Author Topic: 2018 SWAP Chatter  (Read 69641 times)

Offline bessiecrocker

• Subscribed Member
  • Winner's Points: 1
Re: 2018 SWAP Chatter
« Reply #630 on: December 30, 2017, 01:48:03 PM »
...  Nature does not always use color in traditional ways, so why should you have to?...
Oh I didnt mean to pigeon hole anyone, just confess to my own weaknesses and limtations.  I certainly hope you dont limit yourselves. I learn and even get better by seeing how you do things.

Bev, I wasn't picking on you...just general encouragement to be brave and bold with color. I think color is a lot  like music. It comes easy and naturally for some people, some people learn it by rote and manage to enjoy it and read the notes they have been taught, some people are born tone/color deaf and never figure it out for themselves.

teal combo ideas...used with brown...brick, burgundy, eggplant. greens. peach. raspberry. hot pinks...

Offline CCL

• Subscribed Member
    • My Flickr Photo Stream
« Reply #631 on: December 30, 2017, 03:09:25 PM »
/snip/
 I think color is a lot  like music. It comes easy and naturally for some people, some people learn it by rote and manage to enjoy it and read the notes they have been taught, some people are born tone/color deaf and never figure it out for themselves.

teal combo ideas...used with brown...brick, burgundy, eggplant. greens. peach. raspberry. hot pinks...

So true, BessieCrocker.  Also, our individual neurology and physiology play a part.  I am not where I can post links easily, but the most common examples being color blindness and instances of, what is called by some, tetrachromacy - an extra cone type in the anatomy of the eye.

BH has a much better color sense than I do.  I have learned to listen to him and go for it -- especially when he suggests pairings that my brain insists are horribly clashing.  Most of the time when my brain quits resisting and readjusts, his suggestions are wonderful. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 03:16:45 PM by CCL »

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #632 on: December 30, 2017, 03:18:40 PM »
..... It comes easy and naturally for some people, some people learn it by rote and manage to enjoy it and read the notes they have been taught, some people are born tone/color deaf and never figure it out for themselves. ..
I fall into the later category or there abouts.  I have to work hard at color.  Even took 2 semesters of college level Water Colors. ~Which did give me sme valuable informations~ I recognize good color combinations and memorize them for later use.  I even have a Pinterest board titled ColorStories and another called “Artful Combinations”. I am much better with line and shape than with color.
sdBev
sdBev.wordpress.com

Offline Morzel

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #633 on: December 30, 2017, 09:15:02 PM »
Bev, your new Avatar looks great!
Eva

Offline KayoticSewing

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #634 on: December 30, 2017, 10:20:28 PM »
Bev, your new Avatar looks great!

I think so too!  :)

Offline sdBev

• Subscribed Member
    • sdBev
« Reply #635 on: December 30, 2017, 11:45:42 PM »
Thank you, thank you. No matter the camera, even the cell phone used here,   DH has an EYE!

‘Course it helps that I had sewn a new top that I loved and he gave me those beautiful Ethiopian Fire Opals I am wearing.
sdBev
sdBev.wordpress.com

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #636 on: December 31, 2017, 11:24:54 AM »
Ploughing on sewing things, though as always concerned that the length of the SWAP timeframe makes it difficult seasonwise in a 4 season location.
I shall probably oversew simple pieces and then pick the ones I like the most at the end.

This was my original plan

« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 11:27:54 AM by Sew Ruthie Sews »

Offline Magimum

• Subscribed Member
    • I blog at Poor Mother
« Reply #637 on: December 31, 2017, 12:20:13 PM »
I like your teal top and cardigan a lot, Ruthie. Teal is featuring in quite a few SWAPs this time. I like it with your brown too.
Lisa
My flickr feed https://flic.kr/ps/28QUmm

My blog: poormother.co.uk
and flowerdogdesigns.co.uk - where my machine embroidery will live, eventually.

Offline dementedfairy

• The Demented Fairy blog
« Reply #638 on: December 31, 2017, 12:28:01 PM »
I'm loving all the different colour palettes here- and the didcussion about colour.  The most interesting to me has been the wide range of 'neutrals'.  I'm still tweaking my ideas and fabric combos, and enjoying the freedom to creatively interpret the rules- how to define a print is my biggest decision!  I'll be doing plenty of fabric piecing though, still trying not to buy anything [much] for this SWAP.  MUST finish my raincoat today so I can start SWAPping.
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #639 on: December 31, 2017, 02:12:05 PM »
Ruthie I love your teal top and cardigan.  That’s such a clever idea making a cardigan from a throw - I can see I’m going to looking at throws with fresh eyes now.  I really like the brown/teal lace type fabric on your blog, that will really tie together your brown and teal makes  :)

I’m still hoping to get a plan together.  It’s horrible weather here now with torrential rain and gusty too - perfect time to go have another sort through my stash and patterns.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #640 on: December 31, 2017, 11:24:47 PM »
Teal is a great colour for a lot of people as it's a blue green so neither obviously warm or cool. You might want a brighter or more muted version of it depending on the brightness or mutedness of your personal colouring but it will suit a large proportion of people.

I'm back in love with it at the moment and wanting to sew lots of pieces.
I'm hoping my rate of production will help the fact that I've gone a bit off piste at the moment from my SWAP plan.

Offline dagmaro

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #641 on: December 31, 2017, 11:30:51 PM »
Ruthie, that cardigan is brilliant and I can't believe you were clever enough to use a throw to make it. Using the ribbing gives it such a RTW look at the hems which is the one area I struggle with on cardigans or knit tops.  Good for you in seeing the potential of the throw!
Dagmar

Offline Lisanne

• Subscribed Member
  • southern England
« Reply #642 on: January 01, 2018, 12:56:03 PM »
KayoticSewing - sounds like you've got very good value out of your SWAP participation so far !
I do the same thing - making a SWAPlan really clarifies my thinking about what I want.  But actually sewing to a plan does not work for me.  Sewing is a hobby and I need to go where the spirit moves. . .
Does this bring you joy, calm, confidence  :D  if not, try something else.

https://sewingplums.com - comments on wardrobes, patterns, style, fit
https://uk.pinterest.com/sewingplums/ - style images
https://aimforquality.wordpress.com - good basic sewing techniques
https://easyjackets.wordpress.com - no need for tailoring, unless you want to
https://helpwithsewingpatterninstructions.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/first-blog-post/ - Peggy Sagers sew-alongs

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #643 on: January 01, 2018, 05:38:27 PM »
There have been a few posts using different colours in wardrobe capsules on the vivienne files recently which might give ideas.
I never want to copy the wardrobes exactly, but do like the colour combos sometimes.

http://www.theviviennefiles.com/

This one is almost my colour scheme - brown, teal and burgundy
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 05:41:10 PM by Sew Ruthie Sews »

Offline KayoticSewing

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #644 on: January 01, 2018, 06:41:51 PM »
KayoticSewing - sounds like you've got very good value out of your SWAP participation so far !
I do the same thing - making a SWAPlan really clarifies my thinking about what I want.  But actually sewing to a plan does not work for me.  Sewing is a hobby and I need to go where the spirit moves. . .

Yes Lisanne, It was a wonderful exercise, indeed and I got great value out of the planning. I like how you worded it - ‘Sewing is a hobby and  I need to go where the spirit moves...’

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #645 on: January 01, 2018, 07:05:36 PM »
That image of the brown, teal etc. from the Vivienne files has made me realise why I’ve been struggling with my plan. She has a lot of variation in the “browns” in that collection - when we pick a neutral like brown can we choose variations as in that image and still be within the rules?  I think I’ve been getting too hung up on having to have exactly the same match.

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #646 on: January 01, 2018, 07:08:06 PM »
AS long as the shades of your colour are pretty close I think it's fine [it had better be cos I'm banking on using multiple remnants rather than lengthy yardage for many of my items!]
But remember, there is reference to rule-breaking in the interest of your design, so just take a deep breath and see what works
Apparently I'm a quintessential Gemini- but I think that's a load of b.s. myselves...

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #647 on: January 01, 2018, 07:51:01 PM »
Cheers dementedfairy  - I pulled a lot of fabrics out of drawers the other day and like you I’d like to work from my far too large stash but was getting hung up on getting colours too matched up.  Right, good excuse to make a mess in the sewing room  ;D and see what works to my eye and whittle down by how much yardage I’ve got.

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
« Reply #648 on: January 01, 2018, 08:08:17 PM »
That image of the brown, teal etc. from the Vivienne files has made me realise why I’ve been struggling with my plan. She has a lot of variation in the “browns” in that collection - when we pick a neutral like brown can we choose variations as in that image and still be within the rules?  I think I’ve been getting too hung up on having to have exactly the same match.
Since the original rules for this years SWAP say that each of us gets to be the designer, I am taking that to mean that we get to determine whether each of our neutrals are all exactly the same, or in the same range. I know that my indigo fabrics and my brown fabrics are not all one length of the same fabric, or even exactly the same color, since that would not work either for my own style, or for my fabrics in stash.
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #649 on: January 01, 2018, 08:15:33 PM »
Absolutely. I am the designer and I decide what brown is in my collection.
I also decide what is teal and turquoise and what is burgundy or claret.
As long as it works as a coherent collection at the end that's all that matters.

I am a BIG fan of using as much of your existing resources as is practical so would suggest you start with that approach and not buy extra fabric unless you have to.

Online angelsweb

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #650 on: January 01, 2018, 08:27:57 PM »
Absolutely. I am the designer and I decide what brown is in my collection.
I also decide what is teal and turquoise and what is burgundy or claret.
As long as it works as a coherent collection at the end that's all that matters.

I am a BIG fan of using as much of your existing resources as is practical so would suggest you start with that approach and not buy extra fabric unless you have to.

That's going to be my theme song for this collection, as well. Although I did succumb to a possible teal, brown, and white print at Joann's yesterday that came home with me, thanks to a half off coupon. But I think the rest of my SWAP can come from stash.

Off to dig through fabrics ...

Angelia

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #651 on: January 01, 2018, 08:32:17 PM »
Mine's developing into more of a re-fashioning fest, something I normally avoid like the plague!  I have 5 garments from the back of the wardrobe [not Narnia] to chop up and harvest for the SWAP.  Challenging!

Offline mudcat

• Subscribed Member
  • Sonoran Desert / subtropical
« Reply #652 on: January 02, 2018, 12:56:07 AM »
She has a lot of variation in the “browns” in that collection - when we pick a neutral like brown can we choose variations as in that image and still be within the rules?  I think I’ve been getting too hung up on having to have exactly the same match.

Yep it's within the rules ... while many of the RTW collections use the same fabric for many of their garments we home sewists are often trying to work with our existing stashes so we need to make sure our neutral shades/hues work with each other at least to the point that every garment will work with at least two outfits within our collection.

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #653 on: January 02, 2018, 07:33:41 AM »
Ruthie, your teal tee is wonderful!  How close is it to the darker teal, as it really speaks to me!

this top is slightly darker than this top, though the flash was brighter in the first so they don't reaslly look it, they are pretty close imho.

These tops are darker, with the smooth one being slightly lighter, but these are also close to each other and darker than the ones above.

Depending on how my collection was working out I might call them all Teal or the lighter ones might be classed as Turquoise so they could be a colour rather than a neutral.
Similarly with the browns if something is quite a lot lighter I might say it was stone, mink etc, but the darker brown could be chocolate.

Offline auntnina

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #654 on: January 02, 2018, 10:54:07 PM »
Just popping in to say I’m avidly following all of our SWAP plans, but won’t be joining in (again). Last year I came up with a plan but was unable to execute it due to illness. This year, I just have too much to deal with to even think about it. On top of losing my dad a little over a month ago, my husband also just accepted a new job in another state, so I’ve been dealing with grief, traveling for his job interviews, looking for a new home, getting our house sold, and packing up to move at the end of this month.

We’re moving from Oklahoma to South Dakota, where it’s quite a bit colder on average throughout the winter months. I spent yesterday sewing several pairs of warm leggings (stretch French terry and merino) and intend to have some merino camisoles done before I go to bed tonight. Then, on to long sleeved merino tees, if I have time. If not, those will have to wait until we’ve moved and unpacked. I guess I could put together a base layer SWAP, but don’t want to be stressed about getting it done on time and making sure that everything works together.

So, I’ll just be watching and admiring all of your work this time around.
"People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed. Never throw out anyone." Audrey Hepburn

Offline Diane in WV

« Reply #655 on: January 02, 2018, 11:14:50 PM »
Wish you were moving to West Virginia, it's cold, but not as cold as where you are going.
Let's talk about math

Offline KayoticSewing

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #656 on: January 02, 2018, 11:26:46 PM »
Just popping in to say I’m avidly following all of our SWAP plans, but won’t be joining in (again). Last year I came up with a plan but was unable to execute it due to illness. This year, I just have too much to deal with to even think about it. On top of losing my dad a little over a month ago, my husband also just accepted a new job in another state, so I’ve been dealing with grief, traveling for his job interviews, looking for a new home, getting our house sold, and packing up to move at the end of this month.

We’re moving from Oklahoma to South Dakota, where it’s quite a bit colder on average throughout the winter months. I spent yesterday sewing several pairs of warm leggings (stretch French terry and merino) and intend to have some merino camisoles done before I go to bed tonight. Then, on to long sleeved merino tees, if I have time. If not, those will have to wait until we’ve moved and unpacked. I guess I could put together a base layer SWAP, but don’t want to be stressed about getting it done on time and making sure that everything works together.

So many changes in so less time... I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. Big hugs!  I've never been to South Dakota and have only read of the winter there. You are very smart to make merino baselayers - I use long sleeve close neck merino tees as baselayers and love them.

Online angelsweb

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #657 on: January 03, 2018, 05:41:02 AM »

So many changes in so less time... I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. Big hugs!  I've never been to South Dakota and have only read of the winter there. You are very smart to make merino baselayers - I use long sleeve close neck merino tees as baselayers and love them.

Good luck on your move. I know it's tough to plan a move when you're already grieving. Please allow yourself time to do whatever you need to do to cope with that. My father passed away a week after we moved hundreds of miles away, so I can relate to the challenges you are facing ... Sending hugs.

Angelia

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #658 on: January 03, 2018, 07:35:19 AM »
Auntnina, wishing you well with your move.

Elephun, you are making great progress there, and the little ties on the ankles of the trousers are a lovely detail.

I seem to have got spectacularly side tracked into a big teal-a-thon, only small sections of which are part of my actual SWAP plan. Hmmm. I don't know whether to wallow in it and enjoy myself or speak to myself very firnly about staying on plan.... or change my plan at this point to teal and brown + turquoise and tan. I probably ought to remind myself about the rules!

Offline dementedfairy

« Reply #659 on: January 03, 2018, 09:42:16 AM »
@auntnina that's a helluva lot on one plate.  Best wishes as you work your way through, and hope you get to use your creativity as therapy

I've been having a cut-athon and so far have 4 garments ready to start sewing.  Not as much as I would normally have done in the time, but I have been slowed down [dramatically] by my attempt to use existing remnants or re-cut unworn garments.  This is making each task into a mathematical jigsaw, and requires much repinning, faffing and cursing.  It does make for great satisfaction when the pieces obligingly fall into place though.

Some simpler cutting today-straightforward yardage, no piecing.  Well, that's the plan!

Hope you are [mostly] all making progress

Offline Helen M

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #660 on: January 03, 2018, 01:08:12 PM »
I'm enjoying reading all your details, I'm in awe of it all!

AuntNina look after yourself, your life is turning upside down. Thinking of you in it all.
Sewing in Cheshire

Online sewsy

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #661 on: January 03, 2018, 02:39:47 PM »
Good luck with the move AuntNina. Maybe you'll be moving near sdbev.

Offline indigotiger

• Subscribed Member
    • Acorn Cottage Artisanry
« Reply #662 on: January 03, 2018, 08:14:40 PM »
AuntNina... we will be cheering you on while you are on your journey
The Things that Make us Happy Make us Wise.

Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage ~ Acorn Cottage Artisanry

"It is known (to some) that by dwelling in the present, conceding what is necessary to past and future, but no more than is necessary, it is quite possible to live happily ever after"      - Edgar Pangborn

Offline Sew Ruthie Sews

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #663 on: January 03, 2018, 08:34:38 PM »
Indigotiger, your Alabama Chanin style cardigan is looking lovely. I really like the contrast of the colours and the layout of the motifs. It flows so nicely.

Offline Turquoise

• Subscribed Member
« Reply #664 on: January 03, 2018, 08:42:23 PM »

what sort of things are people planning for the optional accessory?

I have some grey fabric that is very similar to one of your burgundy tops Ruthie (the one with the circles) and hope to make a cape like this one https://www.mintvelvet.co.uk/product/charcoal-marl-pom-pom-poncho/12424

I’ve been around and around with fabrics in my stash trying to decide things for the SWAP.  This morning after a weekend of decorating and getting behind with the laundry I realised that I don’t have enough warm, casual clothes for working from home.  I think I’ll start with a Winter 6PAC to fill this gap and just keep plugging away at planning the SWAP stuff.

I've finally sewn something for this SWAP rather than just go around and around looking at options  ;D.