Author Topic: How to make a sweat headband.  (Read 5228 times)

Offline Padme

How to make a sweat headband.
« on: June 19, 2010, 09:58:21 PM »
Has anyone ever made a sweat headband, like a tennis headband, and how did you go about making it up?  Thank you.

Offline Pipsy

• Another grandson two days old and no name
Re: How to make a sweat headband.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 09:38:17 AM »
I made one that didn't turn out so well but I do use it.  The problem was finding absorbent fabric that would go around my head comfortably. For the one I made I found I had some wrist sweatbands.  Why I do not know as I don't think I have noticed that my wrists sweat  ::).  Heads are an entirely different situation.  I didn't have a lot of fabric so only had terry cloth on the inside of the band - ie. single layer.   I dismantled the wrist bands, cut and pieced the terry then sewed it into a tube with a piece of cotton fashion fabric with the fashion fabric slightly smaller.  I can't recall exactly how I fit it but the terry rippled and so did the cotton fabric. I have many complements on it but am finding that it is losing some elasticity after several years of use and washing. I initially thought of using elastic in the band but I wanted something soft and felt the elastic may be too tight.

I would dearly love to find some soft firm but elastic terry cloth for head bands.  I like to glue or sew absorbent bands into sun hats I have.   I am anxious to hear others responses.
If I stitch fast enough does it count as an aerobic exercise?

My soul is fed by my needle and thread.

Offline Padme

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 11:52:53 AM »
My husband was working on the new hot water heater in our garage and said this out loud to me that he really needed/wanted one.

I've got some chenille fleece that I've got out.  I'm working on some winter long t shirts for him, and thought maybe I could use that.  It's something like a terry fleecy feel to it.  I can cut a thin piece, measure his head and sew it closed.  I'd like to neaten up the edges, but am afraid I would lose some elasticity.  He's still got to work with the copper pipes today, a valve was gone also, and the heat index is going to be around 105, so I might give this fleece idea a try.

We've thrown all of our old tennis headbands away.  Do they make them anymore?  I thought I could just google it, but nothing is turning up.  Thank you for your thoughts and experience on the project.

Offline BeeBee

• A Million Litte Threads
    • Pastiche
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 01:31:42 PM »
My husband usually just ties a bandana around his head for this.  Do  you have any frozen peas?  If you do, wrap them in a towel and tie it around his neck to help keep him cooler.

Offline Padme

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 06:14:08 PM »
Yes, I've got the bandana and the frozen peas.  He might just want to try ice cubes in the bandana.  He's gotten a little shaggy on top.  He might look a little hippy.  I just need to keep him out of sight from Ms. Blonde hair.

Offline BeeBee

• A Million Litte Threads
    • Pastiche
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 09:14:16 PM »
Or take him down for a new tattoo?

Offline tumblina

• Knits and Wovens
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 11:37:41 PM »
As for the neatening the edges question, often headbands are made into a tube - cut the rectangle twice as wide as you want + seam allowances, sew the long edges together using a stretch stitch, turn the tube right side out, then sew the ends together.

Hope the hot water heater got fixed without any heat stroke!

Offline Padme

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 01:24:54 AM »
He's just drinking water with no head gear.  No tattoo, he's a loafer and cuff's kind of guy. 

My middle child was helping and he cut the copper pipe too short and it can't reach the hot water heater.  I was suprised he would make that kind of error, but with the middle child helping, I can see that.  The boy is a chatty carl.  I did get a swim suit made up for the pool.  It was quiet in the house. 

I'm going to have to wash my hair in the sink with a tea kettle tomorrow.  I don't mind conditioning naturally, but 2 days will be my limit.  My husband is looking a little frazzeled, so I'll drag some of the children in and let him have some quiet time with the hot water heater.

Gorgeous Fabrics Fabric Mart Fabrics Cutting Line Designs Patterns
Advertise on SG! It's Easy! Style Arc Sewing Patterns Advertise on SG! It's Easy!