Author Topic: Knitting IV  (Read 65213 times)

Offline AnnRowley

• Global Moderator
Re: Knitting IV
« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2011, 05:43:41 PM »
Lovely Jenna!  And I particularly like the gloves... :)

Offline vtmartha

« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2011, 06:19:34 PM »
Absolutely gorgeous pieces, Jenna! 

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2011, 06:23:28 PM »
Beautiful knitwear, Jenna. You are such a talented knitter. The sweater is such a cute design and looks perfect on you. The hat is great too, and I love the story of the purloined yarn behind it. The gloves and jacket go so nicely together. Enjoy wearing all of your new creations.

Kathryn

Offline Saashka

• My (mostly) sewing blog
« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2011, 07:28:13 PM »
Beautiful pieces, Jenna! I especially like your version of Snow White. That pattern has been in my queue for a while now. Did you keep notes on it by any chance, and if so, would you mind sharing them with a fellow knitter (moi)?

Offline Sharon

• Petite and Sewing
« Reply #109 on: April 21, 2011, 10:33:35 PM »
Jenna, beautiful work, so talented, love the hat and those ribs  8).

Sharon
Sharon, Sydney, Australia

Petite and Sewing

Offline Liana

• Administrator
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Sew Intriguing
« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2011, 03:58:45 AM »
Beautiful work, Jenna!  I love the vintage-pattern jacket and the gloves especially.  Good luck with your studies.

Saashka,  Hope you're all settled in by now.  You're only one state away from me, too.  :)

Marji,  Your sweater is still so pretty, even though I'm very late commenting.

NotKate,  I love your pink mittens!  What a fun pattern.  :)

I don't think I'll be knitting a Royal Wedding either, but that book is darling, and Karen, your really need to knit some of those corgis. 

Offline Ann

« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2011, 02:00:08 PM »
Jenna, what lovely items you have knit. I do love the hat; maybe because of the story behind it.

The Royal Wedding (knit version) was shown on BCTV news one night. Someone knit it up and it got featured. My favourite piece - The Royal Corgi.

I have to admit my socks are still not done. I have spent some time gathering the balls of yarn up as the cat stole them from me. I have been so busy doing other things that they and another project have been set aside. Maybe I will pick them up in the evenings during the summer. We sit outside and I love to have something to do while we talk and visit.

Ann

Lives in Ashcroft, BC Canada - Desert climate and often the hot spot in BC and Canada.

Education is a journey, not a race.

Ann's Blogs
http://everythingsewing.blogspot.com/

Offline Sharon

• Petite and Sewing
« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2011, 05:01:46 AM »
Well I've finished a top just in time for winter, it looks like this is the way I knit.

Green Gable pattern by Rachel Bishop using Jo Sharp Soho Summer DK cotton Cactus. 

This top had quite a few new things for me:
  • backward loop cast on
  • Knitting in the round
  • from the top down

I'm very happy with how this has turned out and have a summer skirt just about finished to wear with it when summer arrives  :)

Sharon

Petite and Sewing

Offline LynnH

• Me at 10
« Reply #113 on: May 06, 2011, 05:03:08 AM »
Sharon - great color on you and a wonderful job knitting.
Lynn

Offline Saashka

« Reply #114 on: May 06, 2011, 05:22:56 AM »
Sharon - beautiful top. What is the texture at the top front? Cables? Lace? Lacy cables? It's very pretty.

Liana, yes, we've settled into a routine of sorts.  Life feels comfortable again. You're about a 6-hour drive (nonstop driving) from me. What is there to do in Lincoln?

Offline Diane P.

• outside Portland, Oregon
« Reply #115 on: May 06, 2011, 05:27:40 AM »
Sharon -- great top and the color is wonderful on you. I'm going to have to look up that pattern on Ravelry. I really like the treatment on the top of the front. Very intriguing.

ETA: Close-up of the top front treatment: http://www.knitlulu.com/catalog/item/7368795/7674410.htm I like Sharon's version better :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 05:35:09 AM by Diane P. »

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: May 06, 2011, 11:40:21 AM »
Sharon, what a talented knitter you are! The green top complements your coloring nicely, and is such a good choice.

I just knit a hoodie from the top down, having to do a provisional cast on for it, both of which were new methods to me. I really liked knitting from the top down as it allows me to adjust the fit in the shoulders, armholes and bust area before continuing on to the end of the sweater.

There is a book, Knitting from the Top Down, that I have looked at but have yet to purchase. I think it was mentioned here.

But since I've found plenty of top-down knitting patterns by just clicking that option while searching for patterns on ravelry.com or yarn.com, I never got the book.

Kathryn

Offline LisaB

« Reply #117 on: May 06, 2011, 03:32:26 PM »
Sharon, your top is really pretty and looks great on you.

I'm just about finished with my second pair of socks and then it's on to a top-down cardigan. Top-down knitting will be new to me as well. I wish I knew what adjustments I need for shoulder, armholes, and bust. I haven't done any sweater knitting in YEARS and didn't make adjustments way back when. I think I could potentially suffer paralysis by analysis or fear of failure, but hopefully I will convince myself to just dive in and then frog if needed. I will definitely learn something whether it all works out on the first try or whether it takes more than one, right?

Offline Karendee

« Reply #118 on: May 06, 2011, 03:36:04 PM »
Beautiful sweater, Sharon. You wear "your colors" so well.

Karen

Offline Elona

« Reply #119 on: May 06, 2011, 05:47:52 PM »
Sharon, the sweater is lovely on you.  Wish I could wear that shade!

Knitting From the Top Down is an interesting book.  Many years ago, I used it and some flawless brown DK wool (in all those yards of wool, there was not a single knot or palpable splice!) from New Zealand to make a custom-fit sweater for dh. 

The garment was fun to put together (lots of calculations, circular knit so no seams) and it fit dh perfectly.

Offline Sharon

• Petite and Sewing
« Reply #120 on: May 06, 2011, 10:07:05 PM »
Thank you Lynn, Saashka, Diane P., Kathryn, LisaB, Karen and Elona for the lovely compliments.

Saashka the top is lace on the front only, which was the main reason I wanted to make the top. 

LisaB, I know what you mean, I  have just got back into knitting, can't always take the sewing machine, and so far have just knitted as per the pattern and kept my fingers crossed that it all fits.

Sharon

Petite and Sewing

Offline Amanteslove

• creating with love -amantes
    • my work shops
« Reply #121 on: May 08, 2011, 07:12:14 AM »
hello :) i am new in this forum , but was impress much of awesome works . i love knitting much and especially if mix with crochet.   that my last work for dance mohair skirt :) i think mohair my loves yarn in while :)
alive you can be just when given something to world.
If like and wish my works can find here for clothes http://www.zibbet.com/amanteslove and supplies http://www.zibbet.com/Kleosupplies

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: May 08, 2011, 11:38:43 AM »
Hi Amanteslove, welcome to Stitcher's Guild. 

What a lovely skirt that is! I made a mohair hairpin lace skirt years ago when I was in college and wore it every chance I got. I made a shawl with the leftover yarn and still wear it from time to time, so I can understand why you love mohair yarn. It's so soft and pretty.

Your skirt is so full and the yarn is so fine that it will be a perfect skirt to dance in. It will twirl nicely as you dance, I would think. Is the contrast border knitted? If so, how did you pick up the stitches--every single stitch or pick up two, skip one?

Here is some info that we like to give to our new posters to help you get around the site a bit more easily:

1.   Visit the “Are You New?” topic by clicking here:  Are you new? 

2.   Learn about the forum rules by clicking here: Forum decorum...FAQs

3.   Play in the Sandbox by clicking here : Sandbox .  There you can play around with a lot of the features of the site to your heart's delight (like posting photos or creating your avatar) without affecting any of the other active topics.  It’s truly a “no worries” place to play and learn.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask one of us four site administrators or the site moderator.  One or the other of us is almost always around.  On the opening page, at the bottom, where it lists who is online, our names show up in bright red or bright blue.  You can always send us a private message at any time if you need help.

Have fun looking through the site, Amanteslove. Come back and post often! :)

Kathryn

Offline Amanteslove

• my work shops
« Reply #123 on: May 08, 2011, 03:38:08 PM »
thanks i will look :)
that skirt was not in whole in same knitted , at first was around all white and only later was suit black knitted peaces and around crocheted , some and embroidery can see to make it not so much contrast . and yes biggest azure was did with two up together and up ear , in really nothing hard ornament just get saw white color shows more azure not like in same knitted black like that dress what i was did 1, 5 year ago to same client , she was so impress of dress so wish something in same but too different :)

for me second by yarns so cotton with viscose , merino , line , sure looking for what session and what do  , but truly only naturals yarns
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 03:40:18 PM by Amanteslove »
If like and wish my works can find here for clothes http://www.zibbet.com/amanteslove and supplies http://www.zibbet.com/Kleosupplies

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: May 08, 2011, 03:49:24 PM »
Thanks for the info, Amanteslove. Gosh is that dress ever gorgeous! The way you mix knitting and crochet is so skillful and completely awe-inspiring.

Now that you describe how the skirt was made, I can see where you did some embroidery embellishment and placed the knitted areas to show off just the right amount of contrast. Wow. What a work of art.

What a lucky client, to have two of your creations in her wardrobe! :)

Kathryn

Offline Amanteslove

• my work shops
« Reply #125 on: May 08, 2011, 03:58:26 PM »
thanks , exactly she have 3 mohair clothes now two for her and one for her daughter , i hope in this summer get concentrate to do photo session in really to get more professional photos not i do of fast . and have in minds to create 3 coats of mohair to autumn exhibition , but it is just plans ... mostly i dont have time
yeah mixing sometimes giving specific look , what i like and always if can i ask let me create clothes by possible and sure implement all wishes  thats me make more happy

Offline Saashka

« Reply #126 on: May 08, 2011, 04:20:16 PM »
Amanteslove, very pretty creations! And in mohair, no less. Your client is one lucky woman.

Offline Amanteslove

• my work shops
« Reply #127 on: May 08, 2011, 04:27:35 PM »
thanks :) just do what in really like , sadly last 3years i left it more like hobby  , but sure do every freedom minute even in my work , thats growing to me local clients too

Offline Karendee

« Reply #128 on: May 10, 2011, 05:04:35 PM »
Wow, that is an AMAZING dress.

Karen

Offline LisaB

« Reply #129 on: May 21, 2011, 03:50:41 PM »
I've got a finished pair of socks to show, and I've also got a question. Here are the socks (lightened to show cable pattern).

I made up the pattern myself knowing only that I wanted cables. I'd do it a bit differently if I were starting over, but nonetheless, I'm happy to have another pair of warm socks for next winter. These were made two-at-a-time using the Magic Loop technique on one needle. The yarn is Brown Sheep's Wildfoote.

Now for my question. My next knitted project will be the baby-doll cardigan by Iris Schreier. You can find it here on Ravelry.

My question involves checking gauge. The label on my yarn (Berroco Ultra Silk) has the same gauge as the pattern's recommendation, but when I swatch, I am only able to hit the 20 sts/4" across. I need more than 28 rows, though, to get the vertical gauge.

What do you do in this case? Switching needle sizes will throw off my horizontal gauge. I think I should stick with the needles that produce the horizontal gauge and just work as many rows as it takes in each section to get the desired length. Can anyone give me guidance on this? I haven't knit a sweater in MANY years.

Before hitting "Post" I took another look and noticed that the yarn label says 19 sts/4", while the cardigan pattern is 20 sts. Maybe that one stitch difference is contributing to my gauge issue.

Offline Amanteslove

• my work shops
« Reply #130 on: May 21, 2011, 04:08:50 PM »
I've got a finished pair of socks to show, and I've also got a question. Here are the socks (lightened to show cable pattern).

I made up the pattern myself knowing only that I wanted cables. I'd do it a bit differently if I were starting over, but nonetheless, I'm happy to have another pair of warm socks for next winter. These were made two-at-a-time using the Magic Loop technique on one needle. The yarn is Brown Sheep's Wildfoote.

Now for my question. My next knitted project will be the baby-doll cardigan by Iris Schreier. You can find it here on Ravelry.

My question involves checking gauge. The label on my yarn (Berroco Ultra Silk) has the same gauge as the pattern's recommendation, but when I swatch, I am only able to hit the 20 sts/4" across. I need more than 28 rows, though, to get the vertical gauge.

What do you do in this case? Switching needle sizes will throw off my horizontal gauge. I think I should stick with the needles that produce the horizontal gauge and just work as many rows as it takes in each section to get the desired length. Can anyone give me guidance on this? I haven't knit a sweater in MANY years.

Before hitting "Post" I took another look and noticed that the yarn label says 19 sts/4", while the cardigan pattern is 20 sts. Maybe that one stitch difference is contributing to my gauge issue.

awesome socks i love it much :)
what about knitting , i do be at first little example of deferents needles and look what best , and sure of it lighter count.

Offline AnnRowley

• Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: May 21, 2011, 06:06:18 PM »
Lisa, I always have this problem with knitting gauge.  :)  When I get the stitch gauge right - and I usually need to go down a needle size, then I always have too few rows.

I just knit until I get the right length and don't bother with the row count. 
The only place that it's sometimes a problem is the sleeve head and I sometimes just take the easy way out and increase the armhole depth a bit!   >:D   With more experience you can alter the sleeve shaping...

No one has been able to explain why the row gauge isn't right, but I've noticed it's better if I use a cable needle rather than two straight needles.  ???

Offline Saashka

« Reply #132 on: May 21, 2011, 07:26:11 PM »
Lisa, you socks are beautiful! I love the cable pattern and the color. How did you like working with Wildfoote? I'm a fan of Brown Sheep yarns but haven't tried the sock yarn yet.

Re: your gauge question - I just recalculate the pattern to match MY gauge.  I don't change needle size unless I dislike the fabric produced. I see it in the same way as using sewing patterns that don't fit out of the envelope: you wouldn't keep your shoulders up in the shrugging position or bind your bust to fit into the garment; you'd alter the pattern to fit YOU. Row gauge is easier than stitch gauge to recalculate (especially if there's a complicated stitch pattern) but I think both are easier than trying to match someone else's gauge.

FWIW, I just reworked a crochet pattern for my sister because the gauge was drastically different and I think it turned out just fine. She's a beginner crocheter and I only know the basics of crochet, but I can do math and know how the human body is shaped.

Offline LisaB

« Reply #133 on: May 21, 2011, 07:37:08 PM »
Thanks for the feedback about gauge. I'm not afraid to do calculations, etc., so maybe I'll take a shot at recalculating the pattern to match my gauge. I want to have this all worked out and started by the time my mother goes in for surgery the third week of June so that I have something to keep me occupied while she is in the hospital.

Ann, I always have to go down 1 or 2 needle sizes, but for some reason with this yarn and pattern, my gauge is closest when I go UP one size. That scares me and makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

I took my swatches to my LYS yesterday to have someone else double-check how I was measuring, but the shop was staffed by the owner's mother so that the owner could go away for the weekend. Unfortunately, she wasn't able to help me as she's not a knitter! I'll go back early next week. I'll feel more confident in my needle size/gauge if someone knowledgeable confirms that I measured correctly. Then I can decide if I want to recalculate or just knit the prescribed number of inches, etc.

Thanks again!

By the way, Ann, how do you knit with a cable needle? The cable needles I'm familiar with are quite short and not suitable (so far as I know) to knit more than a few stitches.

Alexandra, your sister did a beautiful job on her dress. It fits her perfectly!

Offline Amanteslove

• my work shops
« Reply #134 on: May 21, 2011, 07:41:25 PM »
Saashka that dress very cute sure like and sister :) all knitting or crocheting  need design like suiting clothes just too need in mind of pattern and self yarn much means of changes it can be stand or fit your body and really one of best thing before anything do just try little conner with pattern to know it good or not , not get off all work especial mohair cannot it do .

Offline Karendee

« Reply #135 on: May 21, 2011, 08:08:08 PM »
Alexandra,
Your sister's crochet dress is beautiful. I am getting in the mood to do a little crocheting. My problem is that I don't read the patterns very well. Perhaps I should get a very basic beginner book, as I do the basic stitches quickly and nicely. I never really decide if I count the stitch on the needle as one etc.

Lisa, your knitted socks are really lovely. The design is quite nice, and the color is gorgeous. Hope you get your gauge worked out before your hospital vigil.

Karen

Offline AnnRowley

• Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: May 22, 2011, 11:30:49 AM »
Congratulations to your sister, Alexandra , for a great dress!

Lisa, I don't actually knit with the cable needle. I slip the stitches onto it, hold it to the back or front as required, then work the next stitches.  Then I slip the stitches from the cable needle back onto the left hand needle and work them.

Does that make sense? I have no idea whether this is considered the correct way, it's just what I do. ;D

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: May 22, 2011, 12:26:57 PM »

No one has been able to explain why the row gauge isn't right, but I've noticed it's better if I use a cable needle rather than two straight needles.  ???

Ann, did you mean a circular needle rather than two straight needles? I almost always use a circular needle as well, but my knitting isn't nearly as nice as yours or Alexandra's.

Alexandra, pass on my kudos to your sis. Her dress really looks great on her. She must be thrilled that the project turned out so good.

Lisa, for not having knitted for many years, your socks sure speak to the old adage about never forgetting how to ride a bike. There should be a similar adage for knitting, because your socks are terrific. :)

Kathryn
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 12:28:36 PM by fzxdoc »

Offline AnnRowley

• Global Moderator
« Reply #138 on: May 22, 2011, 02:35:28 PM »
No one has been able to explain why the row gauge isn't right, but I've noticed it's better if I use a cable needle rather than two straight needles.  ???
Ann, did you mean a circular needle rather than two straight needles? I almost always use a circular needle as well, but my knitting isn't nearly as nice as yours or Alexandra's.

Yes!  I can never remember what that circular needle thing is called!  It's got a cable between the two ends so it's a cable needle. ???  Not!!!

Thanks for correcting me Kathryn!

Offline mardel

• Restingmotion
« Reply #139 on: May 22, 2011, 06:24:26 PM »
I've been away so long I'll never catch up anywhere except perhaps here on this thread.

Jenna, gorgeous knitting.  The gloves especially.  I wish I could sneak into your closet and steal the gloves. but the hat and sweater are beautiful too.  I do love the way your Snow White turned out.  That pattern has been in one of my queues for a long time.  I had so many queues that I didn't know where I was or what I wanted  Now I am consolidating them, and when it doesn't give me a headache I want to retire to a cave and knit.

Sharon, cute cute, sweater, and I love the green. 

Amanteslove, fabulous creations. 

Lisa, love the socks.  I usually go down a needle size or two, but there have been occasional projects where I go up.  Row gauge is always an issue, but for me, apparently like Ann, it is less of an issue on circular needles.  I have no idea why that may be.  If you get the right gauge, just knit to the right length and don't worry about your row gauge.  You might have to alter the space between decreases a bit, but that is easily done.  I only count rows on the second piece, to be sure they match the first, when necessary.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics