Author Topic: 2018 SWAP Chatter  (Read 69842 times)

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
Re: 2018 SWAP Chatter
« Reply #700 on: January 08, 2018, 07:57:35 AM »
Welcome LillieT, Lovely of you to join in after lurking for a while. You are very welcome.

I always wear the heck out of my ivory/cream/taupe pieces, so maybe should put some back into this yer's SWAP.
I had some in my SWAP in 2016 and the skirt is still going but the top and cardigan have not survived!

Offline Medea

• You'll find my Wardrobe Diary at
« Reply #701 on: January 08, 2018, 10:10:30 AM »
Ruthie you are so productive!  I like the look of your latest skirt with the pieces creating a bias skirt.  Is the top of the skirt cut on the straight of grain? - it does sound like a really clever use of fabric in that pattern.

It's an old pattern now (2003) and long out of print, though a few are available secondhand and a clever person (ie not me) could convert a standard bias skirt pattern into something similar.

This skirt is really beautiful Ruthie! I saw there are some patterns on ebay but maybe I make a similar myself.
I also love your coat. What's the pattern for that??
I'm at Instagram @ medeasgarderob (Medea's Wardrobe)

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #702 on: January 08, 2018, 12:12:36 PM »
I have been a lurker for a long time, have seen many SWAPs and 6 packs, but have not shared. Something Garden Girl said in the thread re: the future of SG made me stop and think that maybe I should be sharing instead of just observing if I expect there to be a future for SG.

Lillie: I also thought that a clever comment. Glad it made you participate! I plan to read and write more often in non-SWAP related topics also...

And I do think that using the print only for sleeves and collar is nevertheless a way to use print. YOU are the designer..! Obviously a clever designer, who plans for garments that are easy to combine with others.
Eva

Offline crazyquilter

« Reply #703 on: January 08, 2018, 02:47:47 PM »
Lillie, I really enjoyed reading your SWAP thread and look forward to seeing the photos.  I thought it was clever the way you presented your designer and client.  And I love seeing refashioned garments.

Ruthie, I like the teal top and skirt combo, especially how you have them styled.  I don't think it's too much teal at all.  Of course, I'm not certain that there is such a thing as too much teal.    I also like the pieced bias skirt pattern.  I'm going to have to check, but I think that it's pretty similar to a brown Clifford & Wills linen skirt that has seen heavy use year round in my wardrobe for eleven years.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #704 on: January 08, 2018, 03:25:41 PM »
I also love your coat. What's the pattern for that??
The coat was the pattern inlcuded for subscribers to the UK women's magazine Prima in Feb 2015. (You may be able to find this on ebay but it is not available as a download etc)

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #705 on: January 08, 2018, 06:45:38 PM »
Hello fellow SWAPpers

I would like your opinion on the colour blocking on my teal coat, to avoid overloading the thread I have started a new one just for that and will share what I decide once anyone who has an opinion has voiced it!

The thread is here
http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php?topic=1321.msg32384#msg32384

Thank you for your time. Regards Ruthie

Offline LillieT

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #706 on: January 08, 2018, 07:15:11 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments, they were encouraging.

Gardengirl - I have been recycling clothes no one wanted into garments no one else has for several years. I live in NE Oregon and there are few fabric stores. Wal-Mart (45 miles) and Joannes (130 miles).  Even after you get there it's hard to find quality fabrics unless you quilt. I discovered I could pick up clothes at the thrift stores made from really nice fabric for just a few bucks. Lis limiting as to what you can make based on the size, but forces me to be more creative. As to painting? About anything from walls to furniture to the crates, shelves, etc. that I make from recycled wood. Almost always have a project going.

Morzel - Lillie and her client had to rethink the planned tee shirt, Lillie realized that she needed to include at least one more top that would cover her client's backside in the two skinny pants that are in the collection. So, the print will be used as one of the fabrics in Katherine Tilton's pieced tunic. (Don't have the pattern number available)

Ruthie - I have long been a fan of yours (as a lurker) your use of knit inspires me.

Crazyquilter - as stated above, refashioning garments has been a part of my sewing for some time, although, oddly enough, I am not a quilter.

I am out of town today, will get pictures tomorrow.  Again, thank you for your encouagement.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #707 on: January 08, 2018, 09:56:26 PM »
LillieT, glad I was able to be of some assistance, I love sewing knits so much, but ocassionally I make myself do something in a woven!
I have a high 'relaxed' quotient in my personality style and really like comfort in my clothes, knits often give me that.

Mary ( m lambie) so sorry to hear you are unwell. I've heard a few people have been down with the flu and its causing big issues in the hospitals here in the UK. I pay every year to have the flu shot at the pharmacy and so far am doing OK, though I know its not 100% even if you've had the shot.

I hope any other SWAPpers who have been unwell are healing, recovering, improving etc and that you will soon be ready to sew along with us.

Offline Diane in WV

« Reply #708 on: January 08, 2018, 10:28:41 PM »

Morzel - Lillie and her client had to rethink the planned tee shirt, Lillie realized that she needed to include at least one more top that would cover her client's backside in the two skinny pants that are in the collection. So, the print will be used as one of the fabrics in Katherine Tilton's pieced tunic. (Don't have the pattern number available)

LillieT, I am a bit confused. Are you Lillie, or do you have a designer that is Lillie?
Let's talk about math

Offline dementedfairy

• The Demented Fairy blog
« Reply #709 on: January 08, 2018, 10:39:52 PM »
Diane- she is both!
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

Offline Diane in WV

« Reply #710 on: January 09, 2018, 05:04:42 AM »
Diane- she is both!
That's what I thought, not used to talking in the third person. DS does it here, but not in public.
Let's talk about math

Offline Sizun

• Subscribed Member
  • East of France / semi continental
    • My blog
« Reply #711 on: January 09, 2018, 05:16:22 AM »
LillieT, your plan sounds so exciting ! I have visions all the cool pieced stuff I've pinned on Pinterest and never actually sewn. I suck at recycling, unfortunately. I'm really looking forward to seeing your wardrobe.

One Dress A Month Sew Along

Offline fzxdoc

• Administrator
  • I love to sew, pure and simple.
« Reply #712 on: January 09, 2018, 02:04:16 PM »
We've spilled over onto 21 pages, so continue your 2018 SWAP Chatter discussion here:

http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php?topic=1327.0

See you there!

Kathryn
SG Admin Team
My blog: I Made This! at http://imadethis-asewingblog.blogspot.com/
Flickr Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72428033@N00/albums

2018 Dress a Month count: