Author Topic: 2018 SWAP Chatter  (Read 69625 times)

Offline dementedfairy

• The Demented Fairy blog
Re: 2018 SWAP Chatter
« Reply #665 on: January 03, 2018, 08:44:27 PM »
oooh!  That is very cool!
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #666 on: January 03, 2018, 10:39:51 PM »
ooh Turquoise that shawl/poncho is gorgeous. I really like the zipper detail and I can see why my red top reminded you of this fabric.

For info here's the red top I made out of a sweater knit remnant

Its got a similar circle detail in the knit, and might even be a different colourway?

I have to say Turquoise's take is a whole lot more elegant!

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
    • Nebula Classical Academy
« Reply #667 on: January 04, 2018, 12:31:20 AM »
Turquoise, very cool top!

@auntnina, hoping all goes well with your move, and everything. That is a lot to be dealing with all at once.
Wendy

Offline Debbie S

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #668 on: January 04, 2018, 01:05:25 AM »
Turquoise, what a wonderful shawl!  Please share some of the parrern details!

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #669 on: January 04, 2018, 02:38:43 AM »
I also love your cape/poncho/shawl.  The zipper is a nice touch.

Offline auntnina

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #670 on: January 04, 2018, 02:51:57 AM »
Thank you, everyone, for your kind words. Times like this remind me why I like this forum so much. There are so many kind, welcoming people here.

Turquoise, your poncho is beautiful. Well done!
"People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed. Never throw out anyone." Audrey Hepburn

Offline KarenDee

• Subscribed Member
  • SIgnal Mountain, Tn.
« Reply #671 on: January 04, 2018, 04:30:24 AM »
auntnina, certainly will be wishing you well as you  do all the items involved in changing homes and states. So many upsets; so little time to complete everything. We are all here wishing you well.

TUrquoise, your sweater wrap is just lovely and I particularly like the zipper detail. Enjoy!

Karendee

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #672 on: January 04, 2018, 07:52:28 AM »
Turquoise, what a wonderful shawl!  Please share some of the parrern details!

Hi Debbie S , I had seen this video by Peggy Sagers of Silhouette Patterns and so when I wanted to make a version of the wrap that I saw in MintVelvet I used Peggy's instructions as the base. 

I wanted mine shorter than Peggy's example and with a slightly wider neckline to make the cowl, plus I wanted the two-ended zip to mirror the look of the MintVelvet one, so mine was cut from a piece 2yds by 21".  I bought a 21" zip, leaving 15" open each side for the neck.  Hopefully with the video and my scrappy drawing below it will make sense  :)

The fabric had a lovely selvedge, so I cut along the selvedge for the long side and cut off and serged some of the remaining selvedge and stitched onto the other open edge. 

« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 07:55:11 AM by Turquoise »

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #673 on: January 04, 2018, 10:51:32 AM »
Turquoise- I'm very tempted to have a go, even though I'm not sure I need one to wear, it just looks fun!

Debbie S:  thanks for the blog praise,  I love it when I can give people a giggle!
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #674 on: January 04, 2018, 04:57:10 PM »
Thank you for the lovely comments everyone - it's good to make a start on some sewing  :) . Ruthie I am sure this is the same fabric as yours in a different colourway, I've also seen a nice warm tan/camel variation somewhere, I think FabricLand.

auntnina Good luck with everything - as others have said you certainly have a lot on your plate right now, take care.

Offline Judith

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #675 on: January 04, 2018, 06:39:21 PM »
Turquoise- I'm very tempted to have a go, even though I'm not sure I need one to wear, it just looks fun!

Debbie S:  thanks for the blog praise,  I love it when I can give people a giggle!

Just took a look at your topic. I love the red skirted outfit in one of your pics. I’m glad you decided to add more red cause it’s a good colour on you
People are generally as happy as they allow themselves to be. Abraham Lincoln

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #676 on: January 04, 2018, 09:00:15 PM »
Thanks!  That red-skirt dress is a favourite.  I'm hoping that the mix of items in the SWAP will let me mix more red in, I find it cheers me up when work gets me down [seems to work on my colleagues and students too!]

All cut out now, and ready to crack on with the sewing, just in time to go back to the grindstone.  Poop.

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #677 on: January 05, 2018, 02:43:19 AM »
Swaps are looking good ladies!

I have sewn zippo for myself, still have some things to finish up with DH's fleece, and the dog really needs a warmer coat as it is hovering around 0 Fahrenheit around here.

Also I hate cutting out fabric for some reason so I am stalling. I think it is my perfectionism.
Wendy

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #678 on: January 05, 2018, 03:43:47 AM »
Susan I love that red tunic!  It looks plenty cosy to me, but I know some of you guys get REAL weather.

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #679 on: January 05, 2018, 01:56:52 PM »
Elephun, regarding pants fitting: try to pin out a deeper back crotch seam, just from and below where your green 'smiles' arrows point to. This pulls in the inner pantleg. You would probably have to let out the side seam at  the same level, as taking in the inner seam removes pants width. But just for trying out do test pinning. (It IS a challenge to put on pants with pins along the crotch seam... ) maybe it helps, if not, no harm done...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 01:58:33 PM by Morzel »
Eva

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #680 on: January 05, 2018, 02:01:18 PM »
Auntnina, I feel for you regarding your fathers death. Sigh.
Eva

Offline Debbie S

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #681 on: January 05, 2018, 02:11:40 PM »
auntnina, so sorry to hear of you dad’s death.  You certainly have a full plate, take care of yourself!

Offline Debbie S

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #682 on: January 05, 2018, 02:20:32 PM »
Bessiecrocker, I am thrilled to see you are now able to participate in SWAP!!!  I never considered a machine with a start/stop button but would have loved that option when I was recovering from foot surgery. Hope you have good internet connections at the rehab, as I really enjoy your posts!

Offline angelsweb

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #683 on: January 05, 2018, 04:26:23 PM »
Elephun, regarding pants fitting: try to pin out a deeper back crotch seam ... (It IS a challenge to put on pants with pins along the crotch seam... ) maybe it helps, if not, no harm done...

A friend recently attended a fitting workshop where the instructor recommended using safety pins to test pin crotch seams and inseams. What a genius!

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #684 on: January 05, 2018, 06:27:10 PM »
Elephun, regarding pants fitting: try to pin out a deeper back crotch seam, just from and below where your green 'smiles' arrows point to. This pulls in the inner pantleg. You would probably have to let out the side seam at  the same level, as taking in the inner seam removes pants width. But just for trying out do test pinning. (It IS a challenge to put on pants with pins along the crotch seam... ) maybe it helps, if not, no harm done...
For every problem there must be a dozen solutions....
My solution to even worse wrinkles in that area was to add length to the crotch extensions.  It meant I had to redraw both crotch and inseam curves BUT it was welll worth the effort. Extending the crotch length worked even on some wrinkles scooping did not fix.

As mozel says “maybe this helps, if not, no harm done”
sdBev
sdBev.wordpress.com

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #685 on: January 05, 2018, 08:00:51 PM »
Indigotiger, great to see your pinafore :-) and hope you get some joy from creating simple blouses.
I am enjoying a looser fit at the moment and wondered about some blouses or tops based on a simple kimono bathrobe style, though I've not tried sewing anything yet, its only at the thinking stage at the moment.

Skirt is next.... if I can get off the computer and get working on it! Somehow the pieces don't seem to tesselate correctly on the fabric, but I'm sure I've used similar yardage length in the past.

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #686 on: January 05, 2018, 09:41:48 PM »
All set to sew tomorrow- and a piece of loose weave linen/cotton fabric just arrived from China [Jyna if you're Trump of course]
I have no recollection of ordering it, so that's nice.  Giving it a wash, and then it may join the swap for some more trousers...or something.  I'll be finishing my raincoat tomorrow, then cracking on.

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #687 on: January 06, 2018, 01:34:28 AM »
I am enjoying a looser fit at the moment and wondered about some blouses or tops based on a simple kimono bathrobe style, ....
I always have a problem fitting the kimono sleeve under my 3rd layers (jackets, cardigans etc).  Unless it is a sleeveless style, I prefer to use kimono styles for 3rd layers or stand alone.  Sleeveless kimono styles are great for my summer living; as always YMMV and you should do what works for your lifestyle.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 01:36:33 AM by sdBev »
sdBev
sdBev.wordpress.com

Offline Diane in WV

« Reply #688 on: January 06, 2018, 01:41:11 AM »
I am enjoying a looser fit at the moment and wondered about some blouses or tops based on a simple kimono bathrobe style, ....
I always have a problem fitting the kimono sleeve under my 3rd layers (jackets, cardigans etc).  Unless it is a sleeveless style, I prefer to use kimono styles for 3rd layers or stand alone.  Sleeveless kimono styles are great for my summer living; as always YMMV and you should do what works for your lifestyle.
YMMV...your mileage may vary?
Let's talk about math

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #689 on: January 06, 2018, 02:05:38 AM »
YMMV...your mileage may vary?
Exactly! Meant to indicate that another’s experiences and preferences are equally good as the writer’s
sdBev
sdBev.wordpress.com

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
Re: 2018 SWAP Chatter, Elphun’s SWAP
« Reply #690 on: January 06, 2018, 02:36:45 AM »
I definately agree with your sentiment of not sewing something just to have a garment for SWAP.  I think that defeats the whole purpose of SWAP which was to create a wearable wardrobe. I am not sure if you are or are not  competing, but I would think you lose personally if sewing a garment only  to fill the SWAP requirement.
sdBev
sdBev.wordpress.com

Offline ciaraxyerra

• New (or Just Quiet) Member :)
« Reply #691 on: January 06, 2018, 05:40:24 AM »
Hi! I'm new! I joined just because of this SWAP thing. I checked out the rules, & then I sat down & made a list of colors & prints. I did a little brainstorming about what I wanted to make from those colors & prints by the end of April & it all kust kind of magically came together. All of my ideas combine into outfits I would actually wear, & almost everything is stuff I was planning to sew anyway. So I'm really looking forward to this! My neutrals will be gray & black, my accent will be pink, & I'm using two prints: a pink & white striped seersucker, & a really bold floral print that is dark pink on light pink. ...Yes, I really like pink. I actually consider it a neutral in my wardrobe, but for the sake of this challenge, I went with the more traditional neutrals.

Offline Elephun

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #692 on: January 06, 2018, 07:11:53 AM »
That's just how I feel, Bev. I'm not competing; I'm just adding some nice pieces to my wardrobe that I hope I'll like to wear.

I have time to take a little break and still get a new pattern worked out for those last two tops if I want to, and work out the fitting changes for the pants. That's all I have left to complete for SWAP- 2 tops and 1 pair pants.

I'm doing that Fair Fit skirt class at the moment. I think that will take my creative attention for a bit. Once that class is finished, I think I might be re-energized for fitting SWAP patterns again.

Morzel and angelsweb - thanks for the pants fitting tips!

Ruthie - I always love to see what you are sewing.

Dementedfairy - Refashioning your older pieces for this SWAP is intriguing. I am looking forward to seeing what you make. Your SWAP last year was just delightful! 

Bessiecrocker - I'm so glad you'll be able to sew while you're recovering. That will make the time pass more quickly, I'm sure.

Ciaraxyerra - Welcome to SG and SWAP!

Auntnina - Be kind to yourself. You have so much going on.

Sue - I like your red tunic!

Turquoise - beautiful shawl!

Indigotiger - I'm happy you have another idea for blouses/tops that will work for you. I know it can be so hard to find something that works for us.

Boppingbeth - I like your two black tops, and your Eileen Fisher inspired SWAP
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 07:16:52 AM by Elephun »

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #693 on: January 06, 2018, 08:07:22 AM »
ciaraxyerra - welcome enjoy SG and the SWAP :-)

You joining has prompted me to go back and re-read the rules see if I've missed anything.

Elephun, although the rules say
Use TNT patterns as much as possible
Limit the number of patterns used since Designer Collections include the same garments made in different colors/prints

if fabric doesn't want to be sewn from a pattern or you don't want to that item, then there is leeway to use a different style.

sdBev, yes I think I am most likely to make something as a loose PJ top rather than daywear if I go down the Kimono sleeve route. It is easy if you have heavier arms though as no laterations are required and they still fit YAY.

Dementedfairy I didn't see the end of SWAP last year. There had been a lot of problems with the board being down so I had just stopped checking for the SWAP photos and had gone off to other endeavours (vacations/charity sewing/work), at some point I'll go and look at the collections from last year and see what I missed.

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #694 on: January 06, 2018, 11:58:20 AM »
Ruthie you didn't miss anything, I didn't finish last year's WifeSWAP, and left it after just the coat [make of the year as it happened lol] and a couple of shirts.  The missus was happy enough though!
Adding in the 'only use from stash or remake' rule has helped me to do some clearing, and has made me feel very virtuous.  After some thought, the purple/red dress makeover has been sidelined:  I found a scrap of the original purple fabric and compared it to the dress, much worn and well-washed. 
Hmmm.  A bit too far gone after all!
Well, I will make cat cushions from the dresses instead.

Offline warpjr1965

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #695 on: January 06, 2018, 02:17:23 PM »
Ciaraxyerra welcome! I also consider pink as a neutral, although I don't wear it much in the winter. It's more my summer color.

Sounds like you have a good SWAP plan going.
Wendy

Offline Susan

• Sewstyled
« Reply #696 on: January 06, 2018, 11:25:57 PM »
Auntnina, my sympathy on your dad's death and make sure to take care of yourself. My dad died last year and oh how I know the grief knocks you over sideways!

Elephun, I like your Athina top. I printed that pattern and was interested to read that it includes the SAs!

Indigotiger, I like your black pinafore.

No sewing for me this weekend. I'm on call this weekend and as I expected with the things happening at my workplace it's been an awful weekend so far, including having to call in for a teleconference about a crisis at the main site that has little to do with my site because the impact is so far downstream and then do some follow up  .  ::)
Hope I have an uninterrupted night of sleep.
I managed to do a bit of knitting this afternoon but had to rip open again when I didn't pick up on mistakes several rows back.

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #697 on: January 07, 2018, 12:54:38 PM »
Ruthie you are so productive!  I like the look of your latest skirt with the pieces creating a bias skirt.  Is the top of the skirt cut on the straight of grain? - it does sound like a really clever use of fabric in that pattern.

Offline Garden Girl

• Subscribed Member
  • Middle California
« Reply #698 on: January 08, 2018, 05:28:56 AM »
LillieT, welcome to Stitcher's Guild!

You just made my day!!! I am honored & thrilled that my comments elsewhere encouraged you to come out of lurkdom & share. Bravo!

Your plan sounds quite nice. I like the sound of all the refashioning you have planned, especially the mulit-gore sweater skirt. Looking forward to the photos.

I like brown a lot also. Like you, cream is just not going to survive long term for me. I think your designer took that into account and thinks you can just avoid the studio when you have wet paint, otherwise you'll just need to replace those items more often.

What type of painting do you do?  ;D

Your new pal,

Rene

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #699 on: January 08, 2018, 07:52:28 AM »
Ruthie you are so productive!  I like the look of your latest skirt with the pieces creating a bias skirt.  Is the top of the skirt cut on the straight of grain? - it does sound like a really clever use of fabric in that pattern.

The internal seams joining the panels are all on the straight grain (and are pressed to one side and topstitched), so the side seams, waist and hem are all somewhat on the bias.
I lengthened the stitch a little when hemming as I found this helps reduce rippling on a curved/bias hem.
It's an old pattern now (2003) and long out of print, though a few are available secondhand and a clever person (ie not me) could convert a standard bias skirt pattern into something similar.
I dare say its not in style particuarly, but its a long slim column with enough bias to drape nicely. I have several already and wear them a lot in the sumer (with silk culotte slip underneath to avoid chafing).