Author Topic: Knitting IV  (Read 62959 times)

Offline mardel

• Restingmotion
Re: Knitting IV
« Reply #140 on: May 22, 2011, 06:47:56 PM »
Here are the only two projects I have finished the last couple of months:

A sweater from CocoKnits called Louisa, using Habu's N-68 Lamb Linen, finished in early April.  The yarn is fine, a lace weight, but it is knit to a DK weight in this project and the resulting fabric is just lovely.

And a scarf just finished this week using Aslan Trends Royal Alpaca in a lovely bright green:

I actually knit something in between the two, a sweater from the spring Rowan Book, but I am just finishing putting it together, hopefully today.  I'm just so tired all the time right now that it might get shoved off until tomorrow.

And I forgot to send my kudos to your sister, Alexandra, that dress is just lovely and fits her perfectly. 

Offline shams

• Communing With Fabric
« Reply #141 on: May 22, 2011, 06:53:50 PM »
Both are so beautiful, Mardel.  That sweater is one I've coveted.  :)  And I love how your scarf complements your monitor!!!  :)

Offline LisaB

« Reply #142 on: May 22, 2011, 07:03:24 PM »
Great work, Mardel. The sweater and scarf both look lovely on you. I particularly like the bright green color.

Thanks for the compliments on my socks and also for the additional gauge advice. I feel more confident in approaching this project now.

Kathryn and Ann, thanks for clearing up my confusion over the cable needle. It all makes sense now.  :D

Offline Saashka

• My (mostly) sewing blog
« Reply #143 on: May 22, 2011, 10:26:49 PM »
Thank you all for the wonderful compliments on my sister's dress - I will pass them on.

Mardel, beautiful sweater and scarf!

Offline Amanteslove

• creating with love -amantes
    • my work shops
« Reply #144 on: May 23, 2011, 03:25:51 AM »
Mardel awesome sweater and scarf  , really great work :)  oh my i get wish knitting
alive you can be just when given something to world.
If like and wish my works can find here for clothes http://www.zibbet.com/amanteslove and supplies http://www.zibbet.com/Kleosupplies

Offline AnnRowley

• Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: May 23, 2011, 08:57:45 AM »
Great sweater Mardel, what an interesting yarn, wool and linen; sounds lovely.  I'm quite tempted by this pattern but doubt I could find a suitable yarn here.

And the scarf - what a good eye your photographer has!  The three greens make this a wonderful photo - nice scarf too!

Offline Sharon

• Petite and Sewing
« Reply #146 on: May 23, 2011, 09:56:25 AM »
Mardel, what a fantastic sweater, very stylish and your green scarf is such a bright spot of colour.    Thank you for the compliment on my top.

Saashka, your sister has done an amazing job on her dress.

Sharon
Sharon, Sydney, Australia

Petite and Sewing

Offline LisaB

« Reply #147 on: May 24, 2011, 12:56:32 PM »
Lisa, you socks are beautiful! I love the cable pattern and the color. How did you like working with Wildfoote? I'm a fan of Brown Sheep yarns but haven't tried the sock yarn yet.

I'm back to report on my sweater gauge and realized I missed this question.

Alexandra, I really liked Wildfoote, but admittedly, I don't have a lot to compare it with. It didn't split and gave me no trouble, so I would definitely try it again. I'm most interested to see how it holds up with washing and wearing, but I probably won't wear this pair much until next Fall.

The mystery of my sweater gauge has been solved. I took my swatches to the LYS and there discovered that I mis-read the yarn label. I had been convinced that the yarn and pattern both had the same gauge and recommended needle size. This turned out to be wrong. The yarn's label actually said, "#10, 6mm", and for some reason I only saw the '6' and thought that was the needle size.  ::) Anyway, now that I realize the yarn's gauge is for size 10 needles, it makes sense that I get the gauge exactly when I use size 8 needles - two sizes smaller like I usually need to use. Whew! I feel silly but am glad to have it figured out.

Offline mardel

• Restingmotion
« Reply #148 on: May 24, 2011, 08:18:46 PM »
LisaB, that sounds exactly like the kind of thing I would do.  Glad you got it figured out.

Thank you Shams, LisaB, Saashka, Amanteslove, AnnRowley, and Sharon for the compliments on my sweater and scarf.  Ann, I think the pattern can probably be done in many yarns, I believe cocoknits recommends either the yarn I used or a dk weight cotton.  Anyway I think I am going to knit it again in another yarn.  My knitting group thinks I am crazy because it is such a specifically strong shape, but I love it and think I will wear another one also.  But I'm going to knit some other things first.

I haven't seamed the other sweater yet either.  My sewing table collapsed yesterday morning strewing stuff all across the room (I thought there was something wrong with those spare table legs but I couldn't remember what.)  I've got the mess all straightened up and have picked up new legs and a base cabinet.  Now to assemble and install, and then make sure my sewing machines still work.   Its always something, isn't it?

Offline mardel

• Restingmotion
« Reply #149 on: June 06, 2011, 05:16:13 PM »
Finally posting the sweater I promised a couple of weeks ago.  I sewed it up the end of last week, and have worn it twice when we had a couple of surprisingly cool days sandwiched between the hot 88+ days.

The pattern is Teasel from the spring Rowan book (#43).  I knit it in Classic Elite's Soft Linen, choosing the size and shaping to math another favorite sweater.

Offline applebee

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #150 on: June 07, 2011, 10:36:52 AM »
Here are the only two projects I have finished the last couple of months while on holiday:

A sweater from there called Louisa, using Habu's N-68 Stay Lamb Linen, finished in early April.  The yarn is fine, a lace weight, but it is knit to a DK weight in this project and the resulting fabric is just lovely.

And a scarf just finished this week using Aslan Trends Royal Alpaca in a lovely bright green:

I actually knit something in between the two, a sweater from the spring Rowan Book, but I am just finishing putting it together, hopefully today.  I'm just so tired all the time right now that it might get shoved off until tomorrow.

And I forgot to send my kudos to your sister, Alexandra, that dress is just lovely and fits her perfectly. 

I have to say that I love that scarf. The color and the way it hangs - it is simply superb. Really well done:)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 12:46:17 PM by applebee »
Children are the future

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #151 on: June 07, 2011, 11:18:29 AM »
Mardel, it's such fun to see your latest knitting projects. I have only recently discovered the Cocoknits site. I love her approach to knitting from the top down and minimizing seams. I made the Katja, the little hooded sweater and have been eyeing the sweater you made, the Louisa, for an upcoming project. You always choose such beautiful yarns to work with.

Your scarf is so fresh-looking and will be just the thing to brighten a cooler day.

And your latest offering, the Tessel, is really lovely. What a great color on you!

Does linen yarn have a tendency to stretch out of shape like cotton yarns sometimes do? I've never knit with a linen and am curious to learn about it.

Kathryn

Offline Sharon

• Petite and Sewing
« Reply #152 on: June 07, 2011, 11:30:38 AM »
Mardel, what a pretty sweater, the colour is gorgeous and prefect for those chilly days, can you wear it by itself during the spring months?

Sharon

Petite and Sewing

Offline LisaB

« Reply #153 on: June 07, 2011, 01:58:04 PM »
Terrific sweater, Mardel. I am off to check out the Cocoknits site! I am doing my first top-down cardigan, and I really like the fact that I can try it on before knitting up the whole thing.

Offline Saashka

• My (mostly) sewing blog
« Reply #154 on: June 07, 2011, 03:30:05 PM »
Very pretty sweater, Mardel! Did the linen give you a callus while you were knitting it? I once made a shawl in 100% linen, lovely stuff when washed, but knitting with it felt like knitting with twine and it didn't get painless until a callus developed on my index finger. Still, totally worth it for how soft it feels now.

Offline mardel

• Restingmotion
« Reply #155 on: June 08, 2011, 11:10:11 AM »
Thank you Applebee, Kathryn, Sharon, and Alexandra!

Kathryn, Cocoknits is a fairly recent discovery for me too.  I went in to Vogue Knitting Live one day in February and their booth was right next door to Habu Textiles.  I indulged in a few objects from both.  Cocoknits styles are very flattering and they can be knit in a fairly wide variety of yarns with different effects,  That was the nice thing about seeing their booth as they had many samples of each style for display/trying on.

I find linen drapes really well, but doesn't stretch the way cotton does.  Alexandra is right though, linen can be coarse on the hands while knitting but it softens up beautifully.  I haven't that much problem knitting it, no calluses, but I am a really loose knitter and that might make a difference.

The Teasel is knit from Soft Linen, which is a blend:  35% linen, 35% wool, 30% alpaca, so it is not quite as cool as pure linen for hot weather, but has more recovery.  It is  a joy to knit and knits up to a nice fabric.    The days I wore it we were back down to the low-mid 60s with nights in the low 40s to upper 30's.  It was quite comfortable, but I don't think I would wear during the summer heat.  I envisioned this more as a transitional sweater.

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #156 on: June 08, 2011, 01:46:52 PM »
Thanks for the info about linen yarns, Mardel and Alexandra. I may shop for a linen blend at our next LYS sale.

Kathryn

Offline Amanteslove

• my work shops
« Reply #157 on: June 15, 2011, 05:47:32 AM »
oh nice sweater mardel looks so cozy
If like and wish my works can find here for clothes http://www.zibbet.com/amanteslove and supplies http://www.zibbet.com/Kleosupplies

Offline mardel

• Restingmotion
« Reply #158 on: July 02, 2011, 08:16:22 PM »
I've finished another sweater.  This one is from a lightweight cotton tape yarn by Lana Grossa's Linea Pura line called Taglia.  It knits on size 11 needles but is very lightweight and cool when completed.

More on my blog, and of course if you just want to ogle the photos, they are here.

Offline Amanteslove

• my work shops
« Reply #159 on: July 03, 2011, 03:11:10 AM »
Mardel awesome sweater i love color and patten

Offline NotKateHepburn

« Reply #160 on: July 03, 2011, 04:20:49 AM »
Mardel, love the shape and color!

Offline mardel

• Restingmotion
« Reply #161 on: July 03, 2011, 11:27:53 AM »
Thank you Amanteslove and NotKate,  I am really enjoying wearing it as it is just what summer should be:  easy, breezy and cool.

Offline LisaB

« Reply #162 on: July 04, 2011, 02:58:24 AM »
Lovely summer sweater, Mardel. Short row sleeves sound intriguing!

(Edited to fix typo.)

Offline mardel

• Restingmotion
« Reply #163 on: July 04, 2011, 03:34:30 PM »
Thanks Lisa.  I wish I'd thought of the short row sleeves, but I see that it is a technique I will probably use again.

Offline Sharon

• Petite and Sewing
« Reply #164 on: July 05, 2011, 06:49:22 AM »
mardel, love the colour of your new sweater and glad that is cool and comfortable to wear.

Petite and Sewing

Offline LisaB

« Reply #165 on: July 05, 2011, 12:38:05 PM »
I had the opportunity over the weekend to show a 9-year-old girl how to knit. Her mother asked me to teach her while at a picnic, so it was very spur-of-the-moment. While I've wanted to teach someone else, I've never actually had the opportunity before, so I had to think quickly about the best approach to take. I opted to cast on 20 stitches and then showed her how to do the knit stitch. After a few stitches done in super-slow motion, I handed everything over to her so she could try. We broke it down into four steps:

1. Put the right needle through the first loop on the left needle to form an X.
2. Loop the yarn over.
3. Pull the right needle back through the loop.
4. Slip the loop off the left needle.

I had her say each number as she did the step as a way to ensure she did all four steps, since she tended to forget step 4. She made it through the first row, then took a break for a snack, then came back to do a second row. She was so proud of her work and wanted to show everyone!

As an experienced knitter, it was interesting to watch her. We did not deal with tension or "proper" ways to hold needles and yarn. I simply wanted her to learn how to make the stitch without overloading her. Her tension remained extremely loose throughout her two rows, but she started to hold the needles more naturally all on her own toward the end.

I learned to knit when I was about her age, but I have no recollection of how I was taught or how long it took me to have a consistent gauge, so this first time of teaching was all trial and error.

Her mother emailed me yesterday to say that her daughter was working on the knitting during church on Sunday and somehow messed up. Before my friend was able to stop her, her daughter had ripped out all the stitches!  :'( Hopefully, we can get together again, as this little girl really seemed to enjoy learning.

Offline shams

• Communing With Fabric
« Reply #166 on: July 05, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »
Good for you, LisaB!  My kids attended a school that teaches them to knit (as part of the curriculum) in first grade.  They are taught using this poem:

"In through the front door,
Run around the back,
Hop through the window,
Off jumps Jack."

It really does help them.  :)

Offline LisaB

« Reply #167 on: July 05, 2011, 03:00:34 PM »
Shams, thank you so much for that little poem! I shall pass it along. It will be so much more helpful than 1, 2, 3, 4.

Offline AnnRowley

• Global Moderator
« Reply #168 on: July 05, 2011, 05:50:12 PM »
" In to the rabbit hole,
Round the big tree,
Out of the rabbit hole,
And off goes he"

;D

Offline NotKateHepburn

« Reply #169 on: July 07, 2011, 04:06:53 AM »
I learned with Jack too

In through the front door
Sneak around the back
Peek through the window
And off jumps Jack!

Ann, I've not heard that one before. Thanks for sharing it.

Offline mdmcgrath

« Reply #170 on: July 12, 2011, 07:38:15 PM »
I recently finished the Green Gable sweater that Sharon had shown a few months back. I enjoyed knitting it, but it seemed to take forever!  There are a couple more photos and more details on the modifications I made on my blog if you want more information.  Tonight I start another summer top class at my LYS.  I don't know why but I love to knit in the summer...crazy isn't it?

Offline LisaB

« Reply #171 on: July 12, 2011, 07:44:08 PM »
Your new sweater is so pretty! What a beautiful color.

Since I am busy knitting a sweater myself, I don't think it's crazy to enjoy knitting during the summer.  :)  Keeping the hands busy is a good thing!

Offline AnnRowley

• Global Moderator
« Reply #172 on: July 13, 2011, 09:04:16 AM »
Lovely sweater, Mary and an equally lovely colour!
I like the crochet round the neck; what a good idea.

And I like knitting in the summer too.  :)

Offline Linda 75142

• Seams Well Blog
« Reply #173 on: July 20, 2011, 06:22:19 PM »
I recently finished the Green Gable sweater that Sharon had shown a few months back.

What a beautiful sweater!
Linda T

"The past is history, tomorrow's a mystery, today is a gift; that's the reason they call it the present." --Mike Ditka

www.seamswell.blogspot.com

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #174 on: July 20, 2011, 07:02:44 PM »
Great sweater, great color, and great on you, Mary. Kudos!

Kathryn

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics