Author Topic: Is it true? You can use your JoAnn coupons at Michaels crafts?  (Read 8381 times)

Offline Fabrics R Fun

Is it true? You can use your JoAnn coupons at Michaels crafts?
« on: November 05, 2006, 01:32:41 AM »
I read that we can use our 40% off coupons from JoAnn's at Michaels.   Has anyone had success with that?
Sharon

QueenBee

Re: Is it true? You can use your JoAnn coupons at Michaels crafts?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 02:18:11 AM »
Maybe....several months ago one of my friends told me they let her use her Michael's coupon at Joanns. She said the cleck told her that they both belong to the same company. We were shocked at first. But our newly expanded Joann looks more like Michaels than any thing else....great place if you are a scrapbooker, which I am not, or if you want miles of really cheap quality fleece.....

I tried to verify online, but only discovered that one of them had put itself on the market- this is months ago- and I really don't recall which of the two it was.

Not much use, I know. Why don't you call each of them locally and ask?

Rene Marie

Offline LauraM

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 02:41:16 AM »
Yes, it's true.  I've been using both coupons at both stores for more than two years now.  If some of the employees aren't up to speed, if they question you, just ask them to check with the store manager.
I can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.

LdyBluNH

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 02:20:40 AM »
WITH LIMITATIONS!!!!!!

i asked this question two days ago and the guy tells me "we won't take the printed ones"  so i blinked at him desperately trying not to say what the BLEEEEEP are you saying?

what he means is that they will not take the ones that are EMAILED to customers and the whole stupid rationale?  because they don't offer email coupons so they won't take them

unfortunately i wasn't in a position to point out to him the stupidity of that statement given michael's doesn't  offer coupons mailed to customers but they still take them from joann's!

i'm still steaming about the idiocy about the whole damn thing esp. since i was trying to buy a rotary cutter that joann's was supposed to have in stock over five months ago and i left without it.

Offline LauraM

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 03:00:16 AM »
That is true........Michael's will only take the flyer coupons that Joann's puts in their flyers.  They will not take printed off the computer coupons that you might get from a Joann's email.

Hobby Lobby will not take anyone else's coupons but their own, but Joann's will accept coupons from both Michael's and Hobby Lobby.
I can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.

QueenBee

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 07:23:06 AM »
And assuming that your store has employees with any sense. My local Michaels is so bad now. The supervisors & managers are pretty clueless & poorly trained. We were there tonight. Hubby got me a $50 gift card for Christmas.  He thought I haven't been buying there because I'm cheap. I am ;D, but the product mix is now so heavy on scrapbook or yarn craft, and I'm not into that. They've reduced their magazines; mostly magazines they carry here now are scrapbook, knit or crochet. Twice this year they have had Threads,  3 times Belle Armoire. Not once have they had any of the other magazines I used to buy there. It's been hard to spend there recently, not that I haven't been trying ;D
Can I rant now? Thanks! No where is there a sign and it took 3 employees to determine that gift cards are final sale. I said that was absurd, Manager said "corporate policy", no apology, no nice-nice, no nothing. I said I would make sure my husband never spends another dime in there on me, and my friends won't as well. The manager? She shrugs her shoulder and turns her back on me without a single word!!! :o I walked out with my useless $50 gift card. When I was in retail management, if I had treated a customer like that, I would have been looking for another job. I was dumbfounded.

Tuesday my Husband will be on the phone with the corporate office. He is amazing when he talks to customer service! They will probably send me another gift card when he is thru with them.

If they sold online, I'd use the card there. Instead, I'm driving across town to spend it at the other Michaels. These people don't get any more of my $$ in this store.

So yeah, you can use your coupon at Michaels, but why would you want to? Take the Michaels coupon and go to JoAnn. ;D
Rene Marie :confettitoss:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 09:41:06 PM by QueenBee »

Offline nanners

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 09:01:25 AM »

LdyBluNH  I am curious which store it was. I am in NH also...in Concord actually.

Don't ride faster than your guardian angel!
                        Susan

Offline Jeanne

• Norton Grape
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 04:00:03 AM »
Queenbee, did you know you can swap your gift cards here http://www.swapagift.com/ ?
Jeanne
Everything turns out O.K. in the end.  If it isn't O.K., it isn't the end.

Offline sewnmachine

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 11:51:13 PM »
I use the Michaels 50% off coupons at Joanns. Since Joanns doesnt offer 50% off coupons like they used too, I always hang onto the Michaels ads in the sunday paper. They often have one.  This past weekend I bought 5 yards of beautiful upholstery material with my Michaels coupon. 
A gooddog, a sewing machine and an old guitar..........

Offline kt2734

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 12:45:03 AM »
I have found that it is different from store to store.  I used to use my Michael's coupons in JoAnn's - no questions.  Within the past month I was purchasing thread and tried to use my Michael's coupon and was told I could not because Michael's does not sell thread.  I tried again over this weekend purchasing interfacing and I got the same response.  The clerk told me that the local Hobby Lobby will take JoAnn's coupons for fabric items because they sell fabric. 
Kim

Offline stitchology

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 03:30:52 PM »
My Joann's at first didn't want to take a Hancock coupon because "that's a fabric store" until I pointed out I was buying fabric, duh.

Michael's and AC Moore will take each other's coupons and both sell sewing notions. Linens & Things and Bed, Bath & Beyond will take each other's coupons. Sometimes if a store refuses a competitor coupon you can smile and say, OK, I'll buy this at that store instead and you might get a manager to come approve it.

I once went a day early for a pattern sale at Hancock and they initially refused to sell the pattern at the sale price. I really hadn't seen the date accurately with my old eyes, changed to reading glasses in front of them, sighed loudly, explained this was my only day off and I wouldn't be able to come back. The manager took pity on me and I got my 99 cent pattern.

The moral is if you're cheap enough and have the shamelessness to do it you can talk people into all kinds of things. I always examine things for flaws and get something knocked off the price if I find one.
My sewing mantra: Always practice on scraps first.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics