Author Topic: What a Galah - Treefrog's SWAP 2018 (please post comments in the main thread)  (Read 2852 times)

Offline treefrog

• SWAP Addict :-)
    • sew Treefrog
 The working title of my SWAP is "What a Galah".  I chose the name as my colour choices will be a dusky pink and grey, with white and black accents.

I think this watercolour by Denise Faulkner is very apt.  I'm going to have a bit of fun with the collection.

Potential fabrics - mostly cottons, some linen

Offline treefrog

• sew Treefrog
Option 1
This is based around a geometric print.  It has the paler shades of dusty pink and varying shades of grey.   My pink fabrics aren't close in value, but not exactly the same.  The lighter ones, in particular the fabric I have ear-marked for jeans, are found in the print, so they 'will work' for what I want.

This is my preferred print.

Supporting fabrics....  these I can use to make a collection just of tops and bottoms.  This is perfect for summer as I would rarely use a second layer until May or June next year.  I'm not sure if the colours are two light for me.  My plan is to make up the print before Christmas and see if it is work progressing.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 04:58:02 AM by treefrog »

Offline treefrog

• sew Treefrog
Option 2
This option is based around a bolder print, which is probably a bit more 'me'.  I've had this print for a while as I couldn't decide between making pants with it or a jacket.  The pants will get worn more, so I'm going to go with that.

This set would use the 'darker' of the pinks that I have as they match those in the print.  This group would probably work better if there are one or two jackets.

From a very rough plan three or four of the bottoms would be the same  pattern as for both options.  If I'm still sitting on the fences as to which print to pick, I can work on them while I decide.

Offline treefrog

• sew Treefrog
weaving sampler is done

I finished weaving my huck lace sampler and have settled on two treadings to use for a summer top.  The yarn is a mercerised cotton and I think I'll leave it white at the moment. It can be dyed later if needs be.  More photos of the different weaves in this post

Offline treefrog

• sew Treefrog
Print option # 1 made up

So this is the print from option 1 made up.  The layout was a pain but it worked out.

A doodle of how the wardrobe with Option 1 fabrics might look

For option 2, I'm still to make the pants - hopefully next week.  But this is how the wardrobe might look...

More thoughts and other wardrobe doodles in this blog post

Offline treefrog

• sew Treefrog
Print option # 2 made up

So this is the print from option 2 made up.   I've used a Knipmode pattern (reviewed here).  It has a lot of seam details which I've simplified because the pattern is busy enough.  In real life, the pinks in the print shows up a lot more.  I'm a little disappointed as to how these turned out - perhaps a little too 'out there'.  But I said that about the previous print and I love wearing it.

I'm still no closer in deciding which option to use.  The pink jeans are common to both wardrobes so I'll plan to work on those next.

As for the weaving, there aren't enough heddles to thread up the loom at the moment and I've ordered more from the US.  The huck laces have most of the threads on two of the four shafts and I'll need another 100 heddles added on to each.

Offline treefrog

• sew Treefrog
Pink Jeans & warping
The pink stretch canvas jeans are finished.  The photo staging is a bit dodgy but I'll get a better photo later on.

Meanwhile, work is progressing on the dressing the loom.  Hard to imagine that there are 700x4m threads in this warp chain

The reed has been sleyed. 

The sample warp was still threaded on the loom so I've been able to tie the new warp onto the middle bit.  Day 1 ends with 150 threads already through the heddles.

End of day 2, almost 1/2 way through threading the heddles.  I've run out of heddles on shaft 2 and need to put more on.  Just noticed that I've skipped a dent and will have to rethread about 50.  Oh well, better that I've picked it up now and not when it is all threaded.  I'll sort it out tomorrow.

Offline treefrog

• sew Treefrog
Warped ... twice :-(

I have the loom warped up.  To cut a long story short, I got all threaded and then had lots of thread breakages when I tried to wind the warp on.  Turns out, the second cone of thread I used was defective so I cut the warp off and started again.   >:(    I had DH help me to make a raddle and learnt to warp back-to-front.  Ergonomically it worked out a lot better and I actually threaded 700 heddles and half the reed in a day without any stiffness.  It was a bit frustrating starting again, but I'm glad I persisted as I've learnt heaps.  The long story, with pictures, is in this blog post

Now I'm starting to weave in the 'play' section of the warp.  Making sure I'm treadling the right pattern (18 pick repeat) and getting the right pull on the beater to get 22 weft picks per inch.  I'll need to be careful with the treadling as it is hard to see the pattern as it is forming on the loom with white threads.  It really only comes up after the cloth is washed and a wrong sequence will be very obvious.

-----

I've decided to go with option 1 for the SWAP as it is more summery and I'm enjoying  wearing the print top.  The other set I'll do during for winter.  The weaving is for the white top, second from the end, in the sketch.  I'm planning to make the grey linen pants during the week.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 01:51:10 AM by treefrog »

Offline treefrog

• sew Treefrog
Grey linen pants
 Yay, a finished object!

Offline treefrog

• sew Treefrog
Pink shirt and Grey jeans

OK, so I got my act together and did a bit of sewing.  I'm starting to worry that I may not finish in time.  I'm clinging to the thought that I have two knit tops in the mix that I could knock-off fairly quickly.

Here are items 4 & 5.  I've made a slight change of plan by using pink for the woven shirt and I plan to make the pink t-shirt in white. (more details in this post). 

The weaving is well under-way - about 2/3 of the way through - and is looking pretty good ( more pics in this post).  The pic below shows the changing of the patterns from the lattice to the lace.  There will be a lot more texture and lacy effect once the cloth is washed, but you can already see the threads starting to shift, especially in the huck (grid) weave.  My plan is to have the huck section above the bust and the lattice below.

I'm trying to resist the urge to add indigo as my fourth colour, rather than the black.  As an isolated capsule, the indigo would look so much better.  But I already have them in my wardrobe.  The black shorts and hiking pants were on my wishlist, which is the main reason I've tried to work them into the SWAP.  I really should stick to the plan.  Yay or nay ????

Offline treefrog

• sew Treefrog
I'm that far behind, I'm feeling like I'm about to be picked up sag wagon.  But I still plugging on.

Just finished the white linen jacket, but haven't got photos yet.  I'd planned to do an unlined version that would be cool and fairly quick to sew.  But, being white, the facings would have been really obvious.  So, along came a silk/cotton satin lining.  Figured if I was going to use silk, I'd better to the lining properly and handstitch it.  So shoulder pads and sleeve head were then needed.  Not as quick as I'd intended, but it has turned much better for it.

The weaving is progressing.  About 30cm to go.  Should have it off the loom in the next couple of days.  Then I'll be holding my breath when I wash it.

We have a four day weekend for Easter, so I'm hoping to make up some ground.  I plan to make up the two t-shirts and the grey hiking pants.  I'm yet to draft the pattern for the pants.  If I have the courage, I'll also cut into the weaving. 

More photos in this blog post
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 06:11:06 AM by treefrog »

Offline treefrog

• sew Treefrog
I spent last night drafting a pattern for the hiking pants.  They are a knock off of a pair of shorts from The North Face, but made up as pants.  Added in a crotch gusset, knee darts and a zip-offs just below the knee.  I think there were 18 or 19 separate pattern pieces. Fun,  I love jigsaw puzzles  :D

This is the design that I am copying.  Lots of angles
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 06:11:54 AM by treefrog »

Offline treefrog

• sew Treefrog
Made good progress over Easter.  The hiking pants are finished and I absolutely love them.  I think they will be my favourite piece of the SWAP.  Also completed was the pieced T-shirt (the pink one with the white ^ shape in the drawings) done in plain white, plus a stock-standard t-shirt in dusty pink (from the second wardrobe plan).

The weaving came off the loom on Monday and was washed.  The texture has really popped since it has been washed - very happy!  Thursday I plucked up the courage to cut it.  The top is almost finished with just the hem to finish.  I'll hand stitch the hem.  Huge sigh of relief that I've made it this far on this little project.

Yesterday, I worked on the graphic T.  It took a while to draw the graphic but has come up really well and keeps with the 'geometric' theme.  Finished it off this morning.

Now I'm onto the last piece - the black shorts, which I cut out last night.  Woo-hooo, it finish is in sight!!!

Offline treefrog

• sew Treefrog
A couple of photos of the Easter projects. 
blog post on the hiking pants
blog post on knit tops

I still need to get decent photos of the last couple of makes, but my swap is done!  Whew!

Top Row: Pink Shirt, White T, Print shirt, Black Shorts, White graphic T
2nd Row: White linen jacket (L), Grey linen pants (R)
3rd Row: Nude bra (my 'accessory' as I needed it for the white tops), pink T, grey jeans
Bottom Row: Pink pants, handwoven top, grey hiking pants, wild print pants
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 08:59:55 AM by treefrog »

Offline treefrog

• sew Treefrog
This is what 5,500m of yarn looks like  :))

I've just put up a post for the handwoven top.

I'm not the happy with the photos I took of me wearing the top.  Done in a hurry before a dust storm hit. :run4hills:  But at least the outfit looks like the way I'd envisaged it would.

Offline treefrog

• sew Treefrog
I've just put a post up about the graphic T and black shorts.  I'm hoping to post the photos for the outfits over the weekend.  They are doing work on our comms tower so we have no phone or internet services during daylight hours and its set to continue for a week.  It's a real hassle with work.  So my posts will be short, while I still have access.

Wishing everyone well as we head into the final weeks