Author Topic: Claire Shaeffer's Couture Tailoring Book  (Read 48966 times)

Offline Patti B

Re: Claire Shaeffer's New DVD
« Reply #245 on: November 24, 2010, 11:13:17 PM »
If anyone else is interested in the DVD, Barnes & Noble has it for $28.76 with free shipping AND, on Black Friday, RetailmeNot has a 30% off one item offer. Sounds like a pretty good deal! I'll be ordering it then.

Black Friday for the non-US folk is this Friday, the day after our Thanksgiving -- the kickoff to the gift shopping season.

Offline Elona

« Reply #246 on: November 25, 2010, 05:51:03 AM »
If you have a chance to buy cheaply from Barnes & Noble, I'd do it smartly right about now.  According to our Santa Barbara TV news, not only is the main Border's closing, but employees at the local Barnes store say it's going under as well.  I haven't found anything on the web supporting this, and the news station, KEYT, says they got no answer when they tried to confirm with B&N, but it couldn't hurt to buy the DVD if the price is right.

Offline LynnH

• Me at 10
« Reply #247 on: November 25, 2010, 08:39:54 PM »
Mu DVD is in the house.  But I'm disappointed to hear the potential of two book store companies closing.  I hope that it doesn't come to pass, because nothing beats walking in and touch the books to find the one you like.

Offline sewcindy

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
    • Sew Sew Suesa
« Reply #248 on: December 29, 2010, 11:31:27 PM »
OHH, just found this, how wonderful!  Looks like an after Christmas present to myself!
'If you always do what interests you, at least one person will be pleased.' Katherine Hepburn

Offline LynnH

• Me at 10
« Reply #249 on: December 30, 2010, 01:30:32 AM »
I'm glad this topic re-surfaced.  When my DVDs arrived I gave them to DH to hold for Christmas.  Looks like I need to find out where he hid it because he forgot to give it to me... ;D
Lynn

Offline Gingerpenny

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #250 on: August 13, 2011, 02:18:52 PM »
I got the set and to be honest, she lost me in the first five minutes when she claimed she used her pins only once and then threw them into the "used pin box."

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #251 on: August 13, 2011, 03:33:27 PM »
Gingerpenny, don't give up on this DVD because of that.  Claire may be a wee bit of a perfectionist, but I learned so much about hand stitching from this DVD.  It was excellent.
"This is emphatically not a quick project, just savour the process..."  Ann Rowley

My Blog
http://janssewingroom.wordpress.com

Offline LynnH

• Me at 10
« Reply #252 on: August 13, 2011, 09:39:16 PM »
I just recently watched my copy.  Claire's comment about the pins caused me to react and then I figured out her intent.  She keeps a box of pristine pins for when it critically matters and uses the other pins for when it doesn't.  Claire doesn't toss the once used pins, she just segregates them.
Lynn

Offline sewsy

« Reply #253 on: August 13, 2011, 10:35:38 PM »
Gingerpenny, don't give up on this DVD because of that.  Claire may be a wee bit of a perfectionist, but I learned so much about hand stitching from this DVD.  It was excellent.

I closed one eye and turned my head sideways when I'd heard that part, Gingerpenny. But like Janis, I learned a great deal from this DVD. I now know how to do some of the handstitches I was once scared of trying thanks to Claire. True, she may be a wee bit of a perfectionist (I like that about her btw, gives me something to aspire to ;))but it definitely shows. I think she's one FANTASTIC sewist AND teacher!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 11:07:24 PM by sewsy »

Offline vivienz

« Reply #254 on: November 07, 2011, 06:03:43 PM »
A little bump for this topic as I got my DVDs at the weekend and have watched most of the content now.  I'm relatively new to the world of sewing DVDs, but I really have enjoyed these ones.  Never having had much formal sewing tuition (and that ended more than 30 years ago!), these filled in so many gaps for me.  Oddly, one of the best things was that they gave me an enormous confidence boost to realise that my slow hand sewing of some areas and some garments is more than okay!  What a revelation!  I used to feel as though I was cheating by hand sewing and that I should be able to do everything by machine, so I'm offering a big 'thank you' to Claire for making me realise I don't have to do this.

More specifically, the techniques are great and I had more than one 'Ohhhhhh, so that's how you do that!' moment, most notably on the basting methods for keeping stripes or checks matched and some of the pressing techniques.  I was fascinated by Claire's careful trimming away of the seam allowances on tissue patterns - my mind was churning over that for a long time, especially as I've spend decades carefully drawing seam allowances around tissue patterns I've traced out of Burda magazine - never again!  That alone will save me lots of time.  Wonderful.

These DVDs probably aren't for everyone, especially if you're not interested in lots of hand sewing, since that what is much of it is about, but if you've spent years in search of that perfect finish, these are a great start or brush up for skills.

Vivien
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 06:06:03 PM by vivienz »

Offline sewsy

« Reply #255 on: October 16, 2012, 01:30:05 PM »
I was wondering if there is a new dvd in the making. AnnR, if you would be so kind, would you ask ClaireS if she is working on a new dvd? Thanks.

Offline AnnRowley

• Global Moderator
« Reply #256 on: October 16, 2012, 05:49:47 PM »
I was wondering if there is a new dvd in the making. AnnR, if you would be so kind, would you ask ClaireS if she is working on a new dvd? Thanks.

I do know that Claire is currently working on a new DVD - Chanel jacket construction. Not known yet when it will be released.

Offline sewsy

« Reply #257 on: October 16, 2012, 05:56:40 PM »

I do know that Claire is currently working on a new DVD - Chanel jacket construction. Not known yet when it will be released.

That's exciting news, Ann! Looking forward to it! Thanks.  :)

Offline sewnow1004

« Reply #258 on: October 16, 2012, 07:07:35 PM »
Pre-order ($15.14) through Amazon. Publication date Feb. 19, 2013.

This title has not yet been released:  Couture Sewing Tailoring Techniques [Paperback] ; Claire Shaeffer (Author) It appears it will include a DVD.

I've already ordered mine at the guaranteed pre-order price.

Linda

Offline sewsy

« Reply #259 on: October 16, 2012, 07:42:45 PM »
I pre ordered a copy. Thanks for the heads up, sewnow

« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 02:51:48 AM by sewsy »

Offline sewsy

« Reply #260 on: January 31, 2013, 01:03:54 PM »
I got an email from Taunton Press about Claire Shaeffer's new book and (90 minute...oh joy!!!  :confettitoss:  :run: ) dvd being available for sale on their website:

I followed sewnow 1004's lead, and pre ordered mine for fifteen dollars and change plus shipping in October. It still looks to be the same price, so far: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1600855040/ref=ox_ya_os_product

The book and dvd will arrive the third week of February, according to Amazon dot com.

I'm excited to get it!  :D

etc: name of link to image (image is clickable!) to get rid of scroll bar :)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 08:38:29 PM by Lisa »

Offline Robin

• a little sewing blog
« Reply #261 on: January 31, 2013, 09:12:57 PM »
I love the book cover! I cannot wait to get my copy!!

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #262 on: January 31, 2013, 11:35:07 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, Sewsy.  I pre-ordered from Amazon. :)
"This is emphatically not a quick project, just savour the process..."  Ann Rowley

My Blog

Offline Cocokat

« Reply #263 on: January 31, 2013, 11:57:00 PM »
I ordered it too a couple days ago.  Amazon kept telling me I wanted it  ;D
They know me all too well  :-\
Heather

Offline SheriC

« Reply #264 on: February 01, 2013, 01:16:41 AM »
How well you all enable others. I had managed to remain ignorant of this book's coming.  I too have pre-ordered.

Great price for a book and dvd.

Thanks, I think.

Offline sewsy

« Reply #265 on: February 08, 2013, 04:27:05 PM »
I got an email from Amazon dot com that the book will be shipped out sooner than originally stated. I should have it in my hot little hands by the middle of next week!!!!    :confettitoss: So exciting.  :D

Offline theresa in tucson

« Reply #266 on: February 08, 2013, 04:52:46 PM »
Mine came in the mail day before yesterday.  Nothing new that has not been covered in other tailoring books but gorgeous pictures and very detailed step by step.  The book is on the thin side and not too many techniques are covered (that seems to be a trend for Taunton books) but that said I will still keep the book.  To my mind, another follow on book is needed to cover the techniques left out.

Zalin

« Reply #267 on: February 08, 2013, 05:03:14 PM »
Thanks, Theresa. I was wondering if this would be different or updated from Claire's other Couture Techniques books. I guess I'll skip this one since I have the other. :)

Offline sewsy

« Reply #268 on: February 08, 2013, 05:36:24 PM »
Mine came in the mail day before yesterday.  Nothing new that has not been covered in other tailoring books but gorgeous pictures and very detailed step by step.  The book is on the thin side and not too many techniques are covered (that seems to be a trend for Taunton books) but that said I will still keep the book.  To my mind, another follow on book is needed to cover the techniques left out.

Thanks, Theresa. I am still looking forward to the book, glad to read that the techniques are very detailed, such as they are. I so enjoyed the last DVD she produced. :) Even if this one is on the thin side, I will still enjoy it, because it's Claire's.  :)

« Reply #269 on: February 08, 2013, 06:35:31 PM »
Zalin, she covers buttonholes, patch pockets, interfaced hems, the tailored sleeve, fly front zippers and characteristics of couture construction.  It's not a "how to" tailoring book like the Singer book, "Tailoring".  I don't have all of her books so I can't say whether she has covered these details before but to me it was worth keeping because of the DVD.

Zalin

« Reply #270 on: February 08, 2013, 06:57:59 PM »
Thanks, Theresa. I have several of her books. Two on pockets alone. So I'm thinking what makes this new one special is the DVD. Being able to see things being done is very helpful.

Offline Janis

• My Blog
« Reply #271 on: February 08, 2013, 09:31:02 PM »
I hope she gives more detail on buttonholes, especially hand-sewn.  She didn't cover that very well in the last book.  Also, I'd buy it just for the fly-front zipper.  And, I hope she spends some time on waistbands or waist treatments.  I love some of the couture "almost nothing" waistbands.  Hope springs eternal :D

My Blog

« Reply #272 on: February 09, 2013, 12:25:02 AM »
Janis, the hand stitched buttonhole is covered and in detail.  No waistband treatments whatsoever unless you count the picture of the YSL trouser waistband showing the fly front zip.

Offline sewsy

« Reply #273 on: February 11, 2013, 03:22:46 AM »
My copy of the book has shipped, and along with my new Reliable V100 iron, it'll be like sewing Christmas in February!  :) :confettitoss:

Offline sewsy

« Reply #274 on: February 12, 2013, 10:51:59 PM »
I got my copy today, I think that it's wonderful. I'm so glad to have more instruction by Claire Shaeffer! Ok, so there's "nothing new". I think the book and video are very well done. I am so excited to be able to partake of her knowledge of these techniques. For me, it's not so much that the information is the same. It's the way she presents it, I'm happy that we all can be instructed by someone that has such a lot of knowledge of sewing technique; much like our beloved Ann Rowley.

Thank you Mrs. Shaeffer, for taking the time to document the sewing knowledge that you've amassed all these years.  :)

Correction. There is new (to me) information. The technique of converting darts to ease is something I've never done before. Watching the dvd, she is very exacting in the execution of her technique. That's what I love about her teaching style! As our AnnR exhibits in her tutorials, Claire Shaeffer is meticulous in her sewing, and it shines through in the end results.

I'm lovin' this book and DVD. :) I love that I can see her hands at work. I love the look of her hands, her experienced hands, using needle and thread. I am so thrilled that she and Taunton Press have done this. It's like having a master class in my home! It's great.

If anyone is thinking of making her Vogue 8804, and is more of a visual learner, then the dvd that accompanies the book might be worth looking into. Not all the techniques for sewing the jacket are covered, but there is enough information in the book, dvd, guidesheet and the past five or six issues of Vogue Patterns magazine to get you through.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 01:44:20 PM by sewsy »

Offline sewsy

« Reply #275 on: February 13, 2013, 05:53:46 AM »
I hope she gives more detail on buttonholes, especially hand-sewn.  She didn't cover that very well in the last book.  Also, I'd buy it just for the fly-front zipper.  And, I hope she spends some time on waistbands or waist treatments.  I love some of the couture "almost nothing" waistbands.  Hope springs eternal :D

Janis, in the current issue of Threads magazine, beginning on page 44, there is an article by Susan Khalje, BUILD A BETTER WAISTBAND, described as:"Couture techniques for improving waistline stability and comfort." You may find this helpful. Waistbands aren't covered in the Claire Shaeffer Couture Sewing book.

Offline Susan in Saint John

Claire Shaeffer's Couture Tailoring Book
« Reply #276 on: February 28, 2013, 11:43:57 PM »
I bought this book [had to import if from the UK] and I am finding it very informative. (Note: this comment is about the Vintage Couture Tailoring book from this topic.)

My copy of Claire Shaeffer's "Couture Tailoring" http://www.amazon.com/Couture-Sewing-Techniques-Claire-Shaeffer/dp/1600855040/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1362094658&sr=1-1&keywords=couture+tailoring arrived today.  I have to say that I am disappointed.  I read it from cover to cover in about 30 minutes.  I have not looked at the DVD.  It includes only selected techniques -- not how to approach a whole garment.  The techniques covered are well illustrated and then in the appendix there is further information as well.  It's not an expensive book but in comparison to her "Couture Sewing" book and her earlier books, there is really not a lot in it.

If you really want to know about Couture Tailoring, the "Vintage Couture Tailoring Book" is a lot more comprehensive.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 12:18:11 AM by fzxdoc »

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
    • fzxdoc's sewing project photos
Re: Clare Shaffer's Couture Taloring Book
« Reply #277 on: March 01, 2013, 12:12:59 AM »
Susan, I split your post off from the topic from the Vintage Couture Tailoring Book topic so we could post our comments about the new Claire Shaffer book on Couture Sewing: Tailoring Techniques.

Truth be told, I got my copy from Amazon the other day but have yet to review it.

Hopefully others will chime in as well as to their perspective about the book/DVD set.

Kathryn
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 12:14:49 AM by fzxdoc »

Zalin

Re: Claire Shaeffer's Couture Tailoring Book
« Reply #278 on: March 01, 2013, 03:14:40 AM »
Is this the same book and dvd we were talking about here:
http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php/topic,10642.msg320708.html#msg320708

Or is there another book out?

Offline tania-gru

« Reply #279 on: March 01, 2013, 11:37:26 AM »
"The Dressmaker's Handbook of couture sewing techniques" by Lynda Maynard have a wonderful way of doing waistbands. It is on page 86 to 90. It is a wonderful book in itself.

Tania
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 11:39:09 AM by tania-gru »

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics