Author Topic: 2018 SWAP Chatter  (Read 69627 times)

Offline Sizun

• Subscribed Member
  • East of France / semi continental
    • My blog
Re: 2018 SWAP Chatter
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2017, 08:01:07 AM »
Thank you for volunteering Mudcat ! Unfortunately I won't be able to sew before the beginning of November, but I've just inspected the fabrics I have and I have identified gaps there. Not surprisingly, I don't have much suitable for bottoms. We have a fabric fair here on the 4th of November so I know what I have to purchase 8)
I will try to get out of my taupe/olive/brown/burgundy route. Hint : I have just completed a dark green coat  ;D

One Dress A Month Sew Along

Offline fourkid

« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2017, 10:47:46 AM »
I am the Saint.  ;D

I will be posting the rules as soon as DL has the SWAP 2018 forum section setup which she will do towards the end of the month.

I volunteered because I never finish SWAPs and had decided not to participate but I'm quite pleased with the rules so I'll probably follow along.  I've been tweaking the rules over the last few days and may (or may not) continue to tweak them as additional comments are made.  I've tried to be thorough and cover all potential questions.  The rules will provide quite a bit of flexibility but still have some constraints to ensure it is within the spirit of the whole point of doing SWAP.

As typical, the rules will include a previously sewn item (completed prior to the posting of the rules), one item between the posting of the rules and 26 December and one purchased item.  Hint: consider completing a basic item over the next couple of days in a neutral color that you think you'll be using in the SWAP for your previously sewn item.

A Saint, indeed.  :-* It is almost the end of the month - so I am excited to see those rules. Like you, I always get excited, plan my SWAP, and then sew up a few garments and fizzle. One of these years I will get it done!  :o  I have my already sewed piece. I made a lovely jumper several years! ago, but it needs alterations to the fit before it can be worn. I just never got that done because I have to work with a lining and it just seemed too much to do. But I really like the wonderful cashmere fabric and the style of it - so that is the plan. Get it done!!! (Someone hold my hand and say it will be all ok  :-[ )

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2017, 11:08:50 AM »
fourkid. It will all be okay!  Really.  Participating in SWAP can be a great way to grow skills.  I think Ruthie's (and others') tips above are excellent for not getting frustrated and keeping the entire process enjoyable.

I always love the comradery of everyone as well as the tips and techniques shared.

Offline fourkid

« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2017, 02:36:17 PM »
fourkid. It will all be okay!  Really.  Participating in SWAP can be a great way to grow skills.  I think Ruthie's (and others') tips above are excellent for not getting frustrated and keeping the entire process enjoyable.

I always love the comradery of everyone as well as the tips and techniques shared.

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Lyn-J

• O/T Politics
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2017, 05:05:25 PM »
Thank you Mudcat!

;D(I'm guessing I'm not going to be far out if I start planning 4 bottoms, 5 tops and 2 layers) ;D

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2017, 05:08:19 PM »
Thank you mudcat for being our "SWAP Saint of 2018"!  I am eager to see what you choose to focus on for our upcoming SWAP rules...

fourkid - this is the best place to be to work on improving skills and getting help with fitting - the combined knowledge and kindness of our SG members is extraordinary. I have learned so much from spending time here and asking questions, and I am sure that you will find assistance. I have made use of the "critiques" board, which is a good spot to ask about solving problems with particular garments.
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline Debbie S

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2017, 05:13:08 PM »
Gosh, I have never done a SWAP.......although I always follow with great interest and learn something new!  I just recently finished my Autumn 6PAC and have loved wearing all the pieces. There is a lot to be said for TNT Patterns

Now,  to decide if I have the time to commit to a full SWAP or just stick to 6PAC sewing. ????

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2017, 05:30:46 PM »
Debbie, two 6 packs = one SWAP ... more or less

If you use the two pre-made items + one RTW you have four months to do 8 garments.  It's doable if you keep things simple.

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
  • Winner's Points: 1
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2017, 05:44:14 PM »
big thank you to Mudcat.

Asking for general clairification, not specific rule.

Are you (usually) allowed to cut out BEFORE the swap officially begins?

I am asking because I have a back log of projects that have gotten to the starting stage...but not sewn. I might be able to clear out some UFOs and put things together with some newer items to form a swap. Kill lots of birds with minimum amout of stones.  A SWAP would be big big incentive to get the UFOs finally out and done with!

Information would be just to generally know the traditional/normal official policy on pre-Swap activities.  Also, this is just for my (pre-pre-) planning stage so not at all binding information or policy making.

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2017, 06:26:19 PM »
I couldn't remember though I thought it was allowed. I took a look at couple of prior year SWAPs to confirm.  From the official rules of SWAP 2016: Muslins, pattern fitting, cutting, interfacing, and other preparatory work may begin right away

So yes ... once the rules have been posted you can prep as you want. Just no sewing/basting/stitching!

Offline Debbie S

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2017, 09:01:00 PM »
Mudcat said:
“Debbie, two 6 packs = one SWAP ... more or less

If you use the two pre-made items + one RTW you have four months to do 8 garments.  It's doable if you keep things simple.”

Mudcat, hmmmmm, now that you put it that way..........I’m in????????!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 09:07:01 PM by Debbie S »

Online Lisanne

• Subscribed Member
  • southern England
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2017, 09:37:21 PM »
From the official rules of SWAP 2016: Muslins, pattern fitting, cutting, interfacing, and other preparatory work may begin right away

So yes ... once the rules have been posted you can prep as you want. Just no sewing/basting/stitching!

That's an excellent permission, as preparatory work often takes me as long as the sewing phase.

So we should really make our plans fairly quickly after the rules appear, and then work on a bevy of toile fitting and garment cutting out for the couple of months until SWAP sewing is allowed.

Thought of that way, SWAP time is not 4 months but 6  ;D

P.S. that is a very useful realisation.  I can’t do SWAP this year anyway as I have another big sewing project until mid January, but it certainly makes things look more possible for future years. . .
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 09:53:00 PM by Lisanne »
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2017, 12:06:10 AM »
Fourkid, I have learned so much about sewing by participating in SWAP. My skills have really grown over the course of the 4 I have completed. Or was it 5? Anyway, just jump on in, the water is fine. :)
Wendy

Offline Towanda

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2017, 04:40:54 AM »
Hint: consider completing a basic item over the next couple of days in a neutral color that you think you'll be using in the SWAP for your previously sewn item.

Except for a couple of things, the sewing room fix up is done in time to get ready for SWAP. I've run out of storage space so the SWAP fabrics will come from the stash. I've collected a bunch of black ponte knit and have been thinking about making a series of black dresses for work. It would be great to pull out one of those dresses to use as a basic item.

Offline Medea

• You'll find my Wardrobe Diary at
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2017, 07:04:15 AM »

Hint: consider completing a basic item over the next couple of days in a neutral color that you think you'll be using in the SWAP for your previously sewn item.

the SWAP fabrics will come from the stash.

I will also follow Mudcat's hint and finish a basic item this weekend. Or actually two items and then I can see which one suits the rules best. I'll finish a dark blue pencil skirt and a dark green sweater.
Just as Towanda I really need to use my fabric stash for this SWAP. I bought nearly six meters of lovely black gabardine last week and I want to sew a capsule wardrobe in black. I'll start with a little black dress, probably as my item sewn between rules come out and before SWAP starts.
I'm at Instagram @ medeasgarderob (Medea's Wardrobe)

Online Lisanne

• Subscribed Member
  • southern England
« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2017, 01:33:06 PM »
Anyone who is worrying about all this - remember that most people who start SWAP don't finish, and are still delighted with what they achieved and what they learned.
Last year, admittedly there were many distractions which were nothing to do with SWAP, but less than 15% of the people who posted an individual thread about their SWAP plans actually entered in the end.  And we were still all pleased with the event.

https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Offline KayoticSewing

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2017, 01:58:30 PM »
After reading some of the comments above, I'm wondering .....

Other than a wardrobe of clothes that go with each other, what other things do you get out of SWAP sewing (or even a 6PAC) with other sewists on the forum, during certain period?

[No sarcasm, just genuinely curious]

Offline Sizun

• Subscribed Member
  • East of France / semi continental
    • My blog
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2017, 02:42:45 PM »
I get friendly interaction with other sewists all over the world, people who are interested in what I do and talk about. And I get a sense of achievement. Setting goals and meeting them is a great feeling !
I like creating a collection like one I could find in a store, although this is part of getting a wardrobe of clothes that go with each other.

One Dress A Month Sew Along

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2017, 02:43:53 PM »
Kayotic,

I love SWAP! I look forward to it every year since I've started participating. Here is what I have gotten out of it: (other than clothes)
  • Cameraderie with other sewists
  • practice with certain techniques: each year I have challenged myself to learn something new
  • A new awareness of how my clothes interact, rather than just sewing something because I like it
  • I've learned how to plan, and adapt when that plan went awry, in short, I've learned to put aside my tendency for perfectionism.

Every year when I am done I think, well, maybe I won't participate next time. So far, I keep signing up. :)
Wendy

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2017, 04:07:06 PM »
Anyone who is worrying about all this - remember that most people who start SWAP don't finish, and are still delighted with what they achieved and what they learned.

Exactly.  And one can continue to work on their plan long after SWAP ends. 

KayoticSewing, in the past the SWAP helped me to renew my enthusiasm for sewing.  In reality it's not the sewing that's the problem.  It's the fitting which was not so much of a problem until I gained weight.  I have posted several times that I love fabric, patterns and planning but don't enjoy the process of sewing as much now as I did many years ago.  I am currently in a period where I'm sewing more or less regularly albeit non-garment items so I don't have the need of a jump start. 

As far as SWAP, it helps me to think more about using neutrals/solids that give me more flexiblity with my wardrobe. If it weren't for the fact that my wardrobe is 50% black I wouldn't have anything to wear. But I have prints that don't work with black and they never get worn.

I think most of us that participate in the online sewing world are here because we don't know (m)any local people who sew and talking fabric or patterns to others causes eyes to glaze over.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 04:18:49 PM by mudcat (SWAP Coordinator) »

Offline M lambie

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2017, 06:34:16 PM »
Ooh, I'm so excited!! ;D Thanks, mudcat, for volunteering to be our new coordinator!  :-*

I can't wait to see the rules, I'm on the edge of my seat.

I guess I'm one of those annoying people who always ask questions about the rules... :-[ However, I honestly don't always find them straightforward reading, especially with chunks of text copy/pasted from previous years.

Well, maybe this will be the year I finish a SWAP. :)

Can't wait to see everyone's plans start to pop up once we have our new forum!

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
  • Fall down eight times. Get up nine times.
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2017, 09:18:24 PM »
Aside: Mary, That's a fabulous-looking dress.

I said I wouldn't participate this year as my SWAP last year kind of crumbled and then I was away for a long period in the spring/summer. I had the idea that I would do a small capsule collection this fall/winter, of maybe 4-6 pieces, but... It's always so tempting to do SWAP. The two years I did it were so good for my sewing, and I think I'm in a better place to make a collection I'd really like this year (without setting myself up with too much complexity, as I did last year). Hmm....Then maybe I am just yearning to make things given that I'm moving in a week's time and everything is in boxes. I literally get a sad face when I walk into the room with all of my creative stuff in cardboard at the moment. :(

Thanks for volunteering, mudcat. I look forward to seeing the rules, reading the discussion and absorbing others' excitement! I'll be following others' progress, even if I don't participate.

Offline Diane in WV

« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2017, 01:23:41 AM »
stephaniecan, if you click on the  flickr under Mary's name, you'll see all her clothes are really great.
Let's talk about math

Offline KayoticSewing

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2017, 02:18:32 AM »
Thanks for your thoughtful replies, Sizun, Wendy and mudcat!

I can now see that it’s much more than a wardrobe builder as I had originally assumed. And I now think I might want to  give it a try myself and it’s ok even if I don’t finish it.

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2017, 01:49:55 PM »
Go for it, KayoticSewing...

I may be the current holder of the longest time to complete a SWAP record ( 2 years), but I found having the thread to post progress and compare notes with other sewers really really helpful and motivating.  As Warpjr1965 mentions, it can provide different ways to think about projects in ways unrelated to wardrobe planning.  For example, I am easily overwhelmed by too many possibilities and can end up dithering so much that I can't sit down and start a project.  Having a little plan with some forethought (6-Pac or SWAP) just really focuses me... (I, obviously, don't worry too much about the timeframe????)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 03:33:40 AM by CCL »

Offline stephaniecan

• Subscribed Member
  • Fall down eight times. Get up nine times.
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2017, 02:08:42 PM »
Hi Diane. Thanks! I do recall that Mary has a great way with a wardrobe.

Fun to see people lining up to participate!

Offline Grasshopper

• Subscribed Member
    • Vintage Country Life
« Reply #96 on: October 30, 2017, 01:04:18 PM »
I am anxiously awaiting the SWAP rules for this year!  Last year is the first year I attempted to participate but several factors kept me from finishing.  However, this year I really am motivated!  On the one hand, I desperately need new clothes and on the other, I've recently had a new color analysis that puts me on the warm, light, bright side of the color spectrum and I have very few pieces of clothing in these colors.  I really do love these colors, however.  I am already looking through my stash to see what fabrics will work.  I love the idea of a capsule wardrobe but I have a hard time putting them together so that they contain pieces I would actually wear.  I also love wearing color and prints more than neutrals, so the core of 4 wardrobe plans always seem too bland for me.  I keep thinking there must be a way to make a colorful capsule wardrobe work!
Lyneisa
Striving to live a full, meaningful country life and carry forward the talents and skills of my ancestors.

Online Lisanne

• Subscribed Member
  • southern England
« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2017, 02:07:24 PM »
Grasshopper - as we said earlier, a ‘neutral’ can be anything you would be willing to wear pants in, so while for me it’s definitely grey, tan and white, for someone else the 3 colours might be shocking pink, neon green and purple  ;D   

In Nancy Nix-Rice's wardrobe scheme that would be
4 garments in shocking pink
4 garments in neon green
2 garments in purple
2 in prints which combine all 3 colours.

You probably want to add more prints.
Have you done a search for people who combine prints in unusual ways ?  I don’t collect these so don’t have many links, but I do like Sonya Philip :
http://100actsofsewing.com/blog?page=3
A few of the garments here combine prints :
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/sewingplums/fabric-combinations/

Looking at some of Sonya Philip's outfits, at first glance they may look extraordinary, then look more carefully and all the prints have something in common : black and white / similar shapes / similar type of line / related warm or cool colours. . .
If you have access to a quilt shop, another good thing to do is to look at how fabric designers combine different prints into collections.
Or look at the collections in a good on-line store
https://www.cottonpatch.co.uk/acatalog/Quilting-Fabric.html

Why not a SWAP in a collection of neon green and purple prints. . .
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 02:34:00 PM by Lisanne »

Offline KayoticSewing

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2017, 02:44:46 PM »
Go for it, KayoticSewing...

Alright, consider me signed up.   ;)

I’m quite easily distracted when it is a subject that overwhelms me. So I hoping this shared sense of purpose keeps me accountable, focussed and helps me learn new skills while I work on a simple wardrobe..

Online Lisanne

• Subscribed Member
  • southern England
« Reply #99 on: October 30, 2017, 03:42:01 PM »
I’m quite easily distracted when it is a subject that overwhelms me.

Yes, it is very easy to be overwhelmed by everything in sewing - so many possible sewing skills, so many possible ways of doing each, so many possible garments, so many fabrics, so many possible styles, so many garment combinations, how to fit. . .

That's why so many of the 'old hands' keep emphasising a simple wardrobe planning scheme, a small range of colours, and garments that are easy to make.

Do all your exotic sewing and tailoring in the rest of the year  ;D
Make a fancy wardrobe next year, after you've learned all the basic tricks this year. . .

P.S.  Hey, this is an appropriate comment for me to become a 'hero member' of SG (500 posts)  ;D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 03:45:48 PM by Lisanne »

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2017, 04:00:51 PM »
wow 500 posts that's an awful lot! I see I'm on 400 so only need another hundred and I'm there hahahahahaha.

I also had a colour analysis and I am muted, relatively deep and the slightly cooler side of the warm/cool divide.
I wonder if I could manage a whole wardrobe in burgundy, navy and teal.
I would probably revisit a variation of my SWAP 2016 which didn't really get made (I made a top which I donated), with a few variations.

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
  • Winner's Points: 1
« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2017, 04:19:50 PM »
I also love wearing color and prints more than neutrals, so the core of 4 wardrobe plans always seem too bland for me.  I keep thinking there must be a way to make a colorful capsule wardrobe work!

I love Lisanne's suggestions. All you need to pull off color and prints and unusual combos in trust in your own style and courage to express yourself. This is from the link Lisanne posted...I love this look and admire anyone who can pull it off.

If you need other examples: look at the clothing of Freida Kahlo

Look at runway shows by Celine, Alexander McQueen, others.

I'm inspired! (although I usually wear pretty boring clothes and colors.) Here is my Swap core 4 combo (from Lisanne's cottonpatch link). Add a few bright solids as your "blending" pieces.

Offline Grasshopper

• Subscribed Member
    • Vintage Country Life
« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2017, 04:47:06 PM »
bessiecrocker and Lisanne,

Thank you for the ideas and links.  I do like some "patchwork" pieces combining different prints sometimes.  And also, sometimes just combining different textures in the same color makes something more intriguing to me, such as the brown skirt I recently thrifted in velvet and wool.  I am not sure if I am ready for full-blown extreme pattern-mixing, but I am interested in exploring the area more.  When I mentioned not caring so much for neutrals compared to colors and prints, I was referring more to outfit combinations containing all neutrals or especially monochromatic outfits.  Thinking outside the box on what constitutes a neutral is a helpful exercise, though.  I also think my new warm palette is going to help me a lot in this area because I do love camel and brown.  Right now, my preliminary thoughts on a SWAP color palette contain brown, camel, ivory, coral, and warm turquoise.  If I can find prints that combine those colors, I would be set, but finding prints in the colors I want is often the biggest challenge for me.  I do love looking through quilting fabric collections, too! I'm off to explore the cottonpatch link!
Lyneisa
Striving to live a full, meaningful country life and carry forward the talents and skills of my ancestors.

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
« Reply #103 on: October 30, 2017, 05:58:50 PM »
Our Saint SWAP coordinator wrote a while back...
...will be posting the rules as soon as DL has the SWAP 2018 forum section setup which she will do towards the end of the month.

Since we now have a separate section for 2018, can the rules be far behind? Hopefully within a week or so... I am very eager to see what the guidelines for 2018 will be, and have been drawing up imaginary sample plans of various possibilities, poking around in my old wardrobe planning notebooks and spending time moving piles of fabric around in my stash, trying to come up with different color options... I know that I should be working on pattern muslins instead, but playing with my fabric is so much fun
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 06:01:19 PM by indigotiger »
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2017, 07:20:37 PM »
Hopefully not too soon I have a top I want to finish first.....  ;)