Author Topic: BessC's Swap 2018 I knee-d to Sew --pls comment elsewhere  (Read 2976 times)

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
  • Winner's Points: 1
BessC's Swap 2018 I knee-d to Sew --pls comment elsewhere
« on: November 03, 2017, 11:43:34 AM »
My username is bessiecrocker, but I will use BessC for this swap. Making it easier to refer to this for comments--just shorter to type!

I will slowly post my plan. This first post will indicate my participation, and "hold my place" as I go further.  I am pretty far along with knowing what I want to do. Sharing the information is more complicated and time consuming but doing so helps me clarify where I am going. It might help me stick to the plan, too!

more to come...

« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 11:19:11 AM by bessiecrocker »

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
Re: BessC's Swap 2018 currently unnamed --pls comment elsewhere
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 12:27:28 PM »
The setting:
Polished casual, suitable for a very conservative setting. Relaxed comfortable pieces for a day of strolling with the dog through European city, village, and  countryside. Must have enough style to enable sitting on a terrace with a coffee or glass of wine at any nice café, restaurant, or hotel.

The climate:
European late spring into early Autumn. Mountain climate with cool spring, iffy summer, comfortable to chilly autumn. Last summer was unusually hot -- for maybe a couple of weeks. :) I lack clothing for really warm weather. But will include layers in case Trump happens to be right about global warming! Meaning we get back to "normal" climate, which means I am usually cold and wear fleece and boilded wool all year round. Collection suitable for three seasons: early May to end of September. 

The colors:
Neutrals:
1. Turquoise, light and bright

2. Purple, light to dark.

Accent
1. Teal, greener and darker... or Blue, darker and muted (sitting on the fence! Will decide later)

Prints
1. vibrant Hawaiian style floral (bit out of my comfort range, but I like the print and feel a bit wild and rebellious...will make a comfortable, fun dress for around home and very causual wear. The look can be toned down when if I need to look more "responsible". It's summer, don't be too serious!)

2. Stripe. dark and bright stripes. Very versatile. Not sure how to best use it yet. Dress? if all else fails: tee shirt.

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 12:32:45 PM »
Inspirational images:

This is a beautiful, special mountain lake close to our home. Water is an unbelievable, magical shade of turquoise.

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 12:35:47 PM »
This artwork shows the general color palette

ARTFINDER: Winter Garden by Louise Mead

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 01:43:32 PM »
The garments aka general plan:

Totals: 2 layers, 4 tops, 2 Dresses, 1 skirt, 2 pants, 1 accessory

Neutral 1: Turquoise
1. Top , plain sleeveless linen shell. Sewing Workshop MixIt or similar (Ottobre?)
2. Top, crinkle semi-sheer cotton?, long sleeve maybe tunic length, loose and cool with sun protection
3. Bottom, pants, cropped? linen to match shell. CL One Seams.

Netural 2: Purple
1. Layer, sweater. Cardigan acrylic, puchased. Heathered purple.
2. Top, knit, plain short sleeve light purple
3. Top, knit, dark purple 3/4 sleeve.
4. Skirt, purple suede cloth type. Really plain, simple A-line. Don't have much fabric.

Accent: (teal or blue?? or? picking up one of the colors in Print 1)
1. Layer--some sort of vest or simple jacket. Warmish fabric. Styled so it can go over the sweater, in case it's really cool. (Our summers usually last for about 12 hours! ...then it's cool again.) Color, fabric, pattern all to be determined. This is viewed as a true signature "accent piece" to add some spark to the rest of a pretty simple, plain collection. 
2. Bottom-pants, linen. maybe more tailored than the other pant. 

Print
1.  Casual summer day dress. Hawaiian floral printed cotton..
2.  Dress? Stripe. No excess fabric, could go buy more but don't want to. Fall back plan: simple tee shirt.

Accessory:
Surprise

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 09:33:12 AM »
I like reading other people's production schedules. (another one of Ruthie's good ideas) I intended to post mine here and maybe do photos of my fabric. Until I had a "yikes" moment and realized I need to start sewing on garment 1 by Monday afternoon.  Otherwise I am already behind schedule. So today is decide, prep and cut work! Tomorrow and Monday morning are already lost to invitations and other commitments. Arg!

I need to set a firm resolve to "Sew first and post later!"

One of the tips I picked up from watching Sewing Bee TV shows: don't dither. If you have a deadline, you need to make a decision fast, hopefully a good one, go with it and move forward.

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 11:27:39 AM »
Sewing Production Plan:

Current stumbling block: get over the flu.
Anticipated biggest stumbling block: Winter, ski season. Busiest time of the year for me. Oh well…
Motivation: just keep chipping away at this. It's do-able. Maybe not all of it, but something will be accomplished. Better than nothing!

November to mid Dec.
   concentrate and finish signature layer piece. Enjoy hand work and details. Prep as much as possible. (muslin of dress pattern). Stay calm and focused.
   Other projects: Five! family pajamas as Xmas presents. Finish (non-swap) trousers.
Mid Dec to mid Jan.
    enjoy holidays, family visiting. Prep and plan, sewing on back burner.
Mid Jan- to end of Jan.
   Concentrated sewing. Purple Core: 2 simple tops and a simple skirt. Do not be deterred. This is possible.
   Other projects: Promised my sister to make her curtains for two large windows. She is sending me fabric, after I bugged her for 6 months to pick out something. Need these done asap, spring latest. Curtains are fiddly and take lots of space. Figure out how to do this big project and swap at the same time. Do not panic.
February
   Turquoise core: pants, shell, tunic (total 6 simple garments in 6 weeks.)
   Other projects: curtains!!
March
   accent pant, finish UFOs, start dresses. Prep on dress pattern should be done (ASAP? make wearable non-swap muslin?) Dress patterns are similar, fitting should be similar. Knit may be hard to work with. Plan for challenges.
   Other projects: go on back burner until swap is under control.
April
   crunch sewing,  dresses.
Mid-April- travel plans.
This is my deadline! Photos and posting…worry about that later, do the sewing. Look forward to wearing Swap on the trip. Worry less, sew more.

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 08:04:51 AM »
random musings while I "coffee up" before I get on with the day and "the project"...

My thoughts on the trends:

Spring 2018 Trends
yellow, lavender, orange -- going for purple, which includes some light purple/lavender?. bit of yellow in my print. Orange, NO. Look awful in orange. Yellow also not so good. Even the little tiny bit in the print gives me pause.

bold graphic prints -- print is pretty "Hawaiian", that's about as bold as I go. Will have to do.

geometric cutouts --no, I doubt it. Not me.

more denim -- no. going for less denim. Linen is better, dressier summer fabric. Cooler, too, in my experience. Love the colors and texture of real linen. Not so crazy about the wrinkles. Thinking of interlining my linen pants, to de-wrinkle, but want to be able to wear them in pretty warm weather. Our weather is totally unpredictable, you never know what the temperature will be. Too cold, too hot, both on the same day!

tassels, sequins -- sequins, big NO. tassels, let me muse on that. Would not be normally on my radar screen. Maybe.

sheer fabric -- have included a semi-sheer. Don't push me further. Have decided to make the semi part even less sheer. See where this is going?

matching or coordinating fanny pack/bum bag -- do not make me laugh! No way...I went through this faze before, 1980s. Not a good look then, and my bum was in much better shape at that point in time. i carry a (dressy, nice looking) back pack as my daily purse. Kid myself that doing that sort of keeps me in the cool and hip category.

So I am pretty much already failing at the trendy part. Let's consider quidelines:

Guidelines (not required but recommended)

Use TNT patterns as much as possible - have sewn most/many of the patterns before. Am too ambitious. Will no doubt use fall back tnt when the crunch is on.

Limit the number of patterns used since Designer Collections include the same garments made in different colors/prints - see previous.

Consider using some textured neutrals to add more interest especially if you are a print person --pretty good on texture. Linen, suede cloth, big and small knits, crinkle knit, woven, maybe something warmer and fleecy? getting one correct answer here, yeah!

Consider including one trend item based on your chosen season -- only one. so I use a Hawaiian print with some lavender in it and add a tassel somehow, on the denim sequined fanny pack maybe? Sorted!

need another cup of Joe now. this was stressful.

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 07:41:28 PM »

I always amaze myself when I manage to post a picture I took myself. Don't know how to bump this up bigger so you can see it. Hoping it is clickable.

More on this later. Just plopped these down on the dining room table, not going for quality here. Color resolution no where near accurate.

Hey, note that little tassel on top of the turqoise pile? I was trendy before my time...Found it in the trim stash. I made a cute little evening bag to go with DD's prom dress. She hated the tassel. Refused to use purse unless I ripped off the weird tassel. It is pale turqoise. Think I will re-purpose that thing and apply it to my fanny...pack/bag/whatever.

Fabric Pile 1
Clockwise from top left:

Netural 2: Purple pile
Netural 1: Turquoise pile
Accent: dark blue. Both neturals are light and bright. Contrast is dark and muted.
2 prints not included. will photograph sometime before May. 

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 08:36:08 PM »
I have been letting my fabrics and patterns "simmer" ... and doing some shuffling. The fabrics want to be made into things that aren't going to look all that good on my body. So now I'm thinking...6 months til I wear this (summer) wardrobe. Maybe what is really called for during swap is a Diet plan??? Sew and get in shape at the same time.???

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 02:25:21 PM »
The official SWAP start is nearly upon us...so I am posting a progress update to let you know how this is evolving. I will post a visual version of this information ... as soon as the household tech fairy shows up (for a holiday visit) and helps me do the eletronic jiggering. In the meantime...

After lots of thought, lots of talking and listening to my fabric, after coming to terms with the current state of my body, and dealing out hand after hand of pattern combos ...here is where I assume I am heading with this.  Your thoughts and comments have been useful! Thank you all for your input, inspiration and concrete suggestions. Please feel free to contribute further, nothing is in stone yet. I am open to improvements. Post on the swap comment thread, please.

The modified plan: 11 garments and opt. accesory.

2 overlayers, with an option of using a purchased cardigan, if necessary. The cardigan is already in my wardrobe, purple, and will add a really warm layer to a warm weather collection, if the weather requires it.

Layer 1: Turq. overlayer: Sewing Workshop e shrug. This is a super simple pattern with TWO pattern pieces. If barely qualifies under the rules...but my very light crinkle knit fabric is begging to be made in this pattern. I considered doing lots of other things with this fabric...but nothing works. So am going with this simple shrug. It will be a very nice layering piece for nice summer days. Should have enough fabric left over to make a matching light summer scarf.

Layer 2: Accent, blue, overlayer: Burda 8064. Another simple pattern,  THREE pattern pieces (barely!) Fleece, which I plan to line, increasing the complexity slightly. The fleece is a really good warmer layering fabric for our summers. If it is super cool, I can put the cardigan, or extra top layers under this simple vest.

3 Tops, plus 2 tunic tops.

Top 1: Cap sleeve Tee. Knipmode, no. 25 March 2016. light purple cotton knit.

Top 2: 3/4 sleeve, boat neck. McCalls 6571. Palmer Pletsch. darker purple rayon knit.

Top 3: Sleeveless shell Cutting Line, My Heart's a Flutter   Turquoise linen.

Tunics are the new addition to the concept. This came about after thinking about how best to use my fabrics. I also think having a longer top may be useful for summer...allowing me to wear shorts and have my rear covered! I won't include shorts in the swap collection (because I don't want to post a photo of me in shorts!) But I do own a couple pairs that will work with this... a pair of white knits shorts and  turquoise knit shorts. I wear shorts in really hot weather...but only at home or on the way to the lake or pool. I am not really comfortable in shorts in actual public! But with the tunics I will feel better about lower body exposure plus stay cool. In any case, these willl give me a super good hot weather option. The tunics are planned to go with the pants, the skirt, and possibly with leggings if I need some cooler weather extensions...our weather is so unpredictable. We always have at least a few days where we light the fireplace during the summer -- a day or two of icy hail during the summer is not UN-common.

Tunic 1: Merchant and Mills The Dress Shirt turquoise woven cotton. Cut shorter than the pattern. Don't have too much fabric. Will probably cut the bib and yoke out of alternate fabric. I'm hoping I have enough scraps from print dress for the contrast pieces.

Tunic 2: Vogue 8691, Katherine Tilton. Stripe knit. Long sleeve. Not sure about the ruffle yet. Might change the hemline to mirror the M&M tunic, so these two pieces can be worn layered together. I'm working on a summer wardrobe with lots of snow outside! I can't imagine it being hot...can you tell? Thinking of how many pieces I can layer on top of one another...

Bottoms: 2 pants, 1 skirt...as well as the shorts (not part of the swap)
Pant 1 and 2 : Cutting Line One Seams in dark and light tuurqoise linen. Might make one pair slightly more tailored, no elastic waistband. Depends on "state of the body" as I get ready to sew these.

Skirt: Vogue 2218 tnt boring A line. Purple woven with nice slightly sueded texture. Mystery fabric out of the stash.

Dress: Simplicity 8691 Woven print cotton. Fabric is vintage stash... I remember where I bought this, and I know I haven't been there for at least 20 years!

So...I am feeling good about this. It's do-able. The latest life-wrinkle is that I need some knee surgery...which you'd think would cut into my sewing time. But I actually think this increases my hopes of finishing the swap project. I usually ski a lot during the winter...but after knee repair there won't be any skiing til at least March, which gives me Lots of extra time to sew. Look on the positive side, right?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 02:30:45 PM by bessiecrocker »

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
Re: BessC's Swap 2018 No Knee-d to Sew --pls comment elsewhere
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 10:22:57 PM »
With huge regret and much sadness I am pulling out of Swap. I am not even going to get to the starting line, because I know that my ability to finish is getting more and more unlikely. I will move my efforts to the slow swap category and do my best with my own time frame constrictions.

I have some medical issues that I thought wouldn't hinder me all that much. Turns out I may be unable to (machine) sew for a couple of months as now both legs are going to be out of commission. I probably can't use the machine foot pedal. Just bad luck.

I did some thinking about how to adapt this for hand sewing, maybe do some  Alabama Chanin, but I can't really see it working for a whole wardrobe. Also, I have just finished a knit-crochet accessory that was meant to be the pre-swap sew...so have used up that option.

I am not totally giving up the fight...I have six weeks from March to mid-April, where I could in theory be able to sew 10 garments. This might work in theory, but I don't think it will happen.

I will follow all the other entries with great interest! Good luck to all.

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
Re: BessC's Swap 2018 I knee-d to Sew --pls comment elsewhere
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2017, 11:25:56 AM »
Thanks to all who have wished me well as I embark on the road to  better physical health.  Like most worthwhile journeys I don’t expect the road to  always be easy, the way ahead to be fully clear or the route to be short and straightforward. I am, however, focused on the destination. I anticipate being in a better place in a few months.

Regarding sewing and this swap, I have already reached a better vista! I have experienced a small Christmas sewing miracle.

Kayoticsewing  sent me a very kind PM to tell me about an older sewing machine of her daughter’s that operated with a hand switch. I knew about these machines, but had never used one and I certainly didn’t think my flock of three SMs included that feature.  Buying a new machine was out of the question, for many reasons (such as DH potentially leaving me.) And I did consider renting one, but getting it organized is more than I could deal with at present. So I bowed out of SWAP due to insurmountable technical obstacles.

Then the DDs showed up at home for the holidays, bringing with them items they wanted sewing mom to mend! On Dec. 24 I sat down at my Juki f-600, the newest member of the herd, to fix a small seam in DDs Christmas Dress.  I have had this machine for a while, but it has more doodads than I use…so I tend to learn it as I go along, when I find a reason to figure out something fancy on the machine.

So there I am doing up a simple seam, and I notice this large, unknown, red button right on the front of the machine. I push it, probably for the first time, and nothing happens. Finish the mending…then I dig out the manual. Thumb through that to way in the end looking for an explanation of the big red button. Finally find it…”start/stop button” Eureka?! Do I have a hand operated switch on this baby after all? I push the button again, nothing happens, Not much more info in the manual…dang. Then I have a light bulb moment, unplug the foot cord (which I thought was pretty clever of me to have figured out) and the button finally does something. Yes, it IS a hand switch, I am declaring myself back in the game.

Using the switch is going to take some getting used to. But  under the circumstances, I think I’ll adapt fast. Funny how that works when your options are limited.

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 11:45:59 AM »
For the next step in the process, I need to thank Lisanne for posting about how important the preparation step is in good sewing.  http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php?action=post;quote=30672;topic=148.210
 I felt pretty good about my preparation for this swap, but planning for the un-expected was not something I thought about much. Since the official start I have not been able to sew as my family is still on holiday break and I’m in one place and my sewing supplies are elsewhere. But I have used this extra bit of time to re-think my plans. And to really think through all the stages of this Swap, as the secret for me  actually being able to do this hinges on my being absolutely prepared and well organized in advance.

Here is the revised production schedule. I know this is optimistic, but I feel having a good goal and some fun distraction will be an asset as I wait for my body to heal.

January. I have about a week’s time before I am out of action. It’s going to be busy. My trips into the city for dr. appointments will be an opportunity to stop in to pick up a few random notions that I still need, I need ALL the supplies for this SWAP right NOW as I won’t be able to hop in the car if I happen to find I need  another spool of thread. In this crazy week,  I must also carve out about 4 hours of concentrated sewing time. (Pizza take-out night, just write it in the calendar!)  In that small amount of focused sewing  time, I think I can finish both of the easy layering garments. Only  5 pattern pieces. Do-able. I also need to organize and pack every single thing I will need to sew 4 turquoise garments during the next phase.

February. I expect to spend most of the month in a rehab center, It won’t exactly be a vacation...but I should have lots of down time to SIT and sew. The plan is to finish all 4 of my turquoise garments ( 2 pants, a top, and a tunic.) Need only one or at  most two colors of thread, fabrics are all woven and not hard to deal with (I will be learning to use that hand switch), plus I think I can finish the seams by  doing most construction on the Juki SM using French seams. I plan to turn that into a design feature. Somehow, I picked the right set of patterns.

March. Back home, hope to be able to use a foot pedal again, even if I am not yet fully walking. Will sew 3 knit pieces (serger required, 2 tops and a tunic) plus a simple woven skirt.

April. I hope to be mobile again. Have only limited time due to previous travel plans starting mid month, See if I can sew up the print dress really fast. If not, it is dropped from official swap. I don’t need it for my trip wardrobe, the collection works fine without a casual summer dress, Plus it’s only early spring so I am not likely to need a hot  weather garment anyway. The dress can be sewn in June or July, not a rush.

My option, if the dress is not included, will be a pair of purchased dark denim jeans. My accent color just happens to be a dark indigo blue, and I can get this to work. The only regret is that my print, the inspiration for the whole swap, is not going to appear. Instead, my secondary print, a simple stripe made into a tunic, will fulfill the print rule.

May :) Photos and submission. Why think that far ahead?. Plus do I really care if this is official anyway? I just want to have the challenge and the satisfaction of having a  practical and pretty set of summer clothing at the end of this. And to be walking without pain.

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 01:33:39 PM »

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 09:51:30 AM »
Just posting a quick "progress report". Mostly about my physical status, as not much has been happening SWAP wise. My surgery went really well, I am doing fantastically (great doctor!), rehab is faster and easier than expected and I have reached the bored-to-death stage which means I am attempting to do something to up the SWAP production.

The physical limitations are different than I expected. First, the good news: I am healing much faster than expected and use of my legs and feet is better than expected. I can use a machine foot pedal. My serger is back in action. The downside: I don't "sit" very well and for very long. I can "sew" but only for very short bits of time. Getting up and down out of a chair is my biggest limitation and it is super hard to get up and press at the ironing board. I should have set up a near-by temporary pressing station that I can reach from my rolling sewing chair. (DH will eventually get called in to help my move things around..but he's been doing pretty much everything else for me, so I hesitate to ask for yet more help!) Or I use getting up out of my chair as rehab exercises and leave the iron where it is!

I "lounge" really well. I have done a ton of knitting ( non-Swap) and even finished some UFO embroidery projects. Handwork is highly recommended if you need pain relief activities.

In any case, I am going into a more intense phase of working on Swap again. Coinciding with more intense physical therapy.  Will see if I can do both at the same time.

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2018, 02:25:30 PM »
I am attempting a major swap status update..but am running into technical problems. Household tech fairy will be around in a couple of days to bail me out. In the meantime...a few quick pix off my cell phone.

My swap  has gone into a somewhat "tropical jungle" direction,  due to coordinating print selection, which was not intentional at the beginning. I think this may because we have had nothing but snow, more snow, and yet more snow for months.

This shows the prints: Top vintage cotton from stash now destined for tunic. Middle new purchase, silk/cotton voile for dress, change of pattern from plan. Bottom, scraps of knit from stash that turned into lining for the simple jacket.

Prints swap 18. Top/tunic. Middle/dress. Bottom/jacket lining.

detail of my accessory, shawl/big scarf with the dress and tunic fabrics. Cotton yarn mostly from stash. Colors aren't very accurate here...not yellow, more pale turquoise.

Scarf. Swap 18 accessory option.

quickie hanger shot of scarf with jacket showing the lining fabric. Lining won't ordinarily be showing.

Jacket, showing lining with scarf. Still life with hanger and oven

more soon...

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2018, 04:34:32 PM »
progress report

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 10:01:15 AM »
Lack of progress report. I am officially bowing out of the official swap. We are about to go on (long planned) vacation and won't return til May...and I'm not yet done with sewing. In light of the "real life" obstacles that I've encountered I am not surprised by this or really disappointed. I think I'll have this done by early June, when it will be finally warm enough to wear this collection.

The still in progress category
visualrevised

further remarks on modifications:
I am giving up on the Eshrug. I was just never feeling the love between various fabrics and that pattern. I need a second layering piece, to meet swap rules ...as I have have a dress and need two "go with" garments. But this was just too much of a stretch...and every time I tried to get myself to cut into my fabrics to make up this simple quick layering piece...I hesitated. I finally realized the big problem is that I don't need it! I have two RTW purple cardigans that could go into the swap instead, quite easily! And that still meets the rules...so why am I working so hard here?

I found I really enjoyed working with linen...heeded the call and bought more fabric.

biggest obstacles to overcome: TIME! and LIFE! I knew time was a problem...my surgery made it even more complicated. But I am doing great, 3 months later, so no regrets. I got distracted in March by binging on free Craftsy...but got inspired to make a swimsuit, re-pad my dressform and do some Alabama Chanin handwork--all worthwhile projects for future sewing.  I also got side-tracked by a potential family health emergency around Easter...which luckily did not turn out to be serious, but you don't do much sewing done when big stuff like that gets priority. Life happens, just accept it and build it into the bigger picture. "When you make plans, God laughs."

biggest take away from Swap: SWAP is a destination, but allow yourself lots of leeway on how you get there. Some people set the GPS, get on the highway, stop only for gas and go the direct, fast route right to the planned end, Others will do the scenic route, happily take byways, detours, dead-ends, and turn around a few times. Put me down for the second option! However, I found it very useful to have a goal in mind. It really helped me "set a course" for the long haul.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 10:04:24 AM by bessiecrocker »