Author Topic: SWAP 2018 Official Rules  (Read 12052 times)

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
Re: SWAP 2018 Official Rules
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2018, 06:50:04 AM »
Print question - Have I understood correctly that if I choose 2 neutrals and 1 accent colour I am allowed only 2 print fabrics (though I can make more than one item from the fabic if I desire)?

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2018, 10:15:42 AM »
Yes, that's correct.

From the rules:
Choose two neutral colors
Add one accent color and two prints OR two accent colors and one print
Make at least three garments from each neutral color
Make at least one garment from each accent color
Make at least one garment from each print
Remaining two garments may be made from any one or combination of your neutrals, accent(s) and/or print(s)

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2018, 07:54:49 PM »
Right OK that does change things a little then as I have quite a few 'print' things. I'm guessing tie dye still counts as a print.

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2018, 02:41:06 AM »
Tie dye?  That's a designer choice. It may read solid to you or it may read print.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2018, 06:17:19 AM »

Is this brown or a print? I'd classed it as a print though it is only shades of brown

Offline dementedfairy

• The Demented Fairy blog
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2018, 06:17:32 PM »
I think my interpretation of 'print' and 'garment' are quite free-form as I've made so many items form several fabrics, including some prints that are very much of the appropriate colours.  Meh.  Never mind, I like wearing them!
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2018, 11:38:26 PM »
Ruthie, I would personally call that brown.  As someone who dyed and did surface design for quite a few years I considered my dyed fabrics to be solids as I would wear a print with them.  If I block printed or stamped my tied dyed fabric I might treat it like a print.  In fact tie dyes were the only way I wore solids (outside of jeans) for a period of time. 

But in the end you're the designer so you decide.  :bth_smiley-laugh-dog:

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2018, 06:07:02 AM »
This being the designer thing is quite a challenge! Thanks for the feedback, I am still sewing new pieces so who knows what the final selection will be.

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2018, 04:09:09 AM »
Ruthie - I would call it brown if you are needing more "solid colors" when balancing your SWAP, and a print if you do not... really it could go either way. Personally I would call it a solid, as I had been planning to use a subtle dark indigo tiedye as a solid in my SWAP, even though it also contained a bit of black and rust.

treefrog - I am very impressed with your handwoven top... though simple in style, the two different textures of the weaving make it very out of the ordinary, and also the sort of designer garment that appears to be incredibly versatile. Bravo!!
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn