Author Topic: Sewing With A Plan 2011 Official Rules  (Read 26646 times)

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
  • The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
    • Your Button Shop
Sewing With A Plan 2011 Official Rules
« on: October 31, 2010, 04:23:30 AM »
The SWAP contest is a yearly challenge to sew 11 garments that will all work together.  Some years, every top has to match every bottom; other years, the 11 pieces simply have to work together as a collection.

No purchase neccesary anywhere; this contest is open to anyone with a needle and thread, regardless of budget or availability of items.  Just jump in and join the fun. :)

Please keep a copy of all images you upload on your hard drive in case SG's server fails or something is accidentally deleted.

I loved the way everyone took last year's rules and ran with them.  We had, in my opinion, the most successful SWAP ever in terms of the variety of garments made, the incredible talent and skills demonstrated, the fashion sense displayed, and the happiness on the wearer's faces when the photos were taken.  

So, let's keep the same formats for the garment options this year:

They are:

Option #1:
6 tops  - t-shirts, shirts, blouses, or camisoles
4 bottoms - jeans, pants, shorts, skirts or kilts.
1 your choice (not an accesory)

Option #2:
2 dresses -single pieces consisting of top and bottom that can be worn alone.
6 tops  - t-shirts, shirts, blouses, or camisoles
2 bottoms - jeans, pants, shorts, skirts or kilts.

Option #3:
5 dresses -single pieces consisting of top and bottom that can be worn alone.
4 tops  - t-shirts, shirts, blouses, or camisoles
1 bottom  - jeans, pants, shorts, skirt or kilt.

3 garments may be purchased or previously sewn.
1 may be knitted or crocheted.

Now here's your twist:

Every garment should be made with a technique or feature that you haven't tried, or haven't mastered.  My personal Waterloo is zippers -hate 'em, because I have to take them out and redo them at least once, every time.  And there are several things I've sampled, but have never used on a garment -slotted seams, for one.  

That doesn't mean every garment should have a zipper, if that's what you have trouble with.  But at least one should.  And if you never mastered buttonholes, at least one garment should have one.  If you've never made a flat-felled seam, now's the time. :)

Because this will be more challenging, I'm allowing one more garment to be puchased so that everyone can be pretty sure to finish in time.  I know last year was more fussy, but this year will be more apt to have pieces that need to be redone, or may even cause a wadder or two.  So to offset that, the total number of garments to be made is one less.

Sewing will begin December 26th, and all garments must be finished by April 30th, 2011.  Because this is a shorter time frame, pattern fitting and cutting may be done whenever you're ready.

You'll need to take a minimum of six photos, maximum 12 will be required.

The photos may be on you, on a dress form or any other way which shows them well.

You should show how you plan to combine tops and bottoms, and together should show everything. You’ll probably need to photograph some bottoms more than once.

Composites will be allowed, but only if they show details of the same outfit, e.g. a back view, a close up or the “before” photo if you are recycling. You may not show two different outfits on the same photo; such photos won’t be posted!

Please number your photos and then add a brief note to describe each one and when you plan to wear it, e.g. 1) Pink cotton Jalie top with khaki  poly/cotton BWOF pants; weekend shopping.

Details about where the photos will be sent or uploaded will be forthcoming.  

Finally, this year, the individual threads are optional.  I originally required them, because I thought it would be easier on everyone to keep their own plans and ideas in a seperate place, but it's proven too unwieldy in too many ways.  So start one if you wish, but if you don't need it or prefer to keep everything together in one place, that's fine.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 08:21:01 PM by DragonLady »
Looking for the perfect button?  I may have one in my Etsy shop:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoadsideAttractions

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
Re: SWAP 2011 Official Rules
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 10:31:43 AM »
I wonder if things like using metallic thread or other decorative things like seams being on the outside would also be within these categories?

Only if there's something about those seams you've never tried or mastered. 

Offline KathrynT

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 10:33:22 AM »
So, do previously sewn items need new techniques?

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 10:35:59 AM »
So, do previously sewn items need new techniques?

No.  ;D

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 02:09:53 PM »
It should be no problem to spread these over 8 garments, and also, if I understand correctly, we can use the same new/problem-method in several garments.

Yes, you may.  It's up to you.

Offline SarahLouWho

• Sarah
    • In a Nutshell, Anachronism
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 02:22:58 PM »
Is drafting a technique? 
My blog about sewing and life: In a Nutshell, Anachronism

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 02:30:39 PM »
Yes, but not for purposes of our contest, as the draft itself isn't wearable. 

Offline sdBev

• sdBev
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 05:31:34 PM »
"Finally, this year, the individual threads are optional. "
Oh thank heavens.  I really prefer one topic even if it gets to be 60 pages long!. 

Do do you suggest making our posts here on the rules topic, or on a different thread?

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 07:14:27 PM »
Do do you suggest making our posts here on the rules topic, or on a different thread?

I think we should make a different thread, so I don't keep coming here thinking there are questions about the rules.  Or just post it in the one that exists already; I'm fine with that.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 07:18:44 PM by DragonLady »

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 07:17:02 PM »
DragonLady, if I took a plain pant pattern and drafted in all the details I wanted (added pockets, seaming, essentially all the design details etc.), does that count, it is a skill I am still working on?

The drafting does not count as a skill for this contest.  Only the actual sewing.  So if you draft on a pocket in type you've never done or draft up some seams you've never used, fine.  But the pencil-to-the-paper draft doesn't count here.

Offline RuthieSews

• RuthieSews, sewing in Derbyshire, England
    • SEW RUTHIE
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 09:33:57 PM »
Hello Dragonlady, can you advise please if all the bottoms have to go with all the tops, and also work with or without the jacket (if included)?
Or is the whole working together as a 'Collection' sufficient.

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 02:41:46 AM »
Just work as a collection, like last year.  Trying to make everything really matchy-matchy while also working with new materials or trying new techniques is a step to far, IMO.

Offline Lisa Laree

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 02:52:33 AM »
Did I read it right...*every* garment has to have a new or unfamiliar or unmastered technique?  Trying to imagine basic wardrobe items, such as t-shirts, having a need for something new or different or advanced...just trying to wrap my head around the idea.  Dunno if I can get in on it this year...the kids will be doing Romeo and Juliet for their magnet production in February; could throw a crimp in my for-me sewing.  But it's been a while since I did a SWAP set...I could use a wardrobe boost.  So I'm a-thinkin' 'bout it...
Lisa Laree
So much fabric -- so little time!
Sew Random

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 04:23:14 AM »
Yes, every garment must have a new or unmastered feature or technique.  However, the three purchased or previously sewn items do not. 

Offline leslieandrandy@shaw.ca

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 05:10:04 PM »

Thanks for SWAP 2011, Dragonlady--so exciting!  Can I just clarify that the new/unmastered technique can be anything that WE haven't mastered--even if everyone else in the world seems to think it's easy-peasy?

Offline kitnrose

• My little shop - stop in and have some tea!
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 07:52:07 PM »
Oh, time to plan!  Thanks for offering the different option - I'm in a dress mood this year for some reason and really want a couple (or more) dresses and a lovely long knit cardigan to throw over them.  So this is perfect!  And with all the neckline embellishments I'm seeing this year it shouldn't be all that hard to find some new technique ideas to spice up my knit shirt pattern.  

ps - I wasn't participating last SWAP so just a question on the difference between a collection and all matching - does this mean that all tops do not need to necessarily go with all bottoms?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 09:47:31 PM by kitnrose »

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 10:58:18 PM »

Thanks for SWAP 2011, Dragonlady--so exciting!  Can I just clarify that the new/unmastered technique can be anything that WE haven't mastered--even if everyone else in the world seems to think it's easy-peasy?

Yes. :)

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 10:59:41 PM »
ps - I wasn't participating last SWAP so just a question on the difference between a collection and all matching - does this mean that all tops do not need to necessarily go with all bottoms?

Right.  All the garments should "belong" in the same closet and should work together as a group, but they do not all have to match each other.

Offline kitnrose

• My little shop - stop in and have some tea!
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 11:56:01 PM »
Right.  All the garments should "belong" in the same closet and should work together as a group, but they do not all have to match each other.

Excellent!  I can use that gorgeous plaid that so wants to be a skirt but always seems to be not-quite-right with that one shirt fabric that I so want to use and which looks great with the rest of the bottoms.   ;D

Offline Chel

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 12:07:19 AM »
I don't know how to do quotes here...

DL:  "Every garment should be made with a technique or feature that you haven't tried, or haven't mastered.  My personal Waterloo is zippers -hate 'em, because I have to take them out and redo them at least once, every time.  And there are several things I've sampled, but have never used on a garment -slotted seams, for one.  "

I want to make sure that I understand the twist correctly.  There need not be eleven new techniques.  If, for example, I have never done a collar stand, then I can sew three shirts with collar stands using this one new technique.  Is this correct?

DL:  "Sewing will begin December 26th, and all garments must be finished by April 30th, 2010.  Because this is a shorter time frame, pattern fitting and cutting may be done whenever you're ready. "

By cutting do you mean fabric cutting or strictly pattern cutting?

DL:  "Finally, this year, the individual threads are optional.  I originally required them, because I thought it would be easier on everyone to keep their own plans and ideas in a seperate place, but it's proven too unwieldy in too many ways.  So start one if you wish, but if you don't need it or prefer to keep everything together in one place, that's fine. "

If a member wants to start an individual thread, will the same rules as last year apply?  I.e., are comments only from the thread starter allowed on that thread?

Thank you!

L

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 06:53:52 AM »
I want to make sure that I understand the twist correctly.  There need not be eleven new techniques.  If, for example, I have never done a collar stand, then I can sew three shirts with collar stands using this one new technique.  Is this correct?

Yes.  It's up to you if you want to use the same new material or technique on more than one garment, or if you would prefer to do something different on each one.

By cutting do you mean fabric cutting or strictly pattern cutting?

Both your patterns and your fabric may be cut ahead of time, to save time and steps when you're doing the actual sewing while the contest runs.

If a member wants to start an individual thread, will the same rules as last year apply?  I.e., are comments only from the thread starter allowed on that thread?

Yes, please.  It helps keep the mod team from going nuts trying to read all those individual posts and different threads.

Offline indigotiger

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2010, 03:35:47 PM »
Would a hand knit cardigan be a "top" or would it be a "your choice/other"? (If it matters, I plan on doing an Option #3 SWAP)
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2010, 10:52:08 PM »
Would a hand knit cardigan be a "top" or would it be a "your choice/other"? (If it matters, I plan on doing an Option #3 SWAP)

I would call a cardigan the your choice/other, as it cannot be warn alone.

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010, 12:36:56 PM »
Do I understand correctly that we don't need to do a different technique on every garment, but every garment needs to have one to-be-mastered technique?

That is correct. :)

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2010, 03:50:09 AM »
Would working with a new pattern (as in a coat pattern from Marfy) count as a 'new technique' ?  Particularly since it is a coat, and I would need to draft a lining myself....

No, the pattern does not count.  The garment itself must use the new material, or the new technique must be part of the finished garment.

Offline Emily

• SEW Vancouver Blog
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2010, 01:33:41 AM »
Dragonlady, For the new techniques rule can I for example use an embroidery technique or does it need to be sewing? For example, say i'm making a cardigan/shirt combo can I serge the pieces (sewing technique I've mastered), and then do a new machine or hand embroidery technique for the design?

Thanks

Offline miranda

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2010, 01:42:05 AM »
Not DL, Emily, but I hope so, as I'm hoping to do the same thing!

Miranda

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2010, 04:45:36 AM »
For example, say i'm making a cardigan/shirt combo can I serge the pieces (sewing technique I've mastered), and then do a new machine or hand embroidery technique for the design?

I will allow that, yes.  But I'd prefer to see actual construction techniques.

Offline miranda

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2010, 06:29:20 AM »
Hmm, so a new neckline treatment might be okay?  Hen's curled neckband or a pleated trim?  I was planning to use an embroidery topstitching thingy (technical term there!) as one of my new techniques... Will think on it...

Miranda

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2010, 09:48:44 AM »
Hmm, so a new neckline treatment might be okay?

Yes.  I realize most folks will need to keep it fairly simple for several of the garments.  The point of the contest is learn new things, not to make yourself crazy. :)

Offline NancyQW

• Encue Creations
    • Encue Creations
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2010, 03:55:58 PM »
Does the dress have to be separates, or can it be a one piece dress?

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2010, 04:58:03 AM »
Does the dress have to be separates, or can it be a one piece dress?

A one-piece dress is fine, and will count as 1 dress.  A two-piece dress that will be worn as seperte pieces would count as one top and one bottom. However, if those two pieces will ONLY be worn together, than it will count as 1 dress.

Offline ekFitz

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2010, 06:52:36 AM »
I am not sure I fully understand the premise. Are we supposed to trade aka 'swap' our garmemts with another person? I'm not sure what else the 'swap' word in the title would mean.

Erin

Offline Hen

• sewing in New Zealand
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2010, 07:34:10 AM »
"SWAP" is an acronym and stands for Sewing With A Plan.
The aim is to sew a basic wardrobe of 11 pieces that coordinate.
Without a plan, hobby-seamstresses often just buy separate pieces of beautiful fabrics and in the end have nothing to wear together.
You don't have to give anything away! Sometimes I wish! ;)

Good that you asked, this contest is running for years now and somehow nobody noticed that the basic idea should be explained. No wonder it is always the same people joining.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 07:41:23 AM by Hen »

Offline DragonLady

• Administrator
    • Your Button Shop
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2010, 07:37:11 AM »
somehow nobody explained the basic idea this year! No wonder it is always the same people joining.

Whoops!  That "nobody" would be me.  ::)  I'm sorry.  :-[

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics