Author Topic: How to make a sweat headband.  (Read 3652 times)

Offline Padme

How to make a sweat headband.
« on: June 19, 2010, 09:58:21 PM »
Has anyone ever made a sweat headband, like a tennis headband, and how did you go about making it up?  Thank you.

Offline Pipsy

• Ulysses July 2 2011
Re: How to make a sweat headband.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 09:38:17 AM »
I made one that didn't turn out so well but I do use it.  The problem was finding absorbent fabric that would go around my head comfortably. For the one I made I found I had some wrist sweatbands.  Why I do not know as I don't think I have noticed that my wrists sweat  ::).  Heads are an entirely different situation.  I didn't have a lot of fabric so only had terry cloth on the inside of the band - ie. single layer.   I dismantled the wrist bands, cut and pieced the terry then sewed it into a tube with a piece of cotton fashion fabric with the fashion fabric slightly smaller.  I can't recall exactly how I fit it but the terry rippled and so did the cotton fabric. I have many complements on it but am finding that it is losing some elasticity after several years of use and washing. I initially thought of using elastic in the band but I wanted something soft and felt the elastic may be too tight.

I would dearly love to find some soft firm but elastic terry cloth for head bands.  I like to glue or sew absorbent bands into sun hats I have.   I am anxious to hear others responses.
If I stitch fast enough does it count as an aerobic exercise?
My soul is fed by my needle and thread.

Offline Padme

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 11:52:53 AM »
My husband was working on the new hot water heater in our garage and said this out loud to me that he really needed/wanted one.

I've got some chenille fleece that I've got out.  I'm working on some winter long t shirts for him, and thought maybe I could use that.  It's something like a terry fleecy feel to it.  I can cut a thin piece, measure his head and sew it closed.  I'd like to neaten up the edges, but am afraid I would lose some elasticity.  He's still got to work with the copper pipes today, a valve was gone also, and the heat index is going to be around 105, so I might give this fleece idea a try.

We've thrown all of our old tennis headbands away.  Do they make them anymore?  I thought I could just google it, but nothing is turning up.  Thank you for your thoughts and experience on the project.

Offline BeeBee

• A Million Litte Threads
    • Pastiche
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 01:31:42 PM »
My husband usually just ties a bandana around his head for this.  Do  you have any frozen peas?  If you do, wrap them in a towel and tie it around his neck to help keep him cooler.

Offline Padme

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 06:14:08 PM »
Yes, I've got the bandana and the frozen peas.  He might just want to try ice cubes in the bandana.  He's gotten a little shaggy on top.  He might look a little hippy.  I just need to keep him out of sight from Ms. Blonde hair.

Offline BeeBee

• A Million Litte Threads
    • Pastiche
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 09:14:16 PM »
Or take him down for a new tattoo?

Offline tumblina

• Knits and Wovens
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 11:37:41 PM »
As for the neatening the edges question, often headbands are made into a tube - cut the rectangle twice as wide as you want + seam allowances, sew the long edges together using a stretch stitch, turn the tube right side out, then sew the ends together.

Hope the hot water heater got fixed without any heat stroke!

Offline Padme

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 01:24:54 AM »
He's just drinking water with no head gear.  No tattoo, he's a loafer and cuff's kind of guy. 

My middle child was helping and he cut the copper pipe too short and it can't reach the hot water heater.  I was suprised he would make that kind of error, but with the middle child helping, I can see that.  The boy is a chatty carl.  I did get a swim suit made up for the pool.  It was quiet in the house. 

I'm going to have to wash my hair in the sink with a tea kettle tomorrow.  I don't mind conditioning naturally, but 2 days will be my limit.  My husband is looking a little frazzeled, so I'll drag some of the children in and let him have some quiet time with the hot water heater.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics