Author Topic: Sew Ruthie Style 2018 (comments now ok)  (Read 12138 times)

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
Re: Sew Ruthie Style 2018 (comments on SWAP 2018 Chatter thread please)
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2018, 09:46:53 PM »
I need to work on trousers (pants) next.
I have a few patterns that are not far off but need a bit of work to be exactly what I want.
I have two pieces of dark brown fabric I want to use. I think one will have an elastic waist and be based on New Look 6216

And the other an invisible zip and be based on Burda Feb 2010 #135.

I really like having pockets, so will make the effort to do all the extra steps that will result in pockets.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2018, 09:51:11 PM »
Inspired by Lillie upcycling (and I think Demented Fairy as well). I went in the loft and rummaged in some of the most recent bags.
Sometimes I put things up in the loft when I can't make them work, they got too tight etc, but then I later harvest them for fabric, zips etc.
I have brought down a whole load of brown based things which need repairs or upcycling, and although they won't get enough treatment to qualify in SWAP it could get them back in useful cicrculation.

I think I'll start with a shirt which just needed a little repair to the hem as that will take about 10 minutes but give me a feeling of achievement.
Then maybe move onto the cardigan with droopy shoulders.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2018, 09:49:29 PM »
I dyed some beige fabric taupe. It's ok and could be my second neutral. I have enough coordinating pieces of taupe fabric for top trousers and cardigan.
I'm still thinking about trouser fitting. I want some more brown trousers that are a little smarter.
I'm also still thinking about colour palette for my SWAP.
If I leave out the Tweed jacket and skirt I could go for
Option 1  - dark brown, dark teal, ivory and turquoise/light teal
Option 2 - dark brown, taupe, teal, ivory
Or add the Tweed back in since the garments are already sewn.
Option 3 - dark brown, teal, burgundy
Option 4 - dark brown , teal, Burgundy , ivory.
Ummmm.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2018, 07:55:41 AM »
OK having got the clarification that the print just needs to work with at least two outfits and doesn't necessarily need to contain all the colours, I've decided I am going to simplify my colour scheme to make life easier for myself as I've been rather getting in knots about it.

Dark brown
Teal
Beige (from mid taupe to ivory)

Then the prints need to contain at least two of these colours which makes my life simpler as I have a teal and ivory tweed and several ivory and brown prints, I just need to make sure the outfits work sufficiently well.
The dark brown is definitely the first neutral, and whether its the beige or the teal that becomes the second neutral depends on how the various trousers turn out.
As I am heavy through the hips and thighs I tend to go for darker colours in my bottoms, so if the darker teal trousers are a success this could be the way to go.

For now I will continue to concentrate on
- trouser fitting
- sewing things in brown, teal and beige (and leave the burgundy out of things).

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2018, 10:15:38 PM »
I made these brown pinstripe trousers from New Look 6216, using some fabric from deep in the fabric resources.

I've used this pattern before in teal linen and they look completely different in a stretch suiting fabric.

I'm making a cardigan jacket from the same fabric to have a trouser suit that should look fairly smart, but actually be super comfortable!

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2018, 08:49:06 PM »

I made this jacket from the same stretch pinstripe suiting as the trousers, so now have a stretchy comfortable trouser suit.
(This could be a good way to make trouser suits for work.)

I used the cardigan pattern from my favoiurite pattern of all time, New Look 6735, shortened and without the belt.

I have interfaced the lower section of the front band, so could add buttonholes and buttons in future, I was undecided so left them off for now.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2018, 04:11:55 PM »
I've cut out some more trousers from New Look 6216 though I've done quite a few alterations this time, so have to see if I like the fit even more than before.
If so these will probably become my new TNT trousers and the plus is they are really easy to sew up. The pocket is one single piece and is super easy to sew. I have lots of suiting fabric trouser lengths in the fabric resources which could be great in this pattern.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2018, 07:17:37 AM »

I made lots of alterations to the back of the New Look 6216 trouser pattern and sewed it up in this stretch gaberdine from the fabric resources.
The fabric is quite stiff but maybe will soften with washing.
I don't think I've quite got the crotch curve correct, or maybe I need a bit more length at the back waist, anyway they are good enough but might get improved further.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2018, 07:22:00 AM »
I think this style with the full elastic waist works best in something lightweight and flowing.
The problem with back elastic it has a lot of fabric to gather between the butt and back waist and that's very bulky in a sturdier fabric.
So I think I want to play next with a pattern with more shaping at the back waist.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2018, 07:29:26 AM »
Well I'm still in SWAP mode, but I'm off work next week so this week at work is super busy plus I've had some events to go to.
We are hoping next week to replace the open shelving in the sewing room with proper cupboards from Ikea. But this involves a lot of moving stuff to get the space to put the new cupboards up. So I expect I shall have to stop sewing pretty soon to start the emptying work.

Then once the new cupboards are constructed I am going to curate the fabrics as they start to go back in, putting some aside for muslins/donation/give away. My previous experience with sorting the fabric resources is that it suddenly becomes very inspirational as I find things when sorting that want to get sewn up. So I am open to new things in April as I'm not quite sure what I'll come across that will speak to me loudly.

Choose two neutral colors
Add one accent color and two prints OR two accent colors and one print
Make at least three garments from each neutral color
Make at least one garment from each accent color
Make at least one garment from each print
Remaining two garments may be made from any one or combination of your neutrals, accent(s) and/or print(s)
Create multiple outfits of at least two garments that work for your personal style
Each garment must work with a minimum of two outfits

I've probably got things covered with my brown and teal pieces, so would just need to find my one accent color and two prints which I think is going to be ivory and sew a few items there. I'll try to put the SWAP possible items to one side as I sort through the fabrics. It is going to be fun.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2018, 07:32:16 AM »
OK trying to choose from the already made pieces.

Brown - all plain

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2018, 07:34:39 AM »
And now some teal

(bad photo its the same fabric as the skirt above)

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2018, 07:36:05 AM »
Now some prints including ivory

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2018, 08:02:09 AM »
OK so let's take those 3 brown items, 3 teal items and 2 print items and see what that looks like.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2018, 08:03:28 AM »
I need to have at least one ivory garment as this is my accent colour, I could in fact have just a single ivory item, and add another each from brown and teal. Let's add a brown skirt and a teal jacket - then I have a core 4 of each colour.

I think that works OK and they all meet the minimum of 2 outfits rule.

Or I could have more ivory items, or more brown or teal items not yet sewn.

However I could sew ONE ivory piece (a top or cardigan) and have a complete SWAP.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2018, 02:43:46 PM »
Whilst sorting through the fabric I came across a small remnant of ivory and brown leaf print fabric. I put it with the plain brown end of the tie dye brown fabric I used for a top to make a simple tee using New Look 6216 View C.  I cut the neckband from the print also.

I plan to wear it with dark brown bottoms and probably a coloured jacket or cardigan.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2018, 10:08:09 PM »
Another top, still with brown thread. I love this print so much.

It's from my homemade pattern again, more at
https://ruthieksews1.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/animal-print-type-tee.html

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2018, 05:59:56 AM »
I've decided that after a lot of garments (24 apparently) sewn up with dark brown thread I really fancied a change. So I'm going to thread all three machines (sewing machine, overlocker, coverhem) with a new thread colour which is going to be Ivory.

I then plan to sew at least some of these....
- an ivory tee - could be in SWAP
- an ivory and brown print floral knit top - could be in SWAP
- an ivory/pink/taupe leaf print linen woven tee
- an ivory/pink/taupe leaf print linen woven wrap blouse
- an ivory sweater knit cardigan - could be in SWAP
- an ivory/pink/taupe floral knit print top
- an ivory and taupe stripe knit top - could be in SWAP
- a turquoise leaf print knit top - could be in SWAP
- a blue and brown animal print knit top - could be in SWAP
- an olive leaf print knit top

I may have to stop before then to replenish the thread as its getting a little low.
I may also throw in a few home dec type things like cushion covers and shortening curtains.

I think 'Buy ivory thread' needs to go on my to do list somewhere.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 06:10:22 AM by Sew Ruthie Sews »

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2018, 06:36:12 PM »
I've used the simple tee from New Look 6216 again.

This is a very simple and basic top which should be really useful in my wardrobe.
I used a mystery ivory knit from the fabric resources. This isn't a proper white (which is too bright for me) but is my version, slightly softened and not too yellowy.

I seem to make at least one ivory tee every year, and by the next year I need to make it again.
They get worn and washed a lot and seem very prone to getting stained so I need to keep replacing them.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2018, 04:56:59 PM »
Have I made enough things to satisfy the rules?

Choose two neutral colors
I choose chocolate brown and teal
Add one accent color and two prints OR two accent colors and one print
I am adding an accent colour of ivory and two prints
Make at least three garments from each neutral color
I have made a lot of brown garments so should be OK there, and teal is not too bad either
Make at least one garment from each accent color
I only have one accent colour of ivory and have a single garment, an ivory tee, this is the minimum but does meet the rules
Make at least one garment from each print
I need to pick two of my print garments
Remaining two garments may be made from any one or combination of your neutrals, accent(s) and/or print(s)
probably more brown things then
Create multiple outfits of at least two garments that work for your personal style
Will need to give this a try but should be doable
Each garment must work with a minimum of two outfits

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2018, 08:43:12 PM »
Had a little play in powerpoint and this looks like it would meet the rules:-

I could add more ivory things and lose some teal or brown things.
I could add even more brown things.
I could switch in some different print things.
But I could just photograph these and I'd meet the rules.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 08:44:55 PM by Sew Ruthie Sews »

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2018, 06:31:08 PM »
Still thinking about how I could assemble the SWAP.
I looked at each colour and the prints, and tried to imagine a capsule where things played well together.

Here are the individual plain colours and the prints and what I am currently thinking. I've also indicated when something was sewn if it wasn't in the main timeframe.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2018, 06:31:58 PM »
Now onto the prints. I split these depending on how likely I thought they were to make it into the final plan.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2018, 06:32:51 PM »

Here's a set which could work, all the tops (except the plain brown) can work with all the bottoms, and the cardigans each work over multiple tops. I have decided that 'sheer' could be my trend (there's a list in the rules) and the brown burnout items have a bluish section which works with the teals quite well. It may need a little more tweaking....

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2018, 05:49:45 AM »
This is one of the few teal print items, it does go with all the bottoms but only with plain cardigans.

Maybe the most variety is obtained by print tops, plain bottoms and cardigans.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2018, 06:48:17 AM »
As I think we are only allowed 2 prints the plan above doesn't work. Also I like the old SWAP approach of maximum mix and matchability, so here goes.

OK I have 3 teal pieces, 3 brown pieces, 1 ivory item and two prints (3 garments). You might not want to wear the sheer cardigan over the lace tee but otherwise any combination seems to work, thoough I probably wouldn't wear all the teal pieces together!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 06:51:45 AM by Sew Ruthie Sews »

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2018, 09:33:38 PM »
I can't stop sewing, here is my latest piece an Ivory Broderie Anglaise Wrap Blouse from Butterick 4395.

I made View D with shorter sleeves due to fabric limitations. I had 2m of fabric, but only of a narrow 115cm width.
I cut a size 18. I cut both ties full length, I slightly angled the back to get a narrower back neck and wider hip. I added 1/2" to the front neckline to reduce gaping and its quite a modest wrap, probably helped by the fact that I don't have a large bust. The sleeves inserted beautifully with no puckering with just the usual ease stitching, so very pleased with how well drafted they are. There's an awful lot of narrow hemming on this and I was getting a bit bored with that by the end, but it does give a nice finish. I like how the wrap is on the striaght grain as this seems to help with it not gaping.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #97 on: April 22, 2018, 09:05:29 PM »
Got side tracked from sewing SWAP things today making 6 pockets from garden fabric for a pallet vertical garden idea of DBFs.
They worked quite well and I am pleased with them.

I'm going to make another six shallower pockets for the other pallet and then change the thread (and needle) and go back to sewing for me.

Its been nice here for the last few days so we've been out and about and doing garden jobs.
The weather is going to change back to cooler standard spring weather though, so I've been thinking about the ivory sweater knit cardigan, the fabric has been a 'maybe' for SWAPs for years as its a nice ivory sweater knit with a few darker flecks which make it very versatile. I never quite found a pattern for it that I loved, but my adapted New Look 7686 is fantastic as it has hem bands for all the hems (neck, sleeve and bottom) so this year it is finally getting made up. The sweater knit has no finished edges and ravels easily, but a stitched and serged band should be OK as a finish.

I have 5 lengths of fabric for knits tops which can be sewn with cream thread also, some of which work for SWAP others are down a slightly different colourway but will get lots of wear in my wardrobe. So those will be up next.

I may also make a wrap blouse or button front top from the leaf print fabric but am slightly undecided on that one.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2018, 06:24:54 AM »
Not managed much sewing this week for various reasons however I have cut out a top in this leaf print jersey

I am recapping on my pieces and the rules.
Plan:
Choose two neutral colors - Brown and teal
Add one accent color and two prints - Ivory
Make at least three garments from each neutral color - Brown 3, Teal 4
Make at least one garment from each accent color- Ivory 2
Make at least one garment from each print - leaf print, swirly print
Remaining two garments may be made from any one or combination of your neutrals, accent(s) and/or print(s) - I've used up my options already
Create multiple outfits of at least two garments that work for your personal style -
Each garment must work with a minimum of two outfits - lots of options to mix and match

Optional Accessory: add one self-made accessory as a signature piece that works with at least two of  your outfits
Not currently got one, but planning a teal scarf if I can find the teal fabric with silver in it.

Rules
Sewing begins on 26 December 2017 and ends 30 April 2018 - yup
One garment may be started on 1 November 2017 and completed prior to 26 December 2017 - the teal burnout top is from 19th November
One garment may be completed prior to 1 November 2017 -none currently
One RTW garment may be included -none currently
Garments knitted, crocheted or woven by you may be included (limit of two since we are a sewing site) - don't knit, crochet or weave
Garments such as poncho, cape or wrap must include at least two pattern pieces, be one of your knitted, crocheted or woven items or have stitch work done by you to be considered a garment (otherwise it’s an accessory) - nor relevant to me
Neutrals do not need to be the same fabric, however, they do need to work together  ** - I think they do.

Guidelines (not required but recommended)
Use TNT patterns as much as possible - mostly though the wrap blouse is a new pattern
Limit the number of patterns used since Designer Collections include the same garments made in different colors/prints - yes though I've sewn more just not included them
Consider using some textured neutrals to add more interest especially if you are a print person - a little
Consider including one trend item based on your chosen season - yes have managed this my trends are
Spring 2018 Trends
- sheer fabric (in multiple garments)
I've really embraced the sheer though in a very wearable way.

These are my 4 pieces which have sheer elements (I have more but it was hard to include them).
The brown cardigan is made form a knitted cotton lace, great as a light layer.
The ivory blouse is made from broderie anglaise (eyelet).
The teal top is made from a stretch velvet burnout fabric.
The final cardigan is made from a tie dye semi sheer fabric

Fall 2017/Winter 2018 Trends
- florals/garden prints (last knit top is leaf print)
- silver/metallic, sparkles/glitter (if I make the teal and silver scarf)

So although I've had to leave out a lot of pieces I really like how this has shaped up.
I need to
- Sew up the leaf print top
- Find the teal and silver fabric and make it into a scarf
- Take photos of everything

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2018, 06:54:10 AM »

leaf print tee sewn from my homemade pattern

It works really well with the teal items in the SWAP but also with some slightly greener things in my wardrobe as the leaves are several shades.
I bought the fabric in May 2017, so its been in the fabric collection for less than a year (just).

This is the last garment for SWAP so I can start planning outfits and photos now.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2018, 06:59:53 AM »

Here's what the SWAP plan looks like now, I just need to make the scarf, if I can find the fabric for it, and take photos!

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #101 on: April 29, 2018, 08:46:54 PM »
Here's my final piece, an optional accessory which is a scarf with a rolled hem, which should've been easy but actually wasn't!

If you are interested in reading why its on my blog
here
https://ruthieksews1.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/making-scarf-part-1.html
and here
https://ruthieksews1.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/making-scarf-part-2.html

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #102 on: April 30, 2018, 08:22:15 PM »
Here are my final pieces, just need to do proper photos

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2018, 08:54:01 PM »

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2018, 08:54:36 PM »