the error, but since there are 5 sections to the crown and I had 5 stitches left over, it was pretty easy to figure out that when I was supposed to knit 2 of a color instead of 1 like the directions stated.
Laurie H

Offline andib

« Reply #220 on: December 01, 2011, 11:10:05 PM »
Hi there, I am hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

Over 10 years ago I bought some nice colored elastic cord, I think it was called Rainbow Elastic.  It is used to weave into the cuffs of a knitted sweater to draw it a bit closer.  My LYS doesn't carry it anymore, and I couldn't find it on line.  ANy ideas?

Offline Ambimom

« Reply #221 on: December 01, 2011, 11:14:54 PM »
Can't you use elastic sewing thread?   You can find that at Atlanta Thread and Supply or any other place that sells sewing notions.

Offline karent

• ACorgiHouse
« Reply #222 on: December 02, 2011, 03:19:15 AM »
Or simple clear elastic.  That and elastic thread are on the "notions wall" of most of the standard fabric stores.  There is also this stuff which I have seen online but never tried.  K

Offline andib

« Reply #223 on: December 02, 2011, 01:15:21 PM »
I have tried the clear, and Atlanta doesn't have a color that will coordinate.....my biggest problem is that this is a super chunky gauge and you can see the elastic, no matter how I apply it.   I am trying to save this sweater from the rubbish heap!  Thanks for your help!

Offline sewvt

« Reply #224 on: December 02, 2011, 01:45:43 PM »
Is this what you're looking for?  http://www.lydenent.com/thread-rainbow.htm

Offline andib

« Reply #225 on: December 02, 2011, 10:45:37 PM »
Sewvt, That is exactly what I am looking for, and good news...I found out about another knitting shop on the other side of town, and they returned my call late this pm, and guess what...they have the Rainbow elastic!  Yeah!  Thanks all for your help!

I am also going to try to figure out some sort of stay for the shoulder and neckline seams...probably use a strip of silk, stitched to the seams.  The sweater has so much yarn in it it just hangs.  Probably why all the patterns are for cropped sweaters (the yarn is Collinette point 5).

Offline NotKateHepburn

« Reply #226 on: December 03, 2011, 09:54:31 AM »
You ladies make some great stuff!

It's now cool enough here where I don't mind have wool and the like in my lap. Maybe I'll finish some ufo's. I still have an unfinished Dr. Who scarf.

Right now on the needles I have my youngest son some socks started for his stocking. Nothing fancy, basic plain knit. I'm still loving the whole magic cast on and two at a time toe up sock pattern I figured out for him. It goes so quickly!

I'm hoping to get a couple pairs of fingerless gloves for the girls done and my mother has requested a hat from Noro yarn to match her scarf.

Offline BeeBee

• A Million Litte Threads
    • Pastiche
« Reply #227 on: December 03, 2011, 12:30:39 PM »
I went to the Alpaca exhibit at our local fair grounds a couple of weeks ago and now have 3 skeins of yarn burning a whole in my knitting basket.  One is 100% alpaca and I have a cowl pattern to make it out of.  The other two are a mix with wool and naturnal (not died) dark grey and cream.  I'm still looking for a nice 2 color pattern for those 2 together.  I'm not a very advanced knitter so my choices are somewhat limited. 

Offline sewsy

« Reply #228 on: December 04, 2011, 04:07:50 PM »
I've finished the Adrienne Vittadini sweater jacket, a few weeks back now and am working on another in a different color. For quite awhile now, I've lusted after this Michael Kors sweater coat: Originally, I'd decided to sew a version of it in ponte or doubleknit fabric, but now that I'm getting my fingers back into handknitting, I'm going to knit a version instead.

I can't get the picture any larger that that (sorry  :-\), but here's a link to the page: :clickhere: Youngest DD is going to buy her Mom the yarn for the project as a Christmas gift (yippee!!!) so I'm really excited about that. I went to JA's to peruse the yarn choices, came out with two, and have decided to check back with the independent yarn shop that I initially tried to purchase from for the AV sweater.

Last night, I sat down and figured out how I'm gonna knit this thing up, as best I could.

First, I had to decide what kind of sweater this is. To my mind, it's a basic cardigan, just lengthened, with a hood and center placket. Nice design. OK, now for a basic design cardigan that I can work with. I went on several free knitting pattern websites, didn't really find anything and then had a thought: "why not check and see if you already have something suitable that you can use?"

Well, I do have a basic sweater pattern, my first knitting project, as a matter of fact, but couldn't find it. Doncha just hate when that happens?  ::) Anyway, I did come across one that I'd totally forgotten about, a pattern by Ann Norling; called "The Big Cardigan". She very kindly worked this three variation pattern up in four different gauges, and I thank her for that!

Because, I'd decided that I was going to figure out the gauge myself, and just use the pattern as a guide for when to do the armhole and neck shaping, more or less. I started knitting a swatch with one of the JA skeins, and to my surprise, found that it matched one of the gauges she features for her sweater! Super!

Now to figure out how to mimic (add) the MK design details.

Looking at the front, it seemed to me that the center front of the jacket falls in the middle of the placket. So, I drew the front of the jacket, and on the same piece of paper, drew out a four inch wide line, to see if that width would work. It didn't, and I decided that a three inch wide placket would look better. Ok. Check.

Then, I looked at the ribbing at the hem of the sweater. How deep should it be? Again, I drew out different widths depths, and decided on a four inch ribbing. Great. I enlarged the  MK picture, and counted the ribs, but that didn't really help or matter. From what I can see, the rib is 2x2, and it looks pretty nice. I've done a 3x3 sample, and it looks more like the "welt ribbing" for the pocket, so I'll use the 3x3 for that. I counted how many ribs are used on the MK sweater for the welt, but I don't want that many on mine, and held up the sample I'd knitted, and decided on less.

I decided to knit the sweater in the large size, and found that I'll need to cast on eighty stitches initially. Cool. Then, using her gauge, figured out how many stitches I'll need to make the placket, and subtracted that from the eighty she calls for. Check. So far, so good. (Keeping my fingers knitting needles crossed at this point.  ;)

Now for the hood. I'll be knitting the two halves separately, so I needed to first find out how many stitches there will be combining both neck fronts and the neck back. I did that, and divided that number in half. I'll either find a hood pattern, or just dig out a sewing pattern piece for a hood, and by increasing on the back of the hood, try and mimic the sewing pattern piece. (Make sense?)

The sweater back is pretty straightforward, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

As for the extra length (the Ann Norling pattern is hip length, in two of her versions), I've figured on an extra four or five inches to the body of the jacket, not including the ribbing at the hem, so I'll just guesstimate how many extra skeins I'll need, and for the hood, as well.

The sleeve cuff looks to be folded at the wrist, and I've decided on a five inch cuff using the same 2x2 rib as for the hem.

Well, I'm going to finish up a Christmas sweater that has been languishing for (ahem  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-\) two years now for a dear male cousin. I figure on really starting on the MK sweater after Christmas, if all goes well.

Wish me luck.  :)

forgot to mention: while sticking my nose two inches from my computer screen, it looked to me like the body of the MK sweater was knit in something other than stockinette stitch. Maybe a 1x1 rib? I knitted that, and while it does look more like the MK sweater, I've decided that it would be a pain to try and figure out how much extra I'd need. So, stockinette stitch it is. I like the way it looks, anyway. ;)

I will be knitting the plackets in the 1x1 rib, btw, I'll just cast on more stitches and adjust according to how wide I want them.

etc: image size code to a larger one  ;) ;D

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 08:29:05 PM by Lisa »

Online Lisa

• Administrator
  • Eastern Nebraska
« Reply #229 on: December 05, 2011, 08:30:04 PM »
Sewsy,

I've fixed your image size. :)  Really nice looking sweater jacket!  I look forward to watching your project.

Lisa
Found: a favorite silver bracelet that I hadn't seen for a while.  On its four quarters it says "Welcome Introspection; Accept Wisdom; Seek Illumination; Embrace Innocence."   It's like a "magic 8-ball" on the wrist...

Offline sewsy

« Reply #230 on: December 06, 2011, 12:42:50 AM »
Lisa, thanks so much!  :-*

Offline tumblina

• Beginner's Sewing Mentor
    • Knits and Wovens
« Reply #231 on: January 29, 2012, 07:18:17 PM »
The upside to being sick over the holidays was plenty of knitting time. Of course I've been playing catch-up since then and haven't had much time to show anybody!

A new shawl (I wasn't going to make another one, especially a triangular one, but the edging from the Haruni shawl was too much to resist!) Not being one to leave well alone, I changed the shaping and stitch patterns for the rest of it.

You can see the beads a bit better here - I had some triangle green & purple metallic-painted beads left over from my Odonata shawl, and I had just enough for the stems of the leaves in the edging. I had thought to put beads in the crochet cast-off, but it looked fine the way it was; no more shopping = awesome ;D.

I used one skein of Cascade Heritage Silk, and it's a gorgeous deep royal purple with a bit of a sheen to it. The shawl wasn't really long enough to work as a wrap with my sleeveless dress at last night's winter banquet, but it's perfect wrapped around my neck with the point in front in my double-breasted winter coat.

I'm halfway through Lizette using the yarn from a deep red merino pullover I scored at a second hand shop. I have my fingers crossed that I have enough yarn to make 1/2 sized sleeves like someone else did on Ravelry - I think with the warmer fibre it'd be perfect.

I'm writing up generic instructions on how to make it in the round instead of in pieces, which I'll put up in my blog once I'm done. Not sure if it helps enough to be worth the bother, but it did save acres of purl stitch ;).

Offline LisaB

« Reply #232 on: January 29, 2012, 11:54:41 PM »
Jenna, your shawl is perfection! I'm so in awe of a project like that!

I look forward to seeing your sweater as well when it's finished. I hope you have enough yarn!

Offline AnnRowley

• Global Moderator
« Reply #233 on: January 30, 2012, 09:52:30 AM »
Jenna, what a beautiful shawl! The colour of your yarn combined with those great beads is just lovely...
Enjoy wearing it.

Offline sewsy

« Reply #234 on: January 30, 2012, 10:18:48 AM »
Jenna, your shawl is perfection! I'm so in awe of a project like that!

I look forward to seeing your sweater as well when it's finished. I hope you have enough yarn!

Me too.  :)

Offline Sharon

• Petite and Sewing
« Reply #235 on: February 04, 2012, 09:30:50 PM »
Jenna your shawl is stunning such intricate work that those beads.
Sharon, Sydney, Australia

Petite and Sewing

Offline LisaB

« Reply #236 on: February 06, 2012, 06:05:34 PM »
I finally have some FO to post.

This sweater was actually finished last Fall, but I didn't get photos until recently. It's the top-down "Pink" sweater from Wendy Bernard's book Custom Knits. The two most important things I learned from this project are 1) I don't need to build in so much ease in a hand-knit sweater and 2) I need back waist darts to take up the slack just like I do in my sewn clothing. (I have conveniently not posted a photo of how floppy the back is.  :) ) However, I enjoy wearing the sweater. It's a nice basic.

This cardigan is the oft-made Tangled Yoke Cardigan by Eunny Jang. I got the sizing better on this one and added waist darts from the bottom to the waist but failed to realize that I needed to take more in above the back waist. It's better than the above pullover but still has a ways to go.

The cable on the yoke was fascinating to work. I've never done such complicated cable work before. Many knitters on Ravelry noted how difficult the cable chart is to work through, so I opted to write out the instructions long-hand so as to avoid the chart. I also used lots of markers to note each pattern repeat, which made it easy to know if I was off before working many stitches. Both techniques worked perfectly. Yay!

Offline shams

• Communing With Fabric
« Reply #237 on: February 06, 2012, 06:36:29 PM »
Wow, two gorgeous sweaters, LisaB!

Offline vtmartha

« Reply #238 on: February 06, 2012, 06:49:13 PM »
Beautiful sweaters, Lisa!  And your lovely fireplace is a great backdrop for your sweaters as well as for the gorgeous shirt you made for your DH.   ;)

Offline AnnRowley

• Global Moderator
« Reply #239 on: February 06, 2012, 06:57:35 PM »
Lovely sweaters, Lisa.
I particularly like the 'Tangled yoke'  - I must dig out that issue of Interweave knits and have a look at it. But it's probably made of yarn that I can't get here... :'(

Offline LisaB

« Reply #240 on: February 06, 2012, 08:07:59 PM »
Thanks, shams, Martha, and Ann. It's so nice to have something finished!  :D

Ann, the pattern uses Rowan Felted Tweed (50% merino; 25% alpaca; 25% viscose) with a gauge of 24 sts and 36 rows to 4" on size 5 (3.75mm) needles for both stockinette stitch and the garter rib. I think that's sport weight yarn. I used Berroco Ultra Alpaca Light but had to do quite a few swatches and finally settled on size 2 needles for the stockinette and size 4 needles for the garter rib.

Martha, I'll pass along your fireplace comment to DH. He constructed it (along with the rest of our house). He's pretty amazing!

Offline AnnRowley

• Global Moderator
« Reply #241 on: February 07, 2012, 09:56:14 AM »
Thanks Lisa. When I looked up the pattern I was delighted to find that it used a yarn that I can get locally.
I think this will be my next project...

Offline tumblina

• Beginner's Sewing Mentor
    • Knits and Wovens
« Reply #242 on: February 07, 2012, 11:37:21 AM »
Lisa, those are great sweaters! I've always loved the tangled yoke pattern.

Offline Marji

• Fiberartsafloat
« Reply #243 on: February 11, 2012, 02:56:55 PM »
First, I've been perusing toys on Ravelry, and for some reason this popped up - not a toy at all. Someone has to direct Dragonlady's attention to this!

Jenna, your Haruni is gorgeous! I've got it in my queue on Rav. Actually, it may be in my fav's now since I just cleaned up my queue last week and moved everything except that which I want to cast on within a short period of time. I knit Kamille for my mom using Handmaidens Swiss Silk, and it was the first full lace shawl I've done, and it took every bit of my attention. So I know just what went into your Haruni. Absolutely gorgeous!

And LisaB, I've gotta say that I like your Green Pink better than the original Pink! Love the cables on the sides, and your fit is better than the one on the model in the book.

So, I'm looking at toys and toy/blanket combos. I need a really quick knit, and I'm thinking monster or maybe the elephant/cuddle blanket by Julie at Brydsnest.
It's for my 2 1/2 yr old nephew, who's got a really scary surgery to go through in the next couple of weeks. Diagnosis was yesterday, so it's really early to know much, but I believe they're going to have the surgery done in Dallas. My brother asked me to go to Dallas to be with them, so I'll take the toy with me. I think he needs a cuddle toy - and maybe a monster is a good idea to keep the other monsters at bay in the hospital.
In fact, looking at the monster patterns, I think I'll knit one for my sis-in-law too. I especially like this concept http://www.flickr.com/photos/74109072@N00/5999215386
Either that or the family of monsters http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/leila-lydia-and-lucas-the-momma-and-baby-monsters
I'm trying to be really matter of fact here, because otherwise, right now I really can't handle it.
So what do you think? Which monsters? Or something else altogether? He's the youngest of 6 kids, a doll baby who hasn't started talking yet, and they're opening up his skull.

Offline Pina

« Reply #244 on: February 11, 2012, 03:13:07 PM »
Marji,it's nice to see you posting again ! How are you doing,are you still living on a boat ?

As to which monster,I like all the monsters you posted.I think the monster family is very cute !
Best wishes and good thoughts to your nephew and family !

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics Your Button Shop